DJing Discussion

This area is for discussion about DJing in general. Please remember the community rules when posting and try to be polite and inclusive.

Best DJ Headphones?

DJ Trik Nixon 1:30 AM - 18 February, 2011
Hey guys, i'm looking for your opinion in two regards.

First I want to know, what the best headphones i can get for less than 200 are.

Second I want to know what the best headphones youve used are.

any and all input is appreciated, just trying to decide on what to buy
DJ TOGTFO 1:42 AM - 18 February, 2011
try the Sadfrse headphones. Light weight, great sounding.
Dj Farhan 10:40 PM - 18 February, 2011
^ haha, dude just search here man, i am sure it has been talked about before
Laz219 10:48 PM - 18 February, 2011
Skratchworx headphone group test.
www.skratchworx.com
DJLRock 11:53 PM - 18 February, 2011
v-moda, hdj2000, ultrasone dj1 pro, in ear's (probably the best for hearing everything and protecting your ears)
SELECT 12:21 AM - 19 February, 2011
53 mm drivers, allen heath xone xd-53
www.skratchworx.com
mikep 12:44 AM - 19 February, 2011
Yes, it has been discussed here a lot. And I keep tellin ou to check out KOSS. They are the best sounding I've used, have been studio standards for years and have lifetime warranty.
DjWoody 1:04 AM - 19 February, 2011
Sennheiser HD25II!!! Best Headphones I've ever owned! And they never broke on me!
D CA$H 3:10 AM - 19 February, 2011
Sony MDR V600.
www.sonystyle.com

Great sound, quality design and they seriously last forever. The first thing to go is the "leather" on the earpieces, but they rarely ever break. I'm on my 3rd pair in 17 years.
Turok 5:38 AM - 19 February, 2011
Sony MDR-V6 have been my go-to pair for a long time.
C. William 1:28 AM - 20 February, 2011
Quote:
Sennheiser HD25II!!! Best Headphones I've ever owned! And they never broke on me!

I just got these and LOVE them. Clear and crisp sound, small profile and comfortable.

I also got the two year full replacement warranty from guitar center as well so even if I break em they'll be replaced for free
spiker6750 2:14 AM - 20 February, 2011
for those who have the HD25, the cups don't swivel do they?
Laz219 10:43 AM - 20 February, 2011
25s don't swivel, they are still really practical without it though and skipping that joint is a good thing seeing as most headphones seem to break there.
DjWoody 11:04 AM - 20 February, 2011
Quote:

One does.
mkdva 12:26 PM - 20 February, 2011
Quote:
Quote:

One does.

Yes, and all parts of HD25 are available as a spare parts. My kids eat ear pads and cable. No problem for HD25. With all other headphones is a adifferent story.
spiker6750 4:04 PM - 20 February, 2011
Quote:
Quote:

One does.

good to know. I always tend to rock my headphones down, while monitoring with one ear by the headphones and the other open to live music. Is the one cup that swivels anything like the pioneer 1000s?
Discobee 5:27 PM - 21 February, 2011
Quote:
Yes, it has been discussed here a lot. And I keep tellin ou to check out KOSS. They are the best sounding I've used, have been studio standards for years and have lifetime warranty.

KOSS is super OG!

I like the Ultrasone DJ1. $140'ish.
DJ Walter 7:22 AM - 22 February, 2011
the beats make you look like a real pro dj
DJ GaFFle 2:39 PM - 22 February, 2011
Quote:

I'd get the Beats Pro if they weren't so damn expensive!
dj deedz 6:14 AM - 2 March, 2011
hd 25s. love ummm.
D CA$H 5:34 PM - 5 March, 2011
Quote:

is that a joke? Every 12 year old with way too much of mommy and daddy's money has a pair of beats.
DJ Ness Nice 5:53 PM - 5 March, 2011
i use allem n heath xone53... but krk makes headphones now, dont know too much bout em but i would def. look into them, they make gud studio monitors
D CA$H 7:56 PM - 6 March, 2011
WHat about those AIAIAIAI ones? anyone tried them?
BERTO 9:16 PM - 6 March, 2011
Quote:
i use allem n heath xone53... but krk makes headphones now, dont know too much bout em but i would def. look into them, they make gud studio monitors

My pops bought the krks ill let u know what they soundlike in a week or so my ear is busted right now
dj_soo 9:35 PM - 6 March, 2011
Quote:
Quote:

Quote:

One does.

good to know. I always tend to rock my headphones down, while monitoring with one ear by the headphones and the other open to live music. Is the one cup that swivels anything like the pioneer 1000s?

it's more like the technics cans. Don't swivel on a horizontal access but a vertical - works really nicely for those who like to monitor "telephone" style.
dj skraps 11:46 PM - 7 March, 2011
Quote:
Sony MDR V600.
www.sonystyle.com

