Software help archive

A read-only archive of old serato.com help threads.

Crates Not Showing Up in External Drive

Product
Scratch Live
Version
Hardware
Rane SL3
Computer
PC
OS
Platform
-
JCRUZ 6:00 PM - 9 February, 2011
Product: scratchlive
Version: 2.2
Hardware: scratchlive-sl3
Computer: pc
OS Version: vista64
---

Hello,

I just transfered all my music to the external drive and did all the steps in order to get it working. I transfered music, created a "_Serato_" folder and copied and pasted all contents of the internal "_Serato_" folder into the external, then change the internal "_Serato_" to a "SeratoBack" to trick Scratch Live. I opened my Scratch Live 2.2 and don't have no Crates and Smart Crates, my heart is in my stomach.....way too much work to redo HELP ME PLEASE...
Rane, Support
Shaun W 6:11 PM - 9 February, 2011
You must have more than one _Serato_ folder on your external drive. Scratch Live reads the _Serato_ folder from the root of the drive, so if you copied the folder to your external and it's inside another folder, SSL will not read from it.
JCRUZ 6:22 PM - 9 February, 2011
I check and the drive only has one _Serato_ folder, the path goes: D: > _Serato_
Rane, Support
Shaun W 6:41 PM - 9 February, 2011
Open the folder and check the Subcrates folder, are all your .crate files inside it?
JCRUZ 6:54 PM - 9 February, 2011
yes they are all in there, even the SCRATE files are present in the Smartcrate folder......
Rane, Support
Shaun W 6:58 PM - 9 February, 2011
Try this:

Make a new crate in SSL and name it TEST

Grab a track from your external drive and drop it into the TEST crate

Close SSL

Open your external drive and look for a different _Serato_ folder with a TEST crate inside the Subcrates folder.

After you locate the _Serato_ folder SSL is reading and writing to, copy the Subcrates folder with all your goodies in it and paste it into the other _Serato_ folder.
JCRUZ 7:13 PM - 9 February, 2011
Ok check this out, I moved the crates to the external drive and it poped up. For the smart crates, you know the folder that scratch live created after I renamed the original serato folder to back up. I put my smart crate folder in there and it all showed up on ssl does that mean that ssl is still linked to the internal. Cause when I put the scrate in the external it does not show up but the regular crates do..... is there a solution to that or is that how ssl works?
Rane, Support
Shaun W 7:18 PM - 9 February, 2011
I think you're confusing the Smartcrates folder and the Subcrates folder. All your crate files (regular crates and subcrates) are read from the Subcrates folder, so this is the folder that you should focus on (not the Smartcrates or Crates folder).
JCRUZ 7:26 PM - 9 February, 2011
ok I have a total of three regular crates that go in the subcrate folder, those all showed up in ssl. All my other crates are smart crates and those are not showing up in ssl.
Rane, Support
Shaun W 7:32 PM - 9 February, 2011
Ah, if I recall correctly, Smartcrates will not work on an external hard drive, unfortunately.

Move the Smartcrates back to the internal drive and see if SSL can relocate the pink files within the Smartcrates so that it's reading your moved music off of your external.
JCRUZ 7:38 PM - 9 February, 2011
that sucks man........ ummmmm put that on the to do list...... so what if I make a new smart crate from ssl will it group it like normal withe the external attached?
Rane, Support
Shaun W 8:06 PM - 9 February, 2011
Quote:
that sucks man........ ummmmm put that on the to do list......

Yeah, sorry about that.

Quote:
so what if I make a new smart crate from ssl will it group it like normal withe the external attached?

Yes, tracks from the external will display in the Smartcrates while the external is connected and get "removed" when the external is disconnected.
JCRUZ 8:10 PM - 9 February, 2011
man if you told me that 12 messages ago I would of left you alone thats all I was freakin out on I just didn't want to have to reset all my smart crates again.....
Thanks For all your help.....