Serato Software Feature Suggestions

What features would you like to see in Serato software?

Disable CTRL + /

DeezNotes 3:59 PM - 25 May, 2007
This is a dangerous key combo. I use CTRL + . and , a lot to set my cue points. One slip of the finger and your whole set/vibe/whatever is destroyed.

There's no quick way to recover either. Pressing the key combo again puts both songs at the beginning of the track instead of their previous play position (if play from start/first cue point is selected).

Something this dangerous should have the ability to be disabled IMO.
marx 5:59 PM - 25 May, 2007
do u mean u load the wrong track in the wrong deck? if so theres a lock function. where u can't load a track unless the record or cd is stopped.
DeezNotes 7:15 PM - 25 May, 2007
I know there's a lock function. I move too fast to use that option. This isn't to prevent using the wrong arrow key, it's to prevent the shortcut key that swaps tracks on each deck. It's right next to the cue point keys and is very uncool.

If you've never pressed it, try it out and see how you'd like it to do that live during your set.
Serato, Forum Moderator
Sam 9:07 PM - 25 May, 2007
another interesting question is...
who uses the ctrl + / combo, and what for? (i.e. under what circumstances)

perhaps the instant double feature makes it redundant....?
marx 9:12 PM - 25 May, 2007
i'm gonna try it out...i've been lucky enough to not have this happen to me.

but i have loaded a song in the wrong track though.

Quote:
ctrl + / combo

what does that do??
SUBSTANCE 9:40 PM - 25 May, 2007
^it switches the songs over (song A appears on Deck B and vice versa)

yes, I made this horrible mistake (Cntrl /) last week for the first time (on the radio no less!) I regularly set my cue points as I'm playing, so the potential is literally one key away all night. As someone who uses the 'lock playing deck' feature precisely to avoid a similar situation, it would be good to turn Cntrl / off.
marx 5:16 AM - 26 May, 2007
damn i can't believe its never happened to me. i tried it tonight holy shit that shit sucks. u got my vote for a check box to disable this feature. let the voting begin.
marx 5:16 AM - 26 May, 2007
+1
DeezNotes 3:14 PM - 26 May, 2007
Quote:
damn i can't believe its never happened to me. i tried it tonight holy shit that shit sucks. u got my vote for a check box to disable this feature. let the voting begin.

LOL! I told you it sucks. It's crazy cause it happened to me once when I first got Serato. I brought this up to a friend and days later I hit the key at a gig.

Bringing this issue up will probably have people subconsciously hitting this key now that they know what it does.

Furthermore, I don't see how instant doubles makes this redundant at all. The tracks start from the beginning (not from the current point) and I don't think CTRL Z does anything to help either. I don't use lock playing deck, so I would rather not have this option tied to that option.
cappinkirk 7:10 PM - 30 May, 2007
switch input
SUBSTANCE 10:29 PM - 30 May, 2007
^switch input is a workaround once you already made the mistake, true.
SUBSTANCE 12:43 AM - 31 May, 2007
^... but not if you have 'play song from start' or play from first cue point' selected on your setup.
cntrl / will start a song from the beginning which is a very audible mistake.
DeezNotes 3:52 AM - 31 May, 2007
Does anyone use this feature?
Serato, Forum Moderator
Sam 8:18 PM - 7 June, 2007
Anyone?
cappinkirk 8:34 PM - 7 June, 2007
it swaps the tracks? if this is correct then this feature should have a disable option because of it's risk. there are already like 4 ways to switch inputs if you have a ttm57 anyways (switch input, reverse fader button, channel swap, or change the input knob (D or A 1234), i guess a fifth one doesn't hurt.

you don't want people to be scared to push a combo! serato should be fun not scary
Serato, Forum Moderator
Sam 2:59 AM - 12 June, 2007
I personally think this feature is now redundant. I'm waiting for someone to come along with a reason to keep it.....
cappinkirk 2:15 PM - 12 June, 2007
lets KILL it!!!!
DeezNotes 2:17 PM - 12 June, 2007
Quote:
I personally think this feature is now redundant. I'm waiting for someone to come along with a reason to keep it.....

How is it redundant when it always starts tracks from the beginning? To me, that's one of the really bad things about this feature... there's no way to back out of it.

