Serato DJ Pro General Discussion

Talk about Serato DJ Pro, expansion packs and supported hardware

Innofader for VCI-300

DJJorel 8:58 PM - 22 December, 2010
I know one of the biggest drawbacks of the VCI-300 (not the MKII) is the crossfader. Having to replace it one day inevitable, but I still haven't come across anybody who has actually replaced it.

So I emailed Elliot Marx at Innofader and he asked me a couple of questions that I couldn't answer. That is why I'm posting here. It seems he is willing to explore the possibility, but he is missing some information. I've never opened up my VCI-300, so I don't have this info myself. Here is what he asked for:

1. Pics and measurements of the crossfader installation
2. If it would be possible to install the Innofader if there was an angled stem.

Thanks in advance for any help. I am sure there are a lot of DJs out there who would like to install and Innofader in their VCI-300s.
Rebelguy 9:03 PM - 22 December, 2010
Why don't you just open yours up? At least you could learn about the insides for future upgrades cleaning you may need to do.
DJJorel 9:40 PM - 22 December, 2010
I probably will...I just thought it would be convenient if somebody had the info handy...
kraal 10:21 PM - 22 December, 2010
the guys at innofader know good and well the innofader WILL NOT fit in a vci-300
DJJorel 10:31 PM - 22 December, 2010
Quote:
the guys at innofader know good and well the innofader WILL NOT fit in a vci-300

I was thinking that too...but I was hoping he would use the info for maybe a mini Innofader. Well...here's to hoping...
kraal 10:33 PM - 22 December, 2010
well there is talks of a mini one but has not been anounced maybe he has a working model?
DJJorel 7:05 PM - 1 May, 2011
Sorry to revive an old thread, but after working with Elliot (over email) by sending back and forth a lot of pics and measurements, he has found a way to get the Innofader to fit in a VCI-300.

I have been testing it for a short while and it works great. The difference between the Innofader and the stock fader is almost night and day. The install was also relatively easy.

So, for those that own VCI-300s and hate the stock fader, sit tight as apparently it will be coming to market real soon.

Big props to Elliot as this all started from a casual conversation at NAMM. I am not a big name or touring DJ, but it was refreshing that he was willing to help out a DJ who is not really famous by any means...
kraal 8:29 PM - 1 May, 2011
Very good news
Dj Ace 8:48 PM - 1 May, 2011
nice...will it work in the VCI 300 mk1?
Ragman 1:37 AM - 2 May, 2011
I think that's what he's talking about.
DJJorel 1:41 AM - 2 May, 2011
Yes, I have it installed in the MK1. I am not sure if it will work in the MK2. It should, but I'm not positive.

Ace, PM me and I can send you some pics on how we got the Innofader to fit.
amada32 1:20 PM - 2 May, 2011
Quote:
Yes, I have it installed in the MK1. I am not sure if it will work in the MK2. It should, but I'm not positive.

Ace, PM me and I can send you some pics on how we got the Innofader to fit.

Very interested in how this was done, especially since the innofader is at least twice as deep as the vci.

If they ever sold a plug and play innofader for the vci, I would probably buy it over the vestax replacement fader.

Are you not able to post the pics publicly? This is something I would be very interested in seeing, maybe even some video or audio demonstrating the cut with the innofader installed.

*tracking
kraal 1:30 PM - 2 May, 2011
last i heard they were making a compact innofader for controllers --- is this one of those ?
DJJorel 5:22 PM - 2 May, 2011
I will post a couple of pics when I get home from work. When you open up the VCI, Elliot made a bracket and an L-Shaped stem so that the actual fader lies flat. The kit will come with some insulation that will lie between the Innofader and the PCBs for the volume faders and the level LEDs.

So, instead of re-engineering a new fader, he just made the current Innofader work with the VCI. I don't think it can be a retrofit for the current Innofader either, since the stem is a little different from the one that is currently on the market.