Great sound, quality design and they seriously last forever. The first thing to go is the "leather" on the earpieces, but they rarely ever break. I'm on my 3rd pair in 17 years.

i actually flipped them around after they were chewed up...i acutally liked them even better that way...give it a try if you havent
e.rich 12:44 AM - 8 March, 2011
Quote:

i've had mine for a few months and i love them. wrote up a review with pics on my website if anybody is interested. www.dje-rich.com
DJ-BRAVO 12:46 AM - 8 March, 2011
+1000000 on the Sennhieser HD 25 II 's!!!!
D CA$H 2:27 AM - 8 March, 2011
Quote:
Quote:

Sony MDR V600.
www.sonystyle.com

how do i do this? what do you mean by "flip them around"?
i actually flipped them around after they were chewed up...i acutally liked them even better that way...give it a try if you havent
DJ GaFFle 2:31 AM - 8 March, 2011
I had a look and tried on the new Pioneer headphones. The are VERY light and light very nice wearing them BUT they have plenty of plastic pieces. At $349, I don't want any headphones with plastic construction. The have a Magnesium swivel mechanism but the housing of that Magnesium is still plastic... FAIL.
DJ GaFFle 2:32 AM - 8 March, 2011
DJ GaFFle 2:32 AM - 8 March, 2011
^^^ That model Pioneer, HDJ2000
DJWALDO 10:38 AM - 8 March, 2011
Quote:
^^^ That model Pioneer, HDJ2000

they break too

got a pair laying on my desk broke at the swivel....
D CA$H 3:16 AM - 9 March, 2011
Those look like poo.
DJLRock 3:20 AM - 9 March, 2011
get in ears
Devilboy4u247 4:28 AM - 23 March, 2011
Quote:
get in ears

Wow are you even a real DJ?
I cant believe you just said that.
In ears dont isolate sound at all.
DJ P Dot 5:07 AM - 23 March, 2011
Quote:
Quote:

get in ears

wow thats a real ignorant statement
Laz219 8:17 AM - 23 March, 2011
Quote:
Quote:

get in ears

Yep, by trying to make someone else look clueless you've made yourself look completely ignorant.
dj_soo 8:51 AM - 23 March, 2011
Quote:
Quote:

get in ears

yes they do. you just need to pay for the nice ones.
DJWALDO 9:16 AM - 23 March, 2011
i think he actually thinks when a real dj says in ears we mean beats by dre ear buds lmao

for the new kid
ultimateears.com

we mean those....
skratchworx 10:36 AM - 23 March, 2011
Perhaps DevilBoy is meant the one like iPods come with. They don't isolate one bit.

By definition, In-ear phones like Ultimate Ears isolate better than any headphone ever can or will. I have a pair - nothing like them for isolation.
Leo Mann 2:32 PM - 23 March, 2011
I owned a pair of technics dh1200 and those sounded good. They were built tough enough for a DJ but not angry girlfriend proof. She left that joker in pieces Jajaaa! I bought a pair of Sony v700 and they did not compare to the technics dh1200. The only thing better was that they were just a bit lighter and the ear cushion was softer. After a couple of months the v700 cracked at the swivel. I bought some Dre power beats for jogging/working out and I decided to give them a try and hooked them up to to ttm57 and I was surprised. They sounded clear with very nice bass response. I'm not saying these are the best, but they sound good and light weight with the hook that wraps behind the ear so they stay put no matter what. Other in ear headphones I have to keep adjusting and pushing them in to get good sound. I also think they offer a good balance of sound isolation but I never tried them with a sound monitor next to my head. My next pair of DJ headphones will be in ear. In ear just works really good for me.
DJLRock 9:49 PM - 23 March, 2011
DJ_JOHNNY 10:59 PM - 23 March, 2011
what about the ultrastone dj1?

the cable of my technics rp-dj 1200 broke and im trying to get a new pair, but whats your opinion on the ultrastones?
Leo Mann 11:06 PM - 23 March, 2011
I'm gonna have to pick me up a pair of westones! I'm done with over the ear headphones
DJ FullThrottle 7:39 PM - 26 March, 2011
Quote:

I just got the TMA-1 from AIAIAIAI a couple days ago and holy mother of god these are the best headphones i've owned. They are very similar or i'd say the same as the Sennheiser HD25 except none of the ear cups swivel but the sound is just perfection. It makes the surround sound system in your house sound like 99 cent store speakers and these are so comfortable i could wear them all day, love that it has a detachable cord and all the parts are replaceable.

