Serato DJ Pro General Discussion

Talk about Serato DJ Pro, expansion packs and supported hardware

4 deck support for Numark V7

Kmxorbit 10:57 PM - 12 January, 2011
Now that we have the Numark NS6 in the pipeline with 4 decks control,
I think (hope) that the V7 also will get 4 decks support now.
DJ Cs 11:05 PM - 12 January, 2011
+1

I think the V7's have so much upside to them for the market if supported and marketed correctly.

I think the one thing hobbling them AT THIS POINT is ITCH.

Don't get me wrong, it's a phenomenal software, but can really make the V7 and other ITCH controllers shine with some of the SSL attention, namely Bridge and possibly Video support.

A sampler implementation would be nice also :)

Just my wish-list...so no flaming.
BadBoyChubs 11:34 PM - 12 January, 2011
It is simple make the X7 into an Itch procduct and u will have ur 4 decks
DJ Cs 11:35 PM - 12 January, 2011
Hoping they follow your logic.
Ragman 12:31 AM - 13 January, 2011
Quote:
It is simple make the X7 into an Itch product and u will have ur 4 decks

I think complication is on the computer and software (Itch) side.
Kmxorbit 9:35 AM - 13 January, 2011
Agree. I thought I've read that somewhere in this forum when the V7 came out together with the DX.

Now that they will produce the NS6, I hope the V7 will be on the same boat when it comes to that...

And the X7... That's going to be a tricky question if it ever will be produced. Hopefully NAMM brings some answers to that.
nik39 10:25 AM - 13 January, 2011
Doubt that it is going to happen. IIRC on Skratchworx it has been said that there are technical limitations why 4 decks using one computer and 2 V7's does not work :(
DjBrianDowling 11:07 AM - 13 January, 2011
I think all this talk about 4 decks is starting to get sill, most people can just about manage 2 decks so never mind 4. I think the best situation is 2 decks and a sampler
Xtianw 11:25 AM - 13 January, 2011
id rather have the bridge for itch.

lets think about this for a moment. who uses 4 deck setups the most (and imo the most effectively).

minimal techno dj's

now if you've played minimal techno in 4 decks in traktor, you know that 90% of the time you have 2-3 decks on loops while youre playing at least 1 record. fading stuff in and out. messing with eq's to kind of make your own song.

why settle for 4 decks when you can have 2 decks and 20 clips/tracks in ableton going with the bridge? all synched just like traktor. only WAY more powerful.

id rather see them get the bridge out tbh. it does everything a 4 deck setup can do. only WAY better.
djcerla 11:36 AM - 13 January, 2011
Quote:
id rather see them get the bridge out tbh. it does everything a 4 deck setup can do. only WAY better.

well said

even though "traditional" style DJs like me would enjoy the chance to frop the occasional acapella over a transition.
djcerla 11:36 AM - 13 January, 2011
*drop
DJ Urkel Dee 1:08 PM - 13 January, 2011
+1 although I hate to admit it I feel the V7 is already at it's peak... It's a GREAT piece of gear but with the lack of updates it might be a lost cause to think there is something else in the pipeline for the V7...
DJ Cs 1:37 PM - 13 January, 2011
Quote:
+1 although I hate to admit it I feel the V7 is already at it's peak... It's a GREAT piece of gear but with the lack of updates it might be a lost cause to think there is something else in the pipeline for the V7...

If so, that is a slap in the face as far as I'm concerned. That is a brand new controller and should be given the ability to use new features just as well as the new controllers.

Samplers, video, 4 deck support, Bridge and effects can be implemented in software. Anyone not aware of that fact is seriously deluding themselves.

The thing that is hobbling this for the Serato/Numark implementation is more than likely licensing issues...maybe with Rane or some other.
I1Kirm 1:47 PM - 13 January, 2011
Maybe it's just to heavy for the CPU to process info from 2 platters, mix-down 4 tracks and apply 4 effects at the same time...
Perhaps that's the reason they didn't include spinning platters on the NS6
DJ Cs 1:50 PM - 13 January, 2011
Quote:
Maybe it's just to heavy for the CPU to process info from 2 platters, mix-down 4 tracks and apply 4 effects at the same time...

