DJing Discussion

This area is for discussion about DJing in general. Please remember the community rules when posting and try to be polite and inclusive.

What's up with DJ's that spin @ clubs and don't charge?

Crickett 7:16 PM - 10 June, 2007
You assholes are ruining it for the rest of us!
Yeah,Yeah I know its business.....But you idiots make all of us in the business look like chumps..Club owners and promoters make money off of your hard work,..Be SMART!

Don't take the gig without getting paid!!!
djskiggz 7:23 PM - 10 June, 2007
who does that??????????????
Crickett 7:35 PM - 10 June, 2007
These guys know who they are....I had alot of respect for one of them...It just goes to show you how stupid some of us be.

Ask to be paid or don't take the spot, period.
djskiggz 7:47 PM - 10 June, 2007
say who
poloi3eai2 7:49 PM - 10 June, 2007
DJ's what want to get exposure. You know at one point in your DJ career probably way way back you'd DJ anything that was offered to you for free. I'd spin for free at a big/popular club on a saturday night just to show off my skills to the crowd and promoter. I'd only do it for one night though, after that if the promoter wants to hire me I'd charge regular price.
DJ Silk 12:43 AM - 11 June, 2007
Quote:
DJ's what want to get exposure. You know at one point in your DJ career probably way way back you'd DJ anything that was offered to you for free. I'd spin for free at a big/popular club on a saturday night just to show off my skills to the crowd and promoter. I'd only do it for one night though, after that if the promoter wants to hire me I'd charge regular price.

It's one thing to do an hour set to demo your skills at a club, but to do a whole night for free to get a job hurts you as well as every other DJ in the game.
Promoters/club owners who use "free" dj's don't turn around in most cases and say "hey....you did a great job...I'm going to pay you "insert number here."
They'll just find the next "free dj" to play.

Work smart...a new jock isn't going to command top dollar...but if he's good enough to hold it down at the club, then he's good enough to be fairly compensated.

You work for free...more then likely you'll always work for free.

You work for next to nothing...you'll always get paid next to nothing.

If you command your worth...then you'll get that....and then some.
sixxx 12:45 AM - 11 June, 2007
Names or it never happened.
DJ Silk 12:52 AM - 11 June, 2007
DJ Zuess...out of philly. Played in Old city for free until the promoter raised his pay to $150 a night.

The situation....
$15 a night he paid for parking
He had to bring his own sound system...up a flight of steps.
He played from 9pm - 2pm Friday and Saturday nights.

the club held 500 people and charged $10 a head.
= $5000 at the door each night.

That's the bullshit!
DJ Dub Cowboy 4:18 AM - 11 June, 2007
usually gets the club in the end.

I almost ended up owning and running the big club in my town, but got beat out by a guy with lots of $$.
He hired me for the first two months, when he had 600 people for $200 a night. I kept asking for a bonus when the club is packed like that and he just replaced me. His reasoning was that the DJ doesn't make a difference.

A year later, I walked through the club (last night). There was a DJ playing for free and 20 people in the room. The owner was one of them. This was at 1am, when it should have been poppin'.

The club is up for sale again.
flame 4:32 AM - 11 June, 2007
Same thing happens down here in Jakarta man.
three years ago DJs are gettin paid really great.
Until more and more "so-called-funkyassmix-dj" came to the game
and charge nothing, except for a pitcher of beer.

two years ago i only spin once every 2 months, which is really aweful. They said I charge way to expensive...

But at the end of the day, the promotors know what kind of quality theyre getting from free DJs... Thanks to that, and Serato ofcourse, my career is getting better nowadays. hahahaha =)
Niro 4:44 AM - 11 June, 2007
Yo Flame where are you at in Indo. We might be heading there on a surf trip in September.

The thing that sucks about the low ball or free DJ's is that there's a lot of them and a lot of clubs and bars that don't understand. After the bar realizes how awful it was, than you have a wack promoter stepping up and who does he hire, another low-ball DJ.

