Serato Video General Discussion

Talk about Serato Video and Video-SL.

Video-Sl Vs. MixEmergency

360loop 3:31 AM - 20 January, 2011
Just would like to see what everyone else thinks about this? Hands down one on one how do they measure up together? Keep it clean.
DJ Dan-E 3:42 AM - 20 January, 2011
Do a search, this has been discussed before. Better yet you can demo both and compare for yourself
djpuma_gemini 3:49 AM - 20 January, 2011
cliff notes.

ME/VSL anyday
360loop 4:03 AM - 20 January, 2011
I have search and reviewed. These are new people to the form everyday
Quote:
Do a search, this has been discussed before. Better yet you can demo both and compare for yourself

I have search and reviewed. These are new people to the form everyday. This is why Im asking again. But thanks anyway Moving on.
DJMark 4:27 AM - 20 January, 2011
Quote:
These are new people to the form everyday.

And I really wish more of them would spend some quality time READING before posting anything.

It would really help the overall s/n ratio.
dj_joe_luv 4:34 AM - 20 January, 2011
I use VSL only.
360loop 5:03 AM - 20 January, 2011
Quote:
Quote:

And I really wish more of them would spend some quality time READING before posting anything.

And again new updates & new features. This discussion is over the new & old comparisons of Video-Sl and MixEmergency not a debate of form use. And again moving on.
DJMark 5:12 AM - 20 January, 2011
Quote:
Quote:

Quote:

And again new updates & new features. This discussion is over the new & old comparisons of Video-Sl and MixEmergency not a debate of form use. And again moving on.

Well that's all super-awesome but the discussions that are already here are still current. ME 1.5 came out over 6 months ago, and the last update of Video-SL was way before that.

There's just not much new to say about it, and you don't have to dig very deep to find the recent discussions.

The forums over at Inklen.com will also be helpful.
360loop 5:15 AM - 20 January, 2011
Quote:
I use VSL only.

Iv been with video-sl for two years now myself. I just have some issues working with some of the video efx. There not very accessible when your in the middle of a mix.
DJMuErTe 9:02 AM - 20 January, 2011
I download the demo of ME and i like it, but i wonder if there is a way to split the main window, so you can arrange them one on each side and cancel the center screen since i use the main screen to view the videos, that will be nice.
djnak 9:48 AM - 20 January, 2011
Quote:
Iv been with video-sl for two years now myself. I just have some issues working with some of the video efx. There not very accessible when your in the middle of a mix.

Group 5 on the ttm 57.... cant get more accessible than that I am having the exact same problem with ME right now but then again I just bought it last night lol other than that its got some pretty dope transitions compared to vsl and I love the fact you can delete the one you dont want(Vsl's effects and transitions list are full of so much useless crap....) and being able to set the transitions on random is a big plus(But so far it almost feels like what autosync to audio is)

Quote:
but i wonder if there is a way to split the main window, so you can arrange them one on each side and cancel the center screen since i use the main screen to view the videos, that will be nice.

+1 I think there is but I havent hit that part of the learning curve yet lol
lvmez 12:23 PM - 20 January, 2011
Search Serato.com>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>
tomatoslice 3:50 PM - 20 January, 2011
ME uses less system resources
has a better gui, you can customize and move it.
ME has better transitions and they can be set to random change when a new track is loaded.
you can remove unwanted effects and transitions from the list of choices.
the texting works.

VSL has dual layer effects that can be bypassed

i am sure there is more to be said on both sides but i like ME best.
VSL would have to do a complete re-write for me to even look at it.
tomatoslice 3:57 PM - 20 January, 2011
oh, i forgot the most important stuff...to me.

ME plays way more video types. it even plays vob.
ME can handle wonky coded video too. i have some vids that will absolutely crash VSl but have no problem in ME. that crash loop in VSL is just sooo fking annoying.
plus, i have NEVER had ME crash. i can not say that about VSL.

like my mac, ME just works.
djpuma_gemini 4:01 PM - 20 January, 2011
Don't forget it records, but yes, being able to remove those transitions you hate to use in ME is priceless.
Dj Nyce 4:15 PM - 20 January, 2011
effect parameters that can be controlled by bass, position or velocity

saving effects with each video

saving effects, transitions, text, image and qtz as presets that can be recalled via midi

mediabank that autoloads a random image/vid when an mp3 is loaded in ssl

new effects/transitions weekly
skinnyguy 6:58 PM - 20 January, 2011
ME plays vob? hmm...didn't know that...

vsl also has video fx linked with audio fx (last i heard)
Millz 7:05 PM - 20 January, 2011
I cant confirm me plays vobs.
tomatoslice 8:13 PM - 20 January, 2011
Quote:
I cant confirm me plays vobs.

it does. just drop one into ME without scratchlive linked or place it in the media bank and have it auto-load with an mp3.

ahhh...but you know what...i just remembered i have a beta. i'd bet that 1.5 plays them as well.
DJ-Phat-AL 11:21 PM - 20 January, 2011
All of M.E. video effects have choices to drive the parameters. Audio driven and even being able to configure it around how it will be effected by audio as well. Velocity and Manual as well I think.

AND... there is a MASTER OUT video effects channel.
djpuma_gemini 11:55 PM - 20 January, 2011
Yes master out, not even sure who thought of left/right and not master
Henry GQ 3:06 AM - 21 January, 2011
Quote:
Don't forget it records, but yes, being able to remove those transitions you hate to use in ME is priceless.

this is huge.
wish SL would do this with their sound efx.
Maskrider 4:39 AM - 21 January, 2011
Wow How I wish they have a PC version of this and something that works with ITCH......lol

Plays VOB I'm sold........Only if I had a Mac.
DJ Unique 5:45 AM - 21 January, 2011
Quote:
mediabank that autoloads a random image/vid when an mp3 is loaded in ssl

What?
Really!!!!
I want this so bad that I guess I have to get ME.
DJLRock 6:29 AM - 21 January, 2011
do it
DJ Unique 7:01 AM - 21 January, 2011
Quote:
do it

HaHaHa...
I'm currently trying out the demo.
I like it a lot.
Maskrider 5:49 PM - 21 January, 2011
I really need a Mac.
skinnyguy 9:13 PM - 21 January, 2011
Quote:
ahhh...but you know what...i just remembered i have a beta. i'd bet that 1.5 plays them as well.

you just wanted to rub that in our faces.

so it can only play the video portion, right? but ssl doesn't recognize vob so it won't play the audio portion. unless someone makes an mp3 from the vob audio and links the 2 files together....but ssl still can't import vob files, even with the vsl plug-in, right? so these would really only be good when dragging from a window to ME, right? THEN you would link it to the mp3 file made from the vob's audio....
vjx 9:17 PM - 21 January, 2011
Quote:
Quote:

you just wanted to rub that in our faces.

so it can only play the video portion, right? but ssl doesn't recognize vob so it won't play the audio portion. unless someone makes an mp3 from the vob audio and links the 2 files together....but ssl still can't import vob files, even with the vsl plug-in, right? so these would really only be good when dragging from a window to ME, right? THEN you would link it to the mp3 file made from the vob's audio....

brainfreeze :)

I just use mp4..... in club enviroment you cant tell a difference.... oh yea - and I use VSL - not ME and just miss only 1 function - video recording.... ScreenFlow is ok, but like the quality of ME recording better
tomatoslice 7:44 AM - 23 January, 2011
Quote:

right, or you can have it set to auto-load from the media bank.
dj_joe_luv 2:15 PM - 23 January, 2011
The Reason i use vsl only, and havent even checked ME out is people like the videos til the club gets packed then i realized that the crowd really doesnt care.For me video is extra.
also; I use DVDXpressDX2 to record my mix.I wouldnt trust anything else.
dvjflash 5:56 PM - 25 January, 2011
Quote:
The Reason i use vsl only, and havent even checked ME out is people like the videos til the club gets packed then i realized that the crowd really doesnt care.For me video is extra.

If your crowd doesn't care then you need to update your library with stuff that isnt your standard promo only mix. First time you drop an off the wall commercial edit from Dj Caraby, or one of Dj King's (crooklyn clan) movie edits, people will notice. I use all kinds of edits (a lot of them from people that have written on this thread) and I have to say it... people on the dancefloor WILL stop stare at the screen and start dancing again if you drop the right edits.
G-L0GIX 5:44 AM - 22 March, 2011
Quick ME ? Anyone know if I can register mix emergency on two of my Macbooks?
DJLRock 5:53 AM - 22 March, 2011
Yes
DJCrank 6:45 PM - 22 March, 2011
Quote:
Quote:

If your crowd doesn't care then you need to update your library with stuff that isnt your standard promo only mix. First time you drop an off the wall commercial edit from Dj Caraby, or one of Dj King's (crooklyn clan) movie edits, people will notice. I use all kinds of edits (a lot of them from people that have written on this thread) and I have to say it... people on the dancefloor WILL stop stare at the screen and start dancing again if you drop the right edits.

Sometimes it works against you though. Sometimes I purposly turn off the videos becuase people start at the screens all night like they are a Buffaloe Wild Wings...lol

I havent got ME yet, I want it but I dont want to buy some extra MIDI controller etc. I want it to work straight with my 57SL
djpuma_gemini 7:24 PM - 22 March, 2011
I feel naked when I don't spin video and I still spin from my video crates cause my audio crates are jacked at the moment and wouldn't know where to begin or end
tomatoslice 7:52 PM - 22 March, 2011
Quote:

I havent got ME yet, I want it but I dont want to buy some extra MIDI controller etc. I want it to work straight with my 57SL

ME does work with a 57.

Quote:
I feel naked when I don't spin video and I still spin from my video crates cause my audio crates are jacked at the moment and wouldn't know where to begin or end

same here
DJCrank 2:43 AM - 23 March, 2011
Ok, I downloaded the Demo and yes the quality of the picture in ME is better, Yes the ease and multitude of transitions was better, and being able to move and lock the preview screens anywhere you want was pretty good. It did slow my little 13" MBP down a little, not much. and then my 30 mins was up so thats about as far s I got. I dont have another gig until 2 April so I wont get it until then unless something changes my mind. 2 Apr you ask, my wife says I can only buy new equipment or toys with the money I make from DJing, yeah I know it sucks but keeps peace in the house.
djpuma_gemini 3:20 AM - 23 March, 2011
make sure you don't have vsl running when ME is running or it will really slow your system down
djnak 4:56 PM - 23 March, 2011
Quote:

Feel that although I actually havent spun a "audio gig" in a while All Video All Night Everynight Baby!!
FunkyRob 5:00 PM - 23 March, 2011
I feel naked when I forget my pants
djpuma_gemini 5:23 PM - 23 March, 2011
It was a video gig, but the video portion wasn't working (damn grandtec)
DJCrank 11:22 PM - 23 March, 2011
I also decided not to get ME until the new VSL update comes out, so I am willing to give them a chance.
360loop 12:15 AM - 24 March, 2011
Quote:
I also decided not to get ME until the new VSL update comes out, so I am willing to give them a chance.

Iv been waiting for the new updates for Video-sl to come out. But since Iv bought the ME they have had 2 updates for it. Im going to stick with the ME.
jbnyc 2:36 AM - 24 March, 2011
Quote:

SMH you have no idea what you missing boyyy

its like waiting for the new civic to come 1.8 when you can have a V8 M3 for a few bucks!!
360loop 3:44 AM - 24 March, 2011
Quote:
Quote:

its like waiting for the new civic to come 1.8 when you can have a V8 M3 for a few bucks!!

LIKE LIKE LIKE :-)
tomatoslice 6:46 AM - 24 March, 2011
has it really been almost a year since the last full release?

almost a year...maybe it will have some craziness. it IS possible.
Henry GQ 7:34 AM - 24 March, 2011
they are working on vsl right now im beta testing it..

i keed i keed. lol
DJ'Que 8:04 AM - 24 March, 2011
are you
GRiNDBoX 9:08 AM - 24 March, 2011
MixEmergency...hehehehe

I kill MixEmergency..:)
DJCrank 12:55 PM - 24 March, 2011
Quote:
Quote:

Nah I think there is a difference. The difference is owning a New civic waiting for something else to come out. I already have and paid for VSL. I can see if I didnt have anything at all it would be a no brainer. But since I paid and invested in VSL, I will wait for the next update if its a monumental fail, then I will pick up ME. Too easy
jbnyc 1:38 PM - 24 March, 2011
Ok, keep waiting....... :)
DJ'Que 5:33 PM - 24 March, 2011
I cant wait to see yall face's when the new vsl drops. Real shit. :( ) then everybody will complain about something new. Smdh
skinnyguy 7:27 PM - 24 March, 2011
the best thing about vsl is that it's linked to the fx. only thing i can think of that people really want is a built in visualizer/ambient thing.
Joshua Carl 8:10 PM - 24 March, 2011
ME is also linked to the efx.
and more-over completely customizable to be free floating (like in VSL)
or you can have them go to the beat/velocity but not just in 1 amount.
you can increase, decrease the response and such in real time.

lets face it, when VSL stopped putting out updates it feel behind drastically.
nothing to do really with its product at that time.
the only thing ME had over VSL 14 months ago was the ability to record and a few other
whistles.... now we are comparing 1.6+ (I say + because new transitions and such are constantly dropping) to a software that over a year old.
and thats apples to oranges.

once VSL gets a proper update. then we can talk about which is which.
but as of now VSL seems to be on the bench while ME is just running up the score.

this coming from a DIE-HARD VSL user.
I mean a rocked a PC HARD for 2+ years with vsl, and it ran like butter to the end.
jbnyc 8:15 PM - 24 March, 2011
love the weekly transition!! :) now that 1.6 was released we're back @ it!
djpuma_gemini 8:55 PM - 24 March, 2011
I STILL CAN'T get the Efx to work, yeah yeah RTFM
DjBoozie 12:56 AM - 25 March, 2011
Quote:
I cant wait to see yall face's when the new vsl drops. Real shit. :( ) then everybody will complain about something new. Smdh

:/ This is my face now and will be if/when the new update drops...cause i waited as long as I could...At this point I personally dont give a hoot (No Woodies Owl). I wouldn't change back and If i could I would sell the key to Vsl, but I can't find anyone to buy it.
jbnyc 3:07 AM - 25 March, 2011
Quote:
I STILL CAN'T get the Efx to work, yeah yeah RTFM

i thought i was the only one! when i load a new one i erase the saved one :S
skinnyguy 9:00 PM - 25 March, 2011
so ME does stuff when phaser, flange, echo are engaged? to be honest, i haven't even tried these on vsl since i've mostly been using ME. get my info from skimming thru forum threads...
Joshua Carl 9:06 PM - 25 March, 2011
its a bit different...

the parameters for the effects can be customized by the user.
while the effect isnt tethered to a particular audio effect, if your playing a track
and tweak the parameter the effect will behave as such.
DjBoozie 11:01 PM - 25 March, 2011
Quote:
its a bit different...

the parameters for the effects can be customized by the user.
while the effect isnt tethered to a particular audio effect, if your playing a track
and tweak the parameter the effect will behave as such.

