Serato Software Feature Suggestions

What features would you like to see in Serato software?

Poll: How many people use I-Tunes or Serato to organize

Sharod 12:41 AM - 14 June, 2007
I think a poll to see how many people use I-Tunes or Serato to organize their music would be interesting. What do you guys think?
digital_steve 12:48 AM - 14 June, 2007
I use itunes personally.
nik39 8:53 AM - 14 June, 2007
Why a poll in the feature suggestions area?
Sharod 1:08 PM - 14 June, 2007
The general section would be the place & it would look something like this

www.futureproducers.com

Just a feature suggestion I would like to see in the forum. Maybe the serato guys could hook it up.
swavek 4:55 PM - 14 June, 2007
iTunes - because of its portability (you can import iTunes playlists into just about anything).
K-Breezy 3:40 PM - 15 June, 2007
i use serato, for some reason i have trouble seeing my new Itunes playlist in serato until after i restart my laptop. Plus, why use a middle man? lol
djkris1 2:01 PM - 16 June, 2007
Quote:
Why a poll in the feature suggestions area?

i think he was suggesting a poll
not actually starting one

so the correct answers here should be

yes i would like to see a poll
or
no i would not like to see a poll to see what everyone uses

but either way
i use
iTunes and my shit isnt organized past the fact that it is all in iTunes
evvster 2:40 PM - 16 June, 2007
I love the poll idea... here is what i do...

I organize in Serato because I have music in my iTunes that Serato doesn't support... I actually have a separate drive that i put doubles in and just use that for serato and my itunes files are on a completely separate drive... I hate apple because they support jack and don't give customer service unless you have bought a product in the last 90 days
aiRBaLZ 10:34 PM - 26 June, 2007
I use iTunes for music library and playlists. It's just easier to add/edit everything in iTunes and then have Serato read it. The only problems I have (and I don't think there are ways around) are:

1) After I edit the ID3 tags in iTunes, I have to right-click on the songs and convert them to actually store that ID3 tag, as iTunes keeps this in their own library by default.

2) After I build the overviews in SSL, I have to refresh the ID3 tag info in iTunes otherwise the BPM doesn't show up.

3) Updated playlists don't seem to update until I restart SSL.

4) The "comments" field for a song. I have no idea how this works, as sometimes iTunes reads my SSL comment field that I have written to, and sometimes it doesn't.
sixxx 7:04 AM - 27 June, 2007
I use iTunes. It's a nice program ONCE YOU KNOW HOW TO USE IT and work around the issues that it has like tags that are 2.4 etc. (aiRBaLZ, look into that).

Smart Playlists are the way to go. No dragging and dropping like crazy. Just one time, tag it right and the song appears in every single Smart Playlist you "told" it to.
deejaysomething 1:03 PM - 27 June, 2007
Yeah, I use iTunes. Smart playlists, the ability to use my "crates" outside of SSL, and it's easy to manage my library on multiple machines.
Dj Nyce 9:10 PM - 29 June, 2007
itunes is very very sick. this isn't something new, final scratch and traktor took advantage of itunes.

ssl users need to familiarize themselves with using itunes with serato instead of writing it off. it could make your ssl experience alot more fulfilling.
djkevinz 7:04 AM - 9 July, 2007
I use iTunes. Smart playlists are the bomb! I use the Grouping field to add keywords like Deep Prog etc. I even have one called Fresh Trax that automatically has the last 2 weeks of music I added.

I only wish that you could custom sort the playlists within Serato. I just put a 'z' before the ones I use all the time so they show up right above my serato crates, which I use for on the fly stuff.
cappinkirk 7:51 PM - 9 July, 2007
i use serato (used to use itunes but no longer) because:

deleting smart lists in itunes is not undoable (but neither is deleting serato folders) IMO folders are not intelligent way to organize. A better way IMO is properly naming and labeling the files, then I can use folders to organize sets once they are all perfectly labeled.

i don't want all my itunes songs in my serato library. I don't want to look through a million songs when at the end of the day i'm only going to play 500 or so. plus there are no scroll arrows in serato so scrolling through a million songs is silly and sloooooooow and kills my buzz IMO.

i rarely know which exact version i'm listening to in itunes or if it is the one in a certain serato folder or not. This is because i have several of the same songs but different quality rips in many cases. I can apple-r to reveal the exact location from serato and then listen to it in quicktime (which also loads faster than itunes, or i can play it directly from the finder window in quicktime without even opening it)

changing the name of an artist or album moves the location in itunes and breaks links for serato when keep itunes organized is checked

tags update in serato after they are changed in itunes when you pick them - this can be weird when you are live having everything change in a track you just picked to play

why use another app? just one more thing to go wrong. serato needs to be as independent as possible IMO.
cappinkirk 7:53 PM - 9 July, 2007
also...itunes is great for ipod organization but serato doesn't work like an ipod. even when it does (in the browse mode) where the files are stored is irrelevant. i have 1 folder with all my files in it and when I add more i just throw the whole thing back into serato and it only updates the new ones.
cappinkirk 7:56 PM - 9 July, 2007
1 more...its harder (more steps are involved) to track down corrupt files with itunes than it is to reveal and remove them.
nik39 8:29 PM - 9 July, 2007
Quote:
deleting smart lists in itunes is not undoable (but neither is deleting serato folders)

You are wrong.
cappinkirk 8:43 PM - 9 July, 2007
thanks...how so?
cappinkirk 8:44 PM - 9 July, 2007
smart folders in itunes is undoable

or

serato folders is undoable

or both?

is this something recently changed?
cappinkirk 8:47 PM - 9 July, 2007
i'm not perfect & don't pretend to be...just presenting my facts from experience
nik39 8:57 PM - 9 July, 2007
My bad, didn't quote you correctly.