It's tough sometimes, especially when you see DJ's trainwrecking and seeing them play at a few spots. You wonder who is hiring these people.

S
sixxx 4:51 AM - 11 June, 2007
You gotta charge even if it's for gas money EVEN if you're just barely getting into the scene. I don't know about you guys but I don't work for free. I may work cheap (depending on what it is I'm doing) but not free.
sixxx 4:52 AM - 11 June, 2007
Like the old saying...

"Why be a whore, when you can be a prostitute" :P
DJ Dub Cowboy 5:01 AM - 11 June, 2007
why is it that the people with enough $$ to buy a club usually have no clue?

anyone have any positive stories about club owners knowing whats up? I could really use one for bedtime.
sixxx 5:01 AM - 11 June, 2007
Quote:

anyone have any positive stories about club owners knowing whats up? I could really use one for bedtime.

That's because a lot of people don't actually own the club. They lease the building so it's a tough business out there. Either way, they gotta fit the DJ into their budget. Fuckers.
Niro 5:27 AM - 11 June, 2007
^^^ I would also say there's just a lot of dummies in this world, not everyone should be a leader.

Niros
flame 5:37 AM - 11 June, 2007
Hey Niro. Im at West Jakarta.
Where you gone surfin? Bali?
MusicMeister 2:59 PM - 11 June, 2007
Quote:
Quote:

That's because a lot of people don't actually own the club. They lease the building so it's a tough business out there. Either way, they gotta fit the DJ into their budget. Fuckers.

Running a bar isn't easy. The bartenders rip you off (overpouring, bringing in their own booze, and outright stealing), the waitstaff rip you off (usually working with a bartender), the security rip you off (letting people in for free), and it goes on from there. Then when you consider the average 'bar' (not nightclub) will only pay 10% of the pour costs for entertainment it really caps what they are willing to pay. A $1500 night means a max of $150 for entertainment.

But when a bar should be running 25-30% pour costs and the bartender is making it closer to 50% it really cuts into your profits. And when that happens you have to cut costs somewhere... and the first place they think to cut costs is the entertaiment. It's screwed up, yes. But it's the one thing they don't think 'makes' them money.

Larger clubs usually think differently because they know how finicky the club-goers can be. But the overhead in a large club means you HAVE to pack the house. If you don't pack the house you loose money. That's why most of your larger clubs provide things like 'bottle service' and VIP rooms where they make a LOT more money.

Trust me, after being a bartender and then managing a bar/club I see how easy it is for people to rip you off and how hard it is to find honest bartenders/waitstaff. I also know how hard it is to find a good DJ. Everyone thinks they can DJ until you put them in the booth... some come out after 3 songs and 10 minutes going 'What do I play next?' and some just have no idea what to do.

But I do want to add this, playing night after night for free is just plain stupid unless it's charity or you are part owner of the club. In other words, you need to be getting something out of it. If you're from 'sticksville' and get the chance to play a decent club in NYC/LAX for free because someone caught your mixtape and wants to see what you can do live for a night - then do it. But only once and bring a lot of your mixtapes and a friend to sell them while you're on the decks. In other words, get soemthing out of it - even when you're playing for free.

I used to karaoke a LOT. I stopped because I was bringing a $15,000 karaoke library, $10,000 in audio/video equipment (my mixer alone cost $1000) and 8 (sometimes more) books that cost me $350+ to print up (only to have people pour drinks and beer on them) for $150 a night. Trust me, you do NOT want to do karoake because the guy down the street who doesn't care is bringing in a laptop with downloaded tracks and 2 books (sometimes handwritten sheets and bad photocopies) for a couple pitchers of beer. When was the last time you handed a drunk a $100 piece of equipment hoping he wouldn't puke on it or spike it? KJ's do it all the time with a good microphone (Shure SM-58's). And don't even get me started on what all the smoke does to high end audio equipment. As bad as you think it is for DJ's it's 10x worse for KJ's.