ME sounds like the bomb diggity shitz nit
skinnyguy 10:03 AM - 26 March, 2011
well, that's what i was referring to with audio fx being linked to video fx in vsl.
dpetree 7:07 PM - 27 March, 2011
yea, ME is the Bomb Diggity...Blows VSL away
dj_joe_luv 9:09 AM - 28 March, 2011
Very Happy with 2.0 and VLS .
DjBoozie 12:53 PM - 28 March, 2011
This thread is almost laughable in the sense that plain and simple ME is betta then vsl hands down. Forget the fact that macs are pricey and the obvious reasons when it's all said and done ME does more and continues to improve. While vsl is very limited and doesn't show improvements.
DJCrank 4:01 PM - 28 March, 2011
Quote:
Very Happy with 2.0 and VLS .

I dont know about Happy, I am content with it mostly becuase I already paid for it and it does what i need it to do for now, but if there was something out there thats better, faster more reliable, I think you should take a look at it like I did. I think if its so great somone should just send me their product key so I can use it LOL.
dj_joe_luv 7:31 PM - 28 March, 2011
works perfect for me,so why switch. VSL with 2.0 all day every day .
DjBoozie 10:15 PM - 28 March, 2011
Might as well get this started..Was going to start a new thread for this but I didnt know if there was one started and since 1.6 was just released.. I know there are no new photo's of various set up... So Here's how I have my ME screens Set

i1103.photobucket.com
deejaychoice 10:28 PM - 28 March, 2011
Quote:
Might as well get this started..Was going to start a new thread for this but I didnt know if there was one started and since 1.6 was just released.. I know there are no new photo's of various set up... So Here's how I have my ME screens Set

i1103.photobucket.com

Looks like 13" screen?

Also what is the application with the green Waveform?
DjBoozie 10:37 PM - 28 March, 2011
Quote:
Quote:

i1103.photobucket.com

Looks like 13" screen?

It's a 15in and the program is called wavepad...I use it to record My audio Mixes
deejaychoice 10:41 PM - 28 March, 2011
Quote:
Quote:

Quote:

i1103.photobucket.com

Looks like 13" screen?

It's a 15in and the program is called wavepad...I use it to record My audio Mixes

Why not record from SL?
DjBoozie 10:44 PM - 28 March, 2011
never thought about it..
deejaychoice 10:46 PM - 28 March, 2011
Quote:
never thought about it..

Better quality less resources - I record every session.
djpuma_gemini 10:46 PM - 28 March, 2011
I use ME to record the audio, sucks you gotta go line in, but it's great for rendering out the vides on ME. Can you record with the 57 and export the video and audio with ME, or do you have to drop it into an editing program?
deejaychoice 10:50 PM - 28 March, 2011
Quote:
I use ME to record the audio, sucks you gotta go line in, but it's great for rendering out the vides on ME. Can you record with the 57 and export the video and audio with ME, or do you have to drop it into an editing program?

I didnt know ME records audio as well as video, how?
DjBoozie 10:53 PM - 28 March, 2011
Quote:
Quote:

never thought about it..

Better quality less resources - I record every session.

The other day I ran.. SSL, ME Screenflow, Wavepad, istat menus, smc fan control all at the same time was only at 50% cpu.. So I'm cool on resourses
DjBoozie 10:55 PM - 28 March, 2011
e
Quote:
Quote:

I didnt know ME records audio as well as video, how?

when u record it makes a seperate audio files
djpuma_gemini 10:59 PM - 28 March, 2011
yeah, you gotta go line in and choose the line in not mic input or it will record the mic sound.
DJDAMNAGE 4:56 AM - 29 March, 2011
I love when they say "do a search it's been discussed". Like everyone who uses this site has had the time to respond or even see every post. Searching has its benefits but cmon quit being so submissive.
VJ Justin Allen 11:23 AM - 29 March, 2011
OK, you have your point. Now tell me why it's OK that I post the same information 15 times in 3 months because people are too lazy to "do a search".
DjBoozie 11:36 AM - 29 March, 2011
Quote:
OK, you have your point. Now tell me why it's OK that I post the same information 15 times in 3 months because people are too lazy to "do a search".

Believe it or not some people don't know how. Everything that simple to one person is not a easy to another...no matter how ready it can be. I have a friend who has live here all his life and still can't get around. Even asked me one day how get to get back home
tomatoslice 5:32 PM - 29 March, 2011
people are lazy. sometimes it's just hard to find things too.
DjBoozie 1:28 AM - 30 March, 2011
"Perhaps I can add a preference to allow you to hide the dock and menu in MixEmergency 1.7."

Did anyone hear about this one?
Henry GQ 1:30 AM - 30 March, 2011
Quote:
people are lazy. sometimes it's just hard to find things too.

someone say lazy ?
Henry GQ 1:32 AM - 30 March, 2011
Quote:
"Perhaps I can add a preference to allow you to hide the dock and menu in MixEmergency 1.7."

Did anyone hear about this one?

no please explain..
DjBoozie 1:34 AM - 30 March, 2011
Henry GQ 1:40 AM - 30 March, 2011
nice
DjBoozie 1:41 AM - 30 March, 2011
I couldn't believe it myself.. Almost fell off my chair
DJDAMNAGE 2:40 AM - 30 March, 2011
Quote:

I would say that is NOT ok to PERSONALLY post the same info over and over. That's totally not what I meant. I really all depends on how technical the post is in my opinion. I wasn't trying to make a huge deal over this. I personally do search before I post but if no one had responded within a reasonable amount of time in relation to the last response I will do a new post for the newer users to give their opinion. My bad if this upsets the "do a search it's been discussed before" dudes.
tomatoslice 2:43 AM - 30 March, 2011
ME RULES!!
DjBoozie 2:45 AM - 30 March, 2011
Quote:
ME RULES!!

And I see a 1.7 is in the works...Already.. And Yet no VSL 1.3 or 2.0 for that matter
tomatoslice 2:58 AM - 30 March, 2011
yes, of course it is in the works. they are always working. as soon as 1.7 is out they will start on 1.8 or something huge like 2.0.
that's a scary thought, how insane would 2.0 be?

vsl is working too. idk, maybe they are just more spread out or keeping quiet.
call them and see what they say.
jbnyc 3:47 AM - 30 March, 2011
who knows maybe vsl is gonna come up with a totally redesigned VSL plug in :) i dont mind using both programs, but for right now ME is the default...
skinnyguy 9:30 PM - 30 March, 2011
2.0 is gonna make my eyes bleed rainbows
DjBoozie 11:25 PM - 30 March, 2011
At this stage of the game "They Need to"
Funkytownstopsix 4:25 PM - 31 March, 2011
It boils down to this.. VSL is boring!!!! Me is lots of fun and add the fact that you can record it's just the shit. VSL is not as far behind as we tend to think or I should say that they could catch up in one good update. The hardest thing for them will be the recording feature the rest can be done no problem.

Fact is,,,,, if you want to show out and you had ME and VSL you would use ME. IF you bought ME you would be hard pressed to use VSL. I only use VSL when I want to do a fast video loading mix. Example www.vdjbig.com I might get a black frame when loading but on ME it takes much longer for the video to show, so I can't use ME for this type of mix. Because I did this mix in vsl that meant I recorded it in screenflow u cant use ME to record anything other than ME stuff. U can use screenflow to record either ME OR VSL

I guess what should be noted is that the more tools you have the better chance you can do more things. Having ME or Screenflow doesn't hinder me but it does allow me latitude to some thing others cant.. You dig...
FunkyRob 6:36 PM - 31 March, 2011
inklen website is down. I was just going to check it out.

I'm not to sure I want to jack up my screen though. I'd like to see other people's screen shots before I jump ship.
FunkyRob 7:25 PM - 31 March, 2011
OK, it's backup but I'm not seeing any screen shots like what DJBoozie posted. Maybe it's a copyright thing that they can't show what their software looks like on top of a scratchlive screen.

All the youtube videos only show the output screen, not the main screen. Where is everybody else putting those little plugin windows on top of the scratchlive screen?

Anybody else care to post screenshots?
Funkytownstopsix 7:56 PM - 31 March, 2011
www.vdjbig.com u mean like this..
Funkytownstopsix 7:59 PM - 31 March, 2011
quote]www.vdjbig.com u mean like this..
my bad wrong one..... that is not the screens shot...
Funkytownstopsix 8:03 PM - 31 March, 2011
this is the right one... www.vdjbig.com
Funkytownstopsix 8:05 PM - 31 March, 2011
serato.com If you read through the post you will see even more setups..
FunkyRob 8:45 PM - 31 March, 2011
This is cool, I like how tomatoslice split them up to fill that blank space up top.

I was worried that I'd be covering up some important shit. I am so getting this now, I'm sold.
ta2423 9:05 PM - 31 March, 2011
I havent opened vsl one time since my M.E. upgrade. Personally for vsl to really compete they will need a total and complete overhaul. The plus for vsl is for those still rocking pc's.
ta2423 9:08 PM - 31 March, 2011
Quote:
This is cool, I like how tomatoslice split them up to fill that blank space up top.

I was worried that I'd be covering up some important shit. I am so getting this now, I'm sold.

You can also change the opacity and see behind what it is covering w/o losing sight on m.e.
DJCrank 10:09 PM - 31 March, 2011
If Mix Emergency is so great how come their forum is dead....lol, they have about 60 people on there at the most....lol, Just Kidding
GRiNDBoX 10:13 PM - 31 March, 2011
Quote:
If Mix Emergency is so great how come their forum is dead....lol, they have about 60 people on there at the most....lol, Just Kidding

its not dead its just no problems with the ME users...LOL
DJ Half 12:18 AM - 1 April, 2011
VSL is better hands down!

Because it comes with stickers. :)
DjBoozie 1:00 AM - 1 April, 2011
Quote:
ME is better hands down!

Fixed!!!
DjBoozie 1:12 AM - 1 April, 2011
Quote:
It boils down to this.. VSL is boring!!!! Me is lots of fun and add the fact that you can record it's just the shit. VSL is not as far behind as we tend to think or I should say that they could catch up in one good update. The hardest thing for them will be the recording feature the rest can be done no problem.

Fact is,,,,, if you want to show out and you had ME and VSL you would use ME. IF you bought ME you would be hard pressed to use VSL. I only use VSL when I want to do a fast video loading mix. Example www.vdjbig.com I might get a black frame when loading but on ME it takes much longer for the video to show, so I can't use ME for this type of mix. Because I did this mix in vsl that meant I recorded it in screenflow u cant use ME to record anything other than ME stuff. U can use screenflow to record either ME OR VSL

I guess what should be noted is that the more tools you have the better chance you can do more things. Having ME or Screenflow doesn't hinder me but it does allow me latitude to some thing others cant.. You dig...

ME is a plug-in..not the program...you only need serato to load the video.. So the time it takes to load the video has nothing to do with ME (Or at least I don't think it does)
skinnyguy 1:23 AM - 1 April, 2011
ME is a stand-alone program...that piggy-backs.

VSL is a plug-in.

but then again, both are separate programs, if you think about it. one is activated within ssl, the other is activated on the outside.
ta2423 1:24 AM - 1 April, 2011
Quote:
VSL is better hands down!

What... You didnt get stickers? They shouldve been sent to you with your pluggin code e-mail.
DjBoozie 3:02 AM - 1 April, 2011
Quote:

So I went into investigation mode and cranked the ole MBP and what I found out was.. With the ME on.. "MY" video loaded quiet swiftly just like you said they did in VSL. So my theory was somewhat correct. The video's are loaded in serato and will show up right away... So it's not VSL and ME and the speed it loads the video's it how fast SSL will load them....So with that being said your theory is incorrect my brutha.. Moving right alone
DJ Half 3:36 AM - 1 April, 2011
Here is a question of what I have yet to read. How is the quality playback and processing of ME. I use VSL, bought it without knowing there was an alternative.
tomatoslice 3:50 AM - 1 April, 2011
Quote:
Here is a question of what I have yet to read. How is the quality playback and processing of ME. I use VSL, bought it without knowing there was an alternative.

some people say the quality is better with ME. side to side i have never compared them together.
personally i know i can run ME at it's highest quality output and it uses less system process than the lower settings on vsl.
so with that my playback already looks better.

it's ok that you bought VSL first, i did, many of us did.
i am very happy with having both. options are a good thing. plus, the ease of having the vsl plug in so that we can load videos on the fly is less of a headache.
don't be bummed that you bought vsl without know of an alternative. imo it is a good thing for many reasons.
DJ Half 4:10 AM - 1 April, 2011
Thanks Tomatoslice. It turns my stomach to drop another 200 as a bedroom Mixer.
jbnyc 4:19 AM - 1 April, 2011
Quote:
Thanks Tomatoslice. It turns my stomach to drop another 200 as a bedroom Mixer.

time to start getting some gigs my friend!! :)
DJ Half 4:25 AM - 1 April, 2011
Lol. I plan too, just need to find time.

NAVY supporting Marines, 2 kids an wife, college, Gym (6/week), Maintain the house. It would be fun.
jbnyc 4:49 AM - 1 April, 2011
Quote:
Lol. I plan too, just need to find time.

NAVY supporting Marines, 2 kids an wife, college, Gym (6/week), Maintain the house. It would be fun.

i hear you but the good thing is that you can get a gig on saturday nights :)
DJ Half 5:17 AM - 1 April, 2011
Hell yeah. I'll let you guys know when I land something. Thanks for the push!
Funkytownstopsix 1:45 PM - 1 April, 2011
@ DjBoozie when I find the time I will record a mix for you to see.. Trust me I know what I am talking about. I much rather record in ME yet since the vids don't load as fast in ME I don't for that type of mix. There is another thread where this was discussed and it was found to be true. Maybe your the lucky one.
dpetree 12:02 AM - 2 April, 2011
i do not know why people ask about VSL anymore, you do know who made it right?
DJ Half 12:17 AM - 2 April, 2011
Quote:
i do not know why people ask about VSL anymore, you do know who made it right?

