DJing Discussion

This area is for discussion about DJing in general. Please remember the community rules when posting and try to be polite and inclusive.

Power 106 Jumpoff Mix video

djcokee 5:53 AM - 29 January, 2011
Hey guys, just posted these Jump Off Mix vids on youtube and thought I'd share here!

Here's the first part: Watchwww.youtube.com

Part 2: Watchwww.youtube.com
Audio1 6:06 AM - 29 January, 2011
Wow. Amazing mixing.
SuckaDJ 7:39 AM - 29 January, 2011
WOW. Good shit man!
gotchuckz 9:20 AM - 29 January, 2011
nice. power should post up more mix videos. reflex, eric d-lux, e-man, etc.
DJ Chubby 12:21 PM - 29 January, 2011
What program is that on the pc monitor in the background? To play samples/drops? I'm trying to figure out if that is what Hot 97 uses now with the touch screen monitor.
DJSHARK 2:09 PM - 29 January, 2011
Very nice .Thanks
DjLouSince82 5:29 PM - 29 January, 2011
Great Skills Coke E..thats why your in Radio Bro... Good Work!
DJ Remy USA 7:46 PM - 29 January, 2011
you can play curse words on the radio now? Nice mix
jevo9 8:42 PM - 29 January, 2011
Your pretty dope bro!!! Thanks for sharing
Audio1 10:04 PM - 29 January, 2011
Quote:
you can play curse words on the radio now? Nice mix
I am unsure if he is LIVE on air or this is a session he pre-recorded for play later. I know some DJ's record live sets with curses, then clean up/reverse the curses before they put the file for play later that day.
djsatony 11:37 PM - 29 January, 2011
wow flawless!
DJ Tecniq 11:56 PM - 29 January, 2011
a good example of why u should build overviews ^
DJ Remy USA 12:00 AM - 30 January, 2011
yea I like the way he used the drop to first cue point feature to switch in out of songs on tempo. I never used it that way before so that was dope in that respect.
DJ Tecniq 12:16 AM - 30 January, 2011
Quote:
yea I like the way he used the drop to first cue point feature to switch in out of songs on tempo. I never used it that way before so that was dope in that respect.
all of his songs were uptempo & in the same bpm range but no disrespect this is a dude who has studied serato to it's full capability. It was impressive this would of been much more timely w/o the 57. Now I'm debating whether I should get a 57 or the SL3. With the 57 your sets can be this dope. You can tell he's learned the in's & out's of the mixer & serato software and alot of planning went into his set. Respect!
mata22 12:52 AM - 30 January, 2011
wow amazing!!
DJ Remy USA 1:22 AM - 30 January, 2011
Quote:
Quote:

all of his songs were uptempo & in the same bpm range but no disrespect this is a dude who has studied serato to it's full capability. It was impressive this would of been much more timely w/o the 57. Now I'm debating whether I should get a 57 or the SL3. With the 57 your sets can be this dope. You can tell he's learned the in's & out's of the mixer & serato software and alot of planning went into his set. Respect!

he didnt even use the 57 features he used all the keyboard shortcuts I studied this video in detail. He only touched the 57 to scratch and to move the channel faders. If he would have used the 57 he could have saved himself sometime. Watch the video again he used keyboad shortcuts to jump back and forth between tracks he used the shortcuts for autolooping as well. Very dope set I took notes and went and practiced a very similar style of playing. Just have start at first cue point then set your cue points on the first down beat. Then press shift in conjunction with the arrow key on tempo with the song to get the desired effect.

Very dope and effective set with great creativity and minimal work on the TTS. You basically pull of this set in internal minus the scratching
Audio1 1:35 AM - 30 January, 2011
He could have easily done the entire set without a 57, since he did everything on the laptop keys.
DJ Tecniq 3:33 AM - 30 January, 2011
Quote:
He could have easily done the entire set without a 57, since he did everything on the laptop keys.
my bad your right his set prob woulda been much easier with the 57 since all the shortcut keys are built right into the mixer.
Mike_P 3:51 AM - 30 January, 2011
dope! how did you get rid of the dreaded 1/2 second delay when loading a track? i know steve d was having this problem and posted about it but i can't find the thread to see if it was ever resolved.
Mike_P 3:58 AM - 30 January, 2011
wait that was spinbad. why the fuck was i thinkin steve d. lol
DJ Tecniq 4:42 AM - 30 January, 2011
yeh i really do hate how there's a delay when loading a track even on a mbp. would be nice if it was just instant. Also some of the tracks he was playing in this video still didn't have overviews built as you can see the track still building up. it would be hella dope if there was no delay when loading a track like the offline player. You could create some dope quick mixing sets.
DJ Remy USA 4:46 AM - 30 January, 2011
To get rid of the delay the file has to cached first. So load the track (cue it up) then load it again with the shortcut keys. I just practiced a similar set cause the video inspired and it works just fine for me almost instant. A few tracks came in off beat. Ima do a video once I get the set down good then I will post it up. This is def a good way to expand your sets and give you a edge. Dont forget to do your own edits that will def set you apart
tekamafo 6:21 PM - 30 January, 2011
SICKNESS - i have never seen anyone use the Undo as a technique to drop a sample, so dope
geeunot 7:43 PM - 30 January, 2011
dope stuff...so to get rid of the delay, u gotta load and reload the track?
Deception 7:48 PM - 30 January, 2011
fresh! dope routine like the live re-work on the sexy b!t$#
babooza69 8:28 PM - 30 January, 2011
why do the waveforms seem to move so slowly...
Anu 9:00 PM - 30 January, 2011
Quote:

zoom out on waveform....
Jcx 9:04 PM - 30 January, 2011
Quote:
DJ Tecniq 5:21 AM - 31 January, 2011
Quote:
Quote:

zoom out on waveform....
yeh i really don't see how dj's can go one notch higher..that totally fucks with my eyes and fucks up my flow. the way he has his set is just how i like it :) this way if im scratching i can concentrate more on where that part is coming up.
djkermit 7:44 AM - 31 January, 2011
When I heard this on Power 106 I was like dam who is this? ..... Dude is throwing down!! Then I heard Cokee's drop which makes me crack up every time I hear it. Props loved the set.
djmarvel 4:04 PM - 31 January, 2011
i cant drop like that live, there is a slight delay whenever ive tried years ago so i never tried it since
DJ Remy USA 4:45 PM - 31 January, 2011
load the song that you want to drop in like that in the sampler first so scratchlive can cache the file then shift and arrow to the deck you want to drop to. I have been practicing sets like this now posting a video soon. It works people there is even a shortcut to load to the sampler which I think he is doing first then loading to the deck that he wants to drop to.
DJ Remy USA 4:47 PM - 31 January, 2011
as for the auto loop out he's doing you can use alt G for the right deck and alt T for the left deck you gotta time it right or it will autoloop on the wrong part. 57 owners can set the auto loop on of there group buttons to get the desired effect then use the 57 shortcut to drop on beat. Remember to have play from first cue point checked.
DJ Remy USA 4:47 PM - 31 January, 2011
and for the scratching you gotta practice that there is no shortcut to auto scratch
StylesD 10:17 PM - 31 January, 2011
Cokee is a beast...one of the best guys on LA radio
Steve Dub. 2:44 AM - 1 February, 2011
Bump! Coke-E is still one of the best in LA. And super humble and nice dude!
AT^ 2:56 AM - 1 February, 2011
Love it, thanks for sharing!
DJ Benny B NYC 3:07 AM - 1 February, 2011
Quote:
Bump! Coke
DJ Benny B NYC 3:09 AM - 1 February, 2011
who wants to explain to me exactly how he did that shit at 6:20?

he was triggering different cuepoints in the acapella, and then when he got to one he hit the autoloop for 1 beat?
DJ Remy USA 3:13 AM - 1 February, 2011
Quote:

he was triggering different cuepoints in the acapella, and then when he got to one he hit the autoloop for 1 beat?

not sure someone wanna chime in does anyone know coke-e that could ask him to share.
geeunot 9:17 AM - 1 February, 2011
Quote:

did he just use the auto loops and just switched back from the 1/8t and 1/16th loop or something? u can see him using his keyboard...i think he'd really like the dicers.
eder 12:36 AM - 3 February, 2011
he's just triggering different lengths on the auto loops.
DJ Young Herrera 4:51 AM - 3 February, 2011
Dope set for real.
bentobox 6:46 AM - 3 February, 2011
Killing it, like always.

Nice work Coke-e!
AKIEM 7:48 AM - 3 February, 2011
NICE - I especially like that command+z action
DJ.ReFRESH 5:06 PM - 3 February, 2011
Quote:
Cokee is a beast...one of the best guys on LA radio

Co-sign. With guys like Melo-D and Choc no longer on the radio, I'm glad he's still on
DeezNotes 5:51 PM - 3 February, 2011
Quote:

It's not that difficult with practice.