Fortunately, a lot of my karaoke equipment works well for my small 'studio'... I just need to replace some of my gear I sold off and I'll be able to start recording bands live and some basic post production work.

But back on topic... you're right, people without any idea of what they're worth is creating a problem for some others in the industry.

But what I find really funny is that anyone who charges less than you is a bottom-feeder and everyone that charges more than you sucks and is overcharging....
shiestO! 3:22 PM - 11 June, 2007
Quote:
It just goes to show you how stupid some of us be.

:)
Dj Kabrini Greens 3:43 PM - 11 June, 2007
Yea dont do it for the love of the art do it for $$$$$$$!!!!!!

Thats exactly why I started djing BAAAAA---CHING!
Bigfourty4 3:51 PM - 11 June, 2007
I have never done anything for free

I may have charged close to nothing---but it was NOT free

Also, if all you are concerned about is MONEY...you should work at a hedge hedge.

If the Financial Sector doesn't work because you have a hardon for music----Stop playing other People's tracks---and PRODUCE your own.

Just my 2 cents
DJ Autograph 4:06 PM - 11 June, 2007
Quote:
I have never done anything for free

I may have charged close to nothing---but it was NOT free

Also, if all you are concerned about is MONEY...you should work at a hedge hedge.

If the Financial Sector doesn't work because you have a hardon for music----Stop playing other People's tracks---and PRODUCE your own.

Just my 2 cents

Hedge Hedge? You mean Hedge Fund right :P

And I do both for the record. Music is the passion and Finance pays the bills. But OVER MY DEAD BODY would I DJ for nothing ( Unless its for charity and even then pay my travelling expenses._
Bigfourty4 4:14 PM - 11 June, 2007
Yea-- I meant Hedge Fund

The only reasons i would dj free are:

1) I make enough at my regular job
2) People need to hear new shit
3) an a audition for a residencly would pay more than my day job
4) My friends are throwing a party

other than that----it basically goes along the lines of how i put my mixes up on here....i really don't care about the $...i would rather just have my shit played
DJ Autograph 4:29 PM - 11 June, 2007
^^^
Not even.

I make enough at my regular job but its a matter of priciple. My time is valuable and you know what I bring to the table interms of entertaining your patrons. So pay me for it!
djbabyboy 4:36 PM - 11 June, 2007
Crickett, Why you start a trend and not giving up no names. Makes me wonder if you are talking about yourself not getting paid to play at a club and want to see what everyone thinks about a dj not getting paid.
DJ Autograph 4:38 PM - 11 June, 2007
principle.........damn it I can't spell
Bigfourty4 5:03 PM - 11 June, 2007
WHen my friends throw a party---Shit goes down hard--- by the end of the night---like 3 or 4 random people come up and tell me they need me for another party of theirs coming up----then i drop my price tag on them.....but not MY friends
DJ Autograph 5:22 PM - 11 June, 2007
Oh no. I was referring to your number one reason. Friends are a given...
Bigfourty4 5:25 PM - 11 June, 2007
True---MTV--My time is Valuable

At my day job---my hourly bill rate is what most dj's make per night...unfortunately---I don't see all of that-----but at the end of the day--- I realize what my time and services are worth.
Crickett 6:57 PM - 11 June, 2007
Baby boy...Here's the deal kid.

If I put the cats on blast I look like a sore loser?
So I play it kool and let the cats that im talking about see it on the SSL board.

They know who they are...Listen im all about doing what you love..I've been rocking crowds since 1992...

But in the end it's a business. And, Promoters owners will dick you around all day.

If we all follow a basic code. (like) getting paid for the hard work? Then we will all lift ourselves up and get the cash we deserve.
This was a little helpful reminder to these cats that we all prosper by using some basic business etiquette.

Ya dig?
DjCarzz 7:13 PM - 11 June, 2007
if ur promoter offers to pay u under the table wat do u all do?

jus throwin it out there
Bigfourty4 7:20 PM - 11 June, 2007
Why don't Dj's form a union.

