Serato Software Feature Suggestions

What features would you like to see in Serato software?

AAC support for SSL just got *much* more relevant

DJMark 2:03 PM - 30 May, 2007
The new iTunes version supporting DRM-free "iTunes Plus" files was just released:

playlistmag.com
nik39 4:47 PM - 30 May, 2007
Word.
wozza 2:27 PM - 31 May, 2007
Very worth while. Most people use iTunes so buying tracks from there and playing in Serato straight away would do the trick nicely.
CarbonDJ 2:59 PM - 31 May, 2007
I agree, it's time to see support for non-DRM AAC files.
senbad629 4:15 PM - 31 May, 2007
I agree as well... But, since they aren't protected converting them to mp3 will be a snap.
ekwipt 10:28 PM - 31 May, 2007
itunes = still crap quality
DJMark 1:34 AM - 1 June, 2007
Quote:
itunes = still crap quality

256kbps AAC is not "crap quality", provided the source material is not crap to begin with.

AAC at any given bitrate tends to sound about as good as MP3 encodings at the next highest bitrate, so 256k AAC by that logic should be comparable to 320k MP3. AAC is a much newer and more sophisticated coding technology than MP3.
cappinkirk 5:18 PM - 1 June, 2007
Thats a subjective measure (sounds about as good) of something with an objective value (256k, 320k) ...it really doesn't make much sense to compare things that way & you aren't going to sway anyones professional opinion without facts.

although itunes = still crap quality is still far less objective...
cappinkirk 5:18 PM - 1 June, 2007
how about this - why aac is better:

* More sample frequencies (from 8 kHz to 96 kHz) than MP3 (16 kHz to 48 kHz)
* Up to 48 channels (MP3 supports up to two channels in MPEG-1 mode and up to 5.1 channels in MPEG-2 mode)
* Arbitrary bitrates and variable frame length. Standardized constant bit rate with bit reservoir.
* Higher efficiency and simpler filterbank (hybrid → pure MDCT)
* Higher coding efficiency for stationary signals (blocksize: 576 → 1024 samples)
* Higher coding efficiency for transient signals (blocksize: 192 → 128 samples)
* Can use Kaiser-Bessel derived window function to eliminate spectral leakage at the expense of widening the main lobe
* Much better handling of audio frequencies above 16 kHz
* More flexible joint stereo (separate for every scale band)
* Adds additional modules (tools) to increase compression efficiency: TNS, Backwards Prediction, PNS etc... These modules can be combined to constitute different encoding profiles.
AdamJay 7:22 PM - 1 June, 2007
playing devils advocate, as i am a proponent for AAC as well, but aren't the MP4/SL1/TTM57SL's all only 48khz capable?

to even play back 96khz files without downsampling would require not only new hardware from Rane, but a new interface (USB1 don't hack it)
nobspangle 8:00 PM - 2 June, 2007
I think more file formats in general is something that should happen. It seems mad to me that we have support for ogg vorbis but not aac. As well as aac there should be flac and apple lossless for the people that don't like lossy compression but want to save (a bit) on hard disk space.
ekwipt 12:34 AM - 3 June, 2007
Maybe the licensing from apple costs too much?
mustgroove 1:13 PM - 3 June, 2007
I think if AAC was supported, I'd start importing my own vinyl & CD rips as AAC instead of MP3...

This would be another appropriate time to mention FLAC as well, which would be really nice, and hopefully implemented at the same time... :D
mustgroove 1:14 PM - 3 June, 2007
Quote:

From wikipedia: "No licenses or payments are required to be able to stream or distribute content in AAC format. "

en.wikipedia.org
mustgroove 1:15 PM - 3 June, 2007
Doh... should have read it first... no license for streaming, but you need a license to use/incorporate the codec...

:(
afr00 12:50 AM - 13 July, 2007
Quote:

what between Serato and Rane, they can't afford to buy a license? It must be really expensive then. I'm really keen to find out why lossless isn't supported. Does anyone know the real reason or when lossless support is due? I tried looking in the Scratchlive FAQ on the Rane site, but the site is broken..It worries me that T**kt** 's rip off of all the nice things Scratchlive does will play AACs and lossless straight out the box. It also worries me to read on this forum that people have been asking for lossless support "since v 1.6"
ekwipt 1:26 AM - 13 July, 2007
With all new formats would come new performance issues. MP3 320 kbps sounds fine, WAV and AIFF even better, tell me why people need 15000 songs on there HD for.

A lossless format would be the ultimate though FLAC, etc... but it's a little obscure don't you think?

Hopefully download stores only have things in WAV or AIFF soon and fuik mp3s off!!
b-random 7:19 PM - 8 August, 2007
So is there any plans for to add AAC support in a upcomming release of our beloved software yet?

