Serato Video General Discussion

Talk about Serato Video and Video-SL.

Ripping Promo Only Video DVD's to hard drive?

DJ Tex 7:02 PM - 11 January, 2011
Hey all,

Im about to get video SL to use with my TTM57. The club I work at 90% of the time like the idea of me playing videos and switching them between the DJ booth camera feed and some add DVD's we have. We have a video source switcher that feeds the video distribution amp to send signal to the LCD's around the club.

Now, The club has subscriptions to promo only and have been collecting all the video disks since maybe 2002 I think. Anyways, there is a binder full of them.

What program would I use to Rip the videos from the disks and encode them for Video SL use? Added points for a program that could read and write Artist and Song info at the same time..... On my Macbook Pro i5

Thanks for the help!

Rob
DJ DisGrace 7:22 PM - 11 January, 2011
Lots of suggestions for software will follow... but my suggestion is to start ripping and naming the individual VOB files with MacTheRipper. You can encode later.
djpuma_gemini 7:40 PM - 11 January, 2011
If on a pc use this program
Rips and renames the vobs according to the po database

lmoffice.com
DJ DisGrace 8:03 PM - 11 January, 2011
Quote:
If on a pc use this program
Rips and renames the vobs according to the po database

lmoffice.com

except I was using Canadian PO discs #fail
djpuma_gemini 9:25 PM - 11 January, 2011
aaah yeah that would be a problem
DjBoozie 10:39 PM - 11 January, 2011
You can google mp4 converter and get a world of choices...Some are free and Some will cost, but that's a good way to start
xplycyt 1:34 AM - 12 January, 2011
MAC - serato.com

PC - serato.com
Dj Nyce 3:00 AM - 12 January, 2011
Quote:
Hey all,

Im about to get video SL to use with my TTM57. The club I work at 90% of the time like the idea of me playing videos and switching them between the DJ booth camera feed and some add DVD's we have. We have a video source switcher that feeds the video distribution amp to send signal to the LCD's around the club.

Now, The club has subscriptions to promo only and have been collecting all the video disks since maybe 2002 I think. Anyways, there is a binder full of them.

What program would I use to Rip the videos from the disks and encode them for Video SL use? Added points for a program that could read and write Artist and Song info at the same time..... On my Macbook Pro i5

Thanks for the help!

Rob

no app will rip/convert po dvd's with artist - title on osx that i know of. the only app that i know that does this is dj extractor (pc).

To rip on OSX your best bets are Mac The Ripper or Handbrake. Handbrake is probably the better option as it will rip and convert at the same.
DJ Tex 10:30 PM - 12 January, 2011
Ok so Ill need to rip, name, then convert all the files off the Disk? Will I need to do that one at a time or can I select which videos from the disk I want to rip?
Dj Nyce 6:05 AM - 13 January, 2011
Quote:
Ok so Ill need to rip, name, then convert all the files off the Disk? Will I need to do that one at a time or can I select which videos from the disk I want to rip?

with handbrake you can choose which chapter (video) you want to rip/convert. you can then add each chapter to the queue to batch rip/convert or you can do them one at a time. you can add the filename in the destination section.

only downside about handbrake is that you have to manually choose the chapters and add them to queue. what dj extractor did was automate this process.
DJ DisGrace 2:31 PM - 13 January, 2011
Quote:
Quote:

with handbrake you can choose which chapter (video) you want to rip/convert. you can then add each chapter to the queue to batch rip/convert or you can do them one at a time. you can add the filename in the destination section.

only downside about handbrake is that you have to manually choose the chapters and add them to queue. what dj extractor did was automate this process.

Also with Handbrake you are stuck choosing the same cropping/size for every video on the dvd.... IMO it's bettr to rip VOBs and then queue them up in Handbrake - this also gives you optical drive a bit of a break (10 minutes ripping VOBs vs 90mins ripping/converting)
Culprit 4:12 PM - 13 January, 2011
dj extractor #ftw, also smashvidz for us and xtendamix for canadians (if your serious about video mixing of course).
djpuma_gemini 4:34 PM - 13 January, 2011
^yup.

I have a ton of po stuff collecting digital dust on my drobo and before I edit one of those vobs I hit up those two sites mentioned by Culprit cause it will save me a ton of work.
xplycyt 5:12 AM - 14 January, 2011
Quote:
^yup.

I have a ton of po stuff collecting digital dust on my drobo and before I edit one of those vobs I hit up those two sites mentioned by Culprit cause it will save me a ton of work.

digital dust - i like! :)
carter 9:36 PM - 14 January, 2011
Another option with Handbrake is to create an iso image of the disc for backup and convert from that. Kills 2 birds with one stone. Also, when you're naming your chapters use the same format for every one (title-artist-album; Artist - Title; etc). You can then use MetaX on Mac to tag for you. There is an option under preferences in Handbrake that allows you to send to MetaX. You would just need to set up your naming preferences in MetaX. When your queue is done, go in to MetaX and click Write Tag, and you've got your mp4s and they're all tagged.
alicebill 9:12 AM - 12 July, 2011
Do you mean rip dvd to hard driver? I know eahoosoft dvd ripper can do this with high quality and fast speed
www.eahoosoft.com
KateUptonNYC 9:49 PM - 20 June, 2017
I ripped DVD Catalog from Jan 2001 to December 2009 without any problem. I was able to rip, and hot cue each song without any issues with copyright using Handbrake.
popnwave 4:07 PM - 21 June, 2017
PO dvds aren't copy protected as is..
djnak 7:02 PM - 23 June, 2017
just make sure you do it right... (proper frame rates/de-interlacing ect ect ect... or your vids are gonna be a whole lotta hot garbage....
popnwave 7:06 PM - 23 June, 2017
Quote:
just make sure you do it right... (proper frame rates/de-interlacing ect ect ect... or your vids are gonna be a whole lotta hot garbage....

Yeah I redo the earliest videos I ever ripped to MP4 when I come across them. It's like old 128Kb mp3s, but with interlacing out the butt.
Culprit 10:55 PM - 5 July, 2017
Anyone still buying dvd's and ripping them to fill those rare holes in their libraries?
popnwave 11:13 PM - 5 July, 2017
It's a rare gem when I find a DVD that has something I don't. And at this point the last 2-3 I'd found were from outside the US market.

There are a few private torrent trackers for off the wall, rare items that are worth looking in to, and then I jump on the occasional track that makes it on to one of the pools as a throwback/classic.