Think about it----standard payment rates----if they refuse to pay -----you stike/walk out
DJ Autograph 7:29 PM - 11 June, 2007
^^^^

Actually though about that. But as it has been said many a time before, most promoters/bar-club owners don't understand how important music is to the environment they are trying to create. There will always some guy who just wants to get on that will go against what the union is doing. Its a good idea, just not a realistic one.
jayfunk 7:46 PM - 11 June, 2007
Quote:
You assholes are ruining it for the rest of us!
Yeah,Yeah I know its business.....But you idiots make all of us in the business look like chumps..Club owners and promoters make money off of your hard work,..Be SMART!

Don't take the gig without getting paid!!!

we got alot of that here in chicago, bunch of back stabbin people but they are on the hustle which i can understand, just dont do it at my expense. at the end of the day, you get what you pay for, and those other "MICROWAVE DJ's" will get whats coming to them: NOTHING
Audio1 8:35 PM - 11 June, 2007
Want some names? Try looking up most DJ's in the rave scenes. Definitiely one of the reasons Im no longer playing raves at the local level and working on club nights. Rave Promoters only book people who dont charge and if your inquired about playing a gig and you discuss compensation, They first look at you crazt, then decide to put your name on a fuckin' blacklist. The same happens in scenes from NY to LA. Some pretty wack bullshit if you ask me. Some rave promoters make a killing and still cant even kick cash down to their DJ's? My advice is: Anyone who plays a whole night or even just one hour and doesnt get paid is a straight bitch. STAND UP FOR YOURSELF. GO FOR YOURS! NUFF SAID.
allenbina 8:40 PM - 11 June, 2007
Quote:
Why don't Dj's form a union.

Think about it----standard payment rates----if they refuse to pay -----you stike/walk out

i think its been tried before. i tried to do it a while ago for the socal djs... didnt happen.
djbabyboy 8:51 PM - 11 June, 2007
i dig....
DJMark 10:34 AM - 12 June, 2007
One legitimate reason I can think of for doing a DJ gig for free: charity/benefit events. As long as it's put on by a reputable organization that's NOT actually spending most of the receipts on "administrative costs"...and NOT being put on by some shady club promoter who's pocketing most of the money and giving the named charities some piddling amount.

Getting DJ's to organize or form a union would be a really good idea, but unfortunately would require a degree of professionalism, humility and common sense that (sorry!) I find lacking among way too many DJ's to allow the idea to ever work.
Dj Blaze 11:52 AM - 12 June, 2007
I'm Curious... what it is that everyone is charging out there per hour, set, night, etc... whatever your case may be.

-maybe there should be a standard that needs to be set, like an un spoken rule amongst us.

Lets face it, the SSL community is a big one, stretching all around the world, setting the industry standard in my opinion. We can change the attitude of what a dj's cost is...

We need to be respected, everyone im sure spends countless hours on music and mixing that goes unnoticed. Not to mention all the other cost and expenses of equipment, traveling and setting up.

Lets talk about what a legitimate price would be so new djs would know where to start... Setting something like a minimum wage!!!

For instance, in Germany there isn't a minimum wage and people are treated like slaves fighting for good paying jobs! Without a minimum wage there will always be someone out there who charges less. Think about it... Lets set the standard, pass it on to others and go from there.
djransom 12:10 PM - 12 June, 2007
Charge what you feel that you are worth. Your work speaks for itself so the pay should follow that. As stated before, the only free gigs I would do would be for charity or some very close friends. Otherwise, I'm going to charge you for my services.
Bigfourty4 12:39 PM - 12 June, 2007
If I had someone that was opening up before me (playing 1.5-2 hours from like 10-12---then i went on till close) i would charge at least $50 per hour.

As far as travel goes-you should be able to create an expense report. In my day job, everything is billed to the client (eg: Airfare, hotel rooms, 3 meals a day). We obviously try to keep to the costs down so that the client doesn't get pissed off, but it is part of the business and every firm it this way.

