DJing Discussion

This area is for discussion about DJing in general. Please remember the community rules when posting and try to be polite and inclusive.

Tequila

coitus 8:12 PM - 17 May, 2007
I love tequila and usually buy Cazadores reposado for the home. Its not crazy expensive and tastes good. Every month or two Ill splurge and get something a little more pricey, Patron, Centiranario...
Anyone a tequila know it all and recomend something new. I was thinking of trying Casa Noble. I tend to prefer the reposados over anejo's and generally don't try out any blancos. Thanks
tig ol' bitties 8:13 PM - 17 May, 2007
Don Julio!
dj cubicle 8:14 PM - 17 May, 2007
Awww man, I thought this was another STOP!!! thread, but then I realized I wouldn't have anything to say.
sixxx 8:14 PM - 17 May, 2007
I used to do all kinds of Tequila shots when I was younger. Don't front, but I admit (guilty pleasure)... I love margaritas. lol

:)
tig ol' bitties 8:15 PM - 17 May, 2007
Quote:
I used to do all kinds of Tequila shots when I was younger. Don't front, but I admit (guilty pleasure)... I love margaritas. lol

:)

+1, even worse I liek raspberry margaritas hahaha
Dj Shamann 8:25 PM - 17 May, 2007
My background won't allow me to do Tequilla shots without winding myself up in the drunk tank...but I better not go there before somebody starts a thread...

;p
coitus 8:32 PM - 17 May, 2007
about a week ago i made a pitcher of margaritas for me and a friend to drink in the sun. there was at least 8 shots in the thing. I go to the park to meet him but he had to bail for some school thing. so I drank the whole thing and it was a great day.
CMOS 8:34 PM - 17 May, 2007
I cant drink other tequila after drinking patron. Is just too smooth to go back to other brands.
Beale Dabbs 10:42 PM - 17 May, 2007
I always have to apologize to everyone after I drink tequila.
Dj KaGeN 11:23 PM - 17 May, 2007
I have no idea what it's called but it came in a cactus bottle - whoo wee - dope sipping tequila. Another favorite is in a blue bottle found a BevMo (for the CA peeps). yummy also.
Steve_Dub 11:29 PM - 17 May, 2007
i drink jager, fuck tequila. ha ha.
Serato
Bill M 11:34 PM - 17 May, 2007
Quote:
Don Julio!

I second that!!!
DJ_Mike_Coquilla 12:55 AM - 18 May, 2007
Coquilla
jkar 1:41 AM - 18 May, 2007
my favorite is patron. i also like don julio and cabo wabo
jkar 1:42 AM - 18 May, 2007
and i have a fifth of don julio sittin on my fridge now that i think of it
jkar 1:43 AM - 18 May, 2007
and i just took my last final ever today so i think im going to drink some once this high wears off
skratchnerd 5:08 AM - 18 May, 2007
patron.
Beale Dabbs 5:34 AM - 18 May, 2007
Mescal. Preferably clearish, new and homemade. A friend of mine once brought me a bottle from a guy who makes in the town he's from in Oaxaca. You bring your own bottle, he fills it up, eyeballs it and tells you the price.. Amazing, amazing, amazing stuff.

And skip the worm. The worm is for drunk turistas to dare each other to eat.
IanJ 5:44 AM - 18 May, 2007
I only drink my dads stuff he gets in Mexico every once in awhile, but import laws limit 1 bottle per person per car. It's a blended tequila/amaretto ends up tasting like roasted apple and it's not a shot tequila it's a sipping tequila.
CHARL1E F1VE 7:29 AM - 18 May, 2007
Don Julio is def the best tequilla outside of an actual tequilla bar where they have specialties. Normal bar tequilla ---> Patron. Kills Cazadores. Trust me, I drink tequilla when your playing nintendo...
DjWoody 9:53 AM - 18 May, 2007
Everytime before my set I take a shot of Patron!!! That's one of my local favorites. But my real favorite is PORFIDIO. Man, one or two shots and you're gone!!! They don't sell it here in the US. I've only had it in Mexico and it's $100 for a 1 Liter bottle! Pretty expensive, but not your ordinary tequila. It's so smooth, you can drink it like water.

Two weeks ago, some girl came up to the DJ booth and gave me a bottle of Don Julio silver! We had shots together, and I still have about 1/2 a bottle left!