Possibly, but I think they created the NS6 to capture the portable controller market rather than make the V7 take a hit.

It almost looks like they are stepping on their own toes with some of their releases, Or at least hurting their new customers that bought new controllers from their collaboration last year.
I1Kirm 1:52 PM - 13 January, 2011
Quote:

Sry, make that 8 possible effects (2 effect banks running on 4 channels at the same time)
djcsmv 2:00 PM - 13 January, 2011
ok I found this from a serato mod in the help section

Quote:
Hey kfir osadon,

You can not have four deck control with the v7s. Currently (key word = currently), the only four-deck ITCH controller is the Xone-DX.

With your second question - The Bridge for ITCH is definitely something we are looking at doing, however we do
Kmxorbit 3:04 PM - 13 January, 2011
+1. I've read it also somewhere on this forum it was not a definitive or hardware limitation.

Quote:
Quote:

well said
even though "traditional" style DJs like me would enjoy the chance to drop the occasional acapella over a transition.

I'm (currently) not interested in the bridge, but like DJ cerla mentiones, the occasional acapella, short transition bridges, and/or special effects you want to drop in...

Respect for the DJ's who think that a 4 deck setup is overkill, but then... there wouldn't be a DX or an S4 on the market, would it?
nik39 3:09 PM - 13 January, 2011
Quote:
+1. I've read it also somewhere on this forum it was not a definitive or hardware limitation.

That's good. I hope you're right :)
kraal 3:29 PM - 13 January, 2011
Quote:
Quote:

That's good. I hope you're right :)

actually i read the oposite that it is a communication thing that keeps it from happening
skratchworx 3:47 PM - 13 January, 2011
My info is that it's an issue with ITCH addressing 2 separate audio interfaces.

With no mention of the X7 in the new Numark NAMM PR, it's safe to assume that it's probably on hold for a bit.
Kmxorbit 4:09 PM - 13 January, 2011
Quote:
My info is that it's an issue with ITCH addressing 2 separate audio interfaces.

If it's just an issue with addressing, then it is solvable by software.
Quote:
With no mention of the X7 in the new Numark NAMM PR, it's safe to assume that it's probably on hold for a bit.

I guess you're right. pity, if so....
dj56_56 5:16 PM - 13 January, 2011
My type of subject but some here.. I don't care for..
@Xtianw, you hit it dead on the head... thanx for your expression

Let me give you some insight to the V7 4 deck thing/topic
I have experimented with both of my V7s by connected them to my powerful XPS 1530 laptop and got the BLUE SCREEN OF DEATH. Too much processing power also I have to uninstall/re-install the drivers.

X7.. I noted that "its possible that it isn't coming" but the purpose of the X7 with the V7 was for 2 computers not 1. (check the stats anywhere on the web)

To move along, I agree to work with 2 computers with my V7s, but now since the NS6 will be coming out. I will buy that and save my V7s other venues. But my setup is going to look more dope.

Sampling, I just use VDJ sampling capabilities in the background via midi from my DDM4000 through an additional sound card. That way, it is not messing with my V7 soundcard and it is also on a seperate channel line.
DJ Cs 7:46 PM - 13 January, 2011
Quote:
My type of subject but some here.. I don't care for..
@Xtianw, you hit it dead on the head... thanx for your expression

Let me give you some insight to the V7 4 deck thing/topic
I have experimented with both of my V7s by connected them to my powerful XPS 1530 laptop and got the BLUE SCREEN OF DEATH. Too much processing power also I have to uninstall/re-install the drivers.

X7.. I noted that "its possible that it isn't coming" but the purpose of the X7 with the V7 was for 2 computers not 1. (check the stats anywhere on the web)

To move along, I agree to work with 2 computers with my V7s, but now since the NS6 will be coming out. I will buy that and save my V7s other venues. But my setup is going to look more dope.

Sampling, I just use VDJ sampling capabilities in the background via midi from my DDM4000 through an additional sound card. That way, it is not messing with my V7 soundcard and it is also on a seperate channel line.

Can you explain the setup you're using with the DDM400 with VDJ and the V7's, as I have that same setup?