If you are really concerned about being reimbursed for travel (which is a very serious issue), you should definately create an expense form. Propose the idea to whoever is hiring you.

If you are driving- you should be able to get these costs reimbursed:
- Mileage on car: about 46.5 cents per mile driven,roundtrip
(US government rate that takes into account depreciation)
- gasoline expenses
- parking and tolls: there are a lot of tolls in and around the nyc area, and it may not be applicable to all people

Overall, you should provide a receipt for everything possible. When recording mileage, you record the miles before you start driving and when you get home.

Yea, I know this may sound silly, buy when you think of it, it is an expense that they should be paying. Let me know if you guys need a sample expense form---I will be more than happy to provide one.
Bigfourty4 12:44 PM - 12 June, 2007
^^^Also, if you tell the hiring party to pass it by an accountant---they would tell you that this is totally normal. If YOU have a personal accountant (typically a CPA for small businesses) tell them you are interested in being able to claim reimbursable expenses...they should be able to provide you with a lot more information.

Accountants are really good for financial advice. Being one myself, I/they can provide informaiton on sound investments, book keeping, claiming proper wages, paying taxes to government, starting up a business (limited liability corp. vs sole proprietorship vs corporation).

They pretty much would be able to get you up and running and point you in the right direction.

Overall, you are paying them to say you money. But in this case, the cost savings are a lot more than what you would be paying them.
cappinkirk 2:32 PM - 12 June, 2007
what is this even about? there is a dj performing for free that is somehow impacting your business? why would you tell someone you are competing with to demand money??? this is highly illogical. if you're the boss then take him out and get his spot. if you're not the boss then quit crying!

why do you even care how many people are in your promoter's club? I know it gives you a big rep to say that your party was the biggest but unless you get paid by the head that shouldn't concern you (or unless you're a promoter!)

cmon now a dj union??? u think you're hoffa or something?

DJing is the closest thing to a scam ever. you get paid to play music. you don't even perform the music or sing at all. i know your transitions are the best and your scratches are the baddest!!! but cmon now you are getting paid to stand there and do the fader slap!! i don't care how good you are or how many people are in your club having the time of their life. you can stand up there like you're paul oakenfold making the most critical rotary fader adjustments ever even with an important feeling look on your face and it does not matter.

you can be replaced by a mix CD so accept it and handle your business, not everyone else's (it doesn't matter what you think, it's what the owner thinks)!
Bigfourty4 2:58 PM - 12 June, 2007
Quote:

You DO realize that every other type of skilled labor has one. Construction, Pilots, ect. It's meant to ensure quality control and protect your salalry. OH..Shit..wait, I see.. You might have the "skill". And no, I'm definately not Hoffa.

Quote:

DJing is the closest thing to a scam ever. you get paid to play music. you don't even perform the music

Tell that to Dj's like Daft Punk--last time I checked they used some synths. Enferno definately performs the music and he posts here. www.scratchlive.net

Quote:
you can be replaced by a mix CD

you must be that guy......

Quote:
it doesn't matter what you think, it's what the owner thinks

I guess that is why big dj's play whatever they want--and don't cater to the owner

Check yourself before you wreck yourself
bmac6996 2:59 PM - 12 June, 2007
Quote:
what is this even about? there is a dj performing for free that is somehow impacting your business? why would you tell someone you are competing with to demand money??? this is highly illogical. if you're the boss then take him out and get his spot. if you're not the boss then quit crying!

why do you even care how many people are in your promoter's club? I know it gives you a big rep to say that your party was the biggest but unless you get paid by the head that shouldn't concern you (or unless you're a promoter!)

DJing is the closest thing to a scam ever. you get paid to play music. you don't even perform the music or sing at all. i know your transitions are the best and your scratches are the baddest!!! but cmon now you are getting paid to stand there and do the fader slap!! i don't care how good you are or how many people are in your club having the time of their life. you can stand up there like you're paul oakenfold making the most critical rotary fader adjustments ever even with an important feeling look on your face and it does not matter.

you can be replaced by a mix CD so accept it and handle your business, not everyone else's (it doesn't matter what you think, it's what the owner thinks)!