Oh yeah, Rite Aid by my house sells Patron for $18-$24 a bottle. Man, they sell out quick too!
DjWoody 9:54 AM - 18 May, 2007
Oh, this is how the Porfidio bottle looks like...

It's a hand-made blue ceramic bottle with a cork on it.
www.kcinkc.com
shiestO! 3:08 PM - 18 May, 2007
Quote:

same. and usually do a good bit of house cleaning the next day too.
shiestO! 3:09 PM - 18 May, 2007
^^i'm a kicker.
Nicky Blunt 3:11 PM - 18 May, 2007
Quote:
Quote:

same. and usually do a good bit of house cleaning the next day too.

+1
MusicMeister 3:38 PM - 18 May, 2007
One Tequila, Two Tequila, Three Tequila, Floor.

Tequila makes her fall off.

Tequila makes you invisible.

Most important rule of Tequila? Don't mix it with ANY other liqour...

All that aside... Respasado's are aged about 11 months while Anejo's are aged longer (usually closer to 2 years). Blanco's or Plato's are not generally aged at all or very little.

For a really good tequila, I recommend the Jose Cuervo Reserva de la Familia. Pricey, but VERY good. It's also about the only Jose Cuervo tequila worth drinking.

For something a little cheaper:
Cabo Wabo, Patron, Don Julio, and Corrazon are all quite good.

Sauza makes a good tequila as well. It has some lower-end product, Sauza's Tequila Hornados for example (used to make the 'horny-rita') is rough but their Anejo's and Resposado's are pretty good.

I tend to drink Anejo's but find some Respesado's pretty good as well. But to be honest, I rarely drink Tequila... I'm more of a one bourbon (Maker's Mark), one scotch (Sheep Dip) and one beer (Guiness or local microbrews) sort of guy myself...
sixxx 7:37 PM - 18 May, 2007
lol @ Tequila makes you invisible MusicMeister. :)
dj hes 9:21 PM - 18 May, 2007
Quote:
my favorite is patron. i also like don julio and cabo wabo

Yes sir! those are my fav 3 also. I always know im going to have a rough night when i start taking patron shots and chasing them with Glenlivet scotch hahaha.

I do like Fine liquors (like Remy XO is my all time fav)but I like to also shotgun silver bullets still....tap the rocks. coors light. somehow patron always invades the night.
DJUltimate 3:03 AM - 19 May, 2007
Patron
Cabo Wabo
Patron Cafe
dj hoodat baller 3:39 AM - 19 May, 2007
Patron, Don Julio ,Cabo Wabo, 1800
dj hoodat baller 3:56 AM - 19 May, 2007
Oh yea thats my drink Tequila
djdannyc 6:27 AM - 19 May, 2007
PATRON
Dirty Digits 5:19 AM - 8 October, 2008
BUMP!!!

This thread is from waaay back, but i couldn't help but bring it back. A good Tequila is one of my only few vices and margaritas are my freaking bloody marys. I've spent the past year or so making a living selling the shit to people, so i'd like to think I know a thing or two about the stuff.

Let me just get this out of the way... PATRON IS SHIT!!!
Without getting too off topic, and sounding too much like a nerd while doing it, the people that make Patron don't follow the same rules as other tequila and agave farmers do. Basically put, Patron doesn't farm thier own agave plants, which is a pretty huge thing. They simply buy the agave from other farmers to put through their refining process. Which might seem fine, but makes for VERY inconsistent tequila. if you place 4-5 Patron bottles next to each other you will notice they all have different hues of color to them. This is one of the reasons that Patron tequiila is sold in boxes on shelves in stores. All Patron really is, is a very sucessful & identifiable label, the actual product leaves much to be desired.

But to keep it real, if I'm at a bar with only 4 tequila bottles chances are I'm ordering the Patron over the Cuervo or Sauza. Patron is good in comparison, but it could be alot fucking better considering.

My Favorite Tequilas:

Siete (7) Leguas - Made by the people that taught Patron how to make tequila (& sell their agave to them) Their Blanco and Rep(asado) both make good margaritas and can stand alone for shots as well. Both have strong Pepper and Oak characteristics, with some smoke to boot.

Tenoch - Amazing bottle and tequila that only comes as Repasado. Full of caramel tones and hints of pepper. makes for great margaritas wih complexity that bite.

El Diamante Cileo - Rich caramel tones and sweet resonance that compliment magaritas perfectly. Ordering this for ladies with never go wrong.