To say it can't be done (4 deck support) via software is a little stretch. It may be out of the scope of what they want to focus on, but can definitely be implemented.

I mean VDJ is licensing or using their technology to implement the spinning platters AND letting you have an infinite amount of decks (as many as your system can handle). This is not even addressing the sampling and video.

Obviously that's a whole other discussion and if Bridge is implemented correctly, would go a long way to cater to the crowd wanting 4 deck on the NS7 and V7's.

One thing is certain, if it is requested by the community or industry, it will be adopted in some form or another either in ITCH or by another company.
skratchworx 10:18 PM - 14 January, 2011
I did have a thought about this alleged issue of addressing 2 interfaces. Virtual DJ 7 allows you to do it as a standard feature. I don't have a pair of V7s to try it out though. I wonder if it's because if you attached identical interfaces to a computer, it may well have an issue telling them apart.
DJ Quartz 10:27 PM - 14 January, 2011
But USB works with an identifier ,no? So if you connect the same type of device to two different ports, it will have a unique ID.
DJ Cs 10:39 PM - 14 January, 2011
Quote:
I did have a thought about this alleged issue of addressing 2 interfaces. Virtual DJ 7 allows you to do it as a standard feature. I don't have a pair of V7s to try it out though. I wonder if it's because if you attached identical interfaces to a computer, it may well have an issue telling them apart.

Hmmm...good question.
djcsmv 10:47 PM - 14 January, 2011
I don't have my other v7 to test but looking at the denon 3700 manual when both are plugged in it recognizes them both under audio midi setup so I couldn't see why not, but i think itch will get confused as the mapping is for 1 interface
Ragman 12:20 AM - 15 January, 2011
Quote:
But USB works with an identifier ,no? So if you connect the same type of device to two different ports, it will have a unique ID.

That's why I think it's more about how Itch was coded and how it handles USB.
DJ Cs 12:21 AM - 15 January, 2011
Quote:
Quote:

That's why I think it's more about how Itch was coded and how it handles USB.

+1
Ragman 12:26 AM - 15 January, 2011
Cs are you thinking like me that maybe Serato bit off more then they could chew when Numark first introduced the V7. They probably thought it would be something the Itch Dev team could tackle (getting 4 decks > 1 laptop), but when you're using another programs (SSL) source code all kinda unforeseen issues come up. That's also probably why Numark blinked on the X7. This is all pure speculation of course.
Ragman 12:27 AM - 15 January, 2011
4 decks > 1 laptop from 2 decks layered that is.
DJ Cs 12:36 AM - 15 January, 2011
I'm thinking they they either underestimated the users that the V7 would attract (vinyl guys expect high performance) or like you said they bit off more than they can chew.

I think it can be done and has been done, but the V7 is a beast of it's own to implement correctly. A hybrid of a controller and a standalone turntable.
djcerla 3:17 AM - 15 January, 2011
Quote:

What about plugging in just one V7 (USB) and transferring audio data to the second V7 via the Ethernet connection?

That type of link should be fast enough to transmit audio and control data simultaneously.
DJ Cs 3:24 AM - 15 January, 2011
Quote:
Quote:

What about plugging in just one V7 (USB) and transferring audio data to the second V7 via the Ethernet connection?

That type of link should be fast enough to transmit audio and control data simultaneously.

My thinking as well.
dj56_56 4:06 AM - 15 January, 2011
Quote:
Quote:

Quote:

My thinking as well.

Not going to work... I just told you I've done it.. Now, with some Denons (DN HS5000 in particular) it worked with VDJ but DJ Cs... try it and see what happen at your own risk.

@DJ Cs, to respond to you regarding VDJ sampling hookup... Private Message
DJ Cs 4:12 AM - 15 January, 2011
Quote:
Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

My thinking as well.

Not going to work... I just told you I've done it.. Now, with some Denons (DN HS5000 in particular) it worked with VDJ but DJ Cs... try it and see what happen at your own risk.

