DJing Discussion

This area is for discussion about DJing in general. Please remember the community rules when posting and try to be polite and inclusive.

TERRIBLE NEWS... New DJM 900 is Traktor Certified

RAYSH 12:13 PM - 18 February, 2011
Laz219 12:37 PM - 18 February, 2011
Everyone has been talking about this for a long time already...
The Return of Dj Sparky 2:13 PM - 18 February, 2011
Raysh that means you can't use your serato RCA cables on that mixer
RAYSH 3:16 PM - 18 February, 2011
Quote:
Raysh that means you can't use your serato RCA cables on that mixer

no need for being a wise ass
spirez 3:42 PM - 18 February, 2011
I do kinda feel serato missed the boat on having only Rane mixers certified for SSL. Pioneer mixers are pretty much standard, in some form, in most bars/clubs in the UK. I've never seen a Rane mixer installed.

So if this Nexus becomes the new standard, surely Traktor is going to become a lot more attractive. Especially with the new update.
RAYSH 3:44 PM - 18 February, 2011
Quote:
if this Nexus becomes the new standard, surely Traktor is going to become a lot more attractive

my fear exactly.. escescially since it's predecessor the DJM 800 was so popular in clubs
Dj-M.Bezzle 3:54 PM - 18 February, 2011
Quote:
I do kinda feel serato missed the boat on having only Rane mixers certified for SSL. Pioneer mixers are pretty much standard, in some form, in most bars/clubs in the UK. I've never seen a Rane mixer installed.

So if this Nexus becomes the new standard, surely Traktor is going to become a lot more attractive. Especially with the new update.

who cares throw and sl4 in it and its off to the races
RogerRabbit 4:51 PM - 18 February, 2011
Quote:
Quote:

if this Nexus becomes the new standard, surely Traktor is going to become a lot more attractive

my fear exactly.. escescially since it's predecessor the DJM 800 was so popular in clubs

Why you got stock in the Serato company?
grrillatactics 5:00 PM - 18 February, 2011
For every venue that has an 800, there are probably just as many venues that have an SL-1, SL-3, or maybe soon an SL-4. In an install situation, having an SL box and a TS Certified mixer means that everyone using one of these 2 DVS systems will have an easy time setting up and rocking the party. No more disconnecting one DVS box for another, just leave the Rane hardware connected to the mixer and everyone is happy and ready to go.

At home, I currently have my Audio DJ8 plugged into my TTM57SL. Now if any of my DJ friends want to swing by for some mixing, it's easy as can be. If they use Traktor or Traktor Scratch, then I will use SSL, and vice versa. Having that kind of flexibility in a venue will be a fantastic change.
RAYSH 5:45 PM - 18 February, 2011
Quote:
For every venue that has an 800, there are probably just as many venues that have an SL-1, SL-3, or maybe soon an SL-4

That may be the case where you're from but i doubt it's the case worldwide
RAYSH 5:49 PM - 18 February, 2011
Quote:
Why you got stock in the Serato company?

No, because if the DJM900 becomes industry standard - which is highly likely seeing as its an upgrade from the DJM800, then we won't be able to use all the cool features that traktor users get...it will encourage more and more people to get traktor, especially since they just released the new version and this will in turn be bad for serato, therefore, us
DJ Remy USA 7:49 PM - 18 February, 2011
Look at it like this. Real DJs can use any setup no matter the hardware.
JD 9:51 PM - 18 February, 2011
Why is it a fear or terrible if some djs use another DVS... its just a medium to play music people... you guys crack me up.
Dj-M.Bezzle 9:54 PM - 18 February, 2011
Quote:
Why is it a fear or terrible if some djs use another DVS... its just a medium to play music people... you guys crack me up.

the idea being that the dominant DVS system will be the one to draw in 3rd party manufactureres, and the dominant DVS system will have more money and reason to develop next gen ish
RogerRabbit 10:21 PM - 18 February, 2011
Quote:
Quote:

the idea being that the dominant DVS system will be the one to draw in 3rd party manufactureres, and the dominant DVS system will have more money and reason to develop next gen ish

All you need is talented/creative programmers - not necessarily more money..
Dj-M.Bezzle 10:55 PM - 18 February, 2011
Quote:
Quote:

Quote:

All you need is talented/creative programmers - not necessarily more money..

and you will be paying those talented\creative programmers with....?? or is the talented\creative programmer pool full of undercutters and freegrammers to
Turok 11:22 PM - 18 February, 2011
Quote:

Quote:

Exactly. Technology changes, but people's ears stay the same. Learn the theory and think in terms of what you want to accomplish, and so long as the tool you use lets you accomplish those goals, it doesn't matter what that tool is.
djchrischip 12:26 AM - 19 February, 2011
Quote:
Quote:

+1
djchrischip 12:27 AM - 19 February, 2011
Quote:

Quote:

+1 2 both
Rob Pointer 1:44 AM - 19 February, 2011
Quote:
Quote:

That's the perfect set up to handle both DVS platforms. I suspect that it will become the standard or extremely pervasive.
reggae delgado 2:28 AM - 19 February, 2011
Quote:
Quote:

Quote:

That's the perfect set up to handle both DVS platforms. I suspect that it will become the standard or extremely pervasive.

you can also just throw an audio whatever tracktor interface into a rane 68 and have the best of both worlds (ok, maybe less effects and more buttons!)
DJDeluchi 2:29 AM - 19 February, 2011
im sure there is something in the works for use guys might be the namm 2012 announcement

or there could be a 900 nexus S version for serato in the near future

if not its not really an issue as the 68 is there for the 4 channel market and its around the say price i would think
jevo9 2:43 AM - 19 February, 2011
Quote:
im sure there is something in the works for use guys might be the namm 2012 announcement

or there could be a 900 nexus S version for serato in the near future

if not its not really an issue as the 68 is there for the 4 channel market and its around the say price i would think

Rane sixty eight or djm 900 nexus? What would you guys pick
DJMark 3:04 AM - 19 February, 2011
For just the sound quality, I would pick the 68.

Pioneer mixers just do not sound very good. The newer ones are definitely better than the completely craptastic DJM-500/600, but I still find them lacking compared to better-sounding mixers like Rane and the higher-end A&H models.

Plus the durability of Pioneer mixers in an install situation has always been a problem. The innards of Pioneer mixers are built like consumer products.

As far as Pioneer hopping into bed with Traktor/NI...BFD. Didn't they also introduce an Itch-specific controller/mixer recently?
djchrischip 3:08 AM - 19 February, 2011
but how sexy lookin is the 900 daamn!!!!!!!!!!
fredware 4:24 AM - 19 February, 2011
honestly I have heard from some of the top vegas DJs that they hate Rane and they would go with pioneer. but they absolutely love serato. so in the end, people stick with what they like. just cuz pioneer teamed with traktor, doesn't mean its over for serato.

friendly competition is always good. this should be considered GOOD news. competition = lower prices = and that's what we need!!!!!
DJMark 4:36 AM - 19 February, 2011
Quote:
but how sexy lookin is the 900 daamn!!!!!!!!!!

Sexy-looking equipment doesn't impress me in the least, if the innards are mediocre shit.
reggae delgado 7:19 AM - 19 February, 2011
Yeah I'd be curious about the 68 vs 900 as well. I just bought a 68 & love it, upgrading from a pio 600. I like the effects on the pioneer better, but that's a very small part of what I do. Rane's better crossfader is huge for me.
It's funny, as a young DJ my intro to both rane & pioneer was in installations, and I was appalled by the quality of the rane even though everyone I talked to at the time was pushing it (this was '98, the Key Club on Sunset in LA had one). Later, I met the pioneer 600 & loved it, but had also learned that the condition of ALL installed mixers is crappy. Nowadays I defintely prefer to run across rane installed, but what do y'all think?
valdini 7:56 AM - 19 February, 2011
Quote:

I wish folks would stop harping on like the 68 is going to be a club instal... its not and never will... simply does not have the marketing clout / industry drive behind it which is a real shame.

Am gutted this Pioneer DJM900 is only TS certified, with the recent Itch controller from Pioneer for SSL I am sure Serato would have been offered a shot at this long ago but no doubt would have been around the time the 68 launched with the Rane 'handcuffs' still firmly in place :(

I have been impressed with the new 'look' of the new TS software, and if after a couple of months I see it performing rock solid for my friends am pretty sure I'll jump ship.

Love SSL, but simply put 90% of 'decent' clubs will have the Pioneer 900 as install standard within a short space of the release (much as the 800 did) and being able to fully control TS on this hardware will be a massive plus.

Am gutted SSL do not look like being a part of this going forward, with the TS marketing savy and now seemingly tight relationship with Pioneer it certainly looks like there will be one side forging the lead as the main DVS player sadly.

Factor in that outside of the US / HipHop community TS is by far the more dominant DVS and the signs are not great.

