DJing Discussion

This area is for discussion about DJing in general. Please remember the community rules when posting and try to be polite and inclusive.

What Are You Extremely Anal About? (DJing wise)

DJJOHNNYM 1:31 PM - 11 June, 2007
Me?

I always have to use my own cartridges, and the tonearm height has to be EXACTLY right.

When setting up speakers, the (+)and(-) connections HAVE to be exactly right, it's easy to flip that shit on banana plug connectors.

My shit has to be in stereo.

***sigh***

Carry on.
Nicky Blunt 1:35 PM - 11 June, 2007
Me well Im kinda anal about the spelling of my tracks!

As those of u that have read my posts know Im not the best speller! (Im sure im partially dyslexic) So Im really quite anal about spelling my tracks right so I ca find them when I need to!

Oh and pictures in my mp3's where available!

Serato need to get on this so we can see album cover when playing tracks not for 1 track but both!

Otherwise my brand of ciggarettes!

Besides that I'm good!
De LA 2:03 PM - 11 June, 2007
MIXERS! I hate when clubs have crap mixers that are 20 years old with missing knobs and broken faders. Also places that buy nice techs and then think 100 dollar gemini cd players are good enough.
DJ Autograph 2:47 PM - 11 June, 2007
Hmmm Lets see laundry list here (I'm sure I have OCD)

Tables must be all the way at the edge of the table at 90 degrees

Tone arm height is always 2.5

End of mixer mus always be in line with corner of turntables.

Must always use the same kind of cartridge (and needle color where applicable) on both tables.

Mats on both tables must be the same.

When it comes to Dancehall organization all riddims must be tagged according to riddim name and each has its own crate. ( There is a variation of this for other stuff as well but we won't get into that.

I could go on and on and on.........
Nicky Blunt 2:49 PM - 11 June, 2007
Quote:
I could go on and on and on.........

Thats why I kept mine short I didnt wanna seem like Victor Meldrew!
Thundercat 2:53 PM - 11 June, 2007
Quote:
When setting up speakers, the (+)and(-) connections HAVE to be exactly right, it's easy to flip that shit on banana plug connectors.

My shit has to be in stereo.

That's about it for me. Stereo is massively important. I like to move my sound around a room.

Oh, I'm super anal about tagging my digital files. Nothing makes it to my library without proper tagging and naming per my own conventions.
lvmez 2:59 PM - 11 June, 2007
i agree with nicky. i want my songs to be organized a certain.
DJ Autograph 3:00 PM - 11 June, 2007
yea yea yea, i'm extreemly anal so sue me :P
Nicky Blunt 3:01 PM - 11 June, 2007
litigation papers on the way!
Allwayz happy to oblige
DJJOHNNYM 4:00 PM - 11 June, 2007
Quote:
yea yea yea, i'm extreemly anal so sue me :P

Dude, I can GO ON AND ON...

Ok, here's a snippet...

I too need to have the turntables disco style, BOTH on the LEFT.

I need my COBY headphones.

My MID and HIGH boxes are rectangular, and can easily be placed upside down. I have to have the "Sonic" label or "Community" label upright.

Both stacks of speakers need to be directly in line with each other.

I have to do a sound check with "Dance" by Earth People.

And I use doubles to verify that both TT's are at the same level.

I need to have eaten. (If possible).

Nobody behind me when I spin.

The lights on the amps and processors need to be seen by the crowd.
pt spinna 4:29 PM - 11 June, 2007
Oh, I'm super anal about tagging my digital files. Nothing makes it to my library without proper tagging and naming per my own conventions.

+1
DJ Autograph 4:35 PM - 11 June, 2007
Okay Johnny I think you got me beat. I'm bad but not THAT bad :P
poloi3eai2 4:40 PM - 11 June, 2007
I'm anal about friends borrowing my shit. I have some friends that just DJ as a hobby but dont really keep up with all the new music. Sometimes they'll be asked to do a gig and then ask me ohh can I borrow Serato? your laptop? ohh and your hard drive? Or my non dj friends will ask to borrow ALL my shit for a house party if I can't spin. I'm like hell no I'm not going to let yall borrow my shit and then risk yall fucking up my equiptment or messing up my playlists. They'd all be like little kids fighting over the turntables because they want to scratch.
dj hammurabi 5:10 PM - 11 June, 2007
^^ HAhaha. I just cancel my friendship in that case. LOL.
deepdjdanny 6:48 PM - 11 June, 2007
my club's dj booth isn't in front of the sound system!
& the drive rack & amps are out back in some old kitchen.
& oh yeah:

+100
s42000 7:13 PM - 11 June, 2007
I must have a VIP dressing room behind the DJ Booth/Stage with

1) A landline that can make long distance calls
2) Nice dimm adjustable lighting
3) Bottles of Dasani water chilled and maintained at 60 deg
4) Fresh caviar unopened
5) Playstation 4 and Wii game console (Screen min 42 inches)
6) Private bathroom
7) Condoms - Magnums
8) Real food bar to serve at least 8 (details on contract)
9) 5 Bottles of British Royal Navy Imperial Rum
10)A Butler.
smoothe 7:37 PM - 11 June, 2007
I have to start playing the left tt, if I don't I freak out.
smoothe 7:38 PM - 11 June, 2007
I ment, when I start I have to start playing the left tt.
LightsOut06 7:45 PM - 11 June, 2007
Quote:
I have to start playing the left tt, if I don't I freak out.

weird i like to start with both titties.
DJ Autograph 7:50 PM - 11 June, 2007
Quote:
I ment, when I start I have to start playing the left tt.

