DJing Discussion

This area is for discussion about DJing in general. Please remember the community rules when posting and try to be polite and inclusive.

Virtual DJ is Now FREE!!!

DjWoody 9:05 AM - 7 January, 2011
First Traktor gets a major price cut, and now this!

DOH!

www.virtualdj.com
fcukthedj 10:00 AM - 7 January, 2011
For the home version...
RAYSH 12:03 PM - 7 January, 2011
speaking of traktor, ive always wondered - is it possible to allign the waveforms next to eachother to "visually beatmatch" like you can in serato. i wouldn't know coz ive only ever used serato
DJ metaphor 12:15 PM - 7 January, 2011
Quote:
speaking of traktor, ive always wondered - is it possible to allign the waveforms next to eachother to "visually beatmatch" like you can in serato. i wouldn't know coz ive only ever used serato

no it is not,
RAYSH 12:51 PM - 7 January, 2011
ha, traktor sucks! i can understand ppl using it for electonic dance music, but for hip hop, serato is the ish
J0be 1:43 PM - 7 January, 2011
Quote:
ha, traktor sucks! i can understand ppl using it for electonic dance music, but for hip hop, serato is the ish

It could be said, that you also suck....for visual beatmatching

:P
ninos 1:45 PM - 7 January, 2011
fuck me lol, i remember when i begged my mom to buy me the 300$ version 3 years ago. she did. FML
RAYSH 1:45 PM - 7 January, 2011
it helps but is non essential
Turn Table Tennis 1:55 PM - 7 January, 2011
ScratchLIVE has wave forms?!? all this time i've been doin it by ear... ppfff =)
Dj-M.Bezzle 2:16 PM - 7 January, 2011
Quote:
For the home version...

lol where the hell else would you want to use VDJ
djchase 3:58 PM - 7 January, 2011
check this out

www.virtualdj.com
DJ DisGrace 4:20 PM - 7 January, 2011
Quote:
check this out

www.virtualdj.com

LOL at maximum number of virtual decks = 99 = trainwreck!
djchase 4:22 PM - 7 January, 2011
Quote:
Quote:

check this out

www.virtualdj.com

LOL at maximum number of virtual decks = 99 = trainwreck!

see what im saying plus no timecode control no mic and no broadcasting i still have a old version that does everything these new ones do lol
Dj-M.Bezzle 4:24 PM - 7 January, 2011
LMFAO, ir ead this like when did they ever charge, its free anyways from a site that rhymes with warrant.
djchase 4:48 PM - 7 January, 2011
Quote:
LMFAO, ir ead this like when did they ever charge, its free anyways from a site that rhymes with warrant.

lol smartie
tehBEN 4:51 PM - 7 January, 2011
lol
RogerRabbit 4:57 PM - 7 January, 2011
It's a smart business move.. Get reel them in with a free product and develop brand loyalty..
djchriscruz 4:58 PM - 7 January, 2011
On other DJ forums Virtual DJ has a pretty devoted following. Moreso than Torq or Mixvibes.
bill-e 5:12 PM - 7 January, 2011
Does anyone use mixvibes?
DJ_Gr0wTesK 5:16 PM - 7 January, 2011
VDJ 7 is actually pretty good, timecode support is a lot better than the 6. versions and I have no crashes in the times I've used it
DJ Prinvale` 5:16 PM - 7 January, 2011
you get what you pay for.
RogerRabbit 5:18 PM - 7 January, 2011
Quote:
On other DJ forums Virtual DJ has a pretty devoted following. Moreso than Torq or Mixvibes.

I think it may also have a larger user base(paid, cracked and free versions) than SSL and itch..
djchriscruz 6:41 PM - 7 January, 2011
^^yea that's true. I'm not a Virtual DJ supporter at all but there are some people are really hard core suporters of Virtual DJ.

There's youtube video's of people hacking the VCI-300 and NS7 to work with VDJ.

Personally I'm like WHY!?? but it just shows how hardcore people are about Virtual DJ
Dj-M.Bezzle 7:01 PM - 7 January, 2011
Quote:
^^yea that's true. I'm not a Virtual DJ supporter at all but there are some people are really hard core suporters of Virtual DJ.

Personally I'm like WHY!?? but it just shows how hardcore people are about Virtual DJ

there are also vids of people hacking wii controllers to DJ with....
RogerRabbit 7:02 PM - 7 January, 2011
Quote:

Well you can't use ssl with the vci and ns7 now can you? The thing is the software has native mapping for most midi and hid interfaces on the market now.. And that's what the new generation of dj's are into..

