DJing Discussion

This area is for discussion about DJing in general. Please remember the community rules when posting and try to be polite and inclusive.

MK2's or MK5's

smoothe 4:55 AM - 8 June, 2007
So, I can't decide on the 1200's MK2 or MK5's, wich one do you guys think I should get?
Thanks!
Jay-R 4:55 AM - 8 June, 2007
depends on you price range...
DJ K-otik 6:34 AM - 8 June, 2007
MK5s or MK5Gs? There's a difference. Personally, if I was going to replace my MK2s, I'd have to go with MK5Gs (or MK4s if I could ever find them). I've never noticed the "improved" tonearms on the newer Techs, so that wouldn't be enough for me to make the switch. Plus, I don't like the pitch reset feature - probably because, for some reason, I prefer the center-click on the pitch control. In the end though, Jay-R is right. Price is probably be the most determinative factor.
dj disturbed 2:26 PM - 8 June, 2007
I noticed the diff in tone arm myself between the mk2 and the m5g's. The good thing about not having the click is that the pitch control registers movements better near the 0 point where on my old mk2's it would not register movements around the click area
smoothe 2:45 PM - 8 June, 2007
But, wich one is the standard?
cappinkirk 3:18 PM - 8 June, 2007
mk2 is the standard mk5 is their premium model (hence the cost).
wakka 3:29 PM - 8 June, 2007
Don't get it because it's the industry standard, get a turntable that suits you.

When it comes to Techs, if you mix over +/- 8 or scratch with a heavy hand, get the MK5G. If you don't need the above, get the earlier Techs for the money.
smoothe 4:02 PM - 8 June, 2007
I am gonna get the mk2's, if I can find some on ebay.
dj cubicle 4:03 PM - 8 June, 2007
Quote:
Don't get it because it's the industry standard, get a turntable that suits you.

When it comes to Techs, if you mix over +/- 8 or scratch with a heavy hand, get the MK5G. If you don't need the above, get the earlier Techs for the money.

Just bump the MK2s up to 14%. ;-)
Jay-R 4:37 PM - 8 June, 2007
if you can't mix with the OG MK2's( good condition), then you have problems. M5G's are not going to make you scratch, mix, or cut better. they do look awesome.

if it was my choice, i would get the black MK3's for cheap.
DJ_CARY 6:10 PM - 8 June, 2007
If you have MO MONEY....Check this out!!!

Special Order Technics SL1210 M5G from Gary Stewart!!@!

www.gsany.com

Tonearm alone is steep www.needledoctor.com

If i have the money for it...i'll Buy IT!
Panic City 6:16 PM - 8 June, 2007
Sorry to hijack but

I'm thinking bout selling my CDJ's for some TT's. So I am in the same boat.

I dont know though, what do you think the verdict it on that? CDJ's just seem like a lot less maintenance. lighter, no extra stuff to buy, adjust, calibrate, etc. Also the CDJ's work awesome with SSL, but I guess nothing beats the feeling of spinning with vinyl. It's such a pussy magnet.
smoothe 8:51 PM - 8 June, 2007
Ok, maybe I am craaaaaaaaaaaaaazaaaaazzzy, but aren't the MK2's discontenued?
Someone school me.
cappinkirk 8:51 PM - 8 June, 2007
u aren't probably crazy and they definitely aren't discntinued
AlexRage 9:04 PM - 8 June, 2007
i'm always torn on this...i love having no center click, but i always forget to turn off quartz lock if i ever use it.
cappinkirk 9:12 PM - 8 June, 2007
center click is tight
AlexRage 9:18 PM - 8 June, 2007
Quote:
center click is tight

lol, for some reason i freak out if i'm blending and i get stuck on the center click...like someone said before, i feel like there is no accuracy around it.
smoothe 9:19 PM - 8 June, 2007
Already then, *goes to look for some online used*
*goes back and forth between that and scratch live lol*
dj_blueprint 9:37 PM - 8 June, 2007
just remember, 9/10 clubs still haven't upgraded to mk5's around here unless you're going to the high end clubs..

mk2 1210's ftw

once you go black you don't go black.
smoothe 1:11 AM - 9 June, 2007
Na, no 1210s for me, mk2 1200s homey!!! Soon, anyways lol.
dj disturbed 2:04 AM - 9 June, 2007
Quote:
Ok, maybe I am craaaaaaaaaaaaaazaaaaazzzy, but aren't the MK2's discontenued?
Someone school me.

no the mk2's are still in production as are the m5g's... Its the mk5's that are discontinued
DJ Dub Cowboy 2:36 AM - 9 June, 2007
^^^^yup

as with the M3Ds, and MK4s (I remember Pro Sound having those soooo long ago)

78RPM on the MK4 and pitch reset

I thought it was weird that Technics already discontinued the MK5s, I thought they wuld have finally buried the MK2s

..so does this mean if you want black 1200s you have to get the MK5Gs, which are not the same black as 1210s?
albuddah 10:04 AM - 9 June, 2007
nah. the mk5's are still in production. only the m3d's got taken out. the 1210 mk2's have the european power adaptor - the black mk2 in america is still called a 1200, but with some shit added on the end that's different. for the m3d's, mk5's, the black models are 1210's. and if you don't like the click, you can get rid of it.

Watchwww.youtube.com
dj disturbed 3:55 PM - 9 June, 2007
Quote:
nah. the mk5's are still in production. only the m3d's got taken out. the 1210 mk2's have the european power adaptor - the black mk2 in america is still called a 1200, but with some shit added on the end that's different. for the m3d's, mk5's, the black models are 1210's. and if you don't like the click, you can get rid of it.

Watchwww.youtube.com

wrong the mk5's are discontiuned.. the m5g's are still in produtions.... www.skratchworx.com
DJ Dub Cowboy 2:32 AM - 11 June, 2007
www.turntabletech.com

Pictures!!!!