Caring for your crowd and the venue that you are representing is very important. Protecting the intergrity title "DJ" is also important. Everyone wants to be a DJ.. but a Real DJ knows his crowd, his people and his music and no MTV watching junkie can do that overnight with the experience of a real DJ.

You should care about how people come into your venue and how well ur transistions are.. When the numbers are low or the people aren't dancing or your transitions suck, you are the DJ.. you are on center stage, you are the one who will get blamed for it.. You are the face of the event. (Promoter is in the background making sure things are ok, you are in the foreground)

I take pride in the people that come in and the time and effort i put into my sessions. And you shouldn't let anyone else (including partons, wannabe dj's and even club owners) tell you that you are not worth the money.

-Paradoxx.
www.djparadoxx.com
DJ Silk 3:11 PM - 12 June, 2007
cappinkirk....
You don't understand that power of the DJ. The whole point of this thread is to highlight the fact that the DJ is THE most integral part of a club or party.

The numbers:
Let's say the clubs capacity is 300 people.
Admission is $10 a head and the club reaches capacity.
The club has brought in $3000 just from the door.
That doesn't include parking (if they charge for it), coat check and the bar. Keep in mind that if the bar charges you $6 for a drink...it only cost them $2 to make it...and probably less then that.

So...for anyone to come in and play for free....or for $100 is silly.
Would people pay a $10 cover charge if there was just a mix CD playing? 9 times out of 10 the answer is NO

A dj playing for free or for almost free is ridiculous when the club or promoter is relying on him to get people into the building (cover charge), buying drinks, and wanting to come back.
A worker's compensation is supposed to be directly based on the revenue that they generate. Receiving $100 at the end of the night when the door has brought in $3000 means that the DJ has been given a revenue generating value of 3%.

As much of scam as you think spinning records is...at the end of the day you know full well that a DJ is worth more then 3% of the revenue generated at the club.

Movies stars get to run around and play make believe....does that mean that they should work for nothing...or next to nothing when the movie companies are seeing hundreds of millions off of projects?

Basketball and football players get to run and and play all the time...does that mean that they should basically play for free despite the fact that the leagues generate hundreds of millions of dollars every year?

You see a scam when you look at DJ's obviously...but what I see are people that are key factors in the sales of music, alcohol, clothing (because you got to look good in the club), valet services (because parking is tight around the clubs), condoms (for all the sex that goes on after a hard night of partying at the club), food (because you have to eat after dancing and fucking at the breakfast spot), Hair Stylist, websites that cater to nightlife, MP3 players....and the list goes on.
The DJ powers all of this stuff in a major way.

SO WHY DA FUCK WOULD ANYONE PLAY FOR FREE, OR NEXT TO FREE!!!!!

Learn, understand, and enforce your worth DJs.

Just because you're not Funk Flex, Jazzy Jeff, or any other big name DJ doesn't mean that your impact is any less at the end of the day.
cappinkirk 3:17 PM - 12 June, 2007
first of all a dj union will never fly. there would have to be regulation (no dj's will ever agree on a process/model), dues (most DJ's are too broke!), meetings (DJ's never have time for extra meetings), and honesty!!! there's no corruption in the DJ biz, right? You guys all report your income i'm sure.

Bigforty4 thank you for wisecracking my comment. yes i know what a union is. the hoffa reference was a joke i did not mean to offend you. I know that there are DJ's that use synths & obviously I'm not talking about them!

also you refer to big time dj's as "them", shouldn't you be saying "we"?
DJ Irv 3:19 PM - 12 June, 2007
HA HA HA. I see this in New York all of the time! Someone will ask me to do primetime (12-2am)so they can pay me less and have newbie do the first 2 and last 2 hrs for free. The funny thing is that when I dj the whole night they make a lot more money at the bar. I tend to rock the crowd until 4am. We turn on the lights on them so the scatter like roaches at 4am! I once let a newbie on during my set because i needed to holler at some girl and after his first scratch and transition I knew I needed to remove him from the tables. Sad but true.