@DJ Cs, to respond to you regarding VDJ sampling hookup... Private Message

Must have misread your post earlier. I did see that you got a blue screen on a PC when you tried this.
djcerla 10:11 AM - 15 January, 2011
Quote:
Not going to work... I just told you I've done it..

are you a Serato developer with access to firmware?
Kmxorbit 2:03 PM - 15 January, 2011
Actually, I wouldn't even mind to use a 2nd USB bus for 2 extra V7's if that was is a requirement to make it work.

It would make the V7 the only expandable Itch-system to 4 decks with 4 real controllers.

If numark - Serato read this, maybe their sales managers see extra income for their V7 customers?
DJ Cs 2:13 PM - 15 January, 2011
Quote:
Actually, I wouldn't even mind to use a 2nd USB bus for 2 extra V7's if that was is a requirement to make it work.

It would make the V7 the only expandable Itch-system to 4 decks with 4 real controllers.

If numark - Serato read this, maybe their sales managers see extra income for their V7 customers?

I'd be one of them.
dj56_56 7:06 PM - 15 January, 2011
Tell you the truth, it can be done. How? Beside on the same theroy of VDJ.

1. deck 1 and 2 sounds can throughput at deck A soundcard and deck 3 and 4 sounds can throughput at deck b soundcard.
2. Itch will need to create 4 faders, in-midi for control (or implement Shift + ?), some GUI buttons to switch from decks (like 1 to 2) for control with the V7 or NS7

Also for more sound card throughput, Numark and update the firmware where you can connect both V7s and have a disable platter motor option, that way you can use the 2nd V7s as a sound card and now you can have your four channel mixer controlling all the volumes. It can happen but is Serato Itch willing?

Side note:VDJ sound card config is a BEAST... Right now or currently today VDJ configuration is best out of all the dj software. VDJ doesn't care how many sound cards you have hooked up and can be used towards how many decks you use. Now that is a BEAST.

2nd side note (LOL) Dj C's, you mention about Torq in a topic.. yeah, that used to be my baby. Avid recently update to 2.0 and .... and.... and .. suprisely .... the V7s work with them.. motor platter in all.... WOW! but the GUI looks to busy and still got bugs. Itch has jacked my views of on Torq (LOL)
DJ Cs 7:31 PM - 15 January, 2011
Quote:

2nd side note (LOL) Dj C's, you mention about Torq in a topic.. yeah, that used to be my baby. Avid recently update to 2.0 and .... and.... and .. suprisely .... the V7s work with them.. motor platter in all.... WOW! but the GUI looks to busy and still got bugs. Itch has jacked my views of on Torq (LOL)

Yeah, testing it out now. IT does work, but some things like the LED strip goes crazy.
I'm just happy something else works and Torq was my overall favorite of all the programs.

I will be buying it if I can get those things worked out for the V7. Still Beta, so they may support it directly since it's so close now.
dj56_56 7:36 PM - 15 January, 2011
Lets stay in contact about that and update each other.. since we have the same setup and we both like Torq.. becuase you now about Torq vs everybody.
DJ Cs 7:38 PM - 15 January, 2011
Sounds good. I Need to test it before the playoffs come on....otherwise it won't get done until Monday.
sinjintek 6:07 AM - 28 January, 2011
anyone can easily combine multiple soundcards into one single virtual interface (mac users can do this via 'Audio Midi Setup' in the utilities folder)...but Itch does not allow you to select any interface, rather it is designed to automatically search for an official Itch interface.

Serato (not Numark) is responsible for the software and could quite easily incorporate a patch that would accomplish this but chooses not to. Why? I cannot say for certain, but most likely I believe it is because this may cause the V7 to be "too desirable" and hinder sales for the competition....such ability would easily outshine much of the the existing products on the market and most recently announced at NAMM.

As the V7 becomes fully functional in other software, I have absolutely no doubts that we will eventually see 4 deck support. However, even this will be of little concern to Serato because they suffer no loss in sales due to the fact their software is included with ever V7 purchase. Of course Serato won't be happy as users begin to flaunt the fact that they get better functionality out of 3rd party software...but most likely they already consider the V7 as a legacy device and are far more concerned with supporting newer products that bring newer customers.

I do propose the prospect of actually PAYING Serato an additional fee to make 4 deck functionality a possibility via optional update or patching. But I assume a petition of a serveral thousand users would be required just to peak their interest. However, I totally doubt Serato would go for it.