When you see him, could you please ask him to get started with a good update? Thanks.
dpetree 12:27 AM - 2 April, 2011
sorry, i think he is working on 1.7
skinnyguy 7:40 PM - 2 April, 2011
perhaps the reason vsl has "stalled" in updates is maybe they are working on video-itch?
hologram 5:13 PM - 3 April, 2011
OK I just bought ME Friday.
It's worth the money just to do the recording.
All other options are just as costly for quality output.
I like the transitions better and the ability to set the system to random is cool on long nights.(it will pick a random transition on each consecutive song change)
Last the setting to put up random graphics when there is no linked video is nice too.
just my two cents...
DJ Half 6:08 PM - 3 April, 2011
I'm curious. How come ME isn't on Traktor? Thats where I would go due to them not able to vid mix.
DjBoozie 6:20 PM - 3 April, 2011
ME is a plug-in just VSL.. It's a mac program basically
tomatoslice 7:43 PM - 3 April, 2011
i'd be on traktor in a second if it had ME
deejaychoice 3:42 PM - 4 April, 2011
Quote:
OK I just bought ME Friday.
It's worth the money just to do the recording.
All other options are just as costly for quality output.
I like the transitions better and the ability to set the system to random is cool on long nights.(it will pick a random transition on each consecutive song change)
Last the setting to put up random graphics when there is no linked video is nice too.
just my two cents...

How do you set the random graphics?
djpuma_gemini 4:29 PM - 4 April, 2011
top of the graphics drop down list
Dj Owe 3:09 AM - 5 April, 2011
I LOVE ME. ONLY PROBLEM IS MY MAC LAGS on it, so i just use VSL. i noticed that my wave forms stutter hugely AND ALSO my loop rolls and hot cues are delayed slightly after pusing the butoon so i just stick to vsl..
jbnyc 3:29 AM - 5 April, 2011
i had to lower the video quality to like 4 (not a big difference on my screens) and the waveforms arent choppy anymore,just my two pennies..
tomatoslice 3:40 AM - 5 April, 2011
Quote:
I LOVE ME. ONLY PROBLEM IS MY MAC LAGS on it, so i just use VSL. ... .

WHAT?!? it SHOULD be less lag.

my simple tests with vsl against me with both settings at there highest have shown less system use with me.
DjBoozie 3:46 AM - 5 April, 2011
Dj owe mine was too. I had to tweek the buffer to get it to run smoothly. Try that
djcrap 7:04 PM - 5 April, 2011
Quote:
Quote:

I LOVE ME. ONLY PROBLEM IS MY MAC LAGS on it, so i just use VSL. ... .

WHAT?!? it SHOULD be less lag.

my simple tests with vsl against me with both settings at there highest have shown less system use with me.

what is the point of less system use if videos are gonna lag on ME. i would rather use vsl with more system use with videos not laging
DJ.T.BOOGIE 7:38 PM - 5 April, 2011
lower cache in mix emergency...tht should free more resources also how much ram u got @ least 4gigs rt...finally make sure videos are encoded to right format with right container.if it loads fast in serato it wil b same in mix emergency. i use macx video converter/apple tv/h264/aac audio .
once vids are analyzed they load instanly waveform doesnt load it jus appears on deck fully loaded.
this is not vdj ppl(although i started vids with it) serato requires u to reencode ur vid file flat out
tomatoslice 1:56 AM - 6 April, 2011
Quote:
what is the point of less system use if videos are gonna lag on ME. i would rather use vsl with more system use with videos not laging

less system use should equate to a higher ability to create less lag.
if you are running the proper ssl, there is NO reason based on the hardware or software that mix emergency should get more lag than vsl.

you definitely need to check your settings.
DJ Half 2:46 AM - 6 April, 2011
Quote:
Quote:

less system use should equate to a higher ability to create less lag.
if you are running the proper ssl, there is NO reason based on the hardware or software that mix emergency should get more lag than vsl.

you definitely need to check your settings.

Tomatoslice is right. If you have a mbp you shouldn't be going through this issue. Do somemore research on all programs and make sure your not downloading pron while mixxing!
Funkytownstopsix 12:47 PM - 6 April, 2011
Lag in either VSL or ME most often comes from poorly encoded videos. Choppy wave fourms don't equate to lag either, my buddy has choppy wave forms on his pro but no lag in video. My MBP is Pre Uni and I did nothing but install it and it worked right off the top. Even if you record with ME it uses less resources then VSL. So I would say your having some kinda issue and it has nothing to do with porn as DJ half suggested. :)
tomatoslice 5:55 PM - 6 April, 2011
and as far as poorly encoded videos, ME handles them much better.

i know this from experience. way back i had some bad vids that i rendered myself through cinematize.
in VSL they would create an infinite loop of crash, vsl auto-restart, crash, vsl auto-restart, crash, vsl auto-re...fk!!
you couldn't even load another track or unload the video.
however, the same video in mix emergency would load and play. no problems.

since this is a VSL vs ME thread, i'd like to mention that ME can play more types of video including VOB.
djpuma_gemini 6:39 PM - 6 April, 2011
How do you get effects to load in Mix Emergency

Watchwww.youtube.com

Where the hell is that window
Millz 6:59 PM - 6 April, 2011
theres a tab on the main screen
djpuma_gemini 7:00 PM - 6 April, 2011
I honestly can't see it.
tomatoslice 7:02 PM - 6 April, 2011
ooh WOW that is an old video.

i load them from the "control" window.

it's difficult to see but there are little tabs.

i will load a screenshot for you if u need
djpuma_gemini 7:02 PM - 6 April, 2011
yes screenshot
djpuma_gemini 7:03 PM - 6 April, 2011
i can open the box that shows effects, but they are blank 1 thru 12 etc.
tomatoslice 7:03 PM - 6 April, 2011
k..brb
tomatoslice 7:07 PM - 6 April, 2011
i4.photobucket.com

i4.photobucket.com

i4.photobucket.com

gah..it didn't pick up my mouse.
but i hope this helps.
Joshua Carl 7:10 PM - 6 April, 2011
you are looking at the preset window.

Basically, choose an effect from the pulldown tab on the dek 1 or 2.
once its loaded, click a slot in the preset tab;click the disk in the preset window, and that will load/save
that particular effect into slots 1-12 (and theres 4 pages after that if u like)
djpuma_gemini 7:10 PM - 6 April, 2011
aaah what a dumb ass.

It's been there the entire time and never f'ing saw it. The little tab on the right. Mine is always set to the right deck play, skip etc.
Son of a bitch.

Thanks F
tomatoslice 7:10 PM - 6 April, 2011
see the slider for the left fader on the control window.
there is a lil gray tab. one dark, one light. that is where you switch.

unless i am totally misunderstanding your issue.
tomatoslice 7:11 PM - 6 April, 2011
well...you got it.

did that help at all?
djpuma_gemini 7:11 PM - 6 April, 2011
oh fuck me, it's on both decks. Dumb fuck.

lmao.

Shit it's on left center and right. I've never seen that tab
djpuma_gemini 7:12 PM - 6 April, 2011
haha.

I RTFM and it wasn't in there.

Those little fucking tabs on the right side. I always thought they were for looks.

thanks for helping the tard on the short bus.
tomatoslice 7:15 PM - 6 April, 2011
yea, there have been a few things that aren't so obvious and made me feel like a total dumbass later on.

that's not to say i want you to change your layout, inklen.
it's damn good design, streamlined and fit.
please don't change, please don't change.
djpuma_gemini 7:15 PM - 6 April, 2011
anyway to hot cue these and what's the best one to blur out stuff if it's got nudity.
Joshua Carl 7:21 PM - 6 April, 2011
all the LED ones are good for that.

I put the how to hot cue in my post above.
I thought thats what u were asking.
tomatoslice 7:22 PM - 6 April, 2011
ah hell there is a lot, depending on your settings.
blur, pixellate, led

there are effects i am not reading tho because i have them set to not load in that drop down menu.

ugh...now i foresee myself spending the rest of the day working on setting my midi to make a quick button to bypass effects and auto-load.
Nick told me how to do it but i get lost in technical jargon.
Joshua Carl 7:31 PM - 6 April, 2011
Quote:
make a quick button to bypass effects and auto-load.
Nick told me how to do it but i get lost in technical jargon.

whats cha mean?

what I did was load my 11 favorite effects into presets banks 2-12
and I keep Preset #1 to "none"

this was the solution I came up with back when i came on to ME and was used to
the VSL bypass button...

Im thinking there should be a preset option though that allows your midi
device to fire which ever preset slot you have selected on the screen
example.
if you have the transition preset tab "on top/visable" your mapped midi controls will fire THOSE preset banks.
then if u jump to the effect preset window those SAME midi buttons will control
the effect selection...becuase its on top.
save ya wasting control surfaces that are in essence hitting the same button on differnt pages.
djpuma_gemini 7:34 PM - 6 April, 2011
thanks josh (for the hot cue info)
tomatoslice 8:52 PM - 6 April, 2011
i just meant i need a "quick fire" button to load my preset effects to the left and right side.
i don't want to scroll, i don't want to choose left, right or middle i just want to push a button.
i also want that wheel that controls the effect parameter or depth to be a single bush button.

i am quite positive it can be done. i just need to mess with it and possibly change some midi signal type. not sure if my brain is up to it today tho.
djpuma_gemini 9:04 PM - 6 April, 2011
Can't you set that up with Midi.
Sucks cause I have the dicers and nano kontrol, but I don't want to use both.

Might have to look into the traktor X1 or whatever it's called.
jbnyc 9:07 PM - 6 April, 2011
Quote:
Can't you set that up with Midi.
Sucks cause I have the dicers and nano kontrol, but I don't want to use both.

same here..
ta2423 9:09 PM - 6 April, 2011
Think Im going to check out the X1 myself. Saw a vid with shortee and Faust using it and it grabbed my attention.
ta2423 9:11 PM - 6 April, 2011
djpuma_gemini 9:17 PM - 6 April, 2011
sell the dicers and nano kontrol and get pretty close to the price of it.
Or sell my white tittsworth vinyl and call it a day.
djpuma_gemini 9:19 PM - 6 April, 2011
cgi.ebay.com

damn are they really going for that much?
jbnyc 9:25 PM - 6 April, 2011
Quote:
cgi.ebay.com

damn are they really going for that much?

i see them go between 130 and 170 all the time, i got mines on a trade for a pair of emerald green king breaks...
tomatoslice 9:33 PM - 6 April, 2011
so what is sooo special about those??
white vinyl with maybe a track and his name on them?
do they do something special?
tomatoslice 9:49 PM - 6 April, 2011
Quote:

and what can you do with it that you can't do with the dicers and nanokontrol together.

Quote:
Think Im going to check out the X1 myself. Saw a vid with shortee and Faust using it and it grabbed my attention.

yes, the faust and shortee thing is dope. but don't forget they have mad talent and they are using traktor.
want to show me something great, give it to an average dj and let's see what they do.
Joshua Carl 9:54 PM - 6 April, 2011
Ive had the x-1 for about a month and LOOOOOVE it.
a2.sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net

top 1/2 is video
bottom is audio
middle is library.

actually heres my skin:
i129.photobucket.com
note: The white didnt come out on the finished product...I didnt know they
dont print white ink.
djpuma_gemini 9:56 PM - 6 April, 2011
@Josh.

Can you control ME effects and SSL effects with the X1. Meaning can you map a midi device to two diff pieces of software?
djpuma_gemini 9:56 PM - 6 April, 2011
judging by your skin, I'd say yes.
jbnyc 10:06 PM - 6 April, 2011
Quote:
so what is sooo special about those??
white vinyl with maybe a track and his name on them?
do they do something special?

only a collector would understand why are those more expensive!!

in 2 words cool & rare..
djpuma_gemini 10:12 PM - 6 April, 2011
Yeah, that's why I bought two when they got released. I spin with one pair and the other is at home still sealed. Might either sell them or keep em for when the current whites get cue burn.
jbnyc 10:27 PM - 6 April, 2011
Quote:
Yeah, that's why I bought two when they got released. I spin with one pair and the other is at home still sealed. Might either sell them or keep em for when the current whites get cue burn.

ohhh lucky guy!! you paid like 18 bucks each!! nice!!
ta2423 10:30 PM - 6 April, 2011
Quote:

yes, the faust and shortee thing is dope. but don't forget they have mad talent and they are using traktor.
want to show me something great, give it to an average dj and let's see what they do.
They are using ssl in that vid... Did I miss something? Dont they use and are sponsored by Serato? I like the control over effects parameters at your fingertips and im sure you can do the same with ME effects and parameters on the fly.
Joshua Carl 10:57 PM - 6 April, 2011
yes, 1 midi device.
controls are split between two programs...

works like a charm.
ta2423 12:04 AM - 7 April, 2011
^next purchase... Dont you have the 68? Ive been refraining from buying it.
With the 68 what does your x1 control?
Joshua Carl 12:15 AM - 7 April, 2011
Nah...57.
The 68 seems too much for the way my brain works.

Ive used it twice and wasnt thrilled...plus Id be forced to update from 1.9.2
and that AINT HAPPENING!
ta2423 12:47 AM - 7 April, 2011
LOL... Sooner or later youre gonna have to take that jump.
I get both positives and negs on the 68. I hate to return gear but guess I will have to do that 30 day $$$ back with GC to see if its practical for my wants and needs.
DJCrank 12:08 PM - 7 April, 2011
I saw on a youtube that using ME you can hookup an external camera and have a PIP effect. But when I read the manual for 1.5 and 1.6 it didnt mention that option at all. Did they take it out. It also mentions that you can split the preview screens into 3 different places but I didnt see that part in the manual also. Am i missing something. I have waited long enough for VSL to give me an update and with the newsletter that came out this morning didnt mention anything about it, so I am looking at getting my ME either today or tomorrow.
tomatoslice 1:24 PM - 7 April, 2011
for the camera and pip you have to go into the inklen forums to find the info. there is another feature too that you can get related to external cam use but i have not tried whatever it is. both were a hidden feature from what i recall and you had to dload a zip file. not sure if it's still avail. you will have to ask in their forums.

the path for multiple screens is
Mix Emergency > Preferences > General > Windows > Layout > Multiple Windows Layout
Funkytownstopsix 1:29 PM - 7 April, 2011
Quote:
Ive had the x-1 for about a month and LOOOOOVE it.
a2.sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net

top 1/2 is video
bottom is audio
middle is library.

actually heres my skin:
i129.photobucket.com
note: The white didnt come out on the finished product...I didnt know they
dont print white ink.