There's a cue point at "Watch me" and "Shake it." At 6:20, he just triggered the "Shake it" cue and then activated the auto loop on the next phrase "cross the dance floor" moving between 3 different auto loops.. maybe 1/4, 1/16, 1/8, 1/4, 1/8, 1/16, 1/8, 1/4, etc. (just a guess)

As for dropping tracks with no delay, there's no load to sampler to get rid of the delay. You just drop the fader, load the track then simultaneously open the fader and press your cue point at the same time. You gotta be fast.
DeezNotes 5:52 PM - 3 February, 2011
Oh yeah. Mad props! It's always good to see REAL DJs represent!
DJ Remy USA 6:04 PM - 3 February, 2011
To comment on sees notes post. No there is no load to sampler short cut. But loading to th sampler will get rid of the delay if you want that instant drop in without dropping the fader. Ima do a vid tonight showing everyone what I mean.
Djaward 6:05 PM - 3 February, 2011
Whats up COKEE..
Djaward 6:07 PM - 3 February, 2011
For those who dont know, dj Cokee is a beast. Ive known him for a few years, and I still get amazed every time I see him perform live (NH). Keep up the good work COKEE.
DeezNotes 6:17 PM - 3 February, 2011
Quote:
To comment on sees notes post. No there is no load to sampler short cut. But loading to th sampler will get rid of the delay if you want that instant drop in without dropping the fader. Ima do a vid tonight showing everyone what I mean.

I guess I should have been more clear. Loading to the sampler is one way to do it, but that's not how it was done in these videos. Alternatively, you could also load these tracks to other decks not in use if you're using an SL3, SL4 or 68. There is a shortcut for that.
DJ Remy USA 6:40 PM - 3 February, 2011
Quote:
Quote:

I guess I should have been more clear. Loading to the sampler is one way to do it, but that's not how it was done in these videos. Alternatively, you could also load these tracks to other decks not in use if you're using an SL3, SL4 or 68. There is a shortcut for that.

very tru Im using a 57 now but I like that idea. I been working a lil routine using that style. Posting it tonight eventhough its not perfect you guys will get the idea.
bandoma 6:57 PM - 3 February, 2011
shout out to coke-e! i remember him and rawn from the import showoff battle days in the 90's. glad he's still killin it!
D-Twizzle 3:56 AM - 4 February, 2011
very impressive!!! if i didn't see the live video, i would have thought it was multi-tracked or possibly 3 decks with the way the tracks were loading so quick.
any links to downloadable mixes? i didn't see anything on beezo.
gotchuckz 7:10 AM - 4 February, 2011
Download the full mix for your iPod:
www.djcity.com
geeunot 7:31 AM - 4 February, 2011
looks like the way he does it w/ the fast loading, he sets it so that the tracks DO NOT load at the first cue point, that way u can press the cue button himself so its on beat, if u have it so that it loads to 1st cue point, it would be off w/ the delay, am i right?
DeezNotes 2:03 PM - 4 February, 2011
Quote:
looks like the way he does it w/ the fast loading, he sets it so that the tracks DO NOT load at the first cue point, that way u can press the cue button himself so its on beat, if u have it so that it loads to 1st cue point, it would be off w/ the delay, am i right?

That would be close to impossible with some tracks. With so many tracks and the differences in start times you can't over think or over engineer these things. He just cuts the faded out when he initially loads the track.
aj5000 4:28 PM - 4 February, 2011
Hahaha I love his drop cookieeeee shit made me crack up
DJ_Mike_Coquilla 12:32 PM - 6 February, 2011
Quote:
Hey guys, just posted these Jump Off Mix vids on youtube and thought I'd share here!

nice!
Corex 6:37 AM - 8 February, 2011
this is insanity. if I wasn't watching this, I would definitely think this was multitracked. hell I don't even think I could make something of this caliber multitracked...
G-L0GIX 7:32 AM - 8 February, 2011
That was sick!
victor_M 1:54 PM - 8 February, 2011
Quote:

Nice!
Fuego!
SiRocket 9:59 AM - 1 September, 2011
C is a great DJ... thumbs up man!
Steve Dub. 7:25 PM - 1 September, 2011
Bump!
djpuma_gemini 8:44 PM - 1 September, 2011
dope shit coke-e

I never even saw this.

power mixers are dope and can't no other radio dj's come close.
Big ups to Eman for the mickey fickey mixes too, bump those every morning on the 20's
SiRocket 3:35 AM - 2 September, 2011
i wish our mixers on the west in LA slammed tracks like the cats in ny... lol #sarcasm
DJ Remy USA 11:06 AM - 2 September, 2011
yep this dude inspired me to get my uptempo game up. I studied this mix for months
DJ Val-BKNY11203 12:03 PM - 2 September, 2011
Nice work Cokee.