DJing Discussion

This area is for discussion about DJing in general. Please remember the community rules when posting and try to be polite and inclusive.

Mac Book Pro Vs Mac Book

dj charmah 8:44 AM - 11 June, 2007
Hello All,

I've given up on my windows laptop. It crashed every 3 hours of play with a usb drop out.

Im now willing to invest in an Apple Mac. Can anyone tell me.

Should I get a Mac Book (2Ghz dual core) or a Mac Book Pro (2.16Ghz dual core)

The first has a smaller screen and is half the price, but Im willing to spend if the mac book pro is necesassry.

Please advise?
Rane, Support
Shaun W 3:29 PM - 11 June, 2007
*moved to general*
DJ Dub Cowboy 3:32 PM - 11 June, 2007
Quote:
Should I get a Mac Book (2Ghz dual core) or a Mac Book Pro (2.16Ghz dual core)

Yes
DJDASH 3:43 PM - 11 June, 2007
Go with the MscBook Pro
Reason is, the pro has Firewire 800 ports and also has a n expantion slot for a eSATA card for even faster drives. This will free up 2 USB ports ansd 1 Firewire 400 port. Def enough for everything exturnal.
I have a pro and never had any problems.
DJ-A 3:45 PM - 11 June, 2007
how much do you want to spend? Can you afford the Pro?
DJ-A 3:45 PM - 11 June, 2007
can't complain about the lighted display either... be nice if it was a little brighter though
cappinkirk 5:10 PM - 11 June, 2007
new LED screens - funny
dj hammurabi 5:14 PM - 11 June, 2007
Listen,

THere is no real reason for the PRO... unless you're using it for apps besides Serato...

The reg Macbooks have more than enough power to run Serato. Don't waste ur money.
marx 5:49 PM - 11 June, 2007
i would only get a pro if ur planning on doing video. if not then u can just get a used g4 off ebay...alot cheaper..& just load it with max ram. u can't go wrong
rabblerouser 6:15 PM - 11 June, 2007
Quote:
i would only get a pro if ur planning on doing video. if not then u can just get a used g4 off ebay...alot cheaper..& just load it with max ram. u can't go wrong

+1...early last year i spent $700 on a loaded 12" powerbook and spent some of the savings on a quality external 7200rpm firewire drive. b/c all of my music is on that drive, i can just bring that to a gig and run all my music off my partner's laptop. he's got a macbook and i actually like using my machine a little better because of the usb limitations of the MB. i've recorded 5-6 hour sets through 57sl into my powerbook and have had no trouble.

depending on where you play, your laptop can get abused in the dj booth.
dj charmah 6:21 PM - 11 June, 2007
Thanks guys - I think i'll go with the mac book. Ive ordered one off Apple for £1000 should be with me in a few days. Im sick and tired of all the crap that Windows operating sys' throw at me, they require too much tweeking and still dont function right.

I'll let you know how the mac goes after weekend.

Peace out - all comments appreciated.
marx 8:57 PM - 11 June, 2007
macs aren't perfect either
marx 8:57 PM - 11 June, 2007
i've seen that beachball a couple of times. but for sure better then windows.
sixxx 8:59 PM - 11 June, 2007
My than is better than your then. lol
marx 1:55 AM - 12 June, 2007
just depends what u do with it. i do alot of video editing 3d graffics etc. u should never see the beachball when just using serato
Mr. $weetlife 2:06 AM - 12 June, 2007
I love my MacBook!!! Go For It!!!
Mr. $weetlife 2:08 AM - 12 June, 2007
I know nothing about web design and did this within a week of owning my MAC...

<a href="web.mac.com HERE FOR MY WEBSITE!!!</a>
Mr. $weetlife 2:10 AM - 12 June, 2007
Oops try this web.mac.com
DJ Dub Cowboy 2:31 AM - 12 June, 2007
even though the .mac sites are kind of generic, they still look better than a lot of the crap that is out there. I like your pages.

I'm from SB too, State St. crawl all the way home......
DJDASH 5:16 PM - 20 June, 2007
Quote:
new LED screens - funny

it's funny you said that because if you turn up the brightness of your display while sreato is playing a track you can hear a low click in the main speakers output.
really funny
cappinkirk 5:22 PM - 20 June, 2007
i said it cos they updated the new macbook pros with brighter LED screens (among other advancements) almost the same day this was posted
NotoriousM.I.T. 6:11 PM - 20 June, 2007
Quote:
Thanks guys - I think i'll go with the mac book. Ive ordered one off Apple for £1000 should be with me in a few days. Im sick and tired of all the crap that Windows operating sys' throw at me, they require too much tweeking and still dont function right.

please do not tell me just paid $2000 for a macbook and it's not a pro
Boogie Down Martin 9:02 PM - 20 June, 2007
For SSL use I don't think you will notice a difference performance wise. But the MacBook Pro feels and looks more professional (aluminium vs. plastic). And the screen is bigger and better. Just go to a store and figure out if that's worth the extra $$$ to you. For me it was.
As-One 9:09 PM - 20 June, 2007
Quote:
Quote:

please do not tell me just paid $2000 for a macbook and it's not a pro

... he's in the UK.
AdamJay 9:13 PM - 20 June, 2007
i got the first gen Macbook Pro. back then they had an option for 7200rpm HD's and the Non-Pros were not out yet. I do a good bit of video production with this too, and it chews through Adobe CS3 thanks to 2GB of RAM.

But if i were buying today, i could spend the same amount of money and get a refurbed iMac Intel and a Macbook, rather than buy an MBP...and i'd be able to do all my video on the iMac with its dedicated GPU, and Serato on the Macbook.

So to those of you who are considering an MBP right now, consider that as an option as well - basically 2 machines for the price of one. Portability where you need it (Serato), and power where you need it (at home).

Still, no regrets.. i've had this machine for rougly 15 months and love it to death.
By simply getting a mac, whichever mac it may be, you can't go wrong.
DJUltimate 2:50 PM - 22 June, 2007
Quote:
Quote:

+1...early last year i spent $700 on a loaded 12" powerbook and spent some of the savings on a quality external 7200rpm firewire drive. b/c all of my music is on that drive, i can just bring that to a gig and run all my music off my partner's laptop. he's got a macbook and i actually like using my machine a little better because of the usb limitations of the MB. i've recorded 5-6 hour sets through 57sl into my powerbook and have had no trouble.

depending on where you play, your laptop can get abused in the dj booth.

I bought a 13" iBook G4 from a friend for $400. I used it for about a year and a half and the then the motherboard crapped out on me (it's a known issue referred to by Apple Technicians as S.I.D.S. = Sudden Ibook Death Syndrome) and I sold it for parts on eBay for $300. So I paid $100 bucks to use it for 18 months!
DJUltimate 2:51 PM - 22 June, 2007
get the macbook
Giorgos 12:53 AM - 23 June, 2007
MacBook Pro if you have the cash... IMO it's a better product price / quality wise...