So a company can either chose to "keep it real" by honoring the old timers or sell software that that is compatible with the new dj gadgets that's been sold in stores now..
Dj-M.Bezzle 7:03 PM - 7 January, 2011
Quote:

Well you can't use ssl with the vci and ns7 now can you?

you can its just a horribly convoluded solution to do so
DJ metaphor 7:20 PM - 7 January, 2011
I started out using VDJ, I got simple beatmatching and the idea of mixing down, and then when i was 16, I bought Traktor scratch duo, technics 1200s and a crappy mixer.

I think there is alot to be learned from VDJ, and a little to be learned from Traktor Scratch, But an EXTREMELY HIGH amount of knowledge to be learned from SSL

My point is. is that I think this free home version will be good for alot of beginner DJs who wanna check it out before dropping 1 grand(aTleast) in gear.
DJ_Gr0wTesK 8:04 PM - 7 January, 2011
Quote:
I started out using VDJ, I got simple beatmatching and the idea of mixing down, and then when i was 16, I bought Traktor scratch duo, technics 1200s and a crappy mixer.

I think there is alot to be learned from VDJ, and a little to be learned from Traktor Scratch, But an EXTREMELY HIGH amount of knowledge to be learned from SSL

My point is. is that I think this free home version will be good for alot of beginner DJs who wanna check it out before dropping 1 grand(aTleast) in gear.

what do you learn from SSL that you dont from the other two programs?
Dj-M.Bezzle 8:11 PM - 7 January, 2011
pong
DjWoody 8:18 PM - 7 January, 2011
One of the residents at my club uses VDJ. In the 5 years we've been mixing together, never have I seen his VDJ crash at all. Not once! And my Serato has crashed on me several times.
AN!M4T0R 8:44 PM - 7 January, 2011
Quote:

You do know that the vci-300 and ns7 along with about every controller on the market is native in virtual dj it's plug n play for about everything.
Advocate 10:39 PM - 7 January, 2011
I'm going to download it tonight.
I have my reasons as to why... none of which is for actual DJ purposes.

But off hand... is anyone aware if having it installed on the same computer with the Serato software causes any conflicts... or does VDJ have any affect on the music files when read?? Would loading a file in VDJ possibly alter the tag info or SSL overview info that's written in the file??
Dj_Nix 11:26 PM - 7 January, 2011
Quote:

VIDEO--- plus its not hacked. ns7 is natively supported and its a midi device.
DJSHARK 1:55 AM - 8 January, 2011
I cant look at anything other then serato the gui looks cluttered and very toy like
sixxx 2:18 AM - 8 January, 2011
It's Virtual DJ. Who cares? lmao
SMOKE DOGG BITCH 2:37 AM - 8 January, 2011
its like the dodge neon... they gave it a turbo and a spoiler but ITS STILL A NEON
djchriscruz 3:29 AM - 8 January, 2011
Quote:
It's Virtual DJ. Who cares? lmao

Exactly it's "Virtual" meaning it's not the real thing.
dj720 3:51 AM - 8 January, 2011
well the insult to injury I seen regarding this was a "serato" skin for VDJ 7...
Logisticalstyles 4:11 AM - 8 January, 2011
I can't front. My SL1 is out for service right now and I just got a call for a gig. I was going to download Virtual DJ tonight for a gig tomorrow night. Fortunately I found someone with an SL1 to rent.
RogerRabbit 4:31 AM - 8 January, 2011
Quote:
I'm going to download it tonight.
I have my reasons as to why... none of which is for actual DJ purposes.

But off hand... is anyone aware if having it installed on the same computer with the Serato software causes any conflicts... or does VDJ have any affect on the music files when read?? Would loading a file in VDJ possibly alter the tag info or SSL overview info that's written in the file??

Nope no conflicts with ssl - plus vdj don't write any info to mp3 files - it stores the cue point etc in a XML database.
DJ Alkemy 4:35 AM - 8 January, 2011
I hardly ever beatmatch by ear these days. SHOCK HORROR!!

With all the bpm analysers, waveforms etc you should be able to throw on a track and match it within a few seconds give or take. It gives me more time to drink and have fun with everyone else at the party. If a deaf person gets his hearing back does he still read lips?.

But all in all Im glad to say that if there was an all vinyl throw down, I know I could get out my 12's and rock it the good old fashioned way with no problems. I wonder how many of todays DJ's could do it?.
DJ metaphor 9:15 AM - 8 January, 2011
Quote:
But all in all Im glad to say that if there was an all vinyl throw down, I know I could get out my 12's and rock it the good old fashioned way with no problems. I wonder how many of todays DJ's could do it?.