They are Matte black and sort of rubbery material i doubt anyone will break these unless you throw it off a 4th floor window... Definitely recommend them

www.executiveroadwarrior.com
DJ GaFFle 12:19 AM - 27 March, 2011
Quote:
Quote:

I just got the TMA-1 from AIAIAIAI a couple days ago and holy mother of god these are the best headphones i've owned. They are very similar or i'd say the same as the Sennheiser HD25 except none of the ear cups swivel...

... that knocks them out of consideration for DJ headphones.
SELECT 5:25 AM - 27 March, 2011
dj-dave-d 5:37 AM - 27 March, 2011
we have one of these threads at least once a wekk now

same answer as always

sennheiser hd25 pro's
DJWALDO 5:15 PM - 27 March, 2011
Quote:

same answer as always

sennheiser hd25 pro's

15 years and I've yet to even listen to a pair of those.
dj-dave-d 5:56 PM - 27 March, 2011
Quote:
Quote:

same answer as always

sennheiser hd25 pro's

15 years and I've yet to even listen to a pair of those.

they won't dissapoint ;)
DJWALDO 9:05 PM - 27 March, 2011
i've been told... some reason just never tried em
SUBSTANCE 1:43 AM - 29 March, 2011
Replaced the cable on my 1997 german made HD-25 mk II's yesterday. Still sounding lovely.
Don't know when or why, but Sennheiser have been made in Ireland for a while now.

The TMA-1 are bass heavy. The HD-25's are flat.
When I played with the TMA-1's I noticed when dropping tracks through the main mix, they don't sound as bass heavy as when I cued it.

Bass heavy headphones are for listening, not for reference.
I can (& have) mixed albums on HD-25's. Portable FLAT reference monitors.
dirtyonekanobi 3:24 PM - 29 March, 2011
Quote:
what about the ultrastone dj1?

the cable of my technics rp-dj 1200 broke and im trying to get a new pair, but whats your opinion on the ultrastones?

I rock with the Ultrasones. They're great in my opinion. I can't think of anything I don't like about them. They isolate great, and if you put them on your head correctly, you don't have to blast the sound.

But, that's just my opinion - - headphones are so subjective. You won't find anyone to say anything BAD about most of the top models.
dirtyonekanobi 3:25 PM - 29 March, 2011
Quote:
Perhaps DevilBoy is meant the one like iPods come with. They don't isolate one bit.

By definition, In-ear phones like Ultimate Ears isolate better than any headphone ever can or will. I have a pair - nothing like them for isolation.

Which model do you have?
DJ_JOHNNY 3:30 PM - 29 March, 2011
hey dirtyonekaboni, thank you for your little review!
i would like to know if they are as big as the technics rp dj 1200, can you compare them to any headphones, because in pictures they look so big.
Color TV 3:34 PM - 29 March, 2011
Hey,

first, i did not get to reading this entire post, but I did do a review on the Xone XD-53s headphones from allen and heath on my site: nycelectro.com

I spent a couple weeks looking into the differences between all the DJ headphones and found these to be a great fit for me. They price on these is about 200. You can probably find them for less too.

Peace
DJ Color TV
dirtyonekanobi 3:44 PM - 29 March, 2011
@Johnny - the DJ1s aren't that big. If it helps I have a huge head and little ears. Really, I can't even buy fitted caps man... its a disease. These fit over my ears perfect, with enough room so they don't squeeze my head.

But, these are no wear as big as the technics. Or as heavy. If you go to Guitar Center and they don't have the DJ1s, they are very similar in size to the majority of the studio grade Ultrasones. GC normally stocks those
L2daGee 5:58 AM - 24 January, 2012
I picked up a set of these for backups. They are the best for a DJ on a budget or for spare cans...

www.monoprice.com
icb 8:35 AM - 24 January, 2012
Technics RP-DJ 1200
ruthless deejay 6:32 PM - 25 January, 2012
has anybody had their ultrasone headphones repaired? i believe i abused mine cuz the R sounds weaker than the L espicially the lows. i am now doubting the durability of its electronics or does this thing happen to any pro headphones?
latindj 6:46 PM - 25 January, 2012
oh no! it must be that time of the month again when we regurgitate about headphones....can't we ever be late on this one???

NM
dj1love 9:51 PM - 27 February, 2012
Quote:

I would suggest thinking about and looking into some Spyn Audio headphones. I own a pair model HP349

Gold-plated ¼” and 1/8" screw-on L-shaped plug for easy access
2-20,000Hz Frequency
32 ohm impedance
10' coiled cable
6’ cable
Adjustable padded headband and earcups & 40mm speaker drivers
Ear-conscious design for long-lasting listening comfort
Durable urethane leather construction

sounds sweet, good isolation and the bass is real mean!

i39.tinypic.com
The Notourious B.K.S. 10:07 PM - 27 February, 2012
headphones are over rated. I love showing up to gigs to see the look on the opening DJ's face when I pull these out of my gig bag: www.concordsupplies.com
iHush 12:01 AM - 29 February, 2012
So, as my personal opinion:

I love the Sony MDR-V700DJ, I have owned two pairs since 12 years ago, the first pair’s left hinge was broken by a drunk guy after 2 years of use, the day after I got a new pair of MDR-V700 again and those are still on the field with me, I just needed to get spare ear pads as the originals were destroyed by a chick with evil earrings last year, the silver paint is also starting to wear in some spots. What I don’t like at all is the big connector, for the cable and mixer safety I use an additional 90 degree angle converter that makes them even bulkier.

