DJing Discussion

This area is for discussion about DJing in general. Please remember the community rules when posting and try to be polite and inclusive.

Alot of DJ's have alot to learn

Audio1 4:29 PM - 4 June, 2007
I bring this topic up because we regularly see threads of people wanting to know, what are the top 10 tracks out right now? We are only bombarded by mainstream society on a daily basis, Does that question need to be asked? As a DJ, Isnt it your responsibility to know whats hot and whats not, whether you play it or not? Shit, I know every 16 year old girl loves the new Avril Lavigne song even tho its quite annoying to anyone with any sense of taste...

Point is: If we are DJ's and It's our job to make crowds move to a mix of whats popular and what we personally enjoy, Do we really need to ask for peoples advise on what is hot?

If your in doubt, Check you local jocks playlist, Watch TV, Listen to the radio, ask your fucking audience.

Thats all.
DJ-A 4:39 PM - 4 June, 2007
maybe something is popular on the east coast that hasnt caught on out west yet... i would have thought asking on here was a good starting point to "do our job" and "stay on top of things"

I am always checking diff places online, but to hear other DJ's honest opinions saves me a lot of time.

How often are you DJ-ing for 16 year old girls? i dont have the recent experiance but i could have guessed that song
Audio1 4:41 PM - 4 June, 2007
Im just saying in relation to your own area. Asking questions like if "Bartender" will blow up or not, is just silly in my opinion.
Audio1 4:41 PM - 4 June, 2007
I do understand where ya come from on the whole east coast/west coast thing. Not everyone likes Hyphy!
Audio1 4:43 PM - 4 June, 2007
What Im trying to say is, a Smart DJ may ask questions but some shit is just a given, and too much of the given stuff is what people inqure about the most. Like music isnt dumbed down enough, Maybe the effects of the dumbing down are affecting the way people in general process information.
DJ Autograph 4:44 PM - 4 June, 2007
I agree with Audio1.

Radio Stations post playlist of the songs that are in heavy rotation so in terms of different markets there is your answer. Billboard is also another resource I rely on. Most importantly GO OUT for crying out loud!!! No better way to hear/see what is going on. You also have to remember we are tastemakers as well so you can't rely TOO heavily on that stuff.
Audio1 4:46 PM - 4 June, 2007
^^ Thank you. Someone who understands.
Audio1 4:47 PM - 4 June, 2007
and yes, Just cuz We DJ dont mean we cant go out, Check out our competition, or just go out and see whats hot and whats not. Even better, Go out of town, See what others do in other areas. Here in the bay, We got spots in SF, Oak, SJ... SOmetimes its fun to hit LA, Vegas or even Sac, just cuz there are obvious differences in how people DJ but also what music they select.
DJ-A 5:01 PM - 4 June, 2007
where i live it sucks... not many DJ's dont have skills that keeo my interest. thats one reason that i love it when there are videos like the one Enferno posted.
Big K 5:06 PM - 4 June, 2007
I dont see the problem if someonents a TOP 10 give it to them. It may seem strange but every sixteen year old dont like Avril Lavigne. Here in my little circlet the three top hits for the sixteen year olds would be Party like a rock star (ugh) and Dude & Dem Watch My feet. The girls are all going crazy over that Lipgloss song. If I played Avril Id get shot. I feel you though in the end Its up to us to find out whats hot. But why not find out from each other.
Audio1 5:12 PM - 4 June, 2007
I understand what your saying. My point is, Your a DJ at club, Your the hot shot, right? You didnt get your residency cuz you got the skratching skills of QBERT and the mashup stylings of DJ AM. Something in the way you select your records (I would hope).... If your a DJ, You should know whats hot and whats not. I do agree on Lip gloss, then again, As underground hiphop fan as I am, I have a soft spot for lip gloss, and I admit it!
DJ-A 5:18 PM - 4 June, 2007
Quote:
I understand what your saying. My point is, Your a DJ at club, Your the hot shot, right? You didnt get your residency cuz you got the skratching skills of QBERT and the mashup stylings of DJ AM. Something in the way you select your records (I would hope).... If your a DJ, You should know whats hot and whats not. I do agree on Lip gloss, then again, As underground hiphop fan as I am, I have a soft spot for lip gloss, and I admit it!

but... if someone says that they played this new song by ___ called ____ and the crowd ______. then i may play that song sooner and see how my crowd reacts. i cant do 5 gigs a day to test out everything i want.