Frida Khalo - Expensive but worth it. The Blanco is complex pepper, The Rep is cotton candy is a glass that ladies go apeshit over, and Anejo is smooth oak with a whiskey back. All 3 compliment margaritas beautifully and the Rep and Anejo stand alone as great sipping tequilas as well.

Partida - My personal favorite. Their Blanco is shit, but the Rep and Anejo are some of the best out. Both make excellent margaritas and can stand alone for an after dinner sipping tequila.

Jose Cuervo Tradicional - The best cheap option out period. Only offered as Repasado, this makes great peppery margaritas that bite. as a shot it carries a nice oak back to follow the pepper. Great stuff

Tonala - Last one on the list is for the ladies. Sweet stand alone sipping Anejo that also mixes perfectly for the no-bite margarita that the hottie on your arm is looking for. Reccomended.
dj lad 2:13 PM - 8 October, 2008
^^^^
Truth
Dj BuddyLove 4:30 PM - 8 October, 2008
damm i got to jump of the wagon..rading this
feniks 12:26 AM - 10 October, 2008
this tequila ain't too bad...if you like a skanky taste.

www.googoobutt.com
Dj BuddyLove 12:31 AM - 10 October, 2008
ummmm skanky :OP
papsworth 12:45 AM - 10 October, 2008
tequila + vodka + redbull in a pint glass... liquid crack. plus the look on the bartenders face when you order it.
coitus 5:31 PM - 14 October, 2008
Ill have to try some of those listed Dirty D. Oh and yes, Patron is shit. Just well marketed.
bboyrealone 5:44 PM - 14 October, 2008
If you are drinking tequila straight, it's one thing. But if you are drinking a margarita, it's really stupid to pay $10 more for a tequila when you probably wouldn't even be able to taste the difference.

This reminds me of a bet I had at my old job, with a guy saying he could distinguish what kind of Vodka he had in 5 different screw drivers. We used absolute, skyy, grey goose, shirnoff, and buttonwood (that's a store that makes its own, it's like $5 for a 1.75L) He got everyone wrong, and said that buttonwood was absolute, and said smirnoff was greygoose. Just goes to show you what you know. Plus, most bars water down there shit anyways.
Swizzle 5:55 PM - 14 October, 2008
I'm not a big drinker but a few years back I was in Cozumel, Mexico and brought back some Agavero to the States. I still have a bottle left, folks who have never heard of it seem to like it straight when they try it.

Has any ever tried it, if so what do you think? How does it compare?

www.agavero.com
coitus 11:09 PM - 14 October, 2008
casa noble just came out with some single barrel aged tequilas. brobably over $100 a bottle but also probably worth it.
Dirty Digits 5:02 PM - 15 October, 2008
MIlagro has a Single Barrel Reverve line as well, featuring a Repasado and Anejo (the Blanco is shit). They are both some of my favorite sipping tequilas hands down, but are very pricey. The Rep is $75 and Anejo is $100 per bottle, and both will cost around $20 per shot (NYC prices). But are well, well worth it.
coitus 8:08 PM - 18 October, 2008
Yes Ive seen the milagro single barrel's at the bar and was unsure what they were. cool bottle though. Ill have to pick up one of them here soon. Check out their website, they have a bottle with both the reposado and anejo in the same bottle. pure marketing novelty but still kind of cool.
Righteous 11:11 PM - 18 October, 2008
OH man- if you can get some 1800 Anejo- that stuff is magic. Also a tequila called "muchote" its VERY good as well for being cheap, and is a reposado.
Dirty Digits 3:17 PM - 19 October, 2008
Ha! 1800 Anejo. Never had the chance to taste, but it sells for around $200 a shot at some places here in NYC. On Cinco de Mayo, no joke, i saw a man dressed in a taco suit order 4 shots of it just to quickly slam them all down back to back. insane.
Righteous 11:44 PM - 19 October, 2008
200 a shot?? DAAMMM costs about 40 bucks a bottle here in Denver
Dirty Digits 2:07 AM - 20 October, 2008
My mistake!!! I'm thinking about the 1800 COLECCION Anejo. Slight difference between the two names! The bottles are rumored to sell for around $1600 on Ebay. Not sure what it retails for tho.
www.tequila.net
DJ Sniffles 6:55 AM - 20 October, 2008
You gotta get that Tequila on the other side of the border with the worm and all
coitus 10:07 PM - 20 October, 2008
allways remember to drink responsibly 8). I didnt last night and after too many don julios and cazadores my head is still bangin! ouch!