Yes. I am currently testing out Torq 2.0, but I have yet to see any platter activity...so far I've only had a couple of evenings at it, hopefully this weekend I'll be able to dedicate more time.
djcerla 12:03 PM - 28 January, 2011
Quote:
Serato (not Numark) is responsible for the software and could quite easily incorporate a patch that would accomplish this but chooses not to.

Serato made clear that there are significant technical hurdles in order to achieve 4 decks on 1 computer functionality, because both V7s share the same system ID.

I proposed to send audio data thru the Ethernet connection, bit this would take a massive firmware revision, not an "easy patch".
DJ BOBBYDEE 12:29 PM - 28 January, 2011
SINJINTEK & CERLA,

I say whatever it takes if it means paying more for the feature so be it. There are clearly enough of us interested to justify the cost and effort.
djcerla 1:24 PM - 28 January, 2011
Quote:
There are clearly enough of us interested to justify the cost and effort.

I'd surely pay for it, however, there are no public V7 sales figures at disposal to back up that statement.
kraal 8:28 PM - 28 January, 2011
Quote:
SINJINTEK & CERLA,

I say whatever it takes if it means paying more for the feature so be it. There are clearly enough of us interested to justify the cost and effort.

itch users as a whole grumbled and complained soo much about buying effects controllers i really think that may make serato/numark or anyother developer think twice before making you pay extra for features
Xtianw 2:01 AM - 29 January, 2011
i dont mind add on controllers. its better than losing my ass trying to resell my gear to buy a more all in 1 controller.
diezdiaz 6:05 PM - 29 January, 2011
i think we wont get 4 channels with a V7, i think the closest were going to get to that is when they make a V6....
wadup 6:14 PM - 29 January, 2011
Quote:
i think we wont get 4 channels with a V7, i think the closest were going to get to that is when they make a V6....

The closest thing was the numark x7 mixer.. Maybe something else is in the works
kraal 6:17 PM - 29 January, 2011
Quote:
Quote:

The closest thing was the numark x7 mixer.. Maybe something else is in the works

or it was plagued with unfix-able issues
Ragman 9:57 PM - 29 January, 2011
That's why we see the NS6 with no rotating platter. I have feeling if Numark/Serato could have pulled that off, they would have.
Kmxorbit 1:03 PM - 30 January, 2011
Quote:
That's why we see the NS6 with no rotating platter. I have feeling if Numark/Serato could have pulled that off, they would have.

Personally , I think it's more a question of pricing and weight.
Not everyone likes rotating platters. And the CDJ's are a legendary proof that gear without rotating platters can be a successful product. + without the motors your weight decreases drastically, and no ventilation issues.

But it can be the other way round. I never felt so comfortable since I have rotating platters. I moved away from vinyl because of the rumble, expensive and big records which were quite vulnerable if used a lot. So I went to Cd's. But now with the V7's rotating platters are for the win imho. Numark reinvented the SL1200 and made it even better...

Nevertheless, Whatever they do, If 4deck support for the V7's can be made a fact, it's the only rotating platters controller out on the market that has 4 deck support.
The solid product is already there and available, now, they just need to make it work...
Ragman 6:03 PM - 30 January, 2011
Good perspective too...
LEODJECUADOR 7:21 PM - 27 September, 2013
MAY WITH 2 NUMARK V7 and Pioneer DJM-900SRT TEGANGAMOS 4 DECKS MAY BE EXPECTED AFTER MUCH THIS IS THE SOLUTION TO HAVE 4 DECKS WITH ONE COMPUTER
imconnectedsostfuoracceptmynickname 3:36 AM - 7 March, 2014
Beat.wav 1:42 AM - 18 December, 2015
Sorry to bump this 4 year old thread, but there seems to be some potential with the new updates to get this working with a djm-900.. It seems that if you USB the mixer in that 4 channels turn up that are now ran through the audio card on the mixer and not the turntables. It starts to get glitchy when you try plugging both decks in, with random crashes, you can get them both working for a bit before it glitches out and crashes. Is there not a way to make this work now, with the V7's both plugged in and working as a midi-signals, and the mixer handling the rest?