DJing Discussion

This area is for discussion about DJing in general. Please remember the community rules when posting and try to be polite and inclusive.

WAV vs. Apple AIFF file

gzentertainment 10:57 AM - 15 June, 2007
Question, are these two the same? Meaning, can I just change the file extension from ".wav" to ".aif" and it bring along all the traits of an Apple AIFF file? If I'm correct, aren't they very similar except that the AIFF file carries like an ID3 tag with it? I'm asking because on Cool Edit Pro, whether I save as a WAV or AIF, the file is exactly the same size. Thanks!
Nicky Blunt 11:07 AM - 15 June, 2007
no i belive there are some other diffs too but im not sure what tehy are!
DJ Irv 1:49 PM - 15 June, 2007
the difference might be something stupid like byte order. Either way I wouldn't just change the extension.
DJ Art Pumpin Payne 2:24 PM - 15 June, 2007
Quote:
Question, are these two the same? Meaning, can I just change the file extension from ".wav" to ".aif" and it bring along all the traits of an Apple AIFF file? If I'm correct, aren't they very similar except that the AIFF file carries like an ID3 tag with it? I'm asking because on Cool Edit Pro, whether I save as a WAV or AIF, the file is exactly the same size. Thanks!

There is no "Apple" specific AIFF file. AIFF is universal just like a wav file. Apple's specialized file is called m4p and is closer to a mp3.

If you are trying to reduce file size convert the files to Mp3 or M4p using iTunes or some other Audio program.
Boogie Down Martin 3:04 PM - 15 June, 2007
You can store ID3 tags in AIFF but not in WAV. iTunes makes use of this feature, so when you copy one AIFF file from iTunes to another computer with iTunes then the title, artist, BPM, etc will still be there. When you do the same with a WAV file you loose this information.

I converted all my WAVs to AIFF for that reason and backed up all my MP3 and AIFF files to an external harddrive. No matter what happens, as long as I have the files I still can recover everything (except playlists and ratings). With WAV you depend on your iTunes database staying intact.

However, there are not too many programs that make use of ID3 tags in AIFF apart from iTunes I believe.
gzentertainment 5:44 PM - 15 June, 2007
Quote:
You can store ID3 tags in AIFF but not in WAV. iTunes makes use of this feature, so when you copy one AIFF file from iTunes to another computer with iTunes then the title, artist, BPM, etc will still be there. When you do the same with a WAV file you loose this information.

I converted all my WAVs to AIFF for that reason and backed up all my MP3 and AIFF files to an external harddrive. No matter what happens, as long as I have the files I still can recover everything (except playlists and ratings). With WAV you depend on your iTunes database staying intact.

However, there are not too many programs that make use of ID3 tags in AIFF apart from iTunes I believe.

This is what I though. How did you convert your files from WAV to AIFF?
cappinkirk 6:15 PM - 15 June, 2007
i think the extension is m4a
Boogie Down Martin 6:46 PM - 15 June, 2007
Quote:
This is what I though. How did you convert your files from WAV to AIFF?

I did the following:

1. Choose the AIFF encoder in iTunes preferences (Preferences -> Advanced -> Importing)

2. Select all WAV files in iTunes (for example by creating a smart playlist that contains only WAV files and then pressing Apple+A or Ctrl+A to select all files in that list)

3. Right click on the selected files and chose convert to AIFF from the context menu

4. Delete the WAV files from the iTunes library. The easiest way is probably to go to the music library playlist that contains all your files and sort by 'kind'. Then you can relatively easy select all WAV files, right click and chose delete. Important: When asked if you want to move the files to the trash say yes, otherwise the files stay in your iTunes folder. Don't forget to empty the trash.

Important: This only works if you have enough free drive space to hold both a WAV and AIFF copy of the files you want to convert. If you mostly have WAV files the size of your iTunes library will be temporarily doubled.

If you don't have enough free space you probably have to do the conversion step by step in smaller batches.

Hope the description is understandable... :-)
gzentertainment 7:04 PM - 15 June, 2007
Thanks a lot BDM. I really need to learn iTunes one of these days.
SUBSTANCE 10:48 PM - 15 June, 2007
NOW you tell me aiff has ID3 tags.
I'm like 10,000 songs deep in .wav - no turning back now.
rlaci 10:57 PM - 15 June, 2007
audio data in wav = with audio data in aiff + id3 tag data???????

it is strange for me

why we get exact file sizes??????
Boogie Down Martin 11:07 PM - 15 June, 2007
^ ID3 tags are *optional*, you can still have AIFF files without ID3 tags.

(Same goes for MP3, if you want you can remove all ID3 tags.)
nobspangle 7:44 AM - 16 June, 2007
You can have tags in wav files too, SSL adds them without any problem.

The difference between aiff and wav is in the headers for the audio data.
rlaci 12:53 PM - 16 June, 2007
but id3 is some plus data

then why the same size???
nobspangle 3:16 PM - 17 June, 2007
Quote:
but id3 is some plus data

then why the same size???

I doubt that the size is identical (down to the last byte)

In windows explorer, right click each file and choose properties, check out the file sizes in bytes.
skimrok 10:45 AM - 20 June, 2007
I glad i read this! i am about to do my vinyl soon

and i was going to do wav but i meight strangly enougth go for aiff he!he!