i see where you're coming from, but at the same time i see some good in asking for others opinions.
Audio1 5:20 PM - 4 June, 2007
Ya I guess it dont hurt. Its all trial and error, even for me at every gig, when testing new stuff out. You got to feel your crowd out. If you know em, Youll know what they will and wont like, tho that can always change quickly.
Audio1 5:33 PM - 4 June, 2007
DJ-A,

I like your response in the VAPORS/SERATO thread

Quote:
heres my 2 cents... hip hop artists may be making millions, and i may not like all of the new stuff... but if i can pick out my favs of whats new, it will rock a party better than if i take requests fom people who want the new stuff.

my point... theres a general sound that all of us "professional" dj's can pull out, and thats what i think is missing.

thats where the saying comes from "feelin it"
DJ Autograph 5:52 PM - 4 June, 2007
Quote:
Ya I guess it dont hurt. Its all trial and error, even for me at every gig, when testing new stuff out. You got to feel your crowd out. If you know em, Youll know what they will and wont like, tho that can always change quickly.

True. But after a while you develop " the ear" that enables you to pick a hit from a dud. I will admit there are exceptions, but for the most part, hits are pretty easy to pic these days.

I think another factor is how often you DJ. Somebody who is in the club at least 2 nights a week, steady gig, really has no business asking for playlists and heaters in my opinion. You should be trying ish out on your regluars. Experience is a big factor as well.
Audio1 5:53 PM - 4 June, 2007
^^ agreed.
albuddah 6:58 PM - 4 June, 2007
i gotta agree wit audio. i just started out last fall, and at first, i was scanning all the dj threads for these 'what's on your playlist' topics, but after a while, i was just like, 'fuck it. i'll try out what i think might be hot and if it don't work, i'll just switch out quick'.

but what happened to breaking in records? there's no reason for a dj to be late about a top 10 hit. even if you're poor, there's digiwaxx, and at the worst, they will get you the joint on time.
DJ Autograph 7:18 PM - 4 June, 2007
Quote:
i gotta agree wit audio. i just started out last fall, and at first, i was scanning all the dj threads for these 'what's on your playlist' topics, but after a while, i was just like, 'fuck it. i'll try out what i think might be hot and if it don't work, i'll just switch out quick'.

but what happened to breaking in records? there's no reason for a dj to be late about a top 10 hit. even if you're poor, there's digiwaxx, and at the worst, they will get you the joint on time.

Yup. Djs have made their name on breaking records. Most notably Flex.
DjWoody 7:18 PM - 4 June, 2007
Another reason why people ask is because they don't play that particular format. For instance, when I asked for current salsa hits, I had no clue what a hot salsa song was. I don't usually play salsa. It took me just a few sample songs, to be able to find more songs that would get everyone dancing.

Just like you guys, I also hit the charts. But quite honestly, I'm tired of the Top 40 hip hop. It bores me to death. What I really like is digging for those rare 80's spanish rock songs. Even if it's digital digging, it's still fun.
Audio1 7:24 PM - 4 June, 2007
Woody,

Try Mecano. HAHHA!
De LA 7:28 PM - 4 June, 2007
Ive been saying this since day one! Come here and ask about old house/hiphop and stuff that may have missed your age gap or regional area. But asking what is hot with the general public! If you really gotta ask to figure out which Justin timberlake song is hot....you aren't doing your job. And I realize that it differs by region too, but hell even iTunes has charts...that go back at least 5 years. You can pull top 50 downloaded tracks for almost every Genre on iTunes. Thats at least a starting point aside from every Kiss FM station in America.
DjWoody 7:44 PM - 4 June, 2007
hahaha iTunes charts are way off for what I play. I really like the iTunes Essentials... Those are really on point, at least the Spanish Rock is.
DjWoody 7:46 PM - 4 June, 2007
Oh one more thing, I also like the iTunes iMixes. Those are playlists submitted by the people. I found many songs that I forgot about in those iMixes.
cappinkirk 7:53 PM - 4 June, 2007
ummm...billboard.com anyone???
DJ Autograph 8:02 PM - 4 June, 2007
^^^
Mentioned in my initial post
dreamkast 1:39 AM - 5 June, 2007
its a forum you talk about stuff. Who cares if people are asking whats hot.