Apparenly, this "Innobender" variation will be able to be applied in other mixers and controllers, such as the Stanton m series, the Kontrol S4, and the DJM400...or other pieces of equipment that do not currently have the clearance for an Innofader.
Maskrider 5:58 PM - 2 May, 2011
When is this thing coming out? Very much interested.
polobreaka 8:49 PM - 2 May, 2011
thats exciting news. ive been searching for the vestax cf-x2 but it looks like its not available?
DJJorel 9:00 PM - 2 May, 2011
I am not sure about a release date. As far as I know, they are just making small adjustments before it actually goes into production.
Maskrider 9:05 PM - 2 May, 2011
Count me in on that PM me or something when that thing comes out. I'm gonna be tied with my VCI300 for awhile.
DJJorel 5:41 AM - 11 May, 2011
Man....sorry I've been lagging guys. Instead of trying to explain what Elliot came up with, here is a link to some pictures on how the Innofader is installed...

flic.kr
Warren T. 6:21 AM - 11 May, 2011
Wow! That's properly awesome. Props for taking the initiative to get the VCI-300, and hopefully other controllers, Innofaded. This is great news to MK1 owners like me. While I can cut & crab just fine with the stock fader, having the ability to adjust the tension to my liking is a big plus. The only problem now will be providing instructions for the installation when this comes out. How hard is it to open up the casing of the VCI and installing it?
Maskrider 6:37 AM - 11 May, 2011
Quote:
Man....sorry I've been lagging guys. Instead of trying to explain what Elliot came up with, here is a link to some pictures on how the Innofader is installed...

flic.kr

Give us a heads up when this comes out.
DJJorel 6:41 AM - 11 May, 2011
If you can use a screwdriver, you can do it. There is really nothing to pry, break open, or desolder.

It really breathes new life into my VCI. I didn't think that it would make much of a difference, but it does. I am a huge fan of the feel of the old Vestax faders, and this Innofader is the closest I have used. I have one in my 57, and even though the Rane fader is nice, the Innofader makes the mixer a lot more fun for me....

I will try to do an Installation video when the fader is coming out. The great news is that the kit will go into production real soon...soon meaning within the next few days.
Maskrider 7:10 AM - 11 May, 2011
Nice Thanks for the info.
Dj Ace 2:01 AM - 12 May, 2011
Nice put me down for one! Can't wait
Dj Ace 4:13 AM - 24 May, 2011
bump
djchriscruz 1:30 PM - 24 May, 2011
NICE!! I'm glad I didn't pay extra for the MKII which has a upgradable with a Xfader that HAS NOT even been released.
Dj Fitty 12:58 PM - 25 May, 2011
put me down
DJred24 10:41 PM - 25 May, 2011
No shit sweet. But then if it can be done for VCI hopefully NS6 can be done as well.
thebulge 4:45 AM - 31 May, 2011
I've got a CF-X2 installed finally. It's VERY nice.

serato.com
Dj Ace 6:14 AM - 31 May, 2011
any word on the innofader?
Dj Fitty 2:41 PM - 28 June, 2011
just talked to someone at innofader and they said it will be a few months until it is released
haze324 4:40 PM - 28 June, 2011
what about the Pro X fader that works on the VCI-100. Does that one fit?
Dj Fitty 8:42 PM - 28 June, 2011
@ Haze324 I think it does with modifications to the vci or making a bracket to hold the fader in place.
emarx 4:41 AM - 4 July, 2011
Quote:
just talked to someone at innofader and they said it will be a few months until it is released