I could
wrosenbl12 9:47 AM - 8 January, 2011
if i had to bet...the majority of VDJ copies are pirated...it makes better sense to make a home version that they can control then to have their software pirated.

hell i used to use pirated VDJ software...then I got LE...then I got SSL :-)
Kenny Q 10:02 AM - 8 January, 2011
Serato Scratch Live is free too. Anyone can download it.
tehBEN 4:57 PM - 8 January, 2011
Quote:
Serato Scratch Live is free too. Anyone can download it.
nik39 5:31 PM - 8 January, 2011
VDJ now for free... does it make a difference? Those who I know who use VDJ already have a "free" version - go figure ;)
BERTO 6:25 PM - 8 January, 2011
Quote:
its like the dodge neon... they gave it a turbo and a spoiler but ITS STILL A NEON

dude thats my line! i see the kids with their SRT4 NEONS and im like ok you wanted a sports car. and you go to dodge and you see the charger and challenger and you think i want a neon!
DouggyFresh 6:49 PM - 8 January, 2011
I know professional DJs that use Virtual Vinyl that do video and use the timecodes. Relative mode that still makes the loop in/out on CD players still work, and still drops to cue points. Also has relative pitch. No crashes, guy was running video on a Dell and now a Macbook Pro. The video plug in text effects are better on the video (multiple fonts, colors, etc).

I'm not switching, but I don't think its fair to say "it's a bad product" anymore.
RogerRabbit 8:13 PM - 8 January, 2011
Quote:
Quote:

I could

I see this been used as an indication of prowess a lot these day. To be honest it’s more of a hint of the era you grew up.

There were vinyl dj’s who were good and vinyl dj’s who sucked.. Just because you owned records - it is no TRUE indication that you were a good dj …. Let’s keep it real… Am I lying? :)

This is kinda like the older guys who boast about being able to drive a stick shift, the fact is most of the cars produced today are automatic and the majority of the driving schools teach to drive in automatic cars – so new drivers can’t be faulted for lack of knowledge of stick shift( especially for American drivers – I know in Europe –stick shifts are still popular) .

Point is you can’t expect - new cats – especially dudes who starting in the last 5 years or in the emergence of the cd/mp3/digital era to BE vinyl connoisseurs..
DJ Alkemy 8:20 PM - 8 January, 2011
But when you claim to be able to mix...you must be able to do it without staring at the waveforms like a doofus. If I was new to DJ'ing & wanted to learn the craft then yes, I would definately want to be able to beatmatch by ear and be a tight mixer. When I used the vinyl throwdown point it is merely a way of saying that a hell of a lot of DJ's would be totally lost if their serato box played up and someone handed them a set's worth of records to keep the night moving.
RogerRabbit 9:17 PM - 8 January, 2011
Quote:
But when you claim to be able to mix...you must be able to do it without staring at the waveforms like a doofus. If I was new to DJ'ing & wanted to learn the craft then yes, I would definately want to be able to beatmatch by ear and be a tight mixer. When I used the vinyl throwdown point it is merely a way of saying that a hell of a lot of DJ's would be totally lost if their serato box played up and someone handed them a set's worth of records to keep the night moving.

Actually - don't think anyone would be lost at all - they will be doing just the same thing are doing right now -just bring in the record and keep it moving. You are aware they are tons of paid DVS dj's still don't/can't mix and still do fine in the club scene..
DJ Alkemy 9:42 PM - 8 January, 2011
Quote:
Quote:

Actually - don't think anyone would be lost at all - they will be doing just the same thing are doing right now -just bring in the record and keep it moving. You are aware they are tons of paid DVS dj's still don't/can't mix and still do fine in the club scene..

That post made me laugh. What the hell do you mean "they will be doing just the same thing are doing right now -just bring in the record and keep it moving" ?. I am talking about mixing and blending, without a bpm tag or waveforms to help you by. The rest of your message was just gobbledeygook to me and made barely no sense to me.
dj bhinoy 12:45 PM - 27 July, 2012
lol
str8nger 4:28 PM - 27 July, 2012
Quote:
One of the residents at my club uses VDJ. In the 5 years we've been mixing together, never have I seen his VDJ crash at all. Not once! And my Serato has crashed on me several times.

Cuz he has a Mac and u have a PC LOL
RogerRabbit 7:17 PM - 27 July, 2012
Quote:
Quote:

Actually vdj was created for the pc platform first and was working excellent with video on a pc, way before the mac version was made..