We can b1tch all we like about 'paid' updates etc... but any real working DJ does not care about this and will pay to have the best Software going, free is nice, but most would simply prefer to pay up to get the features / specs they need without the wait - as long as they are stable (previous big issue for TS in my mind which now seems to be vastly improved).

I'd love to see the SL4 in most spots, but when faced with the decision to grab one of these units or pay double for a fully fledged Pioneer DJM900 I think I know what most venues will plump for.

I guess all those SL1 users will be happy as the SL3 market kicks off with the ship jumpers!

K
Rob Pointer 4:01 PM - 19 February, 2011
what you wrote above is why marketing is so important. You've been swayed by perception before anything has actually been released or seen the real world outcome.

might want to think about that as you analyze your choices.
RAYSH 4:14 PM - 19 February, 2011
Quote:
ou've been swayed by perception

is it not safe to assume that the 900 will eventually become a dominant club mixer?
Rob Pointer 4:58 PM - 19 February, 2011
it will take a bit, but yeah, I think that's a safe assumption.

What I'm talking about is perceived notion that this will make NI the dominant player in DVS.

They want you to think that. So does Serato. But the rational thing before jumping ship (after a couple of months from this point) is to wait a lot longer than that to see what happens - especially if you are already using a system that works for you.

It is not a trivial matter to switch platforms if you have a large musc collection. I know this because I used TSP for a few year before switching to Itch a few months ago.

The feature sets still don't compare and Itch is better suited for the working DJ with playlist management and flexible beatgridding.

But this new 900 coupled with an SL4 seems like the real club install option. And trust me, when the Traktor user sees two Serato DJs switching without stoping anything because of the dual USB ports and they can't do that, it will cause some pause IMO.

This is because they will see the value in that when they aren't stuck behind the 900.

All the clubs, techno jocks, that I know request a Xone series mixer for the audio quality. Pioneer is very rarely on riders that I get from artists that I book, FWIW.
djchrischip 7:03 PM - 19 February, 2011
Quote:
But this new 900 coupled with an SL4 seems like the real club install option. And trust me, when the Traktor user sees two Serato DJs switching without stoping anything because of the dual USB ports and they can't do that, it will cause some pause IMO.

+1
DJ Sniffles 12:30 AM - 20 February, 2011
I can't wait.... Totally ready to get my hands on a 900!!!!
blackavenger 7:14 PM - 20 February, 2011
Quote:
Rane sixty eight or djm 900 nexus? What would you guys pick

If I were a club owner, I would go w' the Nexus-900. Why? Because EVERY touring (electronic) DJ that were to play at my club will be requesting this thing within the next year. Not so many for the Sixty-Eight.

I don't think this is a bad thing for Serato. I rather like the idea of a club being able to purchase the 900 and get the benefit of having the Industry Standard Mixer, along with the ability to run the 2 most widely used DVS' all with minimal confusion.

Tell me this wouldn't be a dope ass set up for a club:

(1) Nexus-900
(1) Traktor Scratch Pro 2 (Audio 10)
(1) Rane/Serato SL4

Now there can be tag sessions carried out between Four DJs using Two different DVS'.....awesome!

Then again, do you think it would be possible for (1) DJ using TSP2 via the Nexus' Soundcard to transfer seamlessly from (1) DJ playing on TSP2 via the Audio10 ?? If not, my point is moot!
blackavenger 7:21 PM - 20 February, 2011
Quote:
All the clubs, techno jocks, that I know request a Xone series mixer for the audio quality. Pioneer is very rarely on riders that I get from artists that I book, FWIW.

That may be true for Techno, but all the DJs (DnB, House, Breaks, Dubstep, & some Techno) I've been involved in booking have requested Pioneer mixers.....it was the 600, then the 800.....and I'm sure it will progress to the 900 once it drops.

Techno DJs are a special breed. They actually give a shit about fidelity. Most of the others out there just want a mixer that's easy to use....one that they're familiar with.
Rob Pointer 9:45 PM - 20 February, 2011
Quote:
Quote:

Techno DJs are a special breed. They actually give a shit about fidelity. Most of the others out there just want a mixer that's easy to use....one that they're familiar with.

yeah, that's true. We do care about fidelity because often times without that fidelity you miss or don't get across what the producer of the track intends you to hear. This is especially true when spinning minimal styled techno.