My other preferred cans are the AiAiAi TMA-1, I had the chance to catch the Fool’s Gold edition that looks more than awesome with the yellow cables all around, also this edition features a locking cable system and at the other end the connector is elbow shaped. Too good sound for headphones that size! I like them more than the HD-25.

I also own a pair of Beats Pro, insist.. “PRO”, not the Solo nor Studio nor HD. The PRO’s are extremely solid built, all metal and with a very rough cable, the sound is also amazing and will not make you look like a clown, I personally don’t like the size of the included carrying pouch and well, the price tag..

Cheers!
Sureshot (PA) 4:56 AM - 29 February, 2012
I've got two pairs of AiAiAi TMA-1s... the regulars and a pair of the Fools Gold Ltd. Ed.'s. Honestly, i don't care what anyone else likes or uses but i've used alot of headphones and i plan on using these forever.
DJ EZSMOOTH 5:33 AM - 29 February, 2012
+1 on the In-Ears man.
If you go with quality, you can't go wrong. Nothing beats them and the ability to hear every single aspect of your mix.

I've never looked back.
studio17 7:27 AM - 29 February, 2012
Quote:
mikep 5:39 PM - 29 February, 2012
KOSS has a new pro model out. I love my KOSS headphones and got an in-ear set that sounds great. They have a lifetime warranty.
e.rich 6:22 PM - 29 February, 2012
Quote:
I've got two pairs of AiAiAi TMA-1s... the regulars and a pair of the Fools Gold Ltd. Ed.'s. Honestly, i don't care what anyone else likes or uses but i've used alot of headphones and i plan on using these forever.

Same here. Absolutely love these cans. I wish they would've included a straight yellow cable instead of the coiled one. I'll just have to build one.
DJSHARK 11:28 PM - 14 May, 2012
How can you build a cable for the tma's with the cable lock. I have the fools gold and my cable is damaged.I need to replace it but aiaiai doesnt sell it.Thanks
DJ freestylefrenzy 10:18 AM - 21 May, 2012
I just picked up the sennys adidas..and I just gigged with them over the weekend..Its like my ears have opened up to a whole new world...
4mydawgz 1:46 PM - 21 May, 2012
I was doing a gig a couple weeks back and one of the ear cushions came off my HD 25-1 ii. I was about to lose my mind. Then I was able to connect it back on rather easily. The headphone is like built with detachable parts.
e.rich 9:42 PM - 9 July, 2012
i haven't tried it with the cable lock. i did it on my OG ones. i'll look into it.
djohnpoint 2:19 AM - 2 August, 2012
What's the word on coiled stereo cord verses straight cord. My Sony MDR V700's have been through a lot over the last 10 years. The ear pad covered are pealing and the coiled cord is all tangled up, so I was thinking about replacing them with a straight cable model for my next pair.

Was thinking about getting a pair of the House of Marley headphones, if not for gigging at least for just rocking out. Anyone using them? I like their company's philosophy, but don't know if they are really for DJing.

Thinking I am going to get a pair of Technic's RP-DH1200s. Figure can't go wrong with industry standards. turntablelab.com

Thoughts....
DjCity 4:14 AM - 2 August, 2012
Check this thread out...
serato.com
L'Phonik 4:24 AM - 2 August, 2012
before HD25s... now Panasonic ones even though they are ugly.. most comfortable and versatile.
djvtyme85 4:48 AM - 2 August, 2012
headphones to a dj are like sneakers to a ball player...your always going to keep collecting & trying different styles and types...right now i'm on the dre boat but honestly i like more models than i can afford or care to list
jeremy2013 3:30 AM - 16 February, 2013
Quote:

Quote:

Sennheiser HD25-1 II Headphones is one of the <a href="www.squidoo.com dj headphones</a> that i can recommend. It's just below $200 dollars and it's very affordable!
Dj Rah EasTwooD 2:56 AM - 2 March, 2013
I've been using the Denon HP1000 since 2009 and it's a pretty soild headphone to me.
Headphones 11:55 AM - 28 September, 2016
Sennheiser HD25-1 II is the best one for you i promise. or you can check these articles they can help you : www.headphones-world.com
www.headphones-world.com