Ok gotta have it...more toys more toys... soon as GC opens I will be there and u can tell a real dj designed this midi the only thing it's missing is a jog wheel for scratching... JC did you do your own skin or did you order it if so where from.. Also tractor time code seems to have gotten better have not looked at them in a while but saw this vid while look at utubes on x-1 Watchwww.youtube.com serato better watch out competition makes the world go round.
Joshua Carl 1:55 PM - 7 April, 2011
I designed it...
mostly because I mapped it the way I wanted.

they have pre made skins for serato @ 12inch skinz as well.

I gotta say, Ive seen a few guys use traktor and i couldnt find a thing to hate on it for.
I mean, these guys were "performance" djs... not just mixing intro to outro via auto sync.
Dj Nyce 2:16 PM - 7 April, 2011
Quote:
I saw on a youtube that using ME you can hookup an external camera and have a PIP effect. But when I read the manual for 1.5 and 1.6 it didnt mention that option at all. Did they take it out. It also mentions that you can split the preview screens into 3 different places but I didnt see that part in the manual also. Am i missing something. I have waited long enough for VSL to give me an update and with the newsletter that came out this morning didnt mention anything about it, so I am looking at getting my ME either today or tomorrow.

here is the hidden webcam feature. the webcam doesn't show up as PiP, but rather as a source in deck a or b. www.youtube.com

for Picture-in-picture, you just need to use the app, PiP 2. it used to be free, but now its in the mac app store.
Joshua Carl 2:18 PM - 7 April, 2011
DJCrank 3:20 PM - 7 April, 2011
Ok, I finally picked up ME...Well I was suppose to be at work at 9am, I downloaded ME about 8:15am, it is now 11:15 and I am just leaving for work. I dont even know where to begin, the picture is clearer, the audio to video sync is amazing, the random transitions, the ability to set the scratch point in ME without messing with my 57. The ability to split my preview screens and place them where I want. Man this thing is crazy, I can not wait to get off work to record a few things. I feel like the guy with the 8tracks while every one been using CDs. I cant wait for the next gig, I am reborn...lol
DJCrank 3:21 PM - 7 April, 2011
Quote:
Ok, I finally picked up ME...Well I was suppose to be at work at 9am, I downloaded ME about 8:15am, it is now 11:15 and I am just leaving for work. I dont even know where to begin, the picture is clearer, the audio to video sync is amazing, the random transitions, the ability to set the scratch point in ME without messing with my 57. The ability to split my preview screens and place them where I want. Man this thing is crazy, I can not wait to get off work to record a few things. I feel like the guy with the 8tracks while every one been using CDs. I cant wait for the next gig, I am reborn...lol

Ok go head and day it "I TOLD YOU SO"...lol
DjBoozie 3:23 PM - 7 April, 2011
"We told u so".. Now go to work
tomatoslice 3:23 PM - 7 April, 2011
Quote:

Ok go head and day it "I TOLD YOU SO"...lol

naw

"Welcome aboard!"
jbnyc 4:40 PM - 7 April, 2011
Yup! Thats ME!!
ta2423 7:44 PM - 7 April, 2011
Yeah, would be sick if you could use an image overlay or qc as the p.i.p.
Couldnt be that out of this world to give us a p.i.p. tab to overlay with a few effects and opacity.
DJ Half 1:57 AM - 8 April, 2011
starting to want ME, but ready to wait until I put an xtra internal HDD on the MBPro
Culprit 2:02 AM - 8 April, 2011
noob question for mix emergency - how do i set a randon transition for the main xfader? is this possible?
ta2423 2:24 AM - 8 April, 2011
In the pull down list the very first one is random that will flow through the transitions you have selected everytime you fade to the next track.
Culprit 2:35 AM - 8 April, 2011
Quote:
In the pull down list the very first one is random that will flow through the transitions you have selected everytime you fade to the next track.

so i select random as well as the transitions i want to use, correct?
ta2423 2:54 AM - 8 April, 2011
In the me preferences- transitions- there is a place to choose which transitions you want to use in the random.
ta2423 2:56 AM - 8 April, 2011
I personally only use about 8 of them when Im in random.
DJDAMNAGE 3:37 AM - 8 April, 2011
This may be a dumb question also but how do i associate videos to audio tracks with no video within ME?
ta2423 5:23 AM - 8 April, 2011
I dont quite understand the ? of no video within me...
I think this is what you mean...Just drop the video in the me screen where you want it... Same principle as vsl. I personally dont save the videos to tracks because I had an issue with ssl freezing after I moved the visuals.
DjBoozie 8:47 AM - 8 April, 2011
Quote:
Quote:

so i select random as well as the transitions i want to use, correct?

you have two place to pick transitions...one is a list of transitions and another for a list of transition you want to play in random transition, but it doesn't use the same list for both. it's all under the transition tab in the preference.
Dj Nyce 2:12 PM - 8 April, 2011
Quote:
This may be a dumb question also but how do i associate videos to audio tracks with no video within ME?

media from the media bank will automatically be loaded to the ME deck if an audio file is loaded in SSL. you can also choose do nothing, eject current media, or load album art.
DJCrank 2:34 PM - 8 April, 2011
Quote:
Quote:

media from the media bank will automatically be loaded to the ME deck if an audio file is loaded in SSL. you can also choose do nothing, eject current media, or load album art.

I will look into doing that with alot of albumart for some of the songs that do not have videos for.
Funkytownstopsix 4:28 PM - 8 April, 2011
quick question say i want to load audio from a video on top of a video in me how do I do this or can it be done. I am using two vids not a vid linked to a mp3
djpuma_gemini 4:38 PM - 8 April, 2011
load the video with the audio you want to play first and drag the 2nd video over the me deck
DJCrank 11:17 PM - 8 April, 2011
Funkytownstopsix 2:49 AM - 9 April, 2011
thanks Puma Gemini... got that solved now gota work on my x-1 cant get the lights to stay on but love this damn thing... thanks JC...
DJDAMNAGE 8:09 AM - 10 April, 2011
Quote:
I dont quite understand the ? of no video within me...
I think this is what you mean...Just drop the video in the me screen where you want it... Same principle as vsl. I personally dont save the videos to tracks because I had an issue with ssl freezing after I moved the visuals.

So simple. I did that before but I just had my faders down so drip my bad. thx fo the help
DJ Dub Cowboy 4:45 PM - 11 April, 2011
is there a thread for posting ME screen shots?

this is the one I use when I use DJ-FX or the third deck.

www.facebook.com
djpuma_gemini 4:53 PM - 11 April, 2011
Wow, I had no idea SSl could be setup like that.

The more you know.
DJCrank 9:42 PM - 11 April, 2011
Quote:
Wow, I had no idea SSl could be setup like that.

The more you know.

Your kidding right Puma?, I am sure you are light years ahead of us.
djpuma_gemini 9:59 PM - 11 April, 2011
With video yes, with SSL no.

I just moved to 2.2 and I only use it to play files, ME does the rest.
haha

I do like the hide waveforms mode though
dj_joe_luv 1:55 AM - 12 April, 2011
100 percent Happy running 2.0 and VSL. Man, If you would have told me 20 years ago that I'd be doing what I'm Doing now.I'd say your crazy.I'm married to it. Sorry, but no me for me. VSL for president! LOL.I'm sorry for even trying the demo of me.VSL, Will u forgive me! LOL
djpuma_gemini 2:06 AM - 12 April, 2011
VSL was dope.
jbnyc 3:08 AM - 12 April, 2011
Quote:
100 percent Happy running 2.0 and VSL. Man, If you would have told me 20 years ago that I'd be doing what I'm Doing now.I'd say your crazy.I'm married to it. Sorry, but no me for me. VSL for president! LOL.I'm sorry for even trying the demo of me.VSL, Will u forgive me! LOL

*rolling eyes*
DJCrank 3:11 AM - 12 April, 2011
Quote:
Quote:

*rolling eyes*

Man I was you all the way up to a week ago when I purchased ME. VSL for vice president maybe. Id vote for Donald Trump before I let VSL beat out ME...lol
dj_joe_luv 3:33 AM - 12 April, 2011
LOL .I guess,for me rocking the clubs(2.0 and VSL) with no problems and having fun.Who could want more.We live the dream.
jbnyc 3:58 AM - 12 April, 2011
Quote:
Who could want more.We live the dream.

me!! and not me as in ME, i mean me as in me!! more transitions and features but hey..thats just me!! not me as in Me,i mean me as in me!!
dj_joe_luv 4:30 AM - 12 April, 2011
Sounds like the remix I'm working on.All we need is the video,I mean VSL
ta2423 5:26 AM - 12 April, 2011
Poor lost soul... Follow the light
DJ'Que 7:03 AM - 12 April, 2011
I bet vsl beta testers are laughing at ya'll that just switched to m.e. I know they wanna say something but they cant. Code silence. I havent switched yet. But looking at m.e screen and able to split and move is tempting but imma wait for another month b4 I jump shio. Or get accepted in this beta like b4.
DJ'Que 7:03 AM - 12 April, 2011
I bet vsl beta testers are laughing at ya'll that just switched to m.e. I know they wanna say something but they cant. Code silence. I havent switched yet. But looking at m.e screen and able to split and move is tempting but imma wait for another month b4 I jump shio. Or get accepted in this beta like b4.
skinnyguy 10:34 AM - 12 April, 2011
And the ME beta testers.......?
DjBoozie 11:59 AM - 12 April, 2011
Quote:
And the ME beta testers.......?

Are still getting the jizz outta their boxers for having the chance to test the new update before everybody else did. Lucky bastards
DjBoozie 12:04 PM - 12 April, 2011
Quote:
Quote:

me!! and not me as in ME, i mean me as in me!! more transitions and features but hey..thats just me!! not me as in Me,i mean me as in me!!

JBNYC... Did you see the new transition that was added yesterday. I know VSL adds their new transitions on......hey wait a minute what am I thinking.they haven't added anything in ova a year. Oh well so much for that thought. Can't wait to see whats new next week. You know they make one every week right. Ijs
DJCrank 12:22 PM - 12 April, 2011
Quote:
LOL .I guess,for me rocking the clubs(2.0 and VSL) with no problems and having fun.Who could want more.We live the dream.

Its all good, dude I was you up to a week ago. I was a diehard VSL fan and then tried ME. Honestly I dont see how VSL is better, I think ME is better because if fixed alot of my main concerns I had with VSL. It sharpened my picture and now all of my videos are in sync with the music, there had always seem to be a delay with VSL. The random transitions works great for lazy folks like me, that concentrate on other things. Split the screens works great for me since I only have a 13" Mack Book, I can still utilize alot of the viewing space and keep my standard view of song selection. Yeah VSL is working hard trying to catch up and if they do I can always switch back, right now the only thing that would make me switch back to VSL is the ability to do Karoake, thats about it. But I am not knocking anyone that uses whatever that use to get the job done.
jbnyc 2:32 PM - 12 April, 2011
Quote:

HAHAHAAH you remind me of me (not me as...well u know) a year ago! Face it,its not the "i got faith in VSL" thing, we all know is the "i dont want to fork out 179 bucks" i was there but im glad i switched over :) enjoy your VSL guys! I know im enjoying ME (nm)

Quote:
Quote:

Quote:

JBNYC... Did you see the new transition that was added yesterday. I know VSL adds their new transitions on......hey wait a minute what am I thinking.they haven't added anything in ova a year. Oh well so much for that thought. Can't wait to see whats new next week. You know they make one every week right. Ijs

Yeah, this new one its sick!!
skinnyguy 7:19 PM - 12 April, 2011
it was VERY clever for ME to offer new transitions/fx almost every week. those are the most commonly asked for things in vj software and they can be written fairly quickly and easily installed. this distracts, or better yet, eases the appetite for users who keep requesting and wanting new things while the next version with new features is being tested. it makes the user like they're getting constant "updates". a new toy each week.

if the serato devs were to concentrate on making vsl super stable, AND push out fx/transitions frequently, this would appease users here as well. then they could tinker with the next version of vsl with a bit more peace, i think.
ta2423 9:20 PM - 12 April, 2011
Personally I dont think they are going to be making much, if any changes in vsl anytime soon..... if ever. The only plus that I see for vsl is that peeps can use it on their 399.99 pc. Thats "IF" you call it a plus.
Die hard Serato fan but I guess all companies have a little junk in the trunk.
dj_joe_luv 10:33 PM - 12 April, 2011
I meanly keep it simple when it comes to transitions.All my energy comes from beat mixing,and when I get in the zone, I could care less about all those extra transitions.
VSL gets the job done for me.
Funkytownstopsix 3:06 PM - 13 April, 2011
One gig will pay for all VSL plugin, Me plugin, and Screenflow. Next gig will pay for x-1, nano pad and dicers.. I have all this stuff and my gigs paid for it. Times are hard and why pay for something you really don't need I understand that, but on the real your talking about peanuts. Pay a little more money have more tools to do more things.

I should have stuck to 1.9, VSL its a solid product until this last update as it will not play videos that it use to play and damaged a few them during analyzing, what's crazy is I can drag a copy of the bad video onto the screen and it will play. I can play them in quick time hell I can play them in ME but not though VSL. VSL has some issues to work out ME is far more stable and runs smoother.
DJ'Que 4:51 PM - 13 April, 2011
Believe me im very very very tempting to get M.E cuz of moving the screens and making them bigger. The transition dont come to my mind when im in my zone. Only if im making a mix dvd. I guess I could really get it cuz it will have my mixes more hotter. But the money aint the problem. I dont want serato to comeout with vsl 2.0 after I buy it.
Funkytownstopsix 5:40 PM - 13 April, 2011
:) well like you I was on the fence that was maybe more than a year ago had I waited I would be you waiting over a year for an update. Me is, a great investment and it too is improving day by day something that VSL use to do almost every other month. I hope VSL come out with something better too, but I won't hold my breath cause I will die.
DJCrank 6:15 PM - 13 April, 2011
Quote:
:) well like you I was on the fence that was maybe more than a year ago had I waited I would be you waiting over a year for an update. Me is, a great investment and it too is improving day by day something that VSL use to do almost every other month. I hope VSL come out with something better too, but I won't hold my breath cause I will die.

Same here, I had VSL for 9 months before I ever used a transition, I just scratched everything in. I was on ME 5mins and I am more into transitions now then I was before. I actually try to find transitions depending on the way I want to mix the next song. Im loving the side by sides and the spinning cubes. I have diffrent transitions for when I do blends etc.
howcome 9:43 PM - 13 April, 2011
I don't use anything but the basic transitions and even had someone complain when I did use the more advanced ones. I also was waiting for an update to VSL, but ended up buying ME a few months ago. Great investment.
ta2423 12:15 AM - 14 April, 2011
Quote:
I don't use anything but the basic transitions and even had someone complain when I did use the more advanced ones. I also was waiting for an update to VSL, but ended up buying ME a few months ago. Great investment.