Yea same here man. Always start on the left.
DJ-A 9:36 PM - 11 June, 2007
I hate standing on cords
DJ STINKFINGER 9:51 PM - 11 June, 2007
I hate booth set ups that are too high
DJ-A 10:09 PM - 11 June, 2007
Quote:
I hate booth set ups that are too high

or too low... may as well be on the floor so i can sit down on something
smoothe 10:12 PM - 11 June, 2007
And no one can touch my tts, cause I am afraid they'll screw with the counter weight and mess it up, I have to have it exactly so, and I have to have the cartridge screwed in to the exact point I want it lol!
Reactor 10:20 PM - 11 June, 2007
Shitty party promoters.. I don't like getting the run-around..
DJ-A 12:02 AM - 12 June, 2007
people who DJ for free! and asshole club owners/promoters who hire them!
anyone want phone numbers so they can call them and offer their services?

serious that would be funny, yeah my name is little johnny and i want to dj for you. i'll do it for free
OakLawnDJ 9:38 AM - 12 June, 2007
Just the organization of my music, but that's not a problem anymore THANKS TO SSL!!! Damn I love this shit... makes finding music so much easier. (Sorry, I just do late night sessions every night because I'm an insomniac and, though I've had the program for over 2 months now, I'm still amazed at how much more quickly I'm able to cue stuff up and how accurate the feel of everything is.)
djknyce 4:12 PM - 12 June, 2007
Quote:
MIXERS! I hate when clubs have crap mixers that are 20 years old with missing knobs and broken faders.

Same here!! I try to take my 57 everywhere I go.
cappinkirk 4:14 PM - 12 June, 2007
amen gotta have my 57 or i'm not even doing it
john blaze 6:33 PM - 12 June, 2007
WIRES - single file and to the left....
Fader 8:20 PM - 12 June, 2007
Extention cords running across the floor directly under the DJ set-up. Not sure why, but I hate to step on a cord or cable when I play.
Fader 8:21 PM - 12 June, 2007
Oops..I missed DJ-A's post above.
Audio1 8:29 PM - 12 June, 2007
Quote:
Shitty party promoters.. I don't like getting the run-around..

Specially the ones you do a show with for the first time and you rock the party and they somehow try to undercut you at the end of the night, but end up getting your full amount cuz your entourage is there to make sure payment is in full! HA!
DJBlisk 8:44 PM - 12 June, 2007
promoters telling me what to play. yuck.
djransom 9:17 PM - 12 June, 2007
The fact that promoters hire some DJs off the strength of their name as oppose to their talent.
Dj K.Smith 9:23 PM - 12 June, 2007
Quote:
Me?

Setting up my stuff myself... I can have you help me carry the "ish" in but I do get a tad bit anal about hooking my stuff up my damn self...
Dj K.Smith 9:25 PM - 12 June, 2007
Quote:
I too need to have the turntables disco style

Do you also wear platforms and a butterfly collar shirt?!?!? LOL
coitus 9:37 PM - 12 June, 2007
I used to be anal about my records. with control vinyl i dont give a fuck. they are so dirty most the time. serato has changed me as a dj a lot
Request_This_Ladies 9:41 PM - 12 June, 2007
I don't allow anyone with a drink to get near my tables and mixer. I had a night end abruptly when a drunk poured a Long Island into my mixer.

So now visitors have to stand a foot away from everything.
DJ-A 9:47 PM - 12 June, 2007
Quote:
I don't allow anyone with a drink to get near my tables and mixer. I had a night end abruptly when a drunk poured a Long Island into my mixer.

So now visitors have to stand a foot away from everything.

i'm always looking for a way to politely tell old ladies at weddings if you spill that on my stuff i'll break my empty bottle on you
DJ-A 9:50 PM - 12 June, 2007
ohhhh.. but at a paid bar, i love it when a few people put their full glass of whatever on the table, and I ask one of the wait staff to keep my table clear of stuff...
DJ Dub Cowboy 2:14 AM - 13 June, 2007
wrapping my cords...

"no thanks" I'll do it myself
DJJOHNNYM 2:38 AM - 13 June, 2007
Quote:
Quote:
I too need to have the turntables disco style

Do you also wear platforms and a butterfly collar shirt?!?!? LOL

LMAO....

