DJing Discussion

This area is for discussion about DJing in general. Please remember the community rules when posting and try to be polite and inclusive.

Which Of These DJ's Deserves More Respect?

twinsouls 11:44 AM - 17 May, 2007
DJ 1: A lot of connections,Gets paid Well/OK,Spins at one of the hottest or many of the hottest clubs in the city,Drives a really nice ride,only practices when he actually spins out,Cocky attitude,Avoids battles.

DJ 2: No/few connections,little/no pay,Spins in his bedroom/house partys/with other DJ friends,Drives decent car or a bucket because he puts a lot of his money into other music gear besides just DJ gear because he truely loves MUSIC,always practices and learns from other DJs rather than trying to school them,Humble attitude,will battle anyone-anytime/anywhere.
DJ GaFFle 12:00 PM - 17 May, 2007
"Cocky attitudes, avoids battles..." [Gotta give respect to get respect]

"Humble attitude, will battle anyone..." The question is open-ended but it sounds like this guy would [earn] respect.

Human nature would probably have most looking up to or showing more respect to DJ #1 though...
Nicky Blunt 12:10 PM - 17 May, 2007
neither respect is earned & Not given
J0be 12:37 PM - 17 May, 2007
Quote:
always practices and learns from other DJs rather than trying to school them,Humble attitude,will battle anyone-anytime/anywhere.

bit of a contradiction.

I take it you're DJ2!?
twinsouls 1:46 PM - 17 May, 2007
Quote:
Quote:
always practices and learns from other DJs rather than trying to school them,Humble attitude,will battle anyone-anytime/anywhere.

bit of a contradiction.

I take it you're DJ2!?

LOL.Actually DJ 1 and DJ 2 are acquaintances of mine so I guess that puts me somewhere in the middle as far as DJing.Im DJ 1 1/2.I dont DJ big clubs at the moment and I dont hate on those that do but I also dont stay in the bedroom.I have done this since I was a teen and have had my times at bigger clubs/events when I was younger.Connections have come and gone in this game but Im cool where Im at right now.

They both dont like each other but DJ 1 thinks hes the better man and DJ which is annoying because he aint all that as far as skillz and most of my friends agree.

DJ 1 is striclty a battle style DJ.Juggles,scratches,everything while DJ 1 just spins his pre-mixed Trashups all night always cutting in and out of songs and never actually blends or mixes but since hes doing big clubs he thinks hes the shit.Me and DJ 1 make beats together and sometimes Jam out(He plays guitar and some keys and I play drums and guitar)so I have mad respect for him from a musical standpoint.

Just been annoyed lately by DJ 1.Hes good friends with the promoter (Who is also a good frined of mine) from my resident gig.He goes around and does his thing at other spots then sometimes shows up and the end of the night where I spin and just expects me to let him have a set.I actually call the shots,not the promoter as far as the music goes.Thats the arrangement.This guy gets no respect from me just cause his cousins a big club promoter and helped start him off.And I think he's been hating latley on how much $$$ I make cause I know for a fact Im making more in 1 night than what hes getting spinning his sets and the bigger spots with there shady ass promoters.Its not about the $$$ for me but if it wasnt about the $$ for him either he wouldnt be asking my promoter how much hes paying me.

Feel where Im coming from now??
twinsouls 1:51 PM - 17 May, 2007
Quote:

DJ 1 is striclty a battle style DJ.

Quote:
Me and DJ 1 make beats together

WTF?My bad I meant DJ 2.We really need that edit button :)
DJ Art Pumpin Payne 3:22 PM - 17 May, 2007
Quote:
neither respect is earned & Not given

Well said and that was my thought.

There is a well know radio jock in my town that has a cocky attitude, with the bling (used to wear a three finger Ring laced with diamonds) and all that but he has Mad skills, (think like DJ AM of the ghetto, the old Bad Boy Bill or DJ Godfather). He would be out there more but he didn't (or wouldn't) kiss up to the Music Industry back in the day.

I still give him mad respect on his skills alone. Seems funny unless you are a DJ, but the ability to CONTROL a record and make it do exactly what you want is very rare (INSTEAD of the Record controlling you - think about it).

I haven't heard him play live in a while but he's doing a party at the Detroit Electronic Music Festival (Ghetto Tech) and I am curious to check him out and see if he has gotten lazy in his "old age". He's doing Serato but I heard he moved from Vinyl to CDJ's. It just won't be the same without the vinyl.
poloi3eai2 3:30 PM - 17 May, 2007
You can argue your point in any profession. The guy that sucks but promotes himself and networks will always win over the guy who studies and studies and keeps to himself. I know a few DJ's that are better than DJ's I've heard on the radio or the big local clubs but they dont really go out and promote themselves so they just stay practicing in their bedroom. The saying is always true "Who you know gets you farther than what you know"
s42000 4:03 PM - 17 May, 2007
None deserves respect, because they do not use MIDI and Ableton.

I said it.
sixxx 4:10 PM - 17 May, 2007
Quote:
None deserves respect, because they do not use MIDI and Ableton.

I said it.

Hahahaha. I hope it's a joke.

Anyway, you gotta earn respect and that's it. You also have to remember WHO the respect is coming from. Do I want "respect" from someone who knows nothing about turntablism but is a fan? Or from someone who knows his shit and got skills? I rather take the respect of the person who knows what's up!

If your buddy has the skills, it's time to leave the bedroom and start hitting the club scene. Shut your other friend's ego and REALLY SHOW HIM WHAT'S UP but showing him he (battle guy) can do what he does BUT BETTER.
wakka 8:01 PM - 17 May, 2007
R2D2
DJ_Mike_Coquilla 11:57 PM - 17 May, 2007
DJ 3: someone who keeps buying more and more gear. always reading PSSL catalog while in tha bathroom, as if it were one of those mags that come in tha mail wrapped in a brown paperbag type cover
Boogie Down Martin 6:21 PM - 18 May, 2007
DJ 1 will probably become a better crowd rocker in the long term simply because he spends more time playing out.

Scratching like DJ 2 does is cool but a central part of DJing is being able to rock a crowd and you cannot learn that in your bedroom.
Steve_Dub 6:33 PM - 18 May, 2007
I respect whoever respects me, if he's a cocky dj but has the skills to back it up then more power to him, as long as he's cool with me I could respect him. I've had a few encounters with dj's that were cocky when we first meet but after they hear me spin I get nothing but respect and I give it right back.
Steve_Dub 6:36 PM - 18 May, 2007
I think my drawback would be that im like that too, if I first meet a dj I dont really respect them until I hear em spin. EVERYONE is a dj now days so if you come up to me and are like "oh im dj so & so" I dont really care because for all I know you think your a dj because you have 2 ipods and have done 3 house parties to date. And even if your not as good as me, as long as I see that you can mix, were all good, you dont need to scratch at all, you just need to be able to mix 2 records together before I can consider you a "dj".
RHF 6:59 PM - 18 May, 2007
actually DJ 2 isnt a DJ but a turntablist
Dj KaGeN 7:32 PM - 18 May, 2007
Quote:
DJ 3: always reading PSSL catalog while in the bathroom

damnit - I so busted.