My advice to newbies is go to clubs and study the greats, practice at home, make good sets and charge money for your services. Don't be a promoters whore and don't cut your fellow DJ's out of money for something as selfish as exposure.
cappinkirk 3:20 PM - 12 June, 2007
also i don't play for free i have been djing for over 12 years. you guys can save your breath on me. i see a scam because i know how easy (it's actually fun) djing is!
DJ Irv 3:21 PM - 12 June, 2007
But I do DJ for free if it involves charity, Katrina, The 2004 Tsunami, Cancer & etc. It feels good to give back.
DJ Autograph 3:22 PM - 12 June, 2007
Well Said Silk....

cappinkirk...

Any REAL DJ would never say that the DJ could be replaced by a mixed CD. Come on now. how long have you been a DJ? Do you even understand what it is you bring to an event? Clearly not from the statments you have made in this post. CD's can't feel the vibe of the crowd, CD's can't bring the energy to the party the way we do now can they? I KNOW I can't be replaced by a CD. You obviously think you can which means you have no confidence in what you do (or you have no skill whatsoever so you djing would be equavilent to using a CD)

irreverence I tell you.....
cappinkirk 3:22 PM - 12 June, 2007
define real dj
Bigfourty4 3:23 PM - 12 June, 2007
certain dj's definately report their income....other's do not. All it takes is an audit by the IRS.

I wasn't offended by the hoffa----nothing really offends me these days unless i am getting cheating on.

On point about the synths...I consider a big time dj as someone who is flown to venues/has multiple residences outside of their home town. I see what you mean.

I went to IU bloomington---Been to Nap town tons of times---Respect dude
Bigfourty4 3:23 PM - 12 June, 2007
i love devils advocate
cappinkirk 3:23 PM - 12 June, 2007
also i like playing the devils advocate
cappinkirk 3:26 PM - 12 June, 2007
word! here's to never being cheated on
Bigfourty4 3:27 PM - 12 June, 2007
yea---been cheated on one...and I can safely say that i will never cheat on anyone after going thru it.....it is like seeing the other side of the mirror...ya feel?
DJ Autograph 3:28 PM - 12 June, 2007
Oh yea,

And as for the union thing it has been done. In Jamaica there is a Sound Systems Association of Jamaica that 85% of "Big Sounds" are apart of that union.
cappinkirk 3:28 PM - 12 June, 2007
i know what you're saying bro

same
cappinkirk 3:28 PM - 12 June, 2007
yeah they have legal chronic there too i don't think that's gonna make it over here either
DJ Autograph 3:30 PM - 12 June, 2007
Legal what?

Clearly you are not serious....
cappinkirk 3:31 PM - 12 June, 2007
let me know when your DJ union starts up bro
Bigfourty4 3:32 PM - 12 June, 2007
Quote:
yeah they have legal chronic there too i don't think that's gonna make it over here either

haha---them beasters out in Indi are so clownin
cappinkirk 3:34 PM - 12 June, 2007
yes sir!
cappinkirk 3:34 PM - 12 June, 2007
let me know if you make it back through bigfourty4 an i'll show u!
Bigfourty4 3:34 PM - 12 June, 2007
every year---huge influx when school starts----then you go thru a major drought
cappinkirk 3:35 PM - 12 June, 2007
i got drought protection in effect all year
Bigfourty4 3:36 PM - 12 June, 2007
Haha---my boy lives on meridian---he goes to BUtler.....