What? peeps complained on transitions? wtf.
DJCrank 12:53 AM - 14 April, 2011
Quote:
Quote:

What? peeps complained on transitions? wtf.

I was thinking the same thing, they should be dancing not watching the screen, tell them to get a life.
Joshua Carl 1:04 AM - 14 April, 2011
these are the same folks that complain about "layering 2 songs on top of eachother when going to the next song"

they are out there.
djnak 11:22 PM - 30 May, 2011
Quote:
I could care less about all those extra transitions.
VSL gets the job done for me.

Maybe thats cause Vsl does not offer the ability to pick and choose which effects/transitions you want in your list....90% of the trans/effects in Vsl are garbage imo and lots in m.e. are not that great either but the ability to choose which ones I use or even d/l makes incorperating trans/effects into your set alot easier
djnak 11:25 PM - 30 May, 2011
Quote:
But the money aint the problem. I dont want serato to comeout with vsl 2.0 after I buy it.

That makes no sence if money aint the problem then why not buy it and just switch back if vsl upgrades? lol
djpuma_gemini 11:48 PM - 30 May, 2011
wish in one hand...
Naysayer 3:12 AM - 1 June, 2011
I'd say for me the biggest advantage of ME is quality. Once you realize that your videos look better on ME you should be sold I feel. Makes such a difference on hd TVs. Then you add on top of that the STABILITY and the latency adjuster and all the basics are offered better in ME. I dont use anything except dissolve as I think most effects are distracting and look like public access tv but I understand the transitions an effects are better too. Depends what sort of crowd you're playing to but I think as djs we get pleasure from seeing a neat FX and going "ooh look what my computer can do". I think most people in the bar are thinking "this looks like an iMovie home video".

At the end of the day 179 is a speeding fine where i'm from (literally to the dollar haha).
Dj Bugz 9:52 PM - 1 June, 2011
After reading all this.. I'm going to try ME due to the STABILITY and USING LESS RESOURCES.. i think this may actually help make things run smoother..

Downloading demo when i get home from work.

"Gotta pay to play"

- DJ BUGZ
Culprit 9:54 PM - 1 June, 2011
i just purchased my licence yesterday. Anyone having issues using quartz effects instead of a video? It seems even though I click link audio, it is responding to my internal microphone?
tomatoslice 11:12 PM - 1 June, 2011
Bugz it will DEFINITELY make things run smoother.

Quote:
i just purchased my licence yesterday. Anyone having issues using quartz effects instead of a video? It seems even though I click link audio, it is responding to my internal microphone?

that's because it is.

on the mac this should be the path to fix it.
system preferences > sound > input > choose line in
Culprit 11:35 PM - 1 June, 2011
Am I using this feature incorrectly?
Dj Nyce 2:33 AM - 2 June, 2011
Quote:
Am I using this feature incorrectly?

depends on the quartz file you are using. if you are using the ones included with ME, the SL ones are effected by sl audio level, sl audio spectrum, velocity and position.

where are you clicking 'link audio' at?
Culprit 3:55 AM - 2 June, 2011
I am loading the quarts into this window -> www.inklen.com

Then I am hitting the link to audio in this control window -> www.inklen.com
Dj Nyce 4:12 AM - 2 June, 2011
there is link crossfader, link cue fader and link upfader. all of these buttons map physical mixer controls to the software controls in ME. so for instance link upfader will have mixer upfaders control ME video and sl audio.
tomatoslice 5:15 AM - 2 June, 2011
pretty sure you have it right Culprit.
BUT the thing about some quartz files depending on the coding they will not respond well to any audio.

and like i said you just might be reading the internal mic input.
i know i had to switch it for recordings.

you know, now that i think about it...maybe to make it work better the key is to send an output from the mixer to the line input to get better audio for the quartz.
idk...just a theory worth testing tho.
tomatoslice 5:28 AM - 2 June, 2011
Nyce, the link to audio tab is in the control window. it's the tab above or behind the effects tab.
you may need to have a vid or quartz loaded for "link audio" to appear.
GeorgeMay 6:47 AM - 2 June, 2011
Quote:
Quote:

Feel that although I actually havent spun a "audio gig" in a while All Video All Night Everynight Baby!!

Quote:
make sure you don't have vsl running when ME is running or it will really slow your system down

How do u turn off VSL completely and just use ME..?
DjBoozie 8:52 AM - 2 June, 2011
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Quote:

How do u turn off VSL completely and just use ME..?

Open SSL, don't open VSL, Open ME the plug-in will look just like VSL with the 3 windows
DJCrank 11:58 AM - 2 June, 2011
I had a quartz file that allowed me to use the webcam through ME. Now for some reason it crashes ME and locks up the system. Crazy, it use to work fine.
dohreimee 7:57 AM - 22 June, 2011
do you have to own video sl to run mic emergency?
ta2423 8:02 AM - 22 June, 2011
No you can have the demo version to get m.e. running with ssl.
360loop 6:34 PM - 22 June, 2011
I Love Me Some M.E :-)
skinnyguy 4:21 AM - 23 June, 2011
1.7 is out =)
jbnyc 3:28 AM - 24 June, 2011
Quote:
1.7 is out =)

shhhh you're gonna get the VSL users mad! lol
djnak 5:07 AM - 24 June, 2011
Quote:

There is still vsl users hahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha jokes on them I guess
djcrap 1:47 PM - 24 June, 2011
Quote:
Quote:

There is still vsl users hahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha jokes on them I guess

hahahahha i think he meant pc vsl users...lmao

buy a mac
get ME
Funkytownstopsix 5:04 PM - 24 June, 2011
Quote:

buy a mac
get ME

Technically a PC user can us Mix Emergency if they install the MAC OSX on their PC(HACKA MAC). Funny thing is every PC that I have installed MAC's OSX works really well, once I find the video drivers that is,,,,,but those same PC Laptops barly work using the WIndows OS and I do mean barley.

Partition your drive and get the best of both worlds,,, if you can't afford a mac that is. I am an hard core PC guy but I am also a realist, you can do what I suggested above but save some time and buy a mac in this case only,,, Funk a Mac. I have a MAC & PC and a HACK A MAC all three run SLV smooth like butter...
Culprit 7:28 PM - 24 June, 2011
Quote:
Quote:

buy a mac
get ME

Technically a PC user can us Mix Emergency if they install the MAC OSX on their PC(HACKA MAC). Funny thing is every PC that I have installed MAC's OSX works really well, once I find the video drivers that is,,,,,but those same PC Laptops barly work using the WIndows OS and I do mean barley.

Partition your drive and get the best of both worlds,,, if you can't afford a mac that is. I am an hard core PC guy but I am also a realist, you can do what I suggested above but save some time and buy a mac in this case only,,, Funk a Mac. I have a MAC & PC and a HACK A MAC all three run SLV smooth like butter...

I did this for along time, and vsl on my old alienware mac osx still ran 10x better than my new macbookpro. Problem is its a big beast but it worked well. I couldnt get mix emergency to work with it tho.
Funkytownstopsix 8:17 PM - 24 June, 2011
I feel you Culprit.... I thought it was cool to buy a 17 inch... Wrong answer bigger is heavier and sometimes it wanted to slide off my uberstand.. Bigger is not always better. I would like to get a 13inch mac if they are working well with VSL to go even smaller. Not to mention they are cheaper :)
360loop 12:46 AM - 25 June, 2011
Your right I went from an 17" Studio PC Into an 15" MacBook Pro. But on the plus side of the 17" Mac Is 4 usb ports Vs. 2 usb for the 15"
Joshua Carl 1:51 AM - 25 June, 2011
and massive screen real estate (for all programs)
Culprit 3:32 AM - 25 June, 2011
Yes, I should have gotten the 17" just for the express card to use esata which worked better than fw800 as well.
djpuma_gemini 3:37 AM - 25 June, 2011
I love my 17" MBP
DjBoozie 1:33 PM - 25 June, 2011
Quote:
I feel you Culprit.... I thought it was cool to buy a 17 inch... Wrong answer bigger is heavier and sometimes it wanted to slide off my uberstand.. Bigger is not always better. I would like to get a 13inch mac if they are working well with VSL to go even smaller. Not to mention they are cheaper :)

My friend has a 17 inch PC and a uberstand and you know what he did to secure his... One word ... Velcro... Problem Solved!!!!!!
Culprit 7:15 PM - 26 June, 2011
Quote:
Quote:

My friend has a 17 inch PC and a uberstand and you know what he did to secure his... One word ... Velcro... Problem Solved!!!!!!

that uberstand is stupid man. im sponsored by odyssey, if i wasnt I would use the crane stand, but the odyssey folding stand is the business.
deejaychoice 10:33 PM - 26 June, 2011
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

that uberstand is stupid man. im sponsored by odyssey, if i wasnt I would use the crane stand, but the odyssey folding stand is the business.

Ive had every stand - CRANE Stands are the best Hands DOWN!
djpuma_gemini 10:48 PM - 26 June, 2011
Love my crane stand, holds the 17" with ease.
ta2423 1:41 AM - 27 June, 2011
LOL... Youre still using stands... My ish just floats where I want it.
Funkytownstopsix 1:02 PM - 27 June, 2011
Quote:

Damn,,,, why so hard on my uber.... It was the first and only stand i brought like 6 or 8 years ago... Works well for me as it a one peace flip and it's set type of deal. Crain looks cool but my concern is will I be able to see the mixer knobs since it sit under the mixer. I am 6 foot 5 ihches.

On another note DJ PUMA your Marvin Gaye edits are gold, good job. I hope you do some more Soul Train vids.
Joshua Carl 7:17 PM - 27 June, 2011
ive had 5 stands, Crane far and away, if ur concerned about the knobs you can tilt the vertical
portion back, and lower the part that holds the laptop.

I personally use the Z formation, and always put it to the side of my gear..
like so a1.sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net
djpuma_gemini 7:22 PM - 27 June, 2011
Yep, I only use the z formation, don't like the laptop in front of me and it's too high on the side in the normal orientation.
deejaychoice 12:51 PM - 28 June, 2011
Quote:
ive had 5 stands, Crane far and away, if ur concerned about the knobs you can tilt the vertical
portion back, and lower the part that holds the laptop.

I personally use the Z formation, and always put it to the side of my gear..
like so a1.sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net

What an elegant set up! where did you get your ttm57 decal?
Joshua Carl 7:40 PM - 28 June, 2011
thanks...

12inchskinz.com
On the 57 and the x-1
jbnyc 10:27 PM - 28 June, 2011
Quote:
thanks...

12inchskinz.com
On the 57 and the x-1

on top of what is the x1 sitting on? it looks perfectly level! great job!!
Joshua Carl 10:41 PM - 28 June, 2011
its the x-1 bag:
www.bhphotovideo.com

pretty much $40 everywhere you go.
a solid investment.
I just wish it was the slightest bit narrower... you cant get the turntable to sit flush
with it...its just 3/4 of an inch... but still.
jbnyc 11:27 PM - 28 June, 2011
Quote:
its the x-1 bag:
www.bhphotovideo.com

pretty much $40 everywhere you go.
a solid investment.
I just wish it was the slightest bit narrower... you cant get the turntable to sit flush
with it...its just 3/4 of an inch... but still.

it looks like it was the standard height when you sit it on top of the carrying bag,dope!!
Joshua Carl 11:35 PM - 28 June, 2011
yeah, the bad fits inside itself, and has big rubber feet on one side.
Watchwww.youtube.com

NOT MY VIDEO!!! HAHAHAHA
jbnyc 11:46 PM - 28 June, 2011
lol cool video tho..
ta2423 12:19 AM - 29 June, 2011
Quote:
yeah, the bad fits inside itself, and has big rubber feet on one side.
Watchwww.youtube.com javascript:void(0);

NOT MY VIDEO!!! HAHAHAHA

noticed you dont use road cases. Isnt the table/gear to low without them. The case sits to low for me with the case when in road cases. Had to makeshift a clean looking box to go under it to bring it up to height. I would probably buy an odessey for it if they made one up to height.
Found a wooden bread box at target, painted it black and it sits perfect height. I cut some holes in the sides to run wires through and dropped in a power strip.Keeps it clean with less wires showing.
i108.photobucket.com
Joshua Carl 12:53 AM - 29 June, 2011
serato.com

a bunch of us tall dudes have found inventive ways to get around that.
I have carpeted cases, and I hate the way the look in nice rooms.

that table sits about 5 inches above my belly button....perfect.
CutClass 4:42 AM - 18 August, 2011
I'm having issue using my Rane 68 with ME 1.5

1. I cannot seem to get the faders to be assigned to channel 2 + 3 as they're assigned to channel 1+2.

2. I cannot seem to map any effects to my controllers.

Can anyone help me?
jbnyc 4:55 AM - 18 August, 2011
Have you tried 1.7???
CutClass 3:43 PM - 18 August, 2011
Not Yet I have seen a lot of discussion on the forum noting that the 68 is not fully mapable i've managed tou use a Akai APC40 for the time being but would prefer if I could map the whole thing out on my 68 to be honest
tomatoslice 4:40 PM - 18 August, 2011
you can still save your mappings in 1.5 and jump to 1.7.

are you trying to assign in ssl or in ME?
it's common for people to mistake the 2.

if you are assigning in ME what key combination are you using?
it should be alt+left click (i believe).
Kepik 11:12 PM - 18 August, 2011
1.7 will recognize your "primary decks"

Thus if your primary decks are 2+3 then 1.7 will properly assign 2+3 for your channel faders.

I had the same issue back in 1.5 using the 68.
CutClass 3:01 AM - 19 August, 2011
Quote:

Thus if your primary decks are 2+3 then 1.7 will properly assign 2+3 for your channel faders.

Cool That sounds great :O)
CutClass 3:08 AM - 19 August, 2011
Quote:

Quote:
you can still save your mappings in 1.5 and jump to 1.7.

are you trying to assign in ssl or in ME?
it's common for people to mistake the 2.

if you are assigning in ME what key combination are you using?
it should be alt+left click (i believe).

I'm trying to assign in ME.

I just highlight the midi button and select the effect I would like to assign.
I can assign anything with a midi open mixer but not on the 68.

I would prefer if I could just map all effect just on the 68 but i've been reading that no midi outputs work once the 68 is active with Serato. Is this still the case once upgraded to 1.7???
tomatoslice 3:21 AM - 19 August, 2011
if the 68 is like the 57 you can not assign the knobs or buttons to ME.
but you can still use a midi device on the side.

i don't have or use a 68, so i can't tell you much about it.
inklen can give you an answer real quick tho.
Kepik 3:28 AM - 19 August, 2011
HenryGQ posted a major gripe about this.

