DJing Discussion

This area is for discussion about DJing in general. Please remember the community rules when posting and try to be polite and inclusive.

iTunes Gift Cards on ebay - legit?

nik39 10:19 PM - 16 February, 2011
Hi,

we european guys need to hustle hard to get hold of "urban" music. Most of the good "urban" music is unfortunately not available in the european iTunes stores. But thankfully there is a way to open an account in the U.S. iTunes store. But to refill your account/credit you have to buy U.S. iTunes gift cards, which you can get from Ebay for example.

Does anyone have any experience with iTunes gift cards bought off Ebay? How is it possible that some giftcards valued at $100 are sold for $80 or even less? I thought for each sold track at $0.99 Apple has to pay the labels $0.70?
Is this fraud?
nik39 7:10 AM - 17 February, 2011
Help!
Papa Midnight 7:41 AM - 17 February, 2011
I wouldn't trust it, nik39. Sorry, but that just seems unscrupulous to me and not something to risk.
the_black_one 7:58 AM - 17 February, 2011
get a pre-paid visa card issued in the US. Use that visa card to open an US itunes account.
Papa Midnight 8:09 AM - 17 February, 2011
Quote:
get a pre-paid visa card issued in the US. Use that visa card to open an US itunes account.

That's honestly pretty good advice right there.
sacrilicious 9:43 PM - 20 February, 2011
Quote:
Hi,

we european guys need to hustle hard to get hold of "urban" music. Most of the good "urban" music is unfortunately not available in the european iTunes stores. But thankfully there is a way to open an account in the U.S. iTunes store. But to refill your account/credit you have to buy U.S. iTunes gift cards, which you can get from Ebay for example.

Does anyone have any experience with iTunes gift cards bought off Ebay? How is it possible that some giftcards valued at $100 are sold for $80 or even less? I thought for each sold track at $0.99 Apple has to pay the labels $0.70?
Is this fraud?

I'm not sure if they could be widely sold at $80 for !00 value but I know people that would happily sell any gift card at 3/4 value for cash if they're not going to use it.
DJ Art Pumpin Payne 10:27 PM - 20 February, 2011
I think many/some are legit - stores like Walmart and Target here in the US aren't allowed to heavily discount or put Apple items like iPods on Sale but Walmart/Target bundles iPods with iTunes gift cards sometimes as incentive to get you to buy from them. Some people turn around and sell the gift cards for cash.

I always wondered why iTunes cards went for so much (90 to 110% of value) - Europeans use them for the US store to buy non available music - makes sense.
phatbob 12:38 AM - 21 February, 2011
I've bought a few to achieve that same idea. The ones I've bought have been fine, BUT I've only bought ones on sale for the 'regular' price. If they look too good to be true, they probably are. I also only buy $15 cards so if I was to get scammed I'm only out a tenner or so.
phatbob 12:42 AM - 21 February, 2011
The ironic thing is that my last purchase on the US store was the DJ Premier remix of Craig David, a British artist. If I didn't have a US account, which I'm not supposed to have, my only option would have been an illegal download.

Regional restrictions are an absolute joke in the Internet age...
DJ Remy USA 3:37 AM - 21 February, 2011
Quote:
The ironic thing is that my last purchase on the US store was the DJ Premier remix of Craig David, a British artist. If I didn't have a US account, which I'm not supposed to have, my only option would have been an illegal download.

I went through something similar trying to purchase a UK bands CD but I could not cause I was in the wrong region. So had to use other means
nik39 1:28 PM - 21 February, 2011
Thanks for the comments, guys. :)

Quote:

Or the vinyl ;) The og promo vinyl is also a bit different than what was on the commercially available 12". It starts with

Quote:
Oh no! Look at who they let in the back door
It's been 7 days so let's roll
From the UK to Brooklyn they know
Craig David, Mos Def, and Premo
When we step on the mic we too cold
This remix might fracture your nose

Quote:

Absolutely agree. Esp since - we *want* to spend money on the legit item. But you don't want our money??
phatbob 4:28 PM - 21 February, 2011
Actually that's the intro on the iTunes version, Nik, which is good 'cos that's the version I wanted. Just popped into my head a few weeks ago, had to find it...

You tried the voucher route to getting a US account yet? It's cool. Don't expect to save money though. Another stupid thing about the restrictions; $0.99 = £0.79, it's not like people could shop at iTunes US from the UK and get a bargain! They might just get the music they want though...
nik39 5:15 PM - 21 February, 2011
Quote:
Actually that's the intro on the iTunes version, Nik, which is good 'cos that's the version I wanted.

Nice. The regular US 12" does not have this intro :-/

Quote:
Don't expect to save money though.

That's not so much the point - I have to use the US store, cause all the good stuff is not available over here. $0.99 translates to 0.99€.

Quote:
You tried the voucher route to getting a US account yet?

I think I will ask a friend to buy a voucher for me. The german sellers on ebay acted quite shady - something ain't right. And there is no way I will buy such a voucher from Lithuania - no offense, but this looks even more suspicious. If I buy something from a german seller at least I know how to get my money back. ;)
FunkyRob 5:57 PM - 21 February, 2011
I thought the iTunes region was assigned when you register by putting your address.

If not then, I imagined they tell in the store based on your ip address. Assuming that they trace each IP address.
Papa Midnight 6:07 PM - 21 February, 2011
Quote:
I thought the iTunes region was assigned when you register by putting your address.

If not then, I imagined they tell in the store based on your ip address. Assuming that they trace each IP address.

Not that hard to do so. A simple whois lookup on an IP will tell you what ISP it is registered to. GeoLocation skips that step and gives you a relative idea of what region its from (this act is useless with IP addresses assigned to mobile carriers. Don't waste your time). Both of these take less than 2 seconds to do.

The point of using an IP to determine location is useless, however. Proxy's defeat the point of that. I suspect that they use your address to determine such.
sacrilicious 9:14 PM - 23 February, 2011
www.pinchit.com

Just saw those on FB--$5 for $10 value.

IBTL
nik39 9:16 PM - 23 February, 2011
And sold out anyway.