Serato Software Feature Suggestions

What features would you like to see in Serato software?

Serato needs to pick up its game.....

credentia1 10:49 PM - 17 February, 2011
I'm an avid supporter of Serato and have been from day 1. BUT i must say I think serato is falling behind its main competitor. Lately I must say my eye has been wondering. ITCH is no good period. SCRATCH is great. I understand the business decisions behind keeping these seperate but its just not doing it for me when the "competitor" offers an all in one package that also allows me to do offline tinkering and mucking about.

Look at the new PIONEER-DDJ range. So traktor gets a 4 channel killer machine and itch, due to its 2 deck limitationsget 2! for real? When SCRATCH has the ability of 4 channels its just rediculous that itch does not. I strongly think itch should be scratched (no pun intended) and there should be 1 power house that is SERATO SCRATCH.

Comments....?
credentia1 10:55 PM - 17 February, 2011
and also the fact that ITCH limits you to very specific controllers or serato's inability to map decks (again a business decision) whereas the "other" lets you hook up to just about anything.
credentia1 11:20 PM - 17 February, 2011
and now the djm900nexus supports traktor straight out the box but SERATO still needs the box.
DJ Quartz 11:43 PM - 17 February, 2011
SSL and Itch need to be fused period. It only makes logical sense.
credentia1 12:27 AM - 18 February, 2011
totally agreed, the gap between the 2 will just become more and more evident to users and people looking at getting into DDJing
Konix 2:10 PM - 18 February, 2011
Itch does have 4 decks, but only with the Xone:DX or the upcoming Numark NS6. Scratch Live has 4 decks too, but only if you shell out for the 68 or upcoming SL4. So it all depends on what you buy. You don't get 4 decks with the SL1 or SL3., just like you don't get 4 decks with the NS7/V7 or VCI-300. Pioneer probably could have made a 4 deck Itch controller, but for whatever reason(s) decided not too.

You can MIDI map the decks in Scratch Live for scratching, it's not officially supported and is more a hack method, but it is possible (see... Watchwww.youtube.com , here... Watchwww.youtube.com , or here... Watchwww.youtube.com )

The new DJM-900 is a Traktor Certified Mixer, however, technically not "strait out of the box," you have to pay Native Instruments an additional $339 for the certified mixer DVS package, on top of the cost of the mixer (already Pioneer's ridiculously high "premium" pricing) .
credentia1 4:13 AM - 21 February, 2011
thanks, some very usefull info there but you must agree that it would be alot better to just merge SSL and Itch. The business decision behind keeping these seperate will ultimately end up loosing business to competitors.
Blackie Lox 2:32 PM - 21 February, 2011
+1. I'm already planning on making the switch to traktor. The only reason that I still use ScratchLive is for the Video-SL plugin. Aside from VSL and The Bridge... Traktor has WAY MORE features than ScratchLive (icluding Midi-Out which I REALLY want/need).
Konix 4:06 PM - 21 February, 2011
Quote:
t but you must agree that it would be alot better to just merge SSL and Itch.

In some ways, yes, I agree.
AKIEM 6:43 PM - 21 February, 2011
Quote:
Quote:

t but you must agree that it would be alot better to just merge SSL and Itch.

In some ways, yes, I agree.

SCRATCH at its core reads time code, ITCH reads midi - it might be easier said then done. Also you have to consider the agreement between Serato and Rane for SSL.
zaguama 3:43 AM - 22 February, 2011
You say Serato's business decision might not be the best for the users but NI's aren't either. They could have given support to all the ITCH controllers and gained a large amount of users but they haven't, instead they just went and built their S4. All about the benjamins. ITCH is targeting a whole different type of DJs than the ones that use traktor.

I agree with the above comment, until Traktor brings video into the equation Serato > Traktor.
Blackie Lox 3:58 PM - 22 February, 2011
It is to my understanding that most (if not all) ITCH controllers can be mapped to any other software. I could be wrong though.
0boz0 8:37 PM - 22 February, 2011
I was all set to get Sl3, but after doing alot of research it didnt seem the wise option.