Here's Inklen's reason to why:
www.inklen.com

Using the 68 with SL sets all the MIDI functions private to it. When you aren't using SL yes, you can use MIDI with other programs.

The workaround is to plug another USB to the 2nd port of the 68 to your laptop. You can map it from there.
tomatoslice 3:31 AM - 19 August, 2011
wait...so...

running a usb device on the side, like a nanokontrol, is NOT possible while using a 68 with ssl??
Kepik 4:15 AM - 19 August, 2011
no that is fine, but using the 68 as a MIDI device for 3rd party programs while using SSL won't work without plugging in the 2nd USB port from the 68.
CutClass 11:27 AM - 19 August, 2011
Makes sense Kepik.

All good for Home use but when playing out with other DJ's its a problem as it means I would have to take out more equipment defeating the whole objective of travelling light.

Serato / Rane I love them but NI (Native Instruments) / TRACKOR have such a open mind which allows DJ's to achive so much more as it can only mean their products our enhanced.

Sorry to say this but Rane you will have to up your speed as much as I love Serato DJ's do not like their creativity being limited.

That is what set us apart from others.

Guys yoiu have been fantastic.

I will let you know if it works out using 2 USB's
CutClass 8:05 PM - 19 August, 2011
Quote:
Makes sense Kepik.

All good for Home use but when playing out with other DJ's its a problem as it means I would have to take out more equipment defeating the whole objective of travelling light.

Serato / Rane I love them but NI (Native Instruments) / TRACKOR have such a open mind which allows DJ's to achive so much more as it can only mean their products our enhanced.

Sorry to say this but Rane you will have to up your speed as much as I love Serato DJ's do not like their creativity being limited.

That is what set us apart from others.

Guys yoiu have been fantastic.

I will let you know if it works out using 2 USB's

A true success guys thank you for all your help :)
CLo 12:10 AM - 22 August, 2011
Just made the switch to ME. I was on the fence bout layin down 179 for another Video prog, esp since I've had VSL a few months after it was released. All i can say is VSL is now retired until they catch up or make some changes. Can't believe the options - the media bar is a big plus. Now I don't have to take out external DVD and a vid mixer to play content when I don't have a video for said song. BIG UPs to this forum for all the info. Appreciate all you guys that offer your feedback and advice.

Always learnin'. C-Lo
djcrap 4:24 AM - 24 August, 2011
Quote:
Just made the switch to ME. I was on the fence bout layin down 179 for another Video prog, esp since I've had VSL a few months after it was released. All i can say is VSL is now retired until they catch up or make some changes. Can't believe the options - the media bar is a big plus. Now I don't have to take out external DVD and a vid mixer to play content when I don't have a video for said song. BIG UPs to this forum for all the info. Appreciate all you guys that offer your feedback and advice.

Always learnin'. C-Lo

i just did the switch too rest in peace VSL.......... but damnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnn inklen badly needs some more tutorial videos cause i just like any body else i hate reading manuals cause am stubborn like that i like to figure it out by my self before hitting that manual hahahahha lol
Henry GQ 5:27 AM - 24 August, 2011
Quote:

www.inklen.com

Using the 68 with SL sets all the MIDI functions private to it. When you aren't using SL yes, you can use MIDI with other programs.

The workaround is to plug another USB to the 2nd port of the 68 to your laptop. You can map it from there.

i still have a huge gripe with this. u dont spend premium money for a mixer and not have midi functions. ME has many features that i would love to map to the 68... but cant.. well i cant while using SSL. instead u have to run a 2nd usb cable. and hit the layer/shift button to go from one layer(ME) back to another layer(ssl). super lame and not condusive to my workflow. plus thats another usb cable to plug into the macbook. yay!!!

or just use a midi device. but why should i ? i have a mixer that was marketed as midi capable.... ummm what ?

ya..
tomatoslice 7:02 AM - 24 August, 2011
that is a serato's fault and not an inklen's.

have you mentioned it in the rane 68 section?
ta2423 9:02 AM - 24 August, 2011
Kicked up alot of dust if I remember correctly.
djcrap 2:26 PM - 24 August, 2011
Quote:

www.inklen.com

if i have 68 with denon-3700s is it possible to midi map some of me is Midi functions to the 3700s buttons ?
Kepik 4:31 PM - 24 August, 2011
Quote:

if i have 68 with denon-3700s is it possible to midi map some of me is Midi functions to the 3700s buttons ?

I would assume it would work as the DN-S3700s can be used as MIDI. Try it out yourself :)
djcrap 11:16 PM - 24 August, 2011
Quote:
Quote:

I would assume it would work as the DN-S3700s can be used as MIDI. Try it out yourself :)

just got m.e last night so it's still a steep learning curve for me cause i trying to figure out the ins and outs from the manual :-(

honestly if i was to do it or hack may into the midi section in the manual right now i wouldn't even have a clue to what am doing ahahahahahaha..lol so imma gonna wait till the first pages sink in first.
djcrap 11:17 PM - 24 August, 2011
^^^^ may = my
djcrap 2:13 AM - 25 August, 2011
Quote:
Quote:

yes it works i just figured it out :)

sweet now i don't need another midi controller i can map some functions on to my denons hmmmm basically a gonna erase all the scratchlive hybride mode midi functions on the denons and let my 68 handle scratchlive midi...ect which are mapped on my denon cause there is no point of having cue points on the denons and again two point on 68 etc. so now i will just map all mixemergency functions on to the denons
DJRADIORAHEEM 2:43 PM - 1 December, 2011
Can anyone tell me if there are some video tutorials on using ME with serato? I am new to video DJing and really clueless as to where to begin. I've been using scratch live for about 6years now and just bought ME, but I haven't been able to find any video tutorials on using the program. Any links or help would be a good look.
tomatoslice 3:36 PM - 1 December, 2011
aside from the feature videos they have on the site i have never looked for or seen any.
i'm guessing you've already googled for them.

you have any specific questions or problems?
and have you asked over at inklen?
DJRADIORAHEEM 3:56 PM - 1 December, 2011
No I haven't asked, but yes I've tried the search engines. I don't necessarily have any specific questions. I am pretty much at square one, so I just wanted to learn the basics:

Where do I load my videos? (into serato, just like I do my music? or into ME?)

If they are loaded into Serato, how does ME recognize them? (how do I get ME and scratch live to communicate or talk to each other, or do I not need to?)

Applying basic effects/transitions, and how start recording a mix, etc., etc.

I am much better at learning things hands on with a visualization (like from videos or from watching someone do it). That's why I was hoping for a few tutorials.

If anyone on here is interested in making one it be good looking out, I'd even throw them a few bills for they time thru paypal (just lmk).
DJRADIORAHEEM 3:58 PM - 1 December, 2011
In case it matters I am using ME, scratch live and 57sl
L2daGee 6:09 PM - 1 December, 2011
Just download and enable the VSL plugin for SL and ME will be setup automatically.
tomatoslice 7:21 PM - 1 December, 2011
Quote:
In case it matters I am using ME, scratch live and 57sl

that does help to know and definitely makes things easier if you have further questions.

there's a LOT to cover so as many people responding with what they can think of will help.

to answer your direct questions;
1) the videos,assuming you mean video files and not those you want to use for mp3s, will load just like an mp3 does. they load in SSL. you just add the videos to your serato library and place them in the decks to play them.
2) ME recognizes them the same way VSL does. it's just a plugin.
3) adding effects/transitions is done in the "control" window of ME. there are little tabs to switch to. you may not notice them at first but they are there.

i'm going from memory on this so i can't recall where it is but there's also a little "pin" symbol somewhere in a window that locks the program over ssl. it took me months to figure that out. i never knew until DaddyDog showed me.
there's various other things that are so simple in the design that are obvious but could miss, makes you feel real dumb once you figure it out.
you're going to want to know how to auto-switch transitions, remove transitions/effects, use of the media bank and much more, i can't think of it all. everything is just already set up on my comp without me thinking about it.

i can't believe there is no video on this. it's all so basic to me. maybe we could make one.
maybe this should go to the inklen site as well.
skinnyguy 8:20 PM - 1 December, 2011
you'll only need the vsl plug-in installed (demo version is fine) to import your video files into scratchlive. the box will have to be checked in your setup preferences to do so.

for playing videos, it isn't necessary to have the box checked.

to play videos along with ME, run ssl and run ME. make sure the "pushpin" is engaged in ME. this links ME to ssl.
360loop 8:35 AM - 5 December, 2011
Video-SL Still Not Worth $99 Bucks
Code:E 12:30 AM - 6 December, 2011
not yet
Dj Ace 5:26 AM - 6 December, 2011
Will be!
DJRADIORAHEEM 4:03 PM - 7 December, 2011
Thanks tomato slice & L2daGee, I will look into your suggestions and give the program a spin. I'll get back to you with any questions or issue I end up having. And sorry it took me so long to respond. I was out of state doing a few shows this past week, just got back home. Thanks again.
tomatoslice 9:01 PM - 7 December, 2011
radio raheem

why does that name sound so familiar??
tomatoslice 9:04 PM - 7 December, 2011
oh, i figured it out.

Fight The Power!!
dj.bigdes 8:19 PM - 10 December, 2011
Glad I found this thread!! I was about to purchase the VSL since it went on sale for $99. Looks like that would still be a waste of money!!
popnwave 10:36 PM - 10 December, 2011
For $99, future proofing your choice isn't a bad idea. I have both btw.
phatbob 2:57 AM - 11 December, 2011
I use ME all the time. Still glad I own VSL though. You never know who'll be on top in the future.

For $99 it's a bargain.
Code:E 3:59 AM - 11 December, 2011
Quote:
For $99, future proofing your choice isn't a bad idea. I have both btw.

agreed-ed 100%
360loop 3:53 PM - 11 December, 2011
All Ways Good To Have Your Backup :-) But ME Is The Best
djpuma_gemini 9:31 PM - 12 December, 2011
or if somehow a new ssl update breaks the ME /SSL integration.
Culprit 10:01 PM - 12 December, 2011
Quote:

That would suck
djpuma_gemini 10:08 PM - 12 December, 2011
2.2 for life. haha
Dj Nyce 10:17 PM - 12 December, 2011
for $99 i think it is an amazing value add and if you spin videos it would be foolish not to purchase at this price. even if you use ME, this would serve as a backup.
tomatoslice 10:40 PM - 12 December, 2011
99$ is a good price.
Code:E 3:04 AM - 13 December, 2011
Quote:

Im very worried about this possibility.

and yes i would would have VSL for a backup, but since ME and SSL are 2 different programs i am able to put them on 2 different monitors (which is how i run it right now) and I would loose some of my competitive advantage if i was forced back down to 1 monitor. And that would make me a very unhappy SSL user.
tomatoslice 5:23 PM - 13 December, 2011
even if they close ME/SSL i will be using 192.
and if they did close it = huge mistake. it's not good to cut off a customer base.
the more compatible a program is with others the larger your population of users.

personally, i'd start looking to other programs even faster. i'd be very inspired to consider vdj.
Code:E 8:33 PM - 13 December, 2011
Quote:
even if they close ME/SSL i will be using 192.
and if they did close it = huge mistake. it's not good to cut off a customer base.
the more compatible a program is with others the larger your population of users.

personally, i'd start looking to other programs even faster. i'd be very inspired to consider vdj.

Done the VDJ thing for years, and since my SL4 would work as a sound card for it, i would heavily consider jumping on it if i couldnt do video with serato anymore.
LJ_WOOLSEY 9:48 AM - 14 December, 2011
Serato wont cut out ME, WHY you ask well its easy they would just goto Traktor! and then make ME work on that and all the ME codes would work still from serato. Plus it makes healthy compition as now Serato REALLY have to up there game on new features to keep up with ME.

I do think serato need to steal some video staff from VDJ and start again on there windows version of video-sl, VDJ have windows covered well for video.
Code:E 8:31 PM - 14 December, 2011
Quote:
Serato wont cut out ME, WHY you ask well its easy they would just goto Traktor! and then make ME work on that and all the ME codes would work still from serato. Plus it makes healthy compition as now Serato REALLY have to up there game on new features to keep up with ME.

I do think serato need to steal some video staff from VDJ and start again on there windows version of video-sl, VDJ have windows covered well for video.

Im pretty sure on the ME forum they said it would be very hard for them to adapt ME for use with Traktor.
tomatoslice 8:42 PM - 14 December, 2011
yep
LJ_WOOLSEY 9:01 PM - 14 December, 2011
Hard not impossible!
DJ Soup 9:05 PM - 14 December, 2011
Pretty impossible unless they talk to Native Instruments and work out some kind of deal.
Code:E 9:14 PM - 14 December, 2011
Quote:
Hard not impossible!

If by not impossible you mean, hiring someone with detailed programming knowledge on how traktor works and building a new program from the ground up.
LJ_WOOLSEY 10:05 PM - 14 December, 2011
its that or make no money if serato blocked me from working. I supose we will see in time but i would be very suprised if serato did block it from working.
Culprit 1:32 AM - 15 December, 2011
Quote:
Pretty impossible unless they talk to Native Instruments and work out some kind of deal.

Word on the streets is Traktor is intrigued by mixing videos with their software but not interested in investing in the technology currently. This is from a pretty reliable source.

Then again, i was also told at NAMM 2011 by a reliable source at RANE that the SL1 was not going to be discontinued, and months later it was.

Anyways back on topic I guess
Dj Lion King 4:27 PM - 15 December, 2011
So I'm still debating on Buying ME instead of VSL because of everything I've heard. Id rather drop the 79 extra dollars on a better program. I'm hoping there are some updates coming to VSL that would match ME but who knows, it's all speculation at the moment.

I wrote an Email to ME asking about them price matching VSL for the month, but they wrote back saying they have no plans of doing that as of yet....

So VSL-$99 VS. ME $179.... things to think about!
tomatoslice 4:34 PM - 15 December, 2011
ME
they have better track record in many many ways.
LJ_WOOLSEY 4:40 PM - 15 December, 2011
For the UK

Me is £148.80
vsl is £65.34

So not bad price to buy both really.
DjBoozie 9:04 PM - 15 December, 2011
Quote:
So I'm still debating on Buying ME instead of VSL because of everything I've heard. Id rather drop the 79 extra dollars on a better program. I'm hoping there are some updates coming to VSL that would match ME but who knows, it's all speculation at the moment.

I wrote an Email to ME asking about them price matching VSL for the month, but they wrote back saying they have no plans of doing that as of yet....