Oh, y'all got JOKES...
SloDeck 3:04 AM - 13 June, 2007
I have to set up myself, and check everything. Then if ish crashes or don't work I go no one to blame but myself. Pretty much the same as everyone else, I don't like people behind me when I play, and I need to be able to see the only entrance to the booth. (I hate when people just apear with requests, If I see em comming I have time to think up an excuse)
dj hoodat baller 3:09 AM - 13 June, 2007
Wanna be dj'fake's haters and posers
AtomicDJ 3:13 AM - 13 June, 2007
My mix cds/demos. if they aint perfect and i don't want to hear them over and over again i figure nobody else does. so sadly, i don't get very many new demos out.
DJ-A 6:28 AM - 13 June, 2007
giving away music... just tonight a dude that works at a place i dj at asked me to fill up his new ipod..
i said sorry dont think so. i paid for all of my music, and thats expensive! i just dont see myself giving it away...
DJ FLATLINE 6:33 AM - 13 June, 2007
1. Nobody can use my needles (bad experience)

2. laptop always sits inside another bag b4 going into the actual "dj bag".

3. cds are nevr face down on any surface...never

4. will never lick my fingers to get grip on the record in any club setting.

5. un-tagged files are a no-no as far as loading it to my external

6. turntables/mixer get a wipedown b4 and sometimes during sets (like to see things dust free)

7. Interface, Hard Drive, laptop are never put in the same location in the bag...wires and plugs are never put in the same spot as any of the three.

That's all I can think of right now.....lol
sixxx 7:04 AM - 13 June, 2007
Quote:
giving away music... just tonight a dude that works at a place i dj at asked me to fill up his new ipod..
i said sorry dont think so. i paid for all of my music, and thats expensive! i just dont see myself giving it away...

You just fill it up with 100 copies of Lean Like a Cholo

haha
Nicky Blunt 9:10 AM - 13 June, 2007
Quote:
Quote:

You just fill it up with 100 copies of Lean Like a Cholo

haha

what is it with that song?

It sucks so badly! It actually blows!
DJ Michael Basic 9:54 AM - 13 June, 2007
Man, you should see my library.

Spelling, capitalization, format, everything has to be right.

If I have a track that looks like, artist - Title-clean I'll change it to Artist - Title (Clean) If it's Artist - Title (Inst) I'll change it to Artist - Title (Instrumental) All my club set and house set tracks have the color dot tagged, and I have a comment for every song in my house set as well. It took me about a year to get everything done but it was worth it.

Also, I'm rebuilding the overviews for 1.72 and they'll be done when I wake up tomorrow. That's exciting too.
Nicky Blunt 9:59 AM - 13 June, 2007
Micheal Basic you seem about as anal as me in that sense!

My mate's all laugh at how organized my shit is!
However when they play on my set up they allways say damn I wish my shit was this easy to find!

Ha ha ha!

I mean Ive got a long way to go before everything is done properly! However I have to keep telling myself it will all be worth it when its done!
DJJOHNNYM 11:57 AM - 13 June, 2007
Quote:
Every record must have an inner sleeve, and the opening of the inner sleeve must face upward inside the outer sleeve; I don't want any records falling out unexpectedly.

^^^^This right here is SERIOUS.
DJJOHNNYM 12:12 PM - 13 June, 2007
Quote:

Spelling, capitalization, format, everything has to be right.

I can see myself going NUTZ with this.

[RANT] Y'all LAUGH at me not having Serato yet, but ONE main reason is that I'M PROCRASTINATING with converting to vinyl.

I'm so anal about it, that I want to do it EXACTLY RIGHT the first time, and NEVER will want to do it again. That means EXTREME care in picking out bitrates, file formats, syntaxes of files, how I'm going to manage the DIGITAL FILES I already have, and deciding if I'm going to keep them or not, setting up a checklist or routine of QA of them to pass before moving them to the FINAL Destination Folder. Shit, even deciding to use LABEL COMPANIES CD'S vs. the VINYL. Trying to not sound too DIGITAL, etc..etc...

I already KNOW I have to listen to EVERY SINGLE ONE before I use it in Serato, and that's before the damn overviews.

That also means getting a car stereo (since I spend a LOT of time in the car), that has an option to listen to FLASH DRIVES DIRECTLY, or an AUX in for some type of digital player...

These conversions will not just be for Serato, but will also be the foundation for how I'm gonna listen to music in the future.

It has to be EXACTLY RIGHT.

Even this shit with purchasing a mixer, cuz the Radio Shack won't cut it anymore (sob). I mean I could MAKE IT WORK, but still...my latest ones have been falling apart quite rapidly....could be the fact that they're over 20 years old....but still.[/RANT]
Thundercat 3:06 PM - 13 June, 2007
Quote:
Shit, even deciding to use LABEL COMPANIES CD'S vs. the VINYL. Trying to not sound too DIGITAL, etc..etc...

That was a decision I found myself going back and forth with. I decided to go with the vinyl rip. I like the color my carts give the sound. I'm not archiving music, I'm a DJ. =)