Nothing beats the Xone:92 for the best all around mixer for these kinds of artists. Maybe the DB4 will supplant it, but I doubt it.
Audio1 9:46 PM - 20 February, 2011
I dont see how being a Traktor Certified mixer makes this terrible news. LOL
RogerRabbit 10:06 PM - 20 February, 2011
Quote:

You have to be a level-10 fanboy to understand it - you must only be a level 5 :)
valdini 7:13 AM - 21 February, 2011
I am clinging to the hope that Rane update the Empath to include some of the key midi functionality of the 68 and USB etc.... however that would kind of make the 68 redundant as lots of folks only ever wanted an Empath SL with some midi action :)

K
Audio1 7:51 AM - 21 February, 2011
Quote:
Quote:

You have to be a level-10 fanboy to understand it - you must only be a level 5 :)
Naw...
DJ_SCOOBY 7:53 AM - 21 February, 2011
Is it connected through LAN?
DJ_SCOOBY 8:15 AM - 21 February, 2011
nvm i see it...who the hell puts a usb port on the TOP of a mixer
rlaci 9:07 AM - 21 February, 2011
my friend always hated serato becouse of its gui and because we all have serato i think...

now he decided to sell his traktor and getting serato stuff, because his system is not working anymore on macbook with 10.6 well....there is a lack of support....it was optimized for 10.5 as he said and now his system is crashing...

i do not think anything could be better than serato, what is actually without any support

and i do hate rather the traktor shiny viny interface :D

just my 2cents
DJ Unique 9:22 AM - 21 February, 2011
Quote:

Me neither.
I show up to a club & see a working mixer, plug in my SL3 & everything is working, then that's awesome news. I really don't care if it's Traktor certified or that people are gonna jump ship.
s3kn0tr0n1c 10:08 AM - 21 February, 2011
Dont see why its terrible news - competition is good.........
DJJOHNNYM_vSL3 6:14 PM - 21 February, 2011
Quote:
Quote:

LMAO.
RAYSH 6:29 PM - 21 February, 2011
man fuck this fanboy shit - you would have to be blind not seeing the long term implications for a traktor/pioneer alliance
blackavenger 7:03 PM - 21 February, 2011
Quote:
man fuck this fanboy shit - you would have to be blind not seeing the long term implications for a traktor/pioneer alliance

What? Do you think that this "one" mixer is going to be the downfall of Rane/Serato? Get real, man!
sacrilicious 7:31 PM - 21 February, 2011
I just wish Pioneer mixers sounded better and had EQs I could actually mix with. Even my used Numark 1002x from ten years ago could accomplish better blending.
blackavenger 7:37 PM - 21 February, 2011
Quote:
I just wish Pioneer mixers sounded better and had EQs I could actually mix with. Even my used Numark 1002x from ten years ago could accomplish better blending.

As do I , but for whatever reason, Pioneer ARE the Club Standard....and always will be in the minds of many!
DjWoody 7:44 PM - 21 February, 2011
I'm actually thinking of selling my DJM 800 to upgrade to this. Hmmm very tempting.
Mr. Goodkat 8:17 PM - 21 February, 2011
bottom line is that if you work at clubs pioneer is the standard. this makes it more appealing to use traktor, but its not going to make ssl obselete. The 68 vs 900 isnt even an argument, there is no comparison as far as clubs go, the 68 will NEVER be a club standard. the Pioneer 800 already is THE standard. the 68 should be totally scrapped and redesigned completely. if there was ever an edsel of mixers this was it. great concept, terrible execution.
DJJOHNNYM_vSL3 8:31 PM - 21 February, 2011
Quote:
if there was ever an edsel of mixers this was it. great concept, terrible execution.

Damn son.
Turok 8:33 PM - 21 February, 2011
Quote:
if there was ever an edsel of mixers this was it. great concept, terrible execution.

I wonder how many of the kids on this board are going over to wikipedia to find out what this Edsel thing is all about.

And now, back to my Metamucil.
DjWoody 8:34 PM - 21 February, 2011
Quote:
bottom line is that if you work at clubs pioneer is the standard. this makes it more appealing to use traktor, but its not going to make ssl obselete. The 68 vs 900 isnt even an argument, there is no comparison as far as clubs go, the 68 will NEVER be a club standard. the Pioneer 800 already is THE standard. the 68 should be totally scrapped and redesigned completely. if there was ever an edsel of mixers this was it. great concept, terrible execution.