So VSL-$99 VS. ME $179.... things to think about!

There's no real need to think about it truthfully... Believe me when I tell you (or the 1000's who think the same) Me Is a much better program when it come down to it
Culprit 10:33 PM - 15 December, 2011
Currently ME is a far superior product to VSL.
popnwave 3:08 PM - 16 December, 2011
ME has a much more active dev cycle at the moment. While there are few real bugs in my opinion, the additional filters that keep coming out are a def plus.
nickythedj 7:32 PM - 16 December, 2011
SLV was fun at 1st Then I grew up and switched to ME...
DJ'Que 10:49 AM - 17 December, 2011
Only for now. Time will tell. With namm next month. I think if serato blocked ME codes then they would gain more vj's. On hint could be why its $99 now. So its a catch 22. Either spend $99 now or next month pay $199 and risk me not working. Personally if I owned serato I would shut there code down. I cant believe me wouldnt do a $99 or $80 month. Thats being greedy. I still dont have ME and not in no rush to spend $179 and not know if the code will be dead come next update.
LJ_WOOLSEY 11:42 AM - 17 December, 2011
But video sl is shit!! Me pisses alover it BIG TIME.
DjBoozie 2:57 PM - 17 December, 2011
Quote:
Only for now. Time will tell. With namm next month. I think if serato blocked ME codes then they would gain more vj's. On hint could be why its $99 now. So its a catch 22. Either spend $99 now or next month pay $199 and risk me not working. Personally if I owned serato I would shut there code down. I cant believe me wouldnt do a $99 or $80 month. Thats being greedy. I still dont have ME and not in no rush to spend $179 and not know if the code will be dead come next update.

It doesn't or wouldn't matter if they "BLOCKED" there codes... Any upgrade above 2.0 doesn't run Video's with some issue no way.... So even if that was to happen. I know myself would care much cause I wouldn't use VSL anymore anyway....And do you think that Inklen is sitting there knowing that NAMM is next month and not coming out with something themselves. You guys are still sitting in the window waiting for your daddy to come home with the cigarettes he told you and your mother he was going to get over a year ago. And I hope he comes home next month or your little feeling are going to be crushed yet again.
djnak 7:33 PM - 17 December, 2011
Quote:
I cant believe me wouldnt do a $99 or $80 month. Thats being greedy. I still dont have ME and not in no rush to spend $179 and not know if the code will be dead come next update.

Why would they? M.e. is crushing the competition right now. That like Mercedes having a sale to compete with a sale at Kia...
DJ'Que 8:05 PM - 17 December, 2011
Cause if me was $99 and serato was $99 but ME suppose to be so much better, then they would sell more ME. So say serato sells 500 vsl codes for $99 but me only sells 50. If I was starting out and saw me @ $179 and vsl on sale for $99 im buying vsl.
DJ'Que 8:08 PM - 17 December, 2011
Quote:
Quote:

It doesn't or wouldn't matter if they "BLOCKED" there codes... Any upgrade above 2.0 doesn't run Video's with some issue no way.... So even if that was to happen. I know myself would care much cause I wouldn't use VSL anymore anyway....And do you think that Inklen is sitting there knowing that NAMM is next month and not coming out with something themselves. You guys are still sitting in the window waiting for your daddy to come home with the cigarettes he told you and your mother he was going to get over a year ago. And I hope he comes home next month or your little feeling are going to be crushed yet again.
I use 2.2 & 1.2 with no problems. So your saying you would quit vjing if serato blocked ME. Wow.
DJ'Que 8:14 PM - 17 December, 2011
If I was serato I would split the vsl codeing for windows and mac. Mac would have full features and pc less. Im waiting for namm b4 I jump to ME really.
DjBoozie 8:19 PM - 17 December, 2011
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

I use 2.2 & 1.2 with no problems. So your saying you would quit vjing if serato blocked ME. Wow.

How in the hell would serato block a program i have on my computer.... they gon hack into my system and block it that way
the SOUNDINSURGENT 9:38 PM - 17 December, 2011
Quote:
If I was serato I would split the vsl codeing for windows and mac. Mac would have full features and pc less. Im waiting for namm b4 I jump to ME really.

Why?? Why should I get less just cause I use a PC?? That doesn't even make sense......
djnak 9:44 PM - 17 December, 2011
Quote:
Cause if me was $99 and serato was $99 but ME suppose to be so much better, then they would sell more ME. So say serato sells 500 vsl codes for $99 but me only sells 50. If I was starting out and saw me @ $179 and vsl on sale for $99 im buying vsl.

yeah but they already know there is a good chance out of those 500 people a large chunk of them will eventually purchase m.e. if serato does not step their game up lol

you want a basic kia... its on sale right now 99 bucks
once you realize a caddy is much nicer ride... youll jump ship and spend the 179 anyways...
tomatoslice 10:25 PM - 17 December, 2011
if i had a choice of ME at $179 and VSL for $99, i'd go with ME without a doubt.
those that own Mix Emergency can understand. we probably have not made it clear enough how superior it is.

here's a for instance of how ME does not need to have a sale or may not and how pricing does not always matter; 8th wonder vs Smash.
8th is cheaper, Smash is better. which one should i go with? Should Smash go to a $10 pool because 8th is $10 pool?

until a new VSL is out $99 is a good price.
and like people say "you get what you pay for."
sorry serato, i know it's harsh but it's the reality.
djnak 2:35 AM - 18 December, 2011
Quote:

here's a for instance of how ME does not need to have a sale or may not and how pricing does not always matter; 8th wonder vs Smash.
8th is cheaper, Smash is better. which one should i go with? Should Smash go to a $10 pool because 8th is $10 pool?

Way better comparison than what I was trying to accomplish...lol
skinnyguy 2:55 PM - 18 December, 2011
what if the next version after namm, me (and maybe vsl) is $250?

me only works on mac, so that already limits inklen's customers. there are still pc users that can only get vsl.

if serato blocked me, i bet a lot of people wouldn't upgrade to the version that blocked me. and there would def be a ruckus. and people might even change to another dvs altogether. why risk that. but then again, me is only for mac users. and of the mac users, only the ones doing video.

at this stage in development in vsl and me, if i had to, i'd plunk $350 for me.

and if anyone currently not doing video even had the slightest thought of dabbling in video, vsl for $99 is a steal.
DjBoozie 6:47 PM - 18 December, 2011
Quote:
what if the next version after namm, me (and maybe vsl) is $250?

me only works on mac, so that already limits inklen's customers. there are still pc users that can only get vsl.

if serato blocked me, i bet a lot of people wouldn't upgrade to the version that blocked me. and there would def be a ruckus. and people might even change to another dvs altogether. why risk that. but then again, me is only for mac users. and of the mac users, only the ones doing video.

at this stage in development in vsl and me, if i had to, i'd plunk $350 for me.

and if anyone currently not doing video even had the slightest thought of dabbling in video, vsl for $99 is a steal.

Only if it ran on the PC's right... If not it would a waste or money... But a lot of people went out and got Mac's for a reason ... And not even pin pointing dj/vdj.. Mac have less hassle then PC's. And If the creators of ME were people who uses MAC's then why wouldn't they create a program to run (which they did) and then make money off of it sharing it with other who use a MAC?
Code:E 8:21 AM - 19 December, 2011
Quote:

+1
Funkytownstopsix 2:02 PM - 27 December, 2011
My only issue is I paid $200 for VSL and now it's $99 I would very much like a refund. Honestly that's the price VSL should be if not less $99. VSL at one time was the shit and now it's shit. Each version even after months of beta testing still end up having some kinda of issue. I can't count how many times I have had videos corrupt after building overviews,,,, I mean really just building an over should not corrupt your videos. Serato use to be a stable product what the fuck happened? True they may be coming out with some new software for NAMM but really how many would be jumping to buy it given the track record as of late. I personally hope ME comes out with their own complete video package with no need for Serato. I would by that all day.
LJ_WOOLSEY 2:37 PM - 27 December, 2011
So when u got ur tv or anything you got when they had a sale on tge next day you got your money back??? Stop bitching its a sale like any other sale shit happens.
Funkytownstopsix 4:48 PM - 27 December, 2011
LOL,,, now who's bitching, you bitching about me so called bitching,,,HUM? Come on woolsey just read, You must be woosley right about now(pun intended),,,,you missed the point. I said I was happy with the product when I bought it and for at least two years they were doing good things after that constint issues, for them to offer it for $99 today would be fair but I think they should sell it for $67. FYI I was just funning about the refund first video gig paid for VSL and then some.. Damn people are so serious these days. For them to drop the price as such does lead you to think though.

Oh to answer your question hell yeah,,,,,,, if the next day I will get my money back and I am sure 80% of the people on these forums would. Hommie don't play that
Funkytownstopsix 4:57 PM - 27 December, 2011
FYI for the record I wanted a refund from day 1 as they advertised that it would work on PC and did not at least not without a lot of work trying to configure it. Even PC's above the spec can not run VSL as advertised to this day. SO THAT ALONE SHOULD WARRANT HALF A REFUND... I do have VSL working on PC and VSL,,,,, my only issue is ME only works on MAC not PC. No bitching just stating facts....
LJ_WOOLSEY 5:11 PM - 27 December, 2011
Just winds me up that people go mad because serato had a sale they paid full price lol. Hey i didnt call you a fucking cunt did i? Jesus chill my man!
djpuma_gemini 5:21 PM - 27 December, 2011
PC's suck for dj use, take it how you want it. Cry all you want.
Mix Emergency is not on PC and won't ever be, heard it straight from Nick's mouth at VDJC.
VSL ran like shit for a year or so on PC.
Yeah some of you might have a pc that works, but that's some of you.

You never hear a person saying ME, VSL, or SSL is crashing on my mac, shutting down, running slow every day.
You get the occasional, oh SSL crashed today, or something like that.

As far as ME vs VSL. I have both, had vsl since it dropped, have had ME for over 2 years, when was the last time I used VSL mid 2010. Why, cause it is lightyears behind ME.

Now maybe an update is in the works and they're smart as hell to drop the price for $99 and get loads of people to buy it and I'm sure they have some announcement at Namm about VSL 3.0 or whatever, but we'll see if it can best ME or at least catch up.
Funkytownstopsix 5:29 PM - 27 December, 2011
@ Woosley,,,All good.... Me cool!!!!!! Never mad not once did I call you a BITCH well sublimity I did.

VSL the last few years is like pouring salt on an open wound... ME came along and removed the scar tissue and repaired to wound with plastic surgery. I am healed. YA DIG

@ Puma,,,,, Sup Puma : ).... nothing has changed on your side,,,, Your still defending mac as always yet again I say to you son,,,,, it's not a mac or pc issue that is my issue it's that if you state it is suppose work on PC then it should that has always been my stance. I would tell you to kiss my ass but you might like that type of shit..

Where is my AL GREEN.... Focker.... Been waiting and waiting.
Funkytownstopsix 5:30 PM - 27 December, 2011
I don't see ME saying it will work on PC so I know what I am getting YA DIG..

yeah i watched Superfly so I am in the Ya DIG stage today...
tomatoslice 5:46 PM - 27 December, 2011
software is, generally, non-refundable.

it sucks, but that is the industry.
djpuma_gemini 5:52 PM - 27 December, 2011
Quote:
@ Woosley,,,All good.... Me cool!!!!!! Never mad not once did I call you a BITCH well sublimity I did.

VSL the last few years is like pouring salt on an open wound... ME came along and removed the scar tissue and repaired to wound with plastic surgery. I am healed. YA DIG

@ Puma,,,,, Sup Puma : ).... nothing has changed on your side,,,, Your still defending mac as always yet again I say to you son,,,,, it's not a mac or pc issue that is my issue it's that if you state it is suppose work on PC then it should that has always been my stance. I would tell you to kiss my ass but you might like that type of shit..

Where is my AL GREEN.... Focker.... Been waiting and waiting.

Haha. True, why say it works for PC and then it doesn't (bad for biz)
Hell I wish they did. I'd have a pc for half the price of a mac.

Al green's coming. I forgot about it. haha.

Maybe I'll finish it before NYE, it was already 2/3 of the way done.
popnwave 6:16 PM - 27 December, 2011
You're better off emailing them directly than doing this is a public forum.

Personally if VSL was ever the "shit" it still is, if it works it works. Yes it hasn't evolved as quickly as ME has, but if you had issues follow the proper chain and only THEN should you take your complaint public.

The amount of time people spend complaining could have spent grabbing another gig or doing something more productive. I know I put off SSL a whole year so I could get a nice loaded 15" MBP (at the time) to avoid many of the pitfalls of buying a PC that didn't have a variable that the software wouldn't like.
Funkytownstopsix 7:39 PM - 27 December, 2011
I might sound a little bit like tomatoslice or Puma when I say this..... : )(Pun intended cause you guys go hard, I'm not that hard that's why I say a little) BUT!!!!!!!!!
Woooooooooohhh I am scared.....WTF are you the forum police,, I don't see a little record by your name? It has been well documented on this very forum (LOOK up my NAME) and to them directly for your information not just by me but others as well. What's right is right and what's wrong is wrong. I am not stating untruths but I am stating facts so what can anyone do to me, beside compared to what others have said my comments will go unnoticed. That is if your talking to me?

I live and America and I will say what, how I want and where I want. Yeah I am Vet and I will fight to make sure it says that way...... YA DIG. Damn!!!!!!!! Everybody act like they own stock in Serato since you want to be the fucking embassador tell them to fix their shit, you better write them first and go through the proper channels then come back and tell me how that works for you. LOL I will give you a heads up and tell you that shit didn't work for me.
djpuma_gemini 7:43 PM - 27 December, 2011
Social networking = a place to vent how we feel since 2000

I bitch about comcast on twitter and they pm within an hour trying to resolve my issue.

Why do I do it, cause I know they'll resolve my issues faster than sending an email etc.

no one likes to be called out in a public place and that's why many companies are on twitter to re-actively (not proactively) combat these issues.

You want some shit resolved, blast it on twitter. You will be heard.
Funkytownstopsix 7:58 PM - 27 December, 2011
+1 on what Puma said I didn't know he could be so calm...

To be honest all I want from Serato is when they push out a new update that my library does not get corrupted, or disappear and more video effects. My request is simple, that's all ME has over VSL other then the recording feature which is why almost everyone got ME. ADD that Serato and you have a winner.
djpuma_gemini 8:00 PM - 27 December, 2011
+1 on the non corrupted library and missing waveforms etc.

Stability over feature anyday. Which is what we used to have pre 2.0 days.
tomatoslice 9:46 PM - 27 December, 2011
Quote:

that's all ME has over VSL other then the recording feature which is why almost everyone got ME. ADD that Serato and you have a winner.

do you own Mix Emergency?

