Software help archive

A read-only archive of old serato.com help threads.

SL1 Hardware Error? Help!

Product
Scratch Live
Version
-
Hardware
Ortofon | Serato S-120
Computer
-
OS
Platform
-
DJSouluk 1:31 PM - 9 May, 2007
Hi,
I've had Serato for about 3 weeks and never had 1 crash, until today. Everything was working as normal until i renamed a song then the sound went very distorted, everything froze and i had a blue screen saying that my laptop was shut down to prevent it from being damaged.

I then rebooted and loaded serato fine. The problem begins when i plug the SL1 in, the SL1 screen loads in segments, (very slowly) when it's loaded i get a constant USB dropout warning and everything is slow and i'm unable to load any tracks it's as though everything has froze!

Im using a 1 gig Dell Latitude laptop with 512 Ram and no other programs are installed on it.

Any help would be appreciated,

Many thanks,

Soul
DJSouluk 1:36 PM - 9 May, 2007
Ok just checked my event viewer and i have these messages:

1) Generate Activation context failed for Serato Scratch
2) Timed out sending notification of device interface change

Hope they may help
DJSouluk 1:50 PM - 9 May, 2007
Hooked up laptop to net so can copy/paste error messages..seems i've lost a DLL called VC80, i've pasted the logs below and hope someone can make sense of them! Thanks

Event Type: Error
Event Source: SideBySide
Event Category: None
Event ID: 59
Date: 09/05/2007
Time: 14:23:50
User: N/A
Computer: USER-9D98A0BF7C
Description:
Resolve Partial Assembly failed for Microsoft.VC80.MFCLOC. Reference error message: The referenced assembly is not installed on your system.

Event Source: SideBySide
Event ID: 59
Time: 11:48:41
Description:
Generate Activation Context failed for C:\Program Files\Serato\ScratchLIVE\Microsoft.VC80.MFC\MFC80U.DLL. Reference error message: The operation completed successfully.

Event Type: Warning
Event Source: PlugPlayManager
Event ID: 256
Time: 12:05:04
Description:
Timed out sending notification of device interface change to window of "C:\Program Files\Serato\ScratchLIVE\ScratchLIVE.exe"

Event Source: System Error
Event Category: (102)
Event ID: 1003
Time: 14:35:29
Description:
Error code 1000007f, parameter1 00000008, parameter2 80042000, parameter3 00000000, parameter4 00000000.

For more information, see Help and Support Center at go.microsoft.com.
Data:
0000: 53 79 73 74 65 6d 20 45 System E
0008: 72 72 6f 72 20 20 45 72 rror Er
0010: 72 6f 72 20 63 6f 64 65 ror code
0018: 20 31 30 30 30 30 30 37 1000007
0020: 66 20 20 50 61 72 61 6d f Param
0028: 65 74 65 72 73 20 30 30 eters 00
0030: 30 30 30 30 30 38 2c 20 000008,
0038: 38 30 30 34 32 30 30 30 80042000
0040: 2c 20 30 30 30 30 30 30 , 000000
0048: 30 30 2c 20 30 30 30 30 00, 0000
0050: 30 30 30 30 0000

Thanks again,

Soul
DJSouluk 3:57 PM - 9 May, 2007
Hooked up Serato to my PC and it works fine so somehow my laptops files have been corrupted, any ideas on a fix?
Thx
Rane, Support
Zach S 4:00 PM - 9 May, 2007
What operating system is on your laptop?
If you have Vista and don't have the latest beta build I would install it and see if that doesn't fix your issue --> scratchlive.net
DJSouluk 4:39 PM - 9 May, 2007
Hi Zach,

I'm using XP Pro, seratos been running sweet as a nut up until now, i think some laptop files some how got corrupted when it crashed, this happened after i renamed a song (that was actually playing)

Thanks
Rane, Support
Zach S 4:41 PM - 9 May, 2007
You could try deleting the databaseV2 file although if your got a blue screen I would think the problem runs deeper than Scratch LIVE.
Worth a try though.

Completely quit all programs.
Delete the databaseV2 files from the 'Scratch LIVE' folder located in your 'Music' or 'My Music' folder on your internal drive, and in your hidden '.ScratchLIVE' folder on your external drive (only if you have imported tracks off of an external).

To delete the databaseV2 file on your internal drive:

1. Click the 'Start' menu.
2. Click the 'My Music' folder.
3. Click the 'Scratch LIVE' folder.
4. Delete the 'databaseV2' file.

To get to your hidden '.Scratch LIVE' folder on your external hard drive follow these directions:

1. Click on the 'Start' menu.
2. Click on the 'Control Panel'.
3. Make sure your in 'Classic' view (if your not in Classic view you will see a link on the left of the browser that says 'Switch to Classic View').
4. Click on 'Folder Options'.
5. Click on the 'View' tab.
6. Check the 'show hidden files and folders' option.

Now open up your external hard drive and you will see a grayed out .ScratchLIVE folder (hidden folder).

Open it up and delete the databaseV2 file.
DJSouluk 4:45 PM - 9 May, 2007
Thanks gonna give it a shot now, do you think the missing laptop file VC80 could also be an issue?

(Resolve Partial Assembly failed for Microsoft.VC80.MFCLOC. Reference error message: The referenced assembly is not installed on your system.)
Rane, Support
Zach S 4:46 PM - 9 May, 2007
I'm not sure about that. I've never heard of that file?
Let us know how you get along.
DJSouluk 4:48 PM - 9 May, 2007
I thought that that file was needed to run serato?

Generate Activation Context failed for C:\Program Files\Serato\ScratchLIVE\Microsoft.VC80.MFC\MFC80U.DLL.)
Rane, Support
Zach S 4:51 PM - 9 May, 2007
It might.. I've never come across that file as tech support but I'm also not a computer tech or developer.
One of the Serato guys might be able to answer that though.
I'll get them to chime in.
DJSouluk 4:52 PM - 9 May, 2007
Ok many thanks Zach,

Gonna delete V2 file and test and i'll report back.
DJSouluk 5:18 PM - 9 May, 2007
Deleted V2 files but still have the same problem, as soon as the interface is connected i get constant USB droputs, even the mouse moves slowly or freezes for a few secs..need to get it fixed soon for my gig on the weekend!

At least i know its not a hardware issue with the box, as it works fine on my desktop.
Rane, Support
Zach S 6:26 PM - 9 May, 2007
Have you tried your other usb port(s)?
Make sure your not using a usb hub/splitter.
Can you roll back to a restore point?
DJSouluk 8:50 PM - 9 May, 2007
Yep tried other ports, and system restore also no hub, still no joy.

Everything points to when serato/laptop crashed and i had a blue screen, corrupting some files needed for serato. If thats the case i need to know what files to restore. The error messages seem to back this up.
Rane, Support
Shaun W 9:09 PM - 9 May, 2007
Try reinstalling the latest version 1.7.1 and see if that does the trick.
DJSouluk 9:28 PM - 9 May, 2007
Thx Shaun, tried that also..but still same prob :(
DJ_AL 10:22 PM - 9 May, 2007
hey guys i dont know where exactly to post this kind of problem...hopefully someone can help me out with this:

I dont know whats wrong but my laptop turns off the screen every once in a while and the only way for me to get it back is by rebooting (yea...not kool!) lol anyways when this happens the music still plays and everything...even if i have song already loaded on the other deck i can go ahead and play it and mix it but thats about it...after i play those 2 songs (song already playing when the monitor turned off and the song that was already loaded on the other deck) i can't do anything else..so in a sense i dont think that it is happening because is freezing...is gotta be something else...also, it happens whenver...it could be 2 hours into the mix or 20 minutes into the mixing or whatever...is not like it happens after an hour or anything like that....what am i doing wrong!?!?! help please!
Konix 10:24 PM - 9 May, 2007
DJ_AL, please post your problem in a new thread, so we can keep this one on track. Are you using a Toshiba laptop by any chance?
DJ_AL 3:43 AM - 10 May, 2007
ok my bad....im using a dell inspiron 1300
DJSouluk 7:07 AM - 10 May, 2007
Thx for keeping my thread on track Konix, im still hoping that someone can help me with a fix soon, really need this fixed b4 my gig on Sat!
DJSouluk 8:56 AM - 11 May, 2007
OK worked out that VC80.MFC\MFC80U.DLL. is part of NetFramework 2.0. Re-installed that and the errors relating to that have gone, however i still have the same prob re constant droputs as soon as the box is plugged in.

The remaining error in Event viewer is:
Timed out sending notification of device interface change to window of "C:\Program Files\Serato\ScratchLIVE\ScratchLIVE.exe"

Can someone from Rane please give me an idea of where to go from here, one reason i bought serato is because of the 'supposed' great technical support, its been over 2 days and my gigs tmrw night so now would be a good time for some of that great 'rane service!'

Thanks,

Soul
DJ Francis.K 1:56 PM - 11 May, 2007
Well, it seems that u solved 1 of the 2 problems, wich was the MFC80U.DLL file problem...
The 2nd problem seems to be with the ScratchLive.exe itself...
have u tried uninstalling the ScratchLive software, (if u have the time, delete the ScratchLive folders, including crates, etc.) and re-installing it again (and if u deleted crates and etc., re-building overviews)?

By my experience, ur entire problem seems to be not 100% ScratchLive related (i mean, not caused by ur ScratchLive) but a Operative System conflict that may have some files to go awire (including ur ScratchLive software, who probably was running when the conflict occured).
If the re-installation of ScratchLive software doesn't work, it'll probably confirm my OS relation and i would reccomend a computer format to bring it back to 0.

Hope this helps. Cheers and good mixes.
Rane, Support
Zach S 7:23 PM - 11 May, 2007
I understand your frustration but from what you had said above the problem was beyond ScratchLIVE and was an internal Windows issue.
I did forward the thread to the Serato team (the computer developers and techs) and I will apologize on their behalf that they haven't been able to chime in.

From looking at this thread I would think the "supposed" great technical support from Rane was infact doing its job.

With that said, have you tried uninstalling the program completely and re installing it?
DJSouluk 5:04 PM - 12 May, 2007
Francis, thanks good advice, i've come to the same conclusion as you. A format is the last option though as im using a Dell Latitude 400 which doesnt recognise USB after a format (CD drive is USB)

Zach, i think this is an internal windows issue caused (or contributed to) by scratchlive, my laptop only has SL installed on it and the crash happened when i renamed the song that was playing..the music that was playing went all wierd then bsod.

As mentioned in an earlier thread i have tried re-installing SL but to no effect.

The worrying thing for me is that now i have lost a lot of my confidence in using SL at a gig..if you cant depend on it then whats the point?

You have been helpful with your support but unfortunately this is beyond you & me so I'm hoping that the Serato team can still jump in and shed some light on this problem..
nobspangle 4:25 PM - 13 May, 2007
Since the problem starts to occur when the interface is plugged in I would try reinstalling the drivers.
To do this:-
Plug the SL 1 in
open device manager
expand the USB tree
click on the Serato USB device
press delete
unplug the SL 1
plug the SL 1 back in
Windows should prompt for the drivers
Serato, Moderator
Andy W 10:58 PM - 13 May, 2007
Nobspangle's advice is good, it's extremely rare for any part of ScratchLIVE other than the drivers to cause a Blue Screen Of Death, if removing and reinstalling the SL1 driver doesn't help it's quite possible that you have a problem with your install of Windows or the computer itself.

In case you're having trouble finding the Device Manager, right click My Computer on the desktop or in the Start menu, and select Properties... Go to the "Hardware" tab and click on "Device Manager", then follow the steps nobspangle gave above.

Have you made sure your machine is virus free? A full virus scan, and hard disk check is probably a good idea if you suddenly find yourself having really crazy problems like this. Do the driver reinstall first, if that doesn't work post back on here, meanwhile I'll try to find out a bit more about the problem...
mikep 5:41 PM - 16 May, 2007
Quote:
my laptop only has SL installed on it and the crash happened when i renamed the song that was playing..the music that was playing went all wierd then bsod.

As mentioned in an earlier thread i have tried re-installing SL but to no effect.

1st, why would you try renaming an active file (song while playing)? This would be likely to cause wierdness.

2nd, did you uninstall SSL and the driver before reinstalling SSL and the driver?