DJing Discussion

This area is for discussion about DJing in general. Please remember the community rules when posting and try to be polite and inclusive.

how do you steal a shitty dj's residency

djskiggz 11:09 AM - 27 May, 2007
just wondering. :)
ralph 11:32 AM - 27 May, 2007
don't...there's always someone better than you....it's all about karma homie.

If he really sucks pass the owner a mix cd and let him decide.
DJMark 12:33 PM - 27 May, 2007
Worry about yourself, and not all the "shitty DJ's".
poloi3eai2 5:05 PM - 27 May, 2007
Rob him for his tables and mixer.
Izzy 5:19 PM - 27 May, 2007
No such thing as a shitty DJ when your drunk, having fun, & trying to get some (Most people don't notice the things we do). Get to know the promoters or management... but don't worry about or bad mouth the DJ(s).
dj hoodat baller 5:43 PM - 27 May, 2007
Quote:

Well said ralph.
MusicMeister 6:29 PM - 27 May, 2007
Take care of your business and you'll succeed. If you talk crap about the local guy then you only make yourself look bad.

But you say he's a crap DJ... but is the place packed?

Just because he might have the technical DJ skills of a retarded monkey doesn't mean he's a bad DJ. In the club/bar game it's all about packing the house - and if he'd doing that then he's doing what he's getting paid for.
Sheeds 6:30 PM - 27 May, 2007
Are you even better than the guy
MusicMeister 6:30 PM - 27 May, 2007
On a side note, if the place is empty there's a good chance the management is looking for a new DJ anyway... stop by, drop of a mix CD & business card. But when you do remember the one cardinal rule of business 'Thou shalt not talk shit about thy competition'.
dj cubicle 8:27 PM - 27 May, 2007
Man, skiggz, I just got this gig. Step off!

;-)
dj hoodat baller 8:50 PM - 27 May, 2007
Thou shall not steal. Something will break for you and you will not trip on that gig because somthing better will come along and that same guy will come to your gig and checking you out
dj shadow from detroit 9:23 PM - 27 May, 2007
wow this thread should not of been started!
if you cant get a gig without thanking of stealing then why dj?
matt212 9:31 PM - 27 May, 2007
Hell yeah, that's fucked up. That's borderline of the same thing as stealing a fellow DJ's lady.
djskiggz 12:08 AM - 28 May, 2007
lol cubicle...anyway i guess you guys are right, i was just pretty trashed yesterday and i turned into a critic. He didnt mix and sounded like he had no idea what a BPM was, he was goin from like 105 to 120 and jumping all over. The place was packed though hmm
J_Static 1:09 AM - 28 May, 2007
Quote:

AGREED, KARMA IS A MUTHA WHEN IT COMES BACK TO BITE U IN THA A**.....BEEN THERE DONE THAT, NO REPEAT PLEASE
MusicMeister 1:11 AM - 28 May, 2007
Quote:
lol cubicle...anyway i guess you guys are right, i was just pretty trashed yesterday and i turned into a critic. He didnt mix and sounded like he had no idea what a BPM was, he was goin from like 105 to 120 and jumping all over. The place was packed though hmm

Hey! You were here in Penascola were you?.... oh wait... I wasn't playing out last night.... (doh!)
DJDLO 415 1:31 AM - 28 May, 2007
when you get your chance....just make sure you shine everytime
J_Static 1:33 AM - 28 May, 2007
Agreed with DLO.....

Sup Son, where u been at? Holla at your bro
Jay-R 4:18 AM - 28 May, 2007
keep you connections tight. never hate on another dj. later on, that could be another connection for a bigger gig. kill em with kindness works sometimes.
Steve_Dub 4:03 PM - 28 May, 2007
^^^^^ agreed!!!!

Had a guest dj at my club 2 weeks ago. I was cool with him from the jump like I am with all fellow dj's. Anyway, turns out he's the manager at this dope club and they need another resident dj. Had me come out on Saturday to play in the downstairs room during dinner, then I got moved to rock the closing set up-stairs and the resident dj up there ended up knowing a bunch of dj's that I know.

Same thing static said, be cool to EVERYONE. Sometimes its hard not to be arrogant but you really gotta be cool in this business if you wanna get far.