Yeap! For some reason, I don't find the 68 appealing to me at all. I'm more excited about the SL4 than the 68.
Dj Bacik 9:04 PM - 21 February, 2011
This is more than a traktor mixer. It will most likely be able to be used on VDJ and others. So in a way pioneer positioned themselves to be the universal mixer. With both external sound cards and an internal one.
Mr. Goodkat 9:29 PM - 21 February, 2011
why would anyone use vdj with a 2500$ mixer?
Dj Bacik 9:37 PM - 21 February, 2011
Ive seen people hookup a maya44usb to a djm 800 and use vdj. Nothing is out of the realm of possibility here.
Mr. Goodkat 9:45 PM - 21 February, 2011
well, i can see that, but this new 900 has a usb in, so i assume he was talking about going straight into the mixer with vdj. then again, i guess i forget about the nonsense that rich kids inevitably add to any conversation.
DJ Jonasty 9:58 PM - 21 February, 2011
If you can't mix with a pioneer eq you must be doing it wrong I don't get it. Turn knob left bass Is gone. Turn it right and bass is there. What seems to be the issue? Maybe you're on some next level dj shit we don't know about yet.
Rob Pointer 10:00 PM - 21 February, 2011
lol

the new 900 has the isolator function which will make it very good for mixing IMO. you can switch the EQ to be regular or Isoator type.

Isolator makes a complete kill of the frequency. Nice.
djchrischip 10:14 PM - 21 February, 2011
Quote:
lol

the new 900 has the isolator function which will make it very good for mixing IMO. you can switch the EQ to be regular or Isoator type.

Isolator makes a complete kill of the frequency. Nice.

@ rob pointer continue with the explanation of this isolator feature
sacrilicious 10:26 PM - 21 February, 2011
Quote:
If you can't mix with a pioneer eq you must be doing it wrong I don't get it. Turn knob left bass Is gone. Turn it right and bass is there. What seems to be the issue? Maybe you're on some next level dj shit we don't know about yet.

One of my spots has a DJM 600 install and the bass EQ definitely doesn't do a full kill. I can't speak on 800s.
DJ Jonasty 10:39 PM - 21 February, 2011
Oh right no kill on 600 I got cha. My 2000 has full kill. it's pretty nice.
DjWoody 10:46 PM - 21 February, 2011
Quote:
why would anyone use vdj with a 2500$ mixer?

Cuz some DJ's simply like VDJ and prefer it over Serato. I know quite a few of those DJ's.
StreetFighta 10:51 PM - 21 February, 2011
Quote:
bottom line is that if you work at clubs pioneer is the standard. this makes it more appealing to use traktor, but its not going to make ssl obselete. The 68 vs 900 isnt even an argument, there is no comparison as far as clubs go, the 68 will NEVER be a club standard. the Pioneer 800 already is THE standard.

This is pretty much the same as the Traktor vs Scratch Live argument.
nik39 11:36 PM - 21 February, 2011
Quote:
This is more than a traktor mixer. It will most likely be able to be used on VDJ and others. So in a way pioneer positioned themselves to be the universal mixer. With both external sound cards and an internal one.

Both external sound cards and one internal? What are you referring to?
Dj Bacik 12:19 AM - 22 February, 2011
You can hook up your sl1/3/4 (external sound card) and it has a built in one.
nik39 12:23 AM - 22 February, 2011
Doesn't make sense. Because the same would apply to a 68 and a tractor certified soundcard.
Dj Bacik 12:27 AM - 22 February, 2011
But the 68 can use serato only. The 900 can be used by other programs than just traktor.
Konix 12:31 AM - 22 February, 2011
The 68 has ASIO/CoreAudio drivers. You can use the 68's soundcard(s) for Traktor, Ableton, Virtual DJ or any other program that supports ASIO/CoreAudio.
Dj Bacik 12:32 AM - 22 February, 2011
See I didn't know that. Now I stand corrected.
Audio1 1:46 AM - 22 February, 2011
Quote:
Quote:

Me neither.
I show up to a club & see a working mixer, plug in my SL3 & everything is working, then that's awesome news. I really don't care if it's Traktor certified or that people are gonna jump ship.
Thank you.... People expect everything to be Serato ready. Clubs are never realistic.
DJ Remy USA 4:18 AM - 22 February, 2011
This is why I rock a 57 now. I dont care if I have space were I am at to set it up. It goes up. I'd rather use a 57 over any other mixer
jfk 4:45 AM - 3 March, 2011
if you wanna worry about something, it should really be the sound quality issues that are gonna pop up. everyone knows that CDJs, and particularly CDJs plugged in digitally to the DJM800 sound louder and better than serato, even playing wavs. its cause the D/A converter in the CDJ or mixer is much better than in the serato box. anyone whos worked in a studio understands the importance of your A/D D/A converter. anyway, point is that with traktor working inside the mixer, traktor users get to play through the same D/A converter as the people playing CDJs, but serato users will still only sound as good as the converters serato feels like putting in their boxes. anyone whos followed people playing CDJs in a club knows what im talking about. you gotta crank the gain knobs way up and the bass as well, and you still dont get the same tone quality as the CD.
djchrischip 6:44 AM - 3 March, 2011
Quote:
if you wanna worry about something, it should really be the sound quality issues that are gonna pop up. everyone knows that CDJs, and particularly CDJs plugged in digitally to the DJM800 sound louder and better than serato, even playing wavs. its cause the D/A converter in the CDJ or mixer is much better than in the serato box. anyone whos worked in a studio understands the importance of your A/D D/A converter. anyway, point is that with traktor working inside the mixer, traktor users get to play through the same D/A converter as the people playing CDJs, but serato users will still only sound as good as the converters serato feels like putting in their boxes. anyone whos followed people playing CDJs in a club knows what im talking about. you gotta crank the gain knobs way up and the bass as well, and you still dont get the same tone quality as the CD.

is this true???? SERATO MODS?
Rob Pointer 6:49 AM - 3 March, 2011
Serato doesn't put anything in boxes. Rane and Numark, etc. do.

not sure what you are talking about. I'm sure they differ in some measure between your options...

but you made it like Serato controls the A/D converters as a single authority. This is hardly true.
djchrischip 6:52 AM - 3 March, 2011
Quote:
Serato doesn't put anything in boxes. Rane and Numark, etc. do.

not sure what you are talking about. I'm sure they differ in some measure between your options...

but you made it like Serato controls the A/D converters as a single authority. This is hardly true.

plz explain bc i am sort of confused... to the long time forum members this is no surprise...(i m really not technical or good with the electronics stuff lol)
Rob Pointer 6:56 AM - 3 March, 2011
it just means that different manufacturers put different A/D converters in their products. Not Serato.

There are differences between Rane's offerings vs. Numark's etc.

Serato doesn't do the conversion at the analog stage, the manufacturers do.
DJ P Dot 7:01 AM - 3 March, 2011
It is true that Rane handles the A/D to D/A converters, but this also depends on which SL box you are using. the A/D to D/A converers on the SL3 (and probably the SL4) are waaaaaaay better than the SL1
djchrischip 7:03 AM - 3 March, 2011
thanks 4 the info...
AKIEM 8:50 PM - 3 March, 2011
Quote:

I have found what you are saying to not really be true. There was a couple rounds of comparison testing here a couple years back (cant find the threads) but generally the quality coming from Rane gear was the same or superior to what was coming out of the CDJ.

I think what is actually happening is a skewed perception because of the source material being used (mp3 rips vs cd). Also there might be a loudness issue, CDJ being louder at the analog level. So often people perceive louder as better.

But - I am all for some new rounds of blind testing.
DJ Jonasty 8:53 PM - 3 March, 2011
The cdjs are definitely louder. I have to gain up my sl3 to get them to equal out. They both sound great, just different.
Papa Midnight 10:22 PM - 3 March, 2011
Quote:

I think what is actually happening is a skewed perception because of the source material being used (mp3 rips vs cd). Also there might be a loudness issue, CDJ being louder at the analog level. So often people perceive louder as better.

But - I am all for some new rounds of blind testing.

I'm going to have to agree. Till I saw a well-done blind-test session, I'd honestly have legitimate grounds to argue for the Placebo effect.

Quote:
Quote:

Damn son.

int.na.tl
Picachon 4:14 AM - 8 March, 2011
So you think buying a used djm800 would be a waste of money or Buy the new 900's
WarpNote 4:13 PM - 8 March, 2011
I'm guessing the 800 will somewhat drop in price once the 900 is on the market?
DJ P Dot 9:17 PM - 8 March, 2011
The retail on the 800 will more than likely stay the same just like the cdj 1000's did when the 2000's came out. You will however probably see a few more on craigslist and ebay pop up for people looking to upgrade
djchrischip 5:51 AM - 9 March, 2011
Quote:
I'm guessing the 800 will somewhat drop in price once the 900 is on the market?

+1
Rebelguy 4:15 PM - 9 March, 2011
I am not sure if it's a Northern California thing but most of the clubs I deal with up here have the Rane TTM-57 installed. District 30, in Sacramento, does have a DJM-800 installed but there is a 57 on hand for any DJs that request it. They have been hosting a lot of dope DJs since their grand opening (Bad Boy Bill, Spinbad, DJ Dan, Sasha, etc,) and most have requested the DJM-800. I do know they are getting an SL-4 when it is released as Serato seems to be the dominant DVS system with the DJs that come there.