So is it the ultimate question; is it programmers or is it the platform?
DouggyFresh 1:50 AM - 30 July, 2012
I used VDJ with my SL1, Serato vinyl, dicers on a PC doing video- 2.53 C2D w 6GB ram, 1GB NVidia video.

It runs Serato Video at 80% CPU usage. Runs VDJ at 5-10% CPU usage. I still like the way SSL works with timecodes and pitch control, and the library management is wayyyy better.

But then again, if I'm doing a birthday party where I'm just letting music play, I like the automatic playlist functions that VDJ has better.
DJ Reflex 4:20 AM - 30 July, 2012
VDJ does have a selectable fade time option similar to iTunes. I use it for dinner music at weddings and such. I haven't messed with the video on VDJ yet - my computer can barely handle Video SL.
DjWoody 5:02 AM - 30 July, 2012
Quote:
Quote:

Nope... The other way around. He has a PC and I have a Mac.
DJ Art Pumpin Payne 5:13 AM - 30 July, 2012
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

You DJ so bad.... ?
the_black_one 7:33 AM - 30 July, 2012
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Nope... The other way around. He has a PC and I have a pioneer.

You DJ so bad.... ?

fixed
DouggyFresh 3:25 PM - 30 July, 2012
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

I know some guys that used Numark Cue, now Virtual DJ (because it's pretty much the same thing) with timecodes, MIDI mixers, and Video on PC originally, Mac now, that swear by it. The more recent versions of VDJ are better on Macs now and generally more stable.

A few strip club I've worked at run it 12pm-3am every day of the week, one uses a Numark DJIO sound card on a 2006 iMac, the other a recent model HP all in one on Win7, it just runs. For the day shifts with no DJ, the auto mix (on fade mode, not beatmix) works perfect, no gaps in the music all day.
DJJOHNNYM_vSL3 1:48 AM - 31 July, 2012
I am not mad at them. Smart bizznizz move.
DJ Dac 4:07 AM - 1 August, 2012
VDJ is the number 12 top download on cnet last week... 190,525 downloads last week...
DJ Reflex 4:13 AM - 1 August, 2012
That's 190,525 new wannabe DJs saturating the market!
DJ Dac 4:55 AM - 1 August, 2012
^ per week!
DJ Reflex 4:57 AM - 1 August, 2012
"When everyone's super... no one will be!"

Watchwww.youtube.com
DJ Bowtie 7:21 PM - 8 February, 2013
I downloaded SSL, Traktor, and VDJ. I don't have the controllers or black boxes to talk to SSL or Traktor. I have been able to get VDJ to talk to both my CDJ's and 1200's with a cheap sound card. Unfortunately scratching with serato time code vinyl on VDJ hasn't worked yet. I've seen it done successfully on YouTube. The cueing works fine. I'll try tweaking the calibration. Until I save up for the Serato or Traktor I'll continue to practice with VDJ. I started out driving my moms Minivan then moved up to Dads AstroVan and now I cruise in an LS1 powered sports car. I'll do the same with DJing.
the_black_one 7:26 PM - 8 February, 2013
Quote:
I downloaded SSL, Traktor, and VDJ. I don't have the controllers or black boxes to talk to SSL or Traktor. I have been able to get VDJ to talk to both my CDJ's and 1200's with a cheap sound card. Unfortunately scratching with serato time code vinyl on VDJ hasn't worked yet. I've seen it done successfully on YouTube. The cueing works fine. I'll try tweaking the calibration. Until I save up for the Serato or Traktor I'll continue to practice with VDJ. I started out driving my moms Minivan then moved up to Dads AstroVan and now I cruise in an LS1 powered sports car. I'll do the same with DJing.

but...... did you get a kick ass DJ name yet?
Dj-M.Bezzle 7:39 PM - 8 February, 2013
^lol
XCAKID 7:59 PM - 8 February, 2013
VDJ has always had a free version and works with ANY sound card out there.