Quote:
but neither is deleting serato folders
cappinkirk 8:59 PM - 9 July, 2007
so to clarify...& add some content to this thread...

deleting smart folders in itunes is not undoable (yet)

deleting folders in serato is now undoable?

and if so is that a 1.7.3?
nik39 9:03 PM - 9 July, 2007
Quote:
deleting folders in serato is now undoable?

You can undo it since day one. Just go to your recycle bin/trash can and undo the deletion ;)
cappinkirk 9:06 PM - 9 July, 2007
*sighs*
cappinkirk 9:20 PM - 9 July, 2007
that is a valid point nik39

thank you
airforce1 10:37 AM - 11 July, 2007
i use both...
djdrew 6:14 PM - 11 July, 2007
I use it exclusivley to organize my music so far no problems love it.
cappinkirk 6:32 PM - 11 July, 2007
djdrew what is "it?" itunes or SSL? or is there a new app called "it"? just clowning
DJ LTIZZZLE 9:57 AM - 14 July, 2007
I use I-tunes to organize my songs, but i don't have serato read itunes. The reason is the loading process takes too long. But you're just loading from the hards dive using serato. Ur up and running in no time. I make my playlist/folders in Itunes. I then copy the content into a folder on my external to be imported as a crate in Serato. Might be over kill but it works for me.
dj dawn 10:01 AM - 18 July, 2007
iTunes
DJ Jean Verano 6:58 PM - 18 July, 2007
Quote:
iTunes

+1
DJ Cykophuk 5:20 PM - 20 July, 2007
so far...I've only used i-tunes to rip wav files from my CD collection. Once I verify labeling, add BPM info and build the overviews, I turn off i-tunes in SSL.
remp 9:08 PM - 20 July, 2007
Media Monkey for tagging and physically putting files in corresponding folders (by genre). I make crates in serato to mirror the file structure on the disk - then to update new files I just drag genre folder into corresponding crate.

This way it's just not just "organized" when looking through an interface (itunes or serato) it's physically organized on the hd as well.
DJ LTIZZZLE 7:10 AM - 21 July, 2007
agreed. Plus using serato for crates is alot easier. Plus, the load time is hellah faster than waiting on Itunes to load.

serato +5 for speed
dj dawn 5:52 PM - 24 July, 2007
iTunes with apple script makes organizing large collections of music a breeze! Check out dougscripts.com if you haven't already!
lewis 9:24 PM - 1 August, 2007
Quote:
Media Monkey for tagging and physically putting files in corresponding folders (by genre). I make crates in serato to mirror the file structure on the disk - then to update new files I just drag genre folder into corresponding crate.

This way it's just not just "organized" when looking through an interface (itunes or serato) it's physically organized on the hd as well.

This seems like the best way to me. Organizing in serato is awkward and time consuming. I just wish they would add an option to mirror your hard drive folders in serato so that you dont have to drag new files in every time you add something new to your collection, and also so that you dont have to create crates multiple times. I don't use itunes and i dont want to use itunes... that program is bloated. I think its weak you have to install a whole other program just to organize your files easier.
dj disturbed 6:33 AM - 2 August, 2007
Quote:
iTunes with apple script makes organizing large collections of music a breeze! Check out dougscripts.com if you haven't already!

not for me...... with my large lib.. it take iTunes almost 3-4 mins just to load. I find it MUCH easier to do all the organizing myself
sixxx 11:22 PM - 5 August, 2007
20K+ library takes approx 1 min. You seriously can't afford that much time? lol
dj disturbed 8:23 AM - 6 August, 2007
Quote:
20K+ library takes approx 1 min. You seriously can't afford that much time? lol

I'm talking about starting up iTunes its self.. I have over 60k tracks on my hard drive (I Dj for a strip club 4 nights a week.. so yeah. I DO realy need allthose songs b/c I have to use MANY diff genres) and it takes about 3-4 mins to for Itunes to start up.... now when I add a song to 2 to my computer.. I dont want be sitingthere 3-4 mins just waiting for iTunes to start up when i can just start up SSL and put the track(s) into it myself AND put the track(s) into the crates I want them in in less time.
Dj Nyce 10:39 PM - 10 August, 2007
i use itunes and an ext hd. i have 21,128 songs and it tacks between 25 secs avg for itunes to load.

scratchlive takes around the same to time to startup and read the itunes library.
djtoast 4:05 PM - 11 August, 2007
iTunes to organise... and even to find stuff and drag and drop into serato while i'm DJing.