In regard to traktor, the only one request I have heard about is for Sky Blue from LMFAO but that was for an input to hook up his Kontrol S4.

The DJM-800 is a GOOD, not great, all around mixer but it does a lot of stuff.
s3kn0tr0n1c 11:21 AM - 10 March, 2011
Quote:
nvm i see it...who the hell puts a usb port on the TOP of a mixer

i was thinking about this as my living room mixer maybe in a yr or so(i have 68 in studio).

This has put me right OFF..........WTF, that will just look retarded sticking out top....unless a 3 channel/empath SL comes out itll have to be another 68...

gonna take some massive saving up and sellin off old gear first tho...damm thi new tech is expensive
DJ P Dot 6:31 PM - 10 March, 2011
having the usb port on the face of the mixer actually makes way more sense if using this mixer as an install at a club. Easier for DJs to plug in and out without having to go to the back of the mixer.
Dj-M.Bezzle 7:59 PM - 10 March, 2011
Quote:
having the usb port on the face of the mixer actually makes way more sense if using this mixer as an install at a club. Easier for DJs to plug in and out without having to go to the back of the mixer.

+1
Mr. Goodkat 8:03 PM - 10 March, 2011
Quote:

The DJM-800 is a GOOD, not great, all around mixer but it does a lot of stuff.

the key to it is that pretty much anyone can walk up to it and use it. simplicity can be key in certain situaions.
reggae delgado 8:12 PM - 10 March, 2011
Quote:

For ONE dj to plug & unplug :)
blackavenger 8:25 PM - 10 March, 2011
Quote:

Sorta', but you have to admit it's kinda gimmicky! As it stands now, Audio4/8's & SL1/3's are hooked up to the back of the mixer, then either a long USB cable or USB extender are brought around to the side, or top, so that DJs can plug their laptops in.

Pioneer's approach is not really necessary, "EVEN" in Permanent Club Installs.
Dj-M.Bezzle 11:04 PM - 10 March, 2011
Quote:
Quote:

Sorta', but you have to admit it's kinda gimmicky! As it stands now, Audio4/8's & SL1/3's are hooked up to the back of the mixer, then either a long USB cable or USB extender are brought around to the side, or top, so that DJs can plug their laptops in.

Pioneer's approach is not really necessary, "EVEN" in Permanent Club Installs.

ya your exactly right having to have an extra extender cord just to plug in is obviously easier than just putting the point at an always accessable point to begin with
blackavenger 1:32 AM - 11 March, 2011
Quote:
ya your exactly right having to have an extra extender cord just to plug in is obviously easier than just putting the point at an always accessible point to begin with

You are seriously the most sarcastic mofo' on these forums! You know I'm right. Regardless, if you scroll up, you'll see that I have been praising this mixer since it was first premiered. No hate, just pointing out the obvious!
Dj-M.Bezzle 5:45 PM - 11 March, 2011
Quote:
No hate, just pointing out the obvious!

the obvious being that its easier to make sure you have an extension cord running fromt he back of the mixer to the front\top rather than just putting the acutual connection on top?
AKIEM 6:05 PM - 11 March, 2011
agreeing with bezzle - connection on top is gimmick

installations should have a mounted usb pass through port at laptop positions
DJ P Dot 7:26 PM - 11 March, 2011
akiem: ummm bezzle was being sarcastic
WarpNote 7:36 PM - 11 March, 2011
Would'nt a top mount port be more exposed for dirt and grit?
AKIEM 7:41 PM - 11 March, 2011
oh LOL

well here is whats wrong with a top side USB

1) wear from fuckers plugging and unplugging every day
2) without one on the back - stupid for clean instillation
3) looks cluttered

if its not installed, how hard is to share a cable with the next DJ?

if it is installed, use a couple short extension, for each position
better yet build in plug at each laptop positions
Dj-M.Bezzle 7:46 PM - 11 March, 2011
Quote:

so putting it in the back cuts down on the amount of times something is plugged\unplugged??

Quote:

Quote:

if its not installed, how hard is to share a cable with the next DJ?

can be difficult if the DJ whose cord it is needs to leave

Quote:

if it is installed, use a couple short extension, for each position
better yet build in plug at each laptop positions

so once again somone saying the more effective solution is buying extra equipment to mimik what is being done here in the 1st place?
AKIEM 7:52 PM - 11 March, 2011
Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

so putting it in the back cuts down on the amount of times something is plugged\unplugged??

yes
if its in a club you leave a usb extension in it
(guess that would preclude being smart enough)

if its not an install, leave the cable in for the next dj

=

less pluggin/unplugging
WarpNote 8:32 PM - 11 March, 2011
Quote:
Would'nt a top mount port be more exposed for dirt and grit?