The free version doesn't have broadcast or video capabilities though. Unless you downloaded a hacked version, in which case, prepare for crashes.
Taipanic 8:22 PM - 8 February, 2013
When I went back to club work after taking some time off I was pretty much gearless due to divorce, kids, etc... My choices were Serato/Rane which would put me over $1300.00 just to get started, or VDJ. I picked up VDJ for $300.00 and a single Denon HS5500 with built in soundcard and dual deck capability. Using the spinning platters in MIDI mode or Timecode mode, I mixed music the same way I have spun vinyl since the 80's. Not a single person in the club had an issue with VDJ, they just had a good time. Eventually, I switched over to Serato when I decided to do video and went all in with new Macbook 17, SL3, & M.E. (already had a 57 at the club). VDJ is made by people just as passionate about making a great product for DJs as they are at Serato/Traktor/etc... and is a pretty good product. Most people on here dissing it have never tried it. There are a lot of features it has that we would like with SSL, like custom skins, MIDI out, better library management & video effects, etc... If you consider yourself a good DJ with SSL, then you should be able to hop on and do just as good a mix with VDJ, without the learning curve of Traktor. I do not use it at this time and it's not perfect for my needs today, but I see no reason to diss it.
DJ Dynamite - NJ 8:48 PM - 8 February, 2013
Quote:
I do not use it at this time and it's not perfect for my needs today, but I see no reason to diss it.

People lose money because of its automix feature. A friend of mine got his hours cut at the go-go bar he works at because the owner said they don't need a dj. they just load up a playlist on VDJ. So now his 5 day a week gig is only friday nights. If more venues start taking this approach then more DJs will lose gigs and there will be even more undercutting and cutthroat business than normal. It's a trickle down effect. You can't just look at the surface.
DouggyFresh 8:57 PM - 8 February, 2013
Quote:
People lose money because of its automix feature. A friend of mine got his hours cut at the go-go bar he works at because the owner said they don't need a dj. they just load up a playlist on VDJ.

Windows Media Player, Winamp, all those work fine for Go-go bars / strip clubs, VDJ automix wouldn't have made a bit of difference for a cheap owner who has some technical know-how.
DJ Dynamite - NJ 9:08 PM - 8 February, 2013
Quote:
Quote:
People lose money because of its automix feature. A friend of mine got his hours cut at the go-go bar he works at because the owner said they don't need a dj. they just load up a playlist on VDJ.

Windows Media Player, Winamp, all those work fine for Go-go bars / strip clubs, VDJ automix wouldn't have made a bit of difference for a cheap owner who has some technical know-how.

Yes, there are other options that do the same thing, but I was just giving an example of how it directly affected someone that I know.
Dj-M.Bezzle 9:11 PM - 8 February, 2013
DJ Dac 9:59 PM - 8 February, 2013
man, winamp, that's a blast from the past, i use to use that to "DJ" back in the late 90's when not using cd's. it was also great that i could stream my play list though out the campus so you would walk down the halls and everyone was bumping the same thing... those were the days...
the_black_one 10:07 PM - 8 February, 2013

Hahahahahahah........ " eat a bag of dicks"

Hahahahahaha
Dj-M.Bezzle 10:52 PM - 8 February, 2013
Quote:

Hahahahahahah........ " eat a bag of dicks"

Hahahahahaha

ROTFL!!!!!!
DJJOHNNYM_vSL3 11:18 PM - 8 February, 2013
Not even a bowl....but a bag....
DJ Dac 11:21 PM - 8 February, 2013
we went to wendys yesterday and the asshole in the backseat yelled out "Yeah we want a bag of dicks" when the guy asked us if we wanted anything else. needless to say they dumped a shit ton of salt on everything in our bag... true story...
the_black_one 11:52 PM - 8 February, 2013
someone needs to snag up the name "DJ Bag of dicks!!!!!"

(NM,NH)
Dj-M.Bezzle 12:25 AM - 9 February, 2013
Quote:
someone needs to snag up the name "DJ Bag of dicks!!!!!"

(NM,NH)

.....welcome to yesterday

serato.com
the_black_one 12:26 AM - 9 February, 2013
thas bowls..... this one is bags
Dj-M.Bezzle 12:35 AM - 9 February, 2013
Quote:

oh ok i see....one more and they can start the swedish dick mafia
the_black_one 12:50 AM - 9 February, 2013
bowl, dick.box
the_black_one 12:56 AM - 9 February, 2013
bowls, bags, box of dicks
Dj-M.Bezzle 1:57 AM - 9 February, 2013
Quote:
bowls, bags, box of dicks

ROTFL!!
DJ DisGrace 2:02 AM - 9 February, 2013
crates, i you're really serious about it
DJ DisGrace 2:02 AM - 9 February, 2013
*if
DJJOHNNYM_vSL3 4:50 AM - 9 February, 2013
Quote:

No one can ever fault you for not specifying how you like yours delivered....

You must work for Burger King.....and have it YOUR way....
the_black_one 4:57 AM - 9 February, 2013
Quote:
Quote:

You must work for Burger King.....and have it YOUR way....

hahahahahahahaha...... go eat a bowl of dicks!!! NM
Dj-M.Bezzle 1:28 AM - 10 February, 2013
Quote:
Quote:

You must work for Burger King.....