Problems I came across were no sync, no sampler sync, poor quality effects, 1khz timecode, and the thread that sealead it was no Flac support, it isnt even that I would be desperate for this feature but the fact that it was open in 2004, do you listen to your customers serato, by how long people have waited for you to support Flac, it dosent seem you do, and a company that takes this long to address basic issues must be seroiusly frustating to your customers.

Problem with serato as a company is the arent very experinced in making complex software, it was ok when sl first came out, features were no exsitant so all they needed to be concerned about was the timecode implementation, but now with more and more requested features the boys at serato are finding it a challange. Now there in with the Big boys NI when it comes to sofware and I think there finding it difficult to keep up. Serato scratch wont be around forever in its current form because the numbers just aint there so eventually they need to evovle or they will end up folding as a sofware company and just become hardware based.
credentia1 10:23 PM - 22 February, 2011
"It is to my understanding that most (if not all) ITCH controllers can be mapped to any other software. I could be wrong though."
-Thought so too

"Also you have to consider the agreement between Serato and Rane for SSL."
-Yup one of the problems

""Serato scratch wont be around forever in its current form because the numbers just aint there so eventually they need to evovle or they will end up folding as a sofware company and just become hardware based."
-Agreed, I've always stood behind serato, i give it to all my traktor buddies haha but they do need to evolve
Mutis 10:27 PM - 22 February, 2011
Rane has the last word.
ZESH! 12:38 AM - 23 February, 2011
I think they tried, but when they powered up...

It started an earthquake :op

Sorry, couldn't help it...hope all of you are OK out there.
DJsolution 2:33 PM - 23 February, 2011
I hope that serato is becoming very a ware of there competitor. Everyone how about we compare the prices. the new NI box with all its new awesome features (traktor program! hello serato) is going to be $449. Lets compare that to the new SL4, its priced at $899!!!!!! it even gets better, NI is smart enough to let you have 2 decks and program the use of 4 decks, or if you really want you can have 4 phyical decks next to your mixer.... very smart NI, let remember they had this feature from day 1. with the SL4 Serato MAKES you have to have 4 physical decks..... no other options.... thats a bunch more equipment i dont want to have to carry around or buy. The serato equivalent of this first came out with the SL3 and yet the only allowed one deck, pretty lame, it had been many years from the SL1 to the SL3 and they only attached on 1 deck?!?!? again which you have to physically have next to you mixer. If NI took that much time (the time from the sl1 to the sl3) to produce something new they would have produced something that would enhance the dj'ing experience. We also see that when NI produces something better they keep prices low, not make a okay product then jack up the price like crazy. Serato I really do support you.... just have to get on top of your game, it seems to me that SL becoming the next final scratch (not listening to customers, producing alright products, programing issues). You have ableton on your side, your the first ones to have the sample deck, you still have a kick ass video program.... SL has a chance but that chance is slipping.
BERTO 7:09 PM - 23 February, 2011
Why do ppl bitch about traktor being so much better? Do ppl from here go to traktor forums and complain about how much better ssl is ?....
Mutis 7:33 PM - 23 February, 2011
They know it ;)
Blackie Lox 7:34 PM - 23 February, 2011
Quote:
Why do ppl bitch about traktor being so much better?

We make complaints because we want to see change.

Quote:
Do ppl from here go to traktor forums and complain about how much better ssl is ?....

From what I've seen on Traktor forums, people want to see a video plugin added. But in all honesty... What else is there to complain about? Traktor has MIDI OUT, studio quality effects (with an external send/return that can be routed to ANY soundcard), it has native support for a plethora of MIDI controllers/mixers (which can also be custom mapped, unlike Scratch Live), and now it features a sample player... that's just to name a FEW of the features that Scratch Live doesn't have.

I wouldn't be surprised if Native Instruments is currently working on a Rewire feature for Traktor, that can be routed to Ableton Live, Reason, Logic, ProTools etc...
BERTO 7:36 PM - 23 February, 2011
So then why stick to ssl ? Besides video?
BERTO 7:37 PM - 23 February, 2011
I just want pitch shift effect and perhaps midi out....
BERTO 7:38 PM - 23 February, 2011
Besides that im happy i have my trusty Rane crossfader and eqs and my great trackin cv's
Blackie Lox 7:53 PM - 23 February, 2011
Video is the ONLY reason I still own SSL. If Mix Emergency ever decided to make a Plugin for Traktor, I would sell my SL-1 and VSL.