If you wanted to keep it, I'd add the SHIFT key to that combo to prevent it from being pressed accidentally.

I'd like to know if anyone out there even uses it at all though... and how? I used it last week to move a track to the other side, but the track wasn't playing and it wasn't live (and there was nothing on the opposite deck). It may have been just a convenience thing at the moment.
cappinkirk 2:34 PM - 12 June, 2007
if ctrl + is add cue point then control - should be delete cue point
cappinkirk 2:35 PM - 12 June, 2007
although i would like a cue point lock cos i accidentally delete those once in a while
d'OH!
DeezNotes 3:25 PM - 12 June, 2007
Quote:
if ctrl + is add cue point then control - should be delete cue point

CTRL ,
CTRL .
CTRL 1-0

are to add cue points.
cappinkirk 3:27 PM - 12 June, 2007
i stand corrected thank you DeezNotes i misquoted from the top of this thread (didn't see the ".")
Serato, Forum Moderator
Sam 12:43 AM - 17 June, 2007
Quote:
How is it redundant?

Well, if there isn't any practical use for it, we don't need it at all. I used it in the early days to get both tracks over to the other decks, but now instant doubles is much better for doing this. I did use it last night, I was trying out some scratches and wanted to practice with my bad hand ... but it completely stopped the music, it's a lazy way to do it, I would be happy with having to do it via instant doubles.
SUBSTANCE 5:33 AM - 17 June, 2007
haha... props on practising your 'bad hand' scratches still. Everyone these days is rocking the 'play-on-1-deck-and-scratch-with-my-good-hand-all-night' styles...
DeezNotes 5:00 PM - 17 June, 2007
Quote:
Quote:
How is it redundant?

Well, if there isn't any practical use for it, we don't need it at all. I used it in the early days to get both tracks over to the other decks, but now instant doubles is much better for doing this. I did use it last night, I was trying out some scratches and wanted to practice with my bad hand ... but it completely stopped the music, it's a lazy way to do it, I would be happy with having to do it via instant doubles.

The only use for it that I can see is the exact purpose you used it for, which happened to be a similar reason I used it for last week.

Instead of getting rid of it, how bout we just add SHIFT to the key combo to prevent mistakes? This way we keep the feature, but prevent it from interrupting live sound if it is accidentally pressed when making cue points.
Serato
Ronan 10:59 PM - 19 June, 2007
What if we disabled the play from start part of the function.

Then you could switch sides on the input, the virtual decks and the mixer (57). I'm not sure of the exact usefulness of this but I think the potential is good...

Then if you push it by accident you can either push it again, keeping the same playback position, or slide the mixer across.

I think the advantage of this function is it's equivalent to switching the inputs and the channels on the mixer in one move. Thus scratching with one deck is made easier and more intuitive.

Finally, I'm in favour of adding shift to the key combination. ctrl + / isn't really a move I can do one handed anyway, so it may as well be ctrl + shift + /.
DeezNotes 1:52 PM - 20 June, 2007
Quote:
What if we disabled the play from start part of the function.

That should help out making HUGE mistakes. What would be the emergency option... the same key combo or CTRL-Z? If not CTRL-Z, what would CTRL-Z do? If you like my idea below... no need to answer this question.

Quote:
I think the advantage of this function is it's equivalent to switching the inputs and the channels on the mixer in one move. Thus scratching with one deck is made easier and more intuitive.

I had a gig where a turntable went bad and I had to mix with one deck (for the first time ever). Using this key combo didn't help me one bit. Now, if this key combo activated the input reverse switch at the top of the screen... THAT would be something different. I was looking for a shortcut key to that function, but I don't think one exists. I'd like to replace the current function with the input reverse function (the toggle switch at the top of the screen) to make things easier if mixing with one turntable. It seems like no one uses the current function anyway?

Quote:
Finally, I'm in favour of adding shift to the key combination. ctrl + / isn't really a move I can do one handed anyway, so it may as well be ctrl + shift + /.

I guess it depends on if you're Mac or PC, cause PCs have a CTRL key on the right side.
DeezNotes 6:09 AM - 29 June, 2007
My bad. According to the help section, CTRL SHIFT / toggles input reverse. Soooo, disabling CTRL / (if no one uses it) would be the solution if everyone agrees.
Serato
Ronan 6:29 AM - 29 June, 2007
no you are right.