Coverflow addict here, next best thing to flicking through a record box.

I have 21,000 tracks in my library on an internal disk, both iTunes and Serato start up within maybe 20 seconds.

If Serato nicked coverflow there'd be no need for any further versions, it'd be complete.
DJ Bob 3:21 AM - 13 August, 2007
I use iTunes to manage the mp3's and let ssl do its thing.
DJ 3pm 9:28 PM - 30 September, 2007
only reason i use itunes is smart playlists. let serato add that in and i'll dump itunes in a heartbeat. now, my library doesn't take 3-4 minutes (maybe 20 seconds after i launch ssl), but it does take some time and freeze my screen momentarily when i first launch.

i use smartlists to sort all my instrumentals, acapellas, radio edits, and recently added together.
djX-daVet 9:19 PM - 1 October, 2007
This was precisely my question in another thread. With all things there are pros & cons but I being new to this whole thing wanted to know if you use either ID3 tagit OR iTunes OR both?
djX-daVet 9:20 PM - 1 October, 2007
Which is more practical? Why?
Dj Nyce 3:53 AM - 2 October, 2007
you don't have to use id3tagit, but it is a better tool for managing tags. especially when you need to do them in bulk.

for instance you can do filename to id3 which will take a filename like artist-title.mp3 and fill in the tags. you can also see which mp3's have v1.x and v2.x idr tags. i always remove any 1.x, 2.2 and 2.4 before i add them to itunes.

itunes is a mp3 player/library tool that can only do id3 tagging at the basic level. advanced id3 tag editing (which all serato users should do) requires something slightly more powerful.
WarpNote 10:38 AM - 2 October, 2007
Quote:
If Serato nicked coverflow there'd be no need for any further versions, it'd be complete.

Some sort of cover-browsing would be really useful! Yes pretty please...

I use both iTunes, ID3TagIT & Serato for organizing, all has individual strengths for tagging. Also using Album Art Downloader/Album Art Aggretator for visual representation for most tracks. (even taking a snapshot of the cd/original vinyl with a digital camera, if I cant find album art online)

To me, and a lot of people used to "regular" dj'ing, covers are invaluable for organizing music. I often find myself running iTunes next to SSL on a gig, using coverflow to find a track then dragging from iTunes to a crate/prepare window.

Serato staff, Im sorry for double posting, but would be such a great addition to SSL:

Some mockups...
#1 flickr.com
#2 flickr.com
#3 flickr.com
dj disturbed 10:52 AM - 2 October, 2007
Quote:
Quote:

I use both iTunes, ID3TagIT & Serato for organizing, all has individual strengths for tagging. Also using Album Art Downloader/Album Art Aggretator for visual representation for most tracks. (even taking a snapshot of the cd/original vinyl with a digital camera, if I cant find album art online)

To me, and a lot of people used to "regular" dj'ing, covers are invaluable for organizing music. I often find myself running iTunes next to SSL on a gig, using coverflow to find a track then dragging from iTunes to a crate/prepare window.

Serato staff, Im sorry for double posting, but would be such a great addition to SSL:

Some mockups...
#1 flickr.com
#2 flickr.com
#3 flickr.com

thats just WAY too much on the screen.... I like the way it is now... nice and simple (compaired to that)
WarpNote 11:16 AM - 2 October, 2007
This would be an OPTION, turn it on or off, according to own preference. For me having 20.000 lines (songs) of text is NOT simple at 2am in the morng ;-)
djX-daVet 2:02 PM - 2 October, 2007
Thanks djNyce, djWarpNote, djDisturbed - you gave me alot of insight and that was what I was looking for. You saved me alot of time because I was going from thread to thread tryinng to research this but it was not clearly spelled out. Great job fellas!!
djX-daVet 3:57 PM - 2 October, 2007
I just checked out some sites for Album Art Downloader, can someone recommend a good site. Also, what is the "Album Art Aggretator" ?
ToneEP 4:33 PM - 2 October, 2007
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Some mockups...
#1 flickr.com
#2 flickr.com
#3 flickr.com

thats just WAY too much on the screen.... I like the way it is now... nice and simple (compaired to that)

I think it would be a great feature. But it wouldn't have to be on the screen in front of you all the time. You could have a mouse-over / keyboard shortcut to slide the panel into view from the side of the screen when you need it to flip through albums. drop it into a crate and the pane hides away.
dj luis 11:46 AM - 7 October, 2007
itunes here - although i don't use crates or playlists - so i don't really organize - that's now that i have around 2.000 - i'd say i might do it later on when i get to 10.000
dj luis 11:49 AM - 7 October, 2007
toneEP: you mispelled bpm in the r&b 000 to 090.. :) noticed that because i do the same thing with groups: i go 000 to 100, then 90 to 110, then 100 to 120...

:)
Dj 1/2 Pint 7:09 PM - 10 October, 2007
i only use itunes to import songs from a cd (which i hardly ever do) so for everything else i just do everything in serato i like the subcrates in serato which last i knew wasnt something you can do in itunes.
Sharod 12:07 AM - 12 December, 2007
Something I found in another post. Props to ABM for this one.
scratchlive.net