.....bag of horse cock
ConstantElevation 1:23 AM - 11 February, 2013
Oh man you Serato groupies crack me up... The home version (free) is extremely LIMITED it is only good to learn basic Djing. otherwise it is useless outside of HOME. and now i hope all of you are ADULTS and man enough to admit and accept that the only reason SERATO is regarded as the PRO DJ software is due to their great marketing scheme. (it is great) i know i am and advertisement/marketing, major. VDJ is just as pro as trackor and serato... if anything Serato been slacking it is Falling behind... hence the creation of "SERATO DJ" and if you guys are smart enough to see it.... a merger with SSL and Serato Dj is coming real soon..... i really can't wait to hear what you guys are going to bash VDJ with.

but i do agree that for now Serato still holds it down with the Time coded... but yes it is true VDj versions have gotten way better with the time code controll. just as good and more stable then it was before.
DJ Dynamite - NJ 2:00 AM - 11 February, 2013
Bottom line.... Who cares. Use what works for you and do what u do. Just don't be lazy and look for shortcuts instead of practicing. Use technology as a tool and not as a crutch (nm)
ConstantElevation 2:05 AM - 11 February, 2013
Quote:
Bottom line.... Who cares. Use what works for you and do what u do. Just don't be lazy and look for shortcuts instead of practicing. Use technology as a tool and not as a crutch (nm)

Exactly! 100 % truth right there. evidently you are a smart man my friend.
wadup 3:11 AM - 11 February, 2013
Quote:
VDJ is just as pro as trackor and serato... if anything Serato been slacking it is Falling behind... hence the creation of "SERATO DJ" and if you guys are smart enough to see it.... a merger with SSL and Serato Dj is coming real soon..... i really can't wait to hear what you guys are going to bash VDJ with.

I really can't wait to see VDJ start showing up in the clubs..... 0_o
badass pro software it is
ConstantElevation 3:42 AM - 11 February, 2013
Quote:
Quote:
VDJ is just as pro as trackor and serato... if anything Serato been slacking it is Falling behind... hence the creation of "SERATO DJ" and if you guys are smart enough to see it.... a merger with SSL and Serato Dj is coming real soon..... i really can't wait to hear what you guys are going to bash VDJ with.

It has been already in the clubs... you just might over looked it. matter fact that VDJ and SERATO are the ones i see in CLUBS lounges and bars here in NYC more so Serato then VDJ, cause apparently Software dictates your validity as "real DJ" yet Half of them can't Mix For shit. -_- ... Oh and hardly see Tracktor in clubs.... guess it is more prevalent in straight EDM venues which i don't do.
Laz219 5:20 AM - 11 February, 2013
Nearly everyone I've seen using VDJ runs a serato clone skin anyway, otherwise it's one of those horrible looking ones that are a copy of their CD players/Mixer on screen.
Taipanic 3:50 PM - 11 February, 2013
Quote:

Let's be real here. If I showed up for my gig at the club and all of a sudden my SL3 wasn't working, I could use one of the 3 other sound cards built into my equipment and use VDJ. You, sitting in the club; would not notice a single difference in the music or mixing style. I would mix using timecode, and would still have the same type of effects & tools available - looping, flanger, echo, etc... The only thing that would be different is what I have to do to make that happen - it would be transparent to everyone else, including DJs.
wadup 4:20 PM - 11 February, 2013
I think you missing my point.... All I'm saying it would be cool to see vdj as a standard dvs system in the clubs like serato and traktor....
Taipanic 5:30 PM - 11 February, 2013
Quote:
I think you missing my point.... All I'm saying it would be cool to see vdj as a standard dvs system in the clubs like serato and traktor....

OK, my bad, I thought you were in full sarcasm mode ;-)

I agree with that. I don't think the software deserves a bad rap, some of the people who use it do, for sure (as with any DVS). I am also not approving of the sync-only DJs. I feel they lower the bar because they not only haven't taken the time to learn to mix properly, they usually haven't taken the time to learn everything else about DJing - music history, song structure, floor rotation, in key mixing, etc... What you use is not important - skill level is. Using sync to live mix 6 different components of a house track in traktor is one thing, using sync to mix Pitbull into Nicki Minaj is another...
XCAKID 8:21 PM - 11 February, 2013
Quote:

I agree 100%

I use VDJ for videos, and yes I do use it at clubs. VDJ is light years ahead when it comes to video, and that includes ME. Most people that bash VDJ's capabilities are those that have only seen or experienced its bootlegged version. VDJ support 99% of MIDI capable devices out there. It can use any soundcard including SL.