'equivilent to switching the inputs and channels on the mixer in one go'

If we got this feature would people still need the other, existing features?
DeezNotes 7:31 AM - 29 June, 2007
I don't think so.

The input reverse is crucial for one-turntable mixing. I got caught in a jam once where I had to use one deck and I got real familiar with that switch.

I can't see a reason to use CTRL / except for convenience, but instant doubles does *something* similar. I think the risk is too great to keep the CTRL / feature (especially when no one has stated that used it except for Sam and I when we were just being lazy while practicing).
nik39 3:46 PM - 1 July, 2007
Okay, I think we need to differentiate between these two functions:

1. Swap tracks from decks, CTRL+/
2. Input reverse, CTRL+SHIFT+/

We should not get rid of "Input reverse" as it can be crucial if one deck is not working correctly. Mind that it is already using the proposed CTRL+SHIFT+/

Sam, you said

Quote:
Well, if there isn't any practical use for it, we don't need it at all. I used it in the early days to get both tracks over to the other decks, but now instant doubles is much better for doing this.

What does swap decks have to do with instant doubles? It works very different.

* Instant doubles just copies the track from on deck to the other. In abs mode it does not copy (obviously) the playposition. In rel mode this can be used to spin with one deck only (similar, but not the same as "input reverse").

* Swapping tracks simply swaps the playing tracks from both decks. In abs mode both tracks will jump their position (unless the needle position is exactly the same). In rel mode both tracks are restarted.

So actually swapping tracks is quite useless right now.

Improvements for swapping tracks?
In abs mode: I cant see any need for this function.
In rel mode: It could be quite helpfull, if the playhead is swapped as well (and the pitch, etc.), so that the track keeps on playing where it was. If swapping tracks would be implemented this way I see a major benefit compared to the way how "instant doubles" with one deck works. The problem with instant doubles is, that (lets assume you work with one deck, the right one, left deck is in internal mode) if you copy the currently playing deck from the right to the left deck, and you want to load up the next track you have to previously move the cross fader to the left deck. At that moment you will hear an increase in volume as left+right deck are playing exactly the same track at the same position, if you are lucky you might hear a flanger, neither is desired.
But if you use the "swap tracks" function (playposition is swapped etc.) you can safely put the cross fader in the middle, press "swap tracks" and the song is playing uninterrupted on the left deck without any of the previously mentioned negative artifacts like doubled volume/flanger.
Serato
Ronan 1:12 AM - 2 July, 2007
Quote:
But if you use the "swap tracks" function (playposition is swapped etc.) you can safely put the cross fader in the middle, press "swap tracks" and the song is playing uninterrupted on the left deck without any of the previously mentioned negative artifacts like doubled volume/flanger.

Agreed.

The toggle input reverse option could still be useful, and is less likely to be destructive to the mix, especially if you're only using one deck.

Assuming we implement the improvement to swap tracks function, we need to come up with a good way of providing keyboard shortcuts to these functions. (you'll recall this discussion is titled 'disable CTRL + /)
DeezNotes 10:34 AM - 2 July, 2007
Sorry for the confusion. The confusion came into play when I was thinking of adding a key modifier to CTRL / which would prevent it from being activated if setting cue points. I immediately thought about SHIFT, but it's already in use for a very useful feature.

CTRL / (swap tracks) has its benefits, but the list is very short. I understand completely the benefits you listed nik, but as you said volume, EQ and pitch come into play when you want to swap tracks (and key lock assuming it transfers that as well).

I think what Sam was saying about instant doubles wasn't a comparison or replacement of features, just an alternate way of doing a certain task. Let's say I want to "switch hands" to my "good scratch hand." I have my next song highlighted (and maybe playing). I can instant double the live track to the other side (very quickly) and load my next (highlighted) track to my good side. To me, it's much safer and natural to do it this way. I do this all the time and I avoid the negative artifacts by moving the fader over really fast. No one usually notices.

Swap tracks has only been useful when being lazy and not playing live. It's a cool feature to have because it's a task which can be easily executed by a keystroke. It would be nice to either improve it, add a key modifier or the option to disable it. If you option to disable it, that may open the flood gates of other key combos to disable... maybe?