I graduated from IU..last december...I was there in may for graudation----played at Kilroys sports for free----only because my friend was djing there---he was graduating...5 minutes of covering him turned into an hour-----i didn't care about the money---people had to hear some dope shit for a change
Bigfourty4 3:36 PM - 12 June, 2007
Its all about my neck my back---> my dick my sack(male version)
cappinkirk 3:38 PM - 12 June, 2007
hahahaha classic naptown styleeee
De LA 3:38 PM - 12 June, 2007
Quote:
let me know when your DJ union starts up bro

Union might seem like a good idea..but what are you gonna do when you have say a 200 strong dj union in your city and none of the clubs want to agree to your terms, so they just go hire all the non union guys?
You dont just start a union to get work and keep pay consistent. There are thousands of other factors that come into making one work.
As far as other "skilled Labor" Djing isn't in the same category. The reason pipe fitters and brick layers are all recognized union is because they build society. They make cities work and run(for the most part lol) There will always be construction 365 days a year 24 hours a day.
As cool as it seems to have a dj union in the states...I think they best youll get is a few membership groups like Adja.org
DJ Autograph 3:40 PM - 12 June, 2007
Never said it would work here. On the contrary I KNOW it won't work here because of the nature of the beast. Most aren't smart enough to know that if we all stick together at the end of the day it will be better for us over all.

On a side note you do know its not leagal right. This is one of my pet peves. People who think that is all about the beach and weed.....
Bigfourty4 3:42 PM - 12 June, 2007
if not a union---i at least need management.

haha
Nicky Blunt 3:50 PM - 12 June, 2007
Anyone kow where I can get a decent booking agent in the UK??
Nicky Blunt 3:50 PM - 12 June, 2007
sorry Know! & I stress decent!
cappinkirk 3:51 PM - 12 June, 2007
wait u mean that chronic is not legal in Jamaica? would you classify it as criminal like it is here in the US
Nicky Blunt 3:54 PM - 12 June, 2007
no chronic isnt legal in J/A However its been decriminalised like in Amsterdam (Its not legal there either).

Check it out for yourself if you dont belive me
bmac6996 3:59 PM - 12 June, 2007
an acutal DJ Union?

Hmm that means that all DJs are legit?

Nah.. we are not legit.. from the 1 song we didnt' by from itunes or making a mix cd and selling it on the street.

We dont' have the laws like they do in Europe where Clubs have to pay a fee to there Music assiciation there that allows them to play live music from different artist and dj's are protected from copy right. Here in americca, we DJs are not protected from copy right laws.. no one is it mention that disc jockeys have free reign to play and make mix cds without paying some kind of royalty.

Anyways.. get paid for dj'ing! We make or break a party! and we are the face that everyone sees.

-Paradoxx.
DJ Autograph 3:59 PM - 12 June, 2007
You are both wrong. Very illegal. Just like it is here. Coppers burn Ganga fields like its their job. Definately not legal. Easy to obtain though. I remember Beenie man got arrested a couple years back cause they cought him with a $100 bag....
Nicky Blunt 4:03 PM - 12 June, 2007
damn!

I was gettin shit in kingston market from mans selling from black sack binliners!!!!!!!

crazy I Just assumed it was like amsterdam appologies for the mis info!
DJ Autograph 4:10 PM - 12 June, 2007
Most people have that misconception (Tunes like Come around don't help). Again easy to come by but highly illegal.
cappinkirk 4:12 PM - 12 June, 2007
makes for good discussion!
Nicky Blunt 4:13 PM - 12 June, 2007
i had a wicked time there! I really wanna go back.
Was so funny going into record shops & seeing the look on the vendors face when im askin for all the most upfront underground bashment!

They all like whaaaaa?

Yes white bwoy!!!!!!!!!
Very funny!
I was there 3 weeks & by the 3rd week was commonly known as english by all the vendors! Good job! Also if anyone else is going to kingston make sure to

A) Check out the market
B) Go to Bob Marleys House (Both of them) Its a wicked experience!
DJ Autograph 4:24 PM - 12 June, 2007
Did you go to Aquarius in Half way Tree? That used to be the record shop back in the day. They will definately respect you if you are down with the music. Did you go to any sessions (parties) when you were there?