This is getting retarded, every other DJ software supports em' except for SSL. I know those of you who didn't import your whole libiary prior to getting SSL don't care but those of us who did, as AAC files, are still screwed.
b-random 7:37 PM - 8 August, 2007
If it's an issue with Apple, I'd say a good portion of SSL DJs use Apple computers, that shits like free advertising in a club when you see a DJ rockin that glowing apple logo on the top of the notebook. Serato/Rane and Apple should be in bed together by now.
jstockdale 11:36 PM - 12 August, 2007
FYI: Its probably not an issue with Apple as much as an issue of whether or not Serato/Rane are willing to pay the MPEG-4 licensing fees to AT&T+Dolby Labs+Fraunhofer+Nokia+Sony - the relevant patent holders. For decoder products it's supposedly $2 per channel for commercial products. Even the encoder license is only $20 per channel. For a package as expensive as SSL, I'd really think they could get this together. More info is at www.dolby.com including contact info for a single point of contact licensing program.

To the Serato staff: Please please get on this. I'm an electrical engineer who grew up in NZ but now lives in San Francisco. I'd be happy to help you out in any way I can finding out more info or getting you contacts at Dolby Labs (they're 10 blocks from my house ;). But seriously, come on, ... AAC support (especially in light of iTunes Plus @ 256kbit with no drm) would be such a huge value added to your product line.
D-Twizzle 11:14 PM - 13 August, 2007
I have a feeling this feature will be added in 1.8.
We already know that the video plugin will support mp4/h.264 video which is usually connected with AAC/M4A audio. so let's just hope the 1.8 release comes out soon.
nobspangle 7:00 PM - 16 August, 2007
Quote:
We already know that the video plugin will support mp4/h.264 video

How do we know this, all we know is that the plugin is based on QT and it will support some containers/codecs at release with more added later. I think it's pretty likely to happen since AAC is so closely tied in to QT but we should definitely be weary of trying to second guess video support in 1.8.
concorde_pilot 4:27 PM - 22 August, 2007
aac support would be awesome because of itunes plus!
>>> please in 1.8 :D
b-random 4:58 PM - 23 August, 2007
Dear Serato,

If you add AAC support in v1.8, I promise I will only buy Rane/Serato products for as long as I DJ.

Sincerely,

Brandon
Dj Snaptec 6:47 PM - 23 August, 2007
that´ll cause a problem if you need new turntables or needles ;)
cappinkirk 10:21 PM - 23 August, 2007
appease the rane gods...

...sacrifice a virgin!!!!
Serato, Forum Moderator
Sam 12:12 AM - 24 August, 2007
Quote:
Dear Serato,

If you add AAC support in v1.8, I promise I will only buy Rane/Serato products for as long as I DJ.

Sincerely,

Brandon

That's some serious talk right there
D-Twizzle 8:28 PM - 16 September, 2007
Quote:
Quote:
We already know that the video plugin will support mp4/h.264 video

How do we know this, all we know is that the plugin is based on QT and it will support some containers/codecs at release with more added later. I think it's pretty likely to happen since AAC is so closely tied in to QT but we should definitely be weary of trying to second guess video support in 1.8.

Told ya 1.8 would support AAC playback:
Watchyoutube.com
nik39 9:31 PM - 16 September, 2007
Okay, the part where the guy talks about iTunes "import" could be a bit misleading. When he said iTunes import he meant presumably when you encode tracks with iTunes, this most likely does not mean when you read your iTunes library with SSL, that you can play back any AAC file, DRM protected files still cant be used...

This is one of the cases, where I would like to be wrong :)

So *please* someone correct me.
nobspangle 10:10 PM - 16 September, 2007
Quote:
DRM protected files still cant be used

I can't see this ever changing.
lotty 5:00 PM - 17 September, 2007
Quote:
Okay, the part where the guy talks about iTunes "import" could be a bit misleading. When he said iTunes import he meant presumably when you encode tracks with iTunes, this most likely does not mean when you read your iTunes library with SSL, that you can play back any AAC file, DRM protected files still cant be used...

This is one of the cases, where I would like to be wrong :)

So *please* someone correct me.

I don't think DRM would be allowed to play but you never know.

It still is a big thing because you can buy tracks in itunes without the DRM which means you don't have to go through a whole process of converting songs to other formats just to play them.

This means you can get more things done faster which is what makes this perfect as well as have better sounding music from the aac format if you choose to encode music yourself. Peace.
b-random 2:22 PM - 26 October, 2007
Quote:
Quote:
Dear Serato,

Sincerely,

Brandon

That's some serious talk right there

FYI, I plan on sticking to my word...

Thank you!