ME has a lot more over VSL.
it's not opinion, it's fact.
LJ_WOOLSEY 9:51 PM - 27 December, 2011
media bank is the winner for me as i just drop the venues adds in and then play an audio track every 15ishmins.
tomatoslice 9:56 PM - 27 December, 2011
i did get ME initially for the recording feature but when i used it there was sooo much more.
skinnyguy 12:18 PM - 28 December, 2011
Inklen does have their own complete video package. It's ME. No Serato product is needed to use it. It can be a total standalone program.
DjBoozie 1:36 PM - 28 December, 2011
Yeah your right. Serato if only use to load the song, but they can be dropped right into the windows
Funkytownstopsix 3:41 PM - 28 December, 2011
@tomatoslice yeah I own it have for a long time and uses of each product are entirely different for each dj. I agree it has more but what I want from vsl is to add what I suggested and to be stable so I can have two options. I have a media bank in SLV it's a folder with pictures & Videos :) LOL.

@skinnyguy I understand it can be used without serato but they don't have an intuitive file management system like sertao and that is needed to manage our content let's not forget about time code for cdj or turntables as of now I see no way to use it without Serato if so let me know I am ready for the change. If ME adds this then bye to Serato.

If you think about it ME should be good becasue they focuse on just the video aspect of it. VSL has to deal with time codes, file management ect ect. If ME stepped into that ring I am sure they would have issues as well. With that being said ME should just stay where they are and Sertato should improve their product making it stable and let ME handle the cool pretty stuff like they have been.
skinnyguy 1:58 AM - 29 December, 2011
Yep. ME doesn't even play audio.
dj_nonez 10:30 PM - 31 December, 2011
hhhmmm.. I started playing video 2 years ago used the vsl, but i noticed that ME is better than Vsl caused ME has a lot of transition effects etc... i hope vsl new update will be
better than the ME so people using serato don't need to buy anykind of video program. Then the problem of vsl is not working on mac osx lion.. i'm waiting to have the update. it's 2012 already still no new update of this program???? ANYWAY!! HAPPY NEW YEAR TO EVERYBODY.. Peace..
Dj Ace 12:04 PM - 1 January, 2012
Video sl works on lion already...I use it all the time
Dj Kaoss 3:55 PM - 17 January, 2012
Does ME work with the Rane 57 mixer? I've used VSL since it was 1st launched and I'm tired of the videos pausing and freezing up here and there (I use windows, not Mac).
lvmez 3:59 PM - 17 January, 2012
yes it does
Joshua Carl 4:00 PM - 17 January, 2012
ME is a Mac only Program.... its not the mixer, its the Operation System.

serato.com

I used VSL and a PC smooth as butter for years....
if your having issues with VSL you should certainly start a thread in the help section of the video forum.
Dj Kaoss 4:01 PM - 17 January, 2012
So basically I need to get a macbook pro and be done with it huh??? lol
Joshua Carl 4:03 PM - 17 January, 2012
personally I wouldnt try to run VSL on a PC that isnt pimped out for gaming.
(killer video card, ram, cpu.....even then... its a crapshoot of driver configuration)
Dj Kaoss 4:13 PM - 17 January, 2012
I tweaked mine out when I got it 8 gigs of ram the whole 9!!! It works good...just every know and then it slows down the video when I'm transitioning between the 2 videos but once I completely bring the vid in in catches back up!
Funkytownstopsix 5:52 PM - 17 January, 2012
I have PC working with VSL if doing a mix you would not be able to tell if mac or pc but the best advice and this is coming from a PC guy is to just buy a MAC, it saves you a lot of hassle to much tweaking to get a PC to work when you can pull a Mac out the box and it will work no issues. Even if you have good working pc you can't use ME as it a Mac only software.
John Cha 8:27 PM - 17 January, 2012
Love VSL! I Only use ME if I have to record a video mix. VSL needs to step it up on that part!
Joshua Carl 8:59 PM - 17 January, 2012
Quote:
I tweaked mine out when I got it 8 gigs of ram the whole 9!!! It works good...just every know and then it slows down the video when I'm transitioning between the 2 videos but once I completely bring the vid in in catches back up!

you might want to try some of the other configuration of the driver for your video card,
I went through about 8 before I found one that kept that shit running like butter.

I only use VSL when I have to these days.
My show would greatly suffer if i went back to using VSL in the clubs...
my investors, promoters,bartenders,dancers,fellow Local vjs, crowd and most importantly
the owners; the ones who sign my checks...
have come to expect a certain standard of performance on the video side of things,
I literally had the owner grab me last week (he is a TV Producer) and he made me sit down
and show him how I do all the things I do with the videos... and I would wager 70%+
was simple things native to ME, that arent availible in VSL

but thats just me, that argument certainly doesent hold water for everyone....
Everyone paints differently, and my brush and canvas isnt the same, or any better than the next guy,
VJ Justin Allen 10:57 PM - 17 January, 2012
Joshua...post a video of all the thing you can do. Personally I cannot see for the life of me the huge differences that would cause you to lose work.

Of course I use VSL and Modul8 together so maybe that's why and am not hurting using VSL.
nik39 11:02 PM - 17 January, 2012
Quote:
Personally I cannot see for the life of me the huge differences that would cause you to lose work.

That's probably because your personal results of work look very different and are on a different quality level.
phatbob 11:10 PM - 17 January, 2012
Quote:
Of course I use VSL and Modul8 together so maybe that's why and am not hurting using VSL.

Surely you can't Syphon VSL into Modul8 like you can with ME though?
Code:E 11:26 PM - 17 January, 2012
Quote:
Quote:

Surely you can't Syphon VSL into Modul8 like you can with ME though?

No you cant, Yet. I would be very interested to learn more about Justins setup.

and i would have to agree with Joshua Carl, the little extras you get out of ME make your videos sets that much better. I feel like im doing nothing but fading tracks with VSL but with ME theres so much me to my videos than just them fading back and forth.
Joshua Carl 11:30 PM - 17 January, 2012
Ive been doing the ME into Avenue for starters.
from that I have 2 webcam feeds I put on the screen one of my decks, one of the bartenders.
and when I do more edm stuff Ill have a bank of clips with it pushing to the bpm

I also record chilled mixes (not cuts, just blends) for the clubs off hours and get a good chunk of change for that....

every single one of my effects is tweaked out in the bass or velocity response adapter.
meaning, if the song changes... the effect changes... and if i dont like it, I have the parameters knob mapped on the x-1 so I can adjust it in real time
not just in 3 or 4 effects... all 50 effects...or how ever many they have.
also having the transition paramter knobb mapped is clutch.... and the mix develops
you can adjust how quick or slow the transition fires to match the music,

running thought 50 tvs in a venue with crazy cables in a few of my venues, the delay compensation is huge.... ive had the owner say to me, how come only your video are in sync with the music?

I know VSL has text and Image overlay.... but its pretty limited.
Ill render out a 1280x720 photoshop file and its 100x smoother... and I also can map the size and position parameters so I make text "shrink and grow" to the music using the mapped knob.

media banks.
overlays, effects, transitions, texts, all have 10x6 preset banks that are all mapable.
what I often do is have my 6 fav transitions mapped to buttons... then Ill change the transition in time with the changes in measure....

to be completely honest I dont want to give away all of my recipe book...
but thats just the tip of the iceberg...

I will say if simple transitions, and simple text and 2d image overlay is fine for you.
and your not trying just as hard to push the visual envelope as well as the audio...
or at least interested in making the visual aspect MATCH the audio intenity of the already
existing song.... then I think you would be more than happy with current version of vsl.

when I do video at mobile events, i could probably easily get away with VSL.
but in clubs. instant control of the vast effects and transitions allow your eyes to keep up with your ears and play "real" VJ (meaning... adjust the visuals in realtime to the DJs music)
Joshua Carl 11:34 PM - 17 January, 2012
I site the video for levels as a perfect example.
sure its a cheeky video.
but its pretty stagnant. compared to the huge build ups and vocal drops.

being able to adjust each effect, intensity, timing, wet/dry in real time....

well, theres a reason why if you look at the last year of my crooklyn video releases I dont do a whole lot of crazy crazy effects.... its honestly becuase I can do them in real time as i deem with ME.... and from what I understand... though CERTAIN PEOPLE WONT TELL ME, the next release takes that to a whole new place...
DJMark 11:36 PM - 17 January, 2012
Quote:
Personally I cannot see for the life of me the huge differences that would cause you to lose work.

I had already lost patience with VSL's lack of delay-compensation before I ever started using ME, though that's not what actually got me to switch (because that also wasn't in ME yet at the time).

The things that actually sent me to ME were performance and quality issues, and the automatic transitions. The other extra features were just a bonus.

Then I asked Inklen for the delay-compensation feature (something I'd asked for in VSL long before), and they put it into the next version about 15 minutes later.

For me to go back to VSL would be like a return to the dark ages. And every place I regularly play now, I *need* the delay compensation.
VJ Justin Allen 1:08 AM - 18 January, 2012
I use a second system for modul8 and have regularly feed 2 camera feeds and ScratchLive through this system. I use the X1 and have the entire second page set-up for what effects VSL has and it also controls Modul8 effects as well...all via midi. This also includes promotions, live twitter feeds, and text overlays or scrolls. I would say that the show differences between Joshua and myself...between anyone and myself, are different...because we all use different styles. Nothing wrong with that. I am better than some and not as good as others.

I love what ME has done and sincerely wish that VSL would do it as well. But I can also say that since I built my ScratchLive system I have never (knock on wood) had a system crash in a club...and I usually work 3 nights per week, every week.
Joshua Carl 1:10 AM - 18 January, 2012
good luck with your crash this weekend.... lmfao.

YOU know that how it goes down! as soon as you say something!
phatbob 1:11 AM - 18 January, 2012
Hardcore! ;o)
VJ Justin Allen 1:40 AM - 18 January, 2012
lol so true!
Code:E 1:41 AM - 18 January, 2012
Quote:
I use a second system for modul8 and have regularly feed 2 camera feeds and ScratchLive through this system. I use the X1 and have the entire second page set-up for what effects VSL has and it also controls Modul8 effects as well...all via midi. This also includes promotions, live twitter feeds, and text overlays or scrolls. I would say that the show differences between Joshua and myself...between anyone and myself, are different...because we all use different styles. Nothing wrong with that. I am better than some and not as good as others.

I love what ME has done and sincerely wish that VSL would do it as well. But I can also say that since I built my ScratchLive system I have never (knock on wood) had a system crash in a club...and I usually work 3 nights per week, every week.

With that second system you dont get lag in the video feed? what kind of capture card are you using? and i assume your capturing in HD (HD to me is over rated in clubs).

Im starting todo the twitter feed thing als, Im doing with a Quartz file. how are you doing it?
Code:E 1:42 AM - 18 January, 2012
*not capturing in HD.
Joshua Carl 1:51 AM - 18 January, 2012
Code, your not playing HD videos? (IE 1280x720)

I gotta tell ya,
(if in fact you arent) some, not all of, the spots have 60" and HD projectors.
all ran through extron scan converters...even some places I run into maybe 6
50" Leds via component via Hi-wire conversion...
and I play an HD video @ 80% via ME and it looks just as good as brodcast HD.
Even joe everyday comments on how they look.

I understand alot of the computers arent handling 2x HD files at once.
but most of the newer ones can.
(lemme know if u dont have any Ill send you a few to play with.. [NH])
VJ Justin Allen 1:53 AM - 18 January, 2012
Code:E,

Not capturing in HD. I am currently using an Extron 12x8 matrix, an Edirol V4, and an few other pieces like an Extron scan converter, AJA and Blackmagic converters and captures systems.. Basically I can direct multiple feeds into a composite screen and add them all together on the fly. So lots of lower thirds, promotion graphics, that kind of stuff. And because I am using the matrix switcher I have very little noticeable lag....mostly when I bring the video into module. Oh, I am using a

Honestly however if I have not started doing video 8 years ago with DVJ's I would not have gone this route...but it is kinda cool that my equipment has such a long life span, thanks to ScratchLive and VSL.
Code:E 3:35 AM - 18 January, 2012
Quote:
Code, your not playing HD videos? (IE 1280x720)

I gotta tell ya,
(if in fact you arent) some, not all of, the spots have 60" and HD projectors.
all ran through extron scan converters...even some places I run into maybe 6
50" Leds via component via Hi-wire conversion...
and I play an HD video @ 80% via ME and it looks just as good as brodcast HD.
Even joe everyday comments on how they look.

I understand alot of the computers arent handling 2x HD files at once.
but most of the newer ones can.
(lemme know if u dont have any Ill send you a few to play with.. [NH])

Not unless the videos that smashvidz or xtendamix put out are in HD resolution. pretty sure they are not. I also have ME set to 60 % i think. Im sure i could run higher but also run the bridge at the same time, and i dont want to stress my system too much. though i am running a early 2011 MBP 17inch with 8gb ram. I should be do to run it higher.

Also i would like to point out the club i do video at has 4 60 tvs 5 projectors and 4 smaller tvs 24 inch ish in size. Al LCD TV's. And all of these displays are hooked up via Composite video (the yellow cable for those who dont know) and every other club i played at had there video system hooked up though compiste also, so HD videos will not do any good.
Sure send me a few i would love to test to make sure i can run HD videos.
Code:E 3:37 AM - 18 January, 2012
Quote:
Code:E,

Not capturing in HD. I am currently using an Extron 12x8 matrix, an Edirol V4, and an few other pieces like an Extron scan converter, AJA and Blackmagic converters and captures systems.. Basically I can direct multiple feeds into a composite screen and add them all together on the fly. So lots of lower thirds, promotion graphics, that kind of stuff. And because I am using the matrix switcher I have very little noticeable lag....mostly when I bring the video into module. Oh, I am using a

Honestly however if I have not started doing video 8 years ago with DVJ's I would not have gone this route...but it is kinda cool that my equipment has such a long life span, thanks to ScratchLive and VSL.

So your serato video signal never actually goes into the second computer.
Dj Nyce 3:40 AM - 18 January, 2012
just copped an Extron VSC700, BBG6A and CLK100 for $158. sadly it's not the 700D with the SDI output. i could've used that. nonetheless $158 is an excellent price. big ups to ebay.
VJ Justin Allen 8:44 AM - 18 January, 2012
Quote:

So your serato video signal never actually goes into the second computer.

Oh, it does...when I want it to. That's whee the switcher comes in...I can bring it in and out at will...generating video overlay effects when I want...and keeping it separate other times.