I also use SL cause it is just way better at handling DVS. This is where Serato SL really shines and beats out Traktor and VDJ.

Traktor is awesome with effects and its integration with Maschine for remixing. It is why a lot of EDM DJs favor this set up.

Every software has its merits. Personally, I use VDJ at clubs/bars where I spin videos. I use Serato if I am using turntables. I like both software equally and recognize its strong suit and its short comings. I would never say a DJ is a beginner just cause he uses a software that is not widely used.
DjWoody 9:12 PM - 11 February, 2013
I see VDJ at clubs all the time. I actually see it more than Traktor. One of the resident DJ's at my club uses VDJ even though we have a 57 installed. He's been using it with either a Pioneer MEP or with a Denon controller for the last 5 years and it's always worked great. It's never crashed on him.
DJ Dac 9:14 PM - 11 February, 2013
I like how on VDJ you can hook your DMX lighting program to it. i wish SSL would have a plug in for that.
DJRemixEnt 9:15 PM - 11 February, 2013
VDJ is solid, i just dont like their library management layout. but if i have a simple gig that doesnt require a full setup, ill use VDJ
DJ Reflex 12:34 AM - 12 February, 2013
I used VDJ for a few smaller gigs where I just needed some dinner music blended together. Kinda like iTunes where you can set the crossover time between tracks. No mixing, but no dead air between songs.
I do have to agree with the video capabilities though. Never used it personally, but I have seen it in action and it seems legit.
VDL will read Serato crates though - which is cool.
R-Tistic 1:52 AM - 12 February, 2013
VDJ is actually great when I use it to switch between DJ's. I just plug the aux to RCA in, and I can play a song, or 2-3, mixed in perfect on beat and all, high quality, vs having to use a vinyl or the "give birthday shoutouts over dead air for 30 seconds" that most DJ's and MC's do. It's seamless, and the crowd never even realizes that a switch happened.
DJRemixEnt 5:53 AM - 12 February, 2013
Quote:

you have to change your _serato_ folder to _scratchlive_ in order for it to work.
DJ Reflex 3:35 AM - 13 February, 2013
Quote:
Quote:

you have to change your _serato_ folder to _scratchlive_ in order for it to work.

Interesting... I just clicked and dragged a Crate from Serato screen to VDJ and it worked just fine. Granted, i had to do that with all my crates, but it was pretty easy.

I dunno?!?
ConstantElevation 4:13 AM - 13 February, 2013
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Interesting... I just clicked and dragged a Crate from Serato screen to VDJ and it worked just fine. Granted, i had to do that with all my crates, but it was pretty easy.

I dunno?!?

And thus i provide the solution

www.virtualdj.com
DJRemixEnt 12:09 PM - 13 February, 2013
This is one of some other ways on how to read, import and use serato crates in Virtual DJ or shall we say "HOW TO USE THE SERATO CRATES IN VIRTUAL DJ" Some of you may ask why the new version of the Virtual DJ can not locate the exact location of the serato crates, it is because after few years that Virtual DJ users had benefited it using this awesome supports serato changed the directory on the upgrade it was started i think after the serato v1.6 and the current version of Virtual DJ is still directed into that serato "scratchLIVE" folder. Now after looking into some experiment based on the comparison of the previous and new version of the serato i have found out that there is a changes in the serato directory from "scratchLIVE" to "_serato_" so thats why Virtual DJ can not locate the folder where the crates are stored. So this is what we are going to do. Since the Virtual DJ did some inputs in the programs itself to be able to read serato crates we will let Virtual DJ see and read this folder again by recreating the old folder of serato "scratchLIVE\" and copying all files form _serato_ to this folder, I advised you to backup your serato folder first and don't delete anything as we are only copying its contains meaning an exact files duplication is being made. So here it is, See below the step by step screen shots to guides you how to hack and import the serato crates into the "scratchLIVE" folder:
DJRemixEnt 12:11 PM - 13 February, 2013
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

I dunno?!?

oh ok... i see what you did... but if you just want vdj to open up and natively read your serato crates without dragging and dropping, you just have to follow the above.
Papa Midnight 5:28 PM - 13 February, 2013
Quote:
VDJ has always had a free version and works with ANY sound card out there.

The free version doesn't have broadcast or video capabilities though. Unless you downloaded a hacked version, in which case, prepare for crashes.

Doesn't stop people.
d:raf 6:16 PM - 13 February, 2013
Damn... VDJ Pro 7 costs $299 online, $329 for a physical copy. The features seem impressive, but I could probably never justify the cost.
Papa Midnight 6:38 PM - 13 February, 2013
Quote:
Damn... VDJ Pro 7 costs $299 online, $329 for a physical copy. The features seem impressive, but I could probably never justify the cost.

That's pretty much in line with the cost of other vinyl-emulation software.
d:raf 6:47 PM - 13 February, 2013
Quote:

Usually there's a soundcard/interface included... I didn't see one with VDJ.
Papa Midnight 7:52 PM - 13 February, 2013
Quote:
Quote:

Usually there's a soundcard/interface included... I didn't see one with VDJ.

Atomix doesn't follow the dongle model that other companies do. They market their product to a different market than Serato and Traktor.
d:raf 8:24 PM - 13 February, 2013
Understood, but the fact that there's no interface included puts their cost more on par with DAWs than DVS (fiscally speaking). If you want to use it you -still- have to buy/own a soundcard/controller in addition to the software (unless you want to use your computer's 1/8th out </shudder>), which brings the total cost of actually using VDJ Pro 7 much higher...
Taipanic 8:41 PM - 13 February, 2013
I think their business model is in part to get a lot of newbies early and hook them into the brand. While it could be more expensive in the long run, you can start off with little extra cost and work your way up to more gear, while still playing. Serato/Traktor, use the Dongle method, which is a higher entry cost initially.
Papa Midnight 8:52 PM - 13 February, 2013
Quote:
Understood, but the fact that there's no interface included puts their cost more on par with DAWs than DVS (fiscally speaking). If you want to use it you -still- have to buy/own a soundcard/controller in addition to the software (unless you want to use your computer's 1/8th out </shudder>), which brings the total cost of actually using VDJ Pro 7 much higher...

Granted. But you could just as easily buy a low cost 4|4 asio card, connect it to your mixer, and be done with it.

This comes to mind: www.guitarcenter.com
d:raf 8:57 PM - 13 February, 2013
Quote:

I doubt that you could use turntables with that considering it only has 2 inputs.

That does raise a question though; when picking a soundcard, if you want to use turntables you'd have to pick one with built-in phono preamps (or invest in a phono-line converter), correct?
Papa Midnight 9:33 PM - 13 February, 2013
Quote:
Quote:

I doubt that you could use turntables with that considering it only has 2 inputs.

That does raise a question though; when picking a soundcard, if you want to use turntables you'd have to pick one with built-in phono preamps (or invest in a phono-line converter), correct?

That's true. I was more looking at it for the outputs to a mixer.

They would indeed need more inputs for turntables or even a CDJ, but I'd imagine that most persons purchasing Virtual DJ would likely not be concerned about this as they'd already have the necessary materials (or are using a USB mixer).

Though, I'd imagine most persons using Virtual DJ are most likely using it with a controller.
d:raf 9:55 PM - 13 February, 2013
I could probably use it with my Xone DX, but the price is way too damn high when Traktor does mostly the same thing for a fraction of the price.

That said, I would like to hear what their key lock algorithm sounds like and I wonder if you could connect 2 (or more) controllers to the same computer to control 4/6/12/99 decks... that would be kinda sweet.
ConstantElevation 11:39 PM - 13 February, 2013
Quote:
I could probably use it with my Xone DX, but the price is way too damn high when Traktor does mostly the same thing for a fraction of the price.

That said, I would like to hear what their key lock algorithm sounds like and I wonder if you could connect 2 (or more) controllers to the same computer to control 4/6/12/99 decks... that would be kinda sweet.

YOu can connect more then one controller...... VDj at 300 $ still a solid price... you can also just buy the 4in 4 out sound card from hercules it is about 200-300 bucks and it comes with VDJ PRO i believe... might be wrong. Also Vdj is open to just about any MIDI hardware so the choice is yours... in contrast to Serato. YOU MUST HAVE A SERATO BOX in order to use it. that is about 500-900 $ for a box...... comes down to pick your poison.
Papa Midnight 2:24 AM - 14 February, 2013
Quote:

1) It sounds like shit. However, they promise it will be better with Virtual DJ 8. We shall see.
2) You can.
XCAKID 7:24 PM - 14 February, 2013
Quote:

Actually that depends.

VDJ can use ANY sound card out there. When I first got VDJ 2.5 years ago, I was transitioning out of Traktor, so I already had a Audio4. This worked with VDJ.

Now, when I transitioned to Serato, I had to get a Serato Box which was $499.