Although I like the Ableton Bridge (not for mixtape purposes, cuz with the correct midi/audio setup, you could route channel inputs and map fader knobs etc on your own), it bothers me that I can't use the Bridge with Ableton Live Intro (which I currently own and am very pleased with)
skinnyguy 9:00 PM - 23 February, 2011
nobody wants to try mixvibes?
credentia1 12:57 AM - 24 February, 2011
Quote:
Why do ppl bitch about traktor being so much better? Do ppl from here go to traktor forums and complain about how much better ssl is ?....

-Because i'm an avid SSL supporter, love the look and feel of it, appreciate their helpful technical support team, appreciate its stableness (is that even a word lol) and most of all I would like to keep supporting it. I DON'T however want to see the company and program fade into the distance due to lack of development/listening to what its customers want/require.

Quote:
Traktor has MIDI OUT, studio quality effects (with an external send/return that can be routed to ANY soundcard), it has native support for a plethora of MIDI controllers/mixers (which can also be custom mapped, unlike Scratch Live), and now it features a sample player... that's just to name a FEW of the features that Scratch Live doesn't have.

-Agreed wholeheartedly
BERTO 1:04 AM - 24 February, 2011
Im sure serato wont fade...im sure of it, this is the main conversation before a new version comes out..... Serato is sick with their new release features everytime... Just wait and u shall see.
credentia1 1:09 AM - 24 February, 2011
Quote:
Im sure serato wont fade...im sure of it, this is the main conversation before a new version comes out..... Serato is sick with their new release features everytime... Just wait and u shall see.

-that would be real neat IF it happens and i'd be the first in line to buy the sl4!
BERTO 1:11 AM - 24 February, 2011
Just wait with the sl4 a new version will deffinetly have some new feature friendly reminders why we all own something from Serato. :)
Evon 11:23 AM - 4 March, 2011
Serato and Itch needs to be fused together. For me as a customer point of view it's a logical step to merge the two.

I have a gut feeling seratoteam is working on some big update or something else. Feel like it's been quiet for a long time on the forum. Its always quiet before the storm. I feel like last update had a lot of bugfixes that needed to be sorted out before adding new features. Maybe it was a preperation for what to come? Maybe a merge is closer than we thing? Could be a shot from the hip in the wild.
farrell 3:46 PM - 4 March, 2011
That DJM 900 is a wake up call.
AKIEM 7:34 PM - 4 March, 2011
If you think they are going to be or should be merged - why do you think they were separate to begin with?
Evon 11:13 PM - 4 March, 2011
Quote:
If you think they are going to be or should be merged - why do you think they were separate to begin with?

I have no Idea why they made 2 seperate to begin with to be honest. I'm sure they have a good reason. It just seem like a lot of work, keeping track of 2 different softwares. Itch users still can't use the bridge.
and competition offering all in one package.
AKIEM 11:20 PM - 4 March, 2011
sure - I think there are several reasons why they are separate - but probably the most important is the difference between Control Signal and MIDI - it might be more difficult to just jumble both in the same software without a complete redesign. Also consider the exclusive deal Serato has with Rane for ScratchLIVE.

ether way, without knowing why they are separate, seems like its a little difficult to argue that they should be merged.
Evon 12:16 AM - 5 March, 2011
Quote:
ether way, without knowing why they are separate, seems like its a little difficult to argue that they should be merged.

I agree. Probably many reasons why they are not merged. But for a customers point of view.
LaDjkaoz 11:16 AM - 11 June, 2012
Quote:
nobody wants to try mixvibes?

im looking at mixvibe...
300dlls 4 decks HD video support plus native and custom mapping seems very good.
Blackie Lox 2:16 PM - 11 June, 2012
I was interested in Mix Vibes until I realized that it's made for Windows only.
browny 6:01 PM - 11 June, 2012
Miri out is a must these days! Come on serato
DJ Hypnotik31 6:02 AM - 15 June, 2012
Man what ever happened to 2 Turntables and a mic! Serato, don't make it too easy for lame DJ's! No offense to those in this discussion.
LaDjkaoz 6:06 AM - 19 June, 2012
those were the good old days....