Software help archive

A read-only archive of old serato.com help threads.

4 Drop-Outs during djing within 80 minutes with 2.2

Product
Scratch Live
Version
Hardware
Rane SL1
Computer
PC
OS
Platform
-
pueblofunky 9:19 PM - 13 February, 2011
Product: scratchlive
Version: 2.2
Hardware: scratchlive-sl1
Computer: pc
OS Version: xp
---

Hi,

I still have drop-outs with version 2.2.

I've played last Tuesday and within 80 minutes I had 4 drop-outs during moving a track with the mouse from the library on a player.

A long time I've played with version 2.0 and never had a problem. With 2.1 I'd the issue and still with 2.2.

I didn't made any USB buffer changes in the club during djing. Would this help if I test it?
Rane, Support
Zach S 5:15 PM - 15 February, 2011
Boosting your usb audio buffer can definitely help with dropouts.

Remember that the newer versions of SSL are more cpu intensive.
Your computer may have ran fine on 2.0 or below because those versions just aren't as cpu intensive.

What are the specs of your machine?
6:00 PM, 1 Mar 2011
This help request has been closed due to inactivity.
pueblofunky 10:42 AM - 4 May, 2011
I have increased the USB buffer but it didn't help - 5-6 drop outs during 3 hours.

I also had one massive "hang" (again) about 1:30 - 2 minutes - a track was playing in the background but I was not able to make any other selection with the mouse (e.g. to select the next track).

I've also played another gig last Saturday - but now I've changed all my smart crates to crates (copy + paste tracks) - and only used the normal crates (smart crates were still there!): No drop out anymore.

I've worked also with smart crates in 2.0 but never had a problem. Was there a change with smart crates (search, clean-up, memory, sorting, etc.) up to 2.2.?

Maybe a feature request: copy and/or convert smart crate into a normal crate? Select multiple smart crates, right click, copy/convert into normal crate (auto-rename if copy).

That would help to have no performance problems during djing and the smart crates needn't be deleted.

Robert

PS: Maybe its a sorting overhead with smart crates? In my library are 12.000 files (most WAV) and the biggest smart crate itself has ~700.
Rane, Support
Zach S 9:59 PM - 4 May, 2011
Very interesting find.
I'm not sure what may have been changed under the hood as we at Rane aren't involved with the software development but I will definitely mention this to the Serato team.

I'm happy to hear you found a workaround though.
I'll be looking into this.
pueblofunky 6:58 AM - 17 August, 2011
Hi,

last night I've played 4.5 hours with SSL 2.3 and without any problems.

I've used the same setup/laptop without any changes on programs, etc. (except the new SSL 2.3 and Windows XP Security Updates).