Also if your cool with alot of dj's guess who gets the gigs that they cant do????
Audio1 5:49 PM - 4 June, 2007
Thats how I got one of my residencies. Some "so-called" big wig DJ, with lots of connections, had 20 people for a 400 capacity club on a Saturday night. We went in, spoke to the owner, We got our shot... Weve been playing there since January, always a packed house. Some DJ's are real good at marketing themselves but all that marketing doesnt always guarantee results.
DJ Evil One 5:50 PM - 4 June, 2007
jack him.
Audio1 5:55 PM - 4 June, 2007
hahah!
Audio1 5:58 PM - 4 June, 2007
Another thing, Just because you use some Myspace bulletin auto-generator does not mean your going to have a million people
at your events. People need to separate fantasy from reality. The old Word-Of-Mouth promotion, Talking to people face to face,
works 100x better than the billion bulletins some of you fuckers send on a daily basis. Also, 10,000 friends, Are we for real? Its funny when DJ's and clubs promote events and about 7000 of their friends are not even in the local area.
cappinkirk 2:01 PM - 5 June, 2007
you will have most of your "viral" success from "word of mouth" from the other people you invite, not from your mouth directly. Inviting people from out of your area can actually be a good idea because the more people you tell the more people they will tell.
De LA 2:19 PM - 5 June, 2007
cut his brakes.

Thats it, I'm officially going to hell.
no more sopranos for me.
DJ Liav 2:24 PM - 5 June, 2007
A dj stole my serato box last week. He exchanged it with a broken one and hoped I wouldn't notice. I found out and went to the club he was djing at, unplugged it and took it back. Here's the funny part though, when I unplugged the serato, I was thinking the music will stop which will make him look bad, but it didn't!!! The loser was using a mix cd. There were rumors that this guy used mixes, and now I know it's true.

I'm stealing that night from him, cause he tried stealing from me, but in any other situation I wouldn't do it.
Audio1 3:44 PM - 5 June, 2007
wow!
Audio1 3:45 PM - 5 June, 2007
The funniest part must be when the Mix CD has skratching and he has his back turned to the crowd.
DJ GI-NYC 3:45 PM - 5 June, 2007
Just be there at the spot every week.
Make it known your a dj too and always have either a bag of records or something in ya trunk and be patient.

The night his ass is late or too twisted to dj or sick etc...be right there to get ya turn...And if you MURDER the club!!!
Heeeeeeeeee's outta there!!!!!!!!!!
DJ Liav 7:09 PM - 5 June, 2007
I don't have to do that. I've been requested in that club before, but the pay wasn't great so I didn't do it. now I will. lol.

yeah when I walked in he was all over the serato vinyls like he was a-trak or something. lol
MusicMeister 4:49 AM - 6 June, 2007
Quote:
Just be there at the spot every week.
Make it known your a dj too and always have either a bag of records or something in ya trunk and be patient.

The night his ass is late or too twisted to dj or sick etc...be right there to get ya turn...And if you MURDER the club!!!
Heeeeeeeeee's outta there!!!!!!!!!!

Sounds like a line from the Les Brown playbook.... That's how he got into radio...
DJ Evil One 4:49 AM - 6 June, 2007
shit on wack djs.
Leetenant 6:10 PM - 24 June, 2013
I have one good thing to report. If you are not a hindu, sik, buddhist, janist, or gongist you do not have to worry about karma. If you are a Dj trying to earn revenue, you do have to worry about competition. I recommend maintaining a professional attitude towards your competition and potential clients whether you do weddings, private events, and top 40 or underground nightclubs. I don't know whether people even care about CD's anymore since most people are using mobile devices as media. So use your internet resources such as podcasts, soundcloud, or mixcloud accounts connected to a QR code on a good looking business card. Don't talk bad about the other DJ, but try and be friendly with them. Perhaps you can even get in there as a sub when they are not available and then go from there. Also, talk to the owner and see if they have a DJ rotation that they van throw you into.
Mr. Goodkat 6:51 PM - 24 June, 2013
Quote:
shit on wack djs.

take a dump on the turntables while hes spinning. its a long shot, but go for it.
Laz219 9:27 PM - 24 June, 2013
Well, obviously you have to play for 1/2 a free drink. That's a 50% discount to what they pay the other guy.