Not that I really care, unless someone hacks it to work with SSL, I'll Still bring my SL box or 68...
Picachon 12:42 AM - 12 March, 2011
Therefore I can use my sl3 with djm900 and my library wont loose any quality because its going thru 2 different soundcards or you hook it up for it not to go thru the internal soundcard. Contemplating on buying 900?
blackavenger 7:58 AM - 12 March, 2011
Quote:
Quote:

No hate, just pointing out the obvious!

the obvious being that its easier to make sure you have an extension cord running fromt he back of the mixer to the front\top rather than just putting the acutual connection on top?

No, Bezzle.....the club would have the extension already running from the back of the mixer to the front/side. Then all you would have to do is hook "your" USB as you would normally. Haven't you even spun on a Club Install of ScratchLIVE? I have, and all I had to do was plug my USB cable into the USB Extension that they already had hooked up to the inaccessible (hidden) SL3. That was the point I was making. Clubs are already doing it the way I had described. It IS A GIMMICK to have the USB on the top...I don't care what any of you have to say in opposition.
blackavenger 8:16 AM - 12 March, 2011
Regardless, I rather like the idea of a Pioneer mixer w' TSP Certification. I know of a club that already plans (upon my suggestion) to buy one, as well as an SL4. They already have an Audio8 and an SL1 hooked up to a DJM-1000. The new setup is going to make for some serious flexibility. It's gonna' be a win/win for everyone....can't wait!!
DJ TOGTFO 10:00 AM - 12 March, 2011
Can someone please explain to me why this is "terrible news". Traktor is a very good product, and if I don't win the SL4 for doin that survey, I will be making the switch.
s3kn0tr0n1c 10:54 AM - 12 March, 2011
on closer look it has headphones comin out of top plate too...2 leads sticking up getting in the way of hands.....NO WAY im buying now.

The headphone jack placement is right in the way especially if you beat juggle.

And the each channel cant be send to fx independently (like 68) you have to use that horrible knob set-up which aint as flexible as having fx send punch ins for each channel...what if i want channel 1 and 3 fxed, then only channel 1...cant be done on the fly like 68

Was going to buy it but defo would rather save for 68 or hopefully buy the time i can afford a SL empath
The Return of Dj Sparky 2:21 PM - 12 March, 2011
Quote:
Can someone please explain to me why this is "terrible news". Traktor is a very good product, and if I don't win the SL4 for doin that survey, I will be making the switch.

Cause some fanboy noob thought it would be the end of the world and decided to post it.
phate 8:50 PM - 13 March, 2011
Quote:
on closer look it has headphones comin out of top plate too...2 leads sticking up getting in the way of hands.....NO WAY im buying now.

The headphone jack placement is right in the way especially if you beat juggle.

And the each channel cant be send to fx independently (like 68) you have to use that horrible knob set-up which aint as flexible as having fx send punch ins for each channel...what if i want channel 1 and 3 fxed, then only channel 1...cant be done on the fly like 68

Was going to buy it but defo would rather save for 68 or hopefully buy the time i can afford a SL empath

the headphone jack is in the same spot as the 800. i have no issues with it getting in the way, and neither do other guys ive seen using it like shiftee and a-trak
WarpNote 7:22 PM - 18 March, 2011
Talking about the headphone jack...
www.housecontainer.nl
Rob Pointer 8:19 PM - 18 March, 2011
ouch.
DJ Unique 2:13 AM - 19 March, 2011
Quote:
www.housecontainer.nl

Watchwww.youtube.com
djchrischip 3:10 AM - 19 March, 2011
Quote:
Quote:

www.housecontainer.nl

Watchwww.youtube.com

+1
s3kn0tr0n1c 3:50 PM - 21 March, 2011
thats no good......
djdragon 3:25 PM - 22 March, 2011
Quote:
www.housecontainer.nl

So it was desgined to work with JUST the Pioneer headphones? LOL
Dj-M.Bezzle 3:26 PM - 22 March, 2011
Quote:
Quote:

www.housecontainer.nl

So it was desgined to work with JUST the Pioneer headphones? LOL

No traktor has autosync so i would assume this mixer is suited more for headcansy or dre headphones, flashy furry rinestone headphones work well with this mixer