DJing Discussion

This area is for discussion about DJing in general. Please remember the community rules when posting and try to be polite and inclusive.

How Do You Play It Off When You F**K Up Mixing Live?

twinsouls 9:12 AM - 11 June, 2007
When I feel I have messed up like maybe going off beat for a second,I shake my head to aknowledge that Ive messed up and Im upset with myself.

I guess Id respect someone who can admit when he f**ks up instead of being on some American Idol sh*t thinking his sh*ts on point when he sucks or sucks for the moment.

I know a DJ who will look at whoevers standing beside him like there the ones who caused him to f**k up even if their not paying attention to him or bugging him in anyway.I learned to walk away ASAP so that he cant blame me.LOL
djivanlopez.com 9:37 AM - 11 June, 2007
I just take a deep breath, shake my head in disapproval of myself and move on to looking for the next song.
Psyko Logical 9:49 AM - 11 June, 2007
I once screamed "FUCK!!" directly into a TV camera at an event being judged by DJ AM because I picked up the wrong needle. I tend to get really in to what I'm doing, so when I fuck up I take it hard. But I'm beginning to learn to let that shit slide.
allenbina 9:54 AM - 11 June, 2007
i shrug and wince, but thats about it. my crowd isnt particular and they dont really give a shit.
DJ_Mike_Coquilla 12:32 PM - 11 June, 2007
play that one siren horn (brrrrrruuuuuurrrrrrrr, echo, echo) & yell in the mic "Reeeeeeemixxxxx"
dj shadow from detroit 1:56 PM - 11 June, 2007
haha mike that's crazzy!lol

if i mess up i just try to focus more you cant let little thing's get you.exspecially if your djing for 5-8 hour's.lol
smoothe 3:18 PM - 11 June, 2007
Me? I just start over if I mess up.
De LA 3:23 PM - 11 June, 2007
Quote:
Me? I just start over if I mess up.

you dj so bad....;p
DJ Autograph 3:39 PM - 11 June, 2007
I just shrug if off. You are bound to have one or two if you are behind the decks for 4-6 hrs.
Thundercat 3:46 PM - 11 June, 2007
Keep it moving. Nothing to see here. Push It Along. Shit happens. =)
Bigfourty4 3:59 PM - 11 June, 2007
I put on a gun shot sample----everyone gets scared.....so they don't even realize the mistake.....

JK
s42000 4:01 PM - 11 June, 2007
I dont f-up ..... LOL
dirtbag filthy 4:03 PM - 11 June, 2007
i do 50 pushups
dj skraps 4:07 PM - 11 June, 2007
Quote:

same here
dj_soo 4:15 PM - 11 June, 2007
i usually scowl but i'm trying not to. 90% of the people in the club either won't notice or won't remember 30 seconds later. By acknowledging it, you just look like an unhappy dj...
dj_soo 4:16 PM - 11 June, 2007
unless it's a really bad fuck up - then i just give the alfred e newman "what me worry?" look and point to my drink.
Djbran 5:03 PM - 11 June, 2007
Quote:
play that one siren horn (brrrrrruuuuuurrrrrrrr, echo, echo) & yell in the mic "Reeeeeeemixxxxx"

Forreals! Ahaha
dj hammurabi 5:16 PM - 11 June, 2007
Quote:
I put on a gun shot sample----everyone gets scared.....so they don't even realize the mistake.....

JK
Haha. Perfect.
lvmez 5:25 PM - 11 June, 2007
Quote:

LOL!!!!!!!!!!
dj skraps 5:32 PM - 11 June, 2007
Quote:
point to my drink.

LOL...ive done that a few times..hehe
Dj KaGeN 5:48 PM - 11 June, 2007
in the EDM world, there seems to be a bit of an art form in covering up mixes that start to get shitty on ya. But when hell does break loose - I have heard and watched the best of the best get sideways and some smile, wave to the crowd apologetically and my favorite are the ones that hold their glass up and take a sip. Nothing worse than the dude that refuses to man up and admit the fuckkup by trying to save the train by leaving it off and slowly fading the bullshit out all the while acting like it was totally intentional.
djal 6:00 PM - 11 June, 2007
One DJ I know would get on the mic and say "Old turntables do that sometime".
sixxx 6:00 PM - 11 June, 2007
If there's another DJ in the booth. I duck down. :)
DJ Autograph 6:29 PM - 11 June, 2007
Quote:

Funny story I just remembered as I read that. I did a concert back in H.s. and one of my buddies had some F-ed up tables that he brought. Now this guy knew these things did not work. Performers are on stage waiting for me to start the track. I panic, frantically trying to fix this turntable while my boy somehow manages to slip away and go to another part of the building. Needles to say I got called out and embarassed by the guys on stage....
cappinkirk 7:10 PM - 11 June, 2007
...nobody ever "f's up" or "does wrong", some people just learn things in public sometimes that they should have already learned at home.

if you wanna be perfect all the time you should push for the automix haha
cappinkirk 7:10 PM - 11 June, 2007
i like the "old turntables" bit tho!
AlexRage 7:18 PM - 11 June, 2007
i love the djs that fuck up and then start like staring at the monitors...like they're not good enough for their mighty dj ears or something.
nik39 7:52 PM - 11 June, 2007
Quote:
When I feel I have messed up like maybe going off beat for a second,I shake my head to aknowledge that Ive messed up and Im upset with myself.

I do all kind of funky grimaces on my face...
DJ Lagos 8:18 PM - 11 June, 2007
i just yell fuck!!!!!!!!!!!!and keep going. at least 99% of the people in the club cant do our job anyway so who gives a fuck if we mess up every now and then. as long as you are not messing up the whole night.
Rebelguy 8:27 PM - 11 June, 2007
#1 Announce that you have had two many drinks so step the F*** off.
#2 Pick a random person around the both and point at them.
#3 Duck down for 30 Seconds.
#4 Keep on mixing and pretend that you meant to do it.
sixxx 8:50 PM - 11 June, 2007
#5 Say... This is DJ Rebelguy in the mix. lol
Audio1 9:09 PM - 11 June, 2007
Chris The Rebel, that is, tho, he never trainwrecks. Not thats Ive heard in the last 10 years or so.

and someone mentioned horns/yelling reeeeeeeeeemix,
try hitting the first cue and act like it was part of the mix. LOL
DJ Irv 9:11 PM - 11 June, 2007
i duck behind the dj both for a few seconds.
Audio1 9:18 PM - 11 June, 2007
haha
J. eMCee 9:24 PM - 11 June, 2007
I take a bow.........at least a few people will laugh or clap. Sometimes I am way too serious, but I try to shrug it off the best I can.
DJ Eighty 8 9:26 PM - 11 June, 2007
2 avoid this problem every DJ should invest in some sort of sampler, I own a Roland SP-404. It has saved me on some real 'efed-uped situations. Having this tool is even more effective if U have professional DJ drops programed in. Hey man shit happens!
Dj KaGeN 9:28 PM - 11 June, 2007
just press the cue button a 100 times.... so it sounds like the cd is skipping..
Dj Chinn 9:29 PM - 11 June, 2007
I Fix it quick!
Dj Chinn 9:29 PM - 11 June, 2007
I Fix it quick and thats it
DJ Eighty 8 9:31 PM - 11 June, 2007
Quote:
#1 Announce that you have had two many drinks so step the F*** off.
#2 Pick a random person around the both and point at them.
#3 Duck down for 30 Seconds.
#4 Keep on mixing and pretend that you meant to do it.

Man these R some funny ass options! I'm still laughing!!!
Psyko Logical 10:16 PM - 11 June, 2007
Bring extra CV and smash the record over the table.
smoothe 10:22 PM - 11 June, 2007
Lol smash the record over the table, lol.
Rebelguy 11:07 PM - 11 June, 2007
Quote:
Bring extra CV and smash the record over the table.

I have actually witnessed this done more than a few times. haha
jaysus 2:16 AM - 12 June, 2007
Backspin hard and start dancing.
DJ FLATLINE 7:52 AM - 12 June, 2007
oh man...back b4 serato, I used to rip the record off the table and throw it on the pile of records I had already played.....lol. After I took a deep breath, it was back to normal and on to the next mix....Never happens twice in the same night though.

It's ok to show some signs of humanity saying how we're basically gods to the patrons for the time we're behind the decks.
blackavenger 10:25 AM - 12 June, 2007
Quote:
Quote:

same here

Likewise, the best reaction is not having one!

Quote:

Funny....

Quote:

Funnier....

Quote:

Funniest....."everyone gets scared".......hahahaha!