Actually they're coming off of the production line the next week or two. We already have a few retailers pre-ordering. So figure pretty soon...
Dj Ace 8:01 AM - 4 July, 2011
@emarx

when it is available please let us know here thanks.
Dj Ace 6:09 AM - 13 July, 2011
is the innobender the right fader for the vci 300 mk1?
emarx 6:57 AM - 16 July, 2011
We're shipping the Innobender scheduled date is July 20th. First shipments going to the US and the UK. Defintely the VCI-300 MKI will work, as well as the MKII.
Dj Ace 7:12 AM - 16 July, 2011
where can i get it?
Dj Ace 7:12 AM - 16 July, 2011
easy to install?
emarx 12:31 PM - 16 July, 2011
In the US: So far Turntable Lab, AGI Pro, and DJ Deals
In the UK: various dealers please contact Oli Ackroyd <info@scratchproaudio.co.uk>

As far as ease of installation, you can do it with basic tools but you should take the time to do it properly. You need to take off the entire chassis. It's also a little tricky with getting the cables and adapter boards to fit and insulated, but they do fit just fine. DJJorel could give you more pointers.
Dj Ace 3:57 PM - 16 July, 2011
thanks
Maskrider 4:54 PM - 16 July, 2011
I'm waiting for this thanks for the info.
amada32 8:26 PM - 16 July, 2011
@DJJorel: Does the adapter board move around a lot inside the vci? Or is it a snug fit?
DJJorel 9:42 PM - 16 July, 2011
Quote:
@DJJorel: Does the adapter board move around a lot inside the vci? Or is it a snug fit?

It's a snug fit...no real movement at all...
amada32 12:56 PM - 18 July, 2011
Thanks for the info.

As soon as AGI has the "Innobender" on their site, I'm probably going to buy. RIght now, they just have the kit for the DJM-400 and I'm not sure if the DJM-400 kit has all of the hardware necessary for a VCI-300.
Dj Ace 3:27 AM - 19 July, 2011
+1
DJ LIL M 3:31 AM - 19 July, 2011
nice
kraal 7:06 AM - 19 July, 2011
Quote:
Thanks for the info.

As soon as AGI has the "Innobender" on their site, I'm probably going to buy. RIght now, they just have the kit for the DJM-400 and I'm not sure if the DJM-400 kit has all of the hardware necessary for a VCI-300.

try calling them --- i called asking about the innofader pro before it was out and they said the had one to sell me
Javier drada 11:21 PM - 19 July, 2011
Yeah definitely picking on up, how is the curve adjust? I like to set mine for extended blends and I haven't been able to get the right curve on my VCI300MKII, so I disable the crossfader and use the line faders to mix. I am an oldschool cat, long crossfader blends or knobs.
emarx 10:38 AM - 20 July, 2011
Javier: The Innofader has it's own curve adjustment so you can lengthen the blend. If you get one, you should try adjusting it to get the exact blend you are looking for.

Jorel: How did you set the Innofader curve on your VCI-300?
Javier drada 2:21 PM - 20 July, 2011
I am familiar with the product I was just wondering if in the VCI it was different than in a standard mixer, thanks for the info. Definitely gonna grab one of these.
DJJorel 12:31 AM - 21 July, 2011
I made sure switch was set to sharp before I set the curve on the Innofader. I then set the curve on the Innofader to be sharp as well. I then tested it with the switch in the more gradual setting, and it works perfect for me for both cutting and mixing purposes.

@Javier...once you get the Innofader, just follow the instructions to get the curve you want. It is really easy to do.
amada32 6:50 PM - 6 August, 2011
@Emarx: I just ordered an Innobender kit for my VCI-300 MKII and I should have it in a few days. Is there any difference in installing the Innobender in a VCI-300 MKII? I'm crossing my fingers that it will work the same way as the original VCI-300.

@DJJorel: Was the installation plug and play? Meaning that no jumper wires have to be switched. The instructions look pretty simple, but I saw with some brands the power wires have to be reversed so as not to damage the mixer and I don't want to toast my VCI.

By the way, props to you two for getting this done. I can't wait to get the innofader in my VCI.
DJJorel 12:33 AM - 7 August, 2011
Quote:
@Emarx: I just ordered an Innobender kit for my VCI-300 MKII and I should have it in a few days. Is there any difference in installing the Innobender in a VCI-300 MKII? I'm crossing my fingers that it will work the same way as the original VCI-300.

@DJJorel: Was the installation plug and play? Meaning that no jumper wires have to be switched. The instructions look pretty simple, but I saw with some brands the power wires have to be reversed so as not to damage the mixer and I don't want to toast my VCI.

By the way, props to you two for getting this done. I can't wait to get the innofader in my VCI.

I had to reverse pins 1 and 4 on the connector for the crossfader. It's actually really easy to switch the pins. By the way, Eliot was the one who got everything done, all I did was plug it in.
amada32 2:25 AM - 7 August, 2011
Quote:
Quote:

I had to reverse pins 1 and 4 on the connector for the crossfader. It's actually really easy to switch the pins. By the way, Eliot was the one who got everything done, all I did was plug it in.

Thanks. I'm gonna e-mail support if I run into any problems.
amada32 5:22 AM - 9 August, 2011
Update (for anyone that is still on the fence about purchasing an innofader):

I bought an innobender kit from AGI Pro DJ and got it in 2 days. Definitely recommend buying from them if anyone decides to get an innofader for their VCI. Ty is super cool and they have great customer service.

Installation is plug and play with the innobender kit. No pin reversal is required. If you have the MKII you can install the innobender from the fader access panel on the bottom of the mixer(that's what I did). The whole process took about 10 minutes.

The difference between the innofader (right out of the box with no adjustments) and the stock VCI-300 (Alpha) fader is definitely night and day. I'm glad I bought the innofader over the Vestax CF-X2 because the innofader does not require a "firmware upgrade". I basically followed the installation instructions on the web site and it worked in the VCI without issue.

I really wish the hardware companies would contract with audio innovative to have innofaders as the "stock" faders in mixers and controllers instead of having the innofaders as aftermarket replacements (I think Ecler has done this). Either way, I agree with the statement about the innofader breathing new life into a VCI. The innofader in my VCI feels just like the fader in my 57 (maybe even a little better).

HUGE PROPS TO ELLIOTT AND DJJOREL FOR PIONEERING THIS PROJECT.
emarx 4:30 AM - 13 August, 2011
Hey amada32,

Thanks for your feedback. Since he had to reverse the fader wires on the first sample, I just made sure for the production parts that we already had the wiring properly setup. I actually went through 200 adapters on the production line to reverse the wires (Pioneer DJM-400s require the same thing)

DJJorel thanks for your help!

Elliot
Dj Ace 4:45 AM - 13 August, 2011
order link for the new "reversed wire fader" please? anyone?
emarx 3:29 PM - 13 August, 2011
www.audioinnovate.com

The product is called the "Innobender" which is actually an Innofader designed to fit at an angle in controllers and some mixers:
www.innofader.com.

"Reversed wire fader" that name sounds kinda scary!

Elliot
Javier drada 6:23 PM - 18 August, 2011
I installed one on my VCI300MKII and its real nice.
DJ LIL M 8:38 PM - 25 September, 2011
thinkin about buyin one
KE7 4:37 PM - 3 December, 2011
As a noobie to installations and such does anyone have an instructional video to installing this on a vci 300 mk1 ? would be a lot better then looking at the pics on the innofader site !
odonov8 5:26 AM - 8 December, 2011
Hello KE7,

I've talked to Jorel, know he's working on doing a video for this.
KE7 5:52 AM - 8 December, 2011
Thanks that would be great !
pakuz_757 6:14 PM - 3 January, 2012
Does anyone know if you can buy just the innobender kit? I already have the innofader in my Allen & Heath but want to throw it in my VCI. I didn't want to have to buy another innofader. Thanks
emarx 7:11 AM - 4 January, 2012
@pakuz_757 please email me directly sales at audioinnovate dot com. I can arrange to do a trade-in for you.
Dj Fitty 4:15 PM - 23 August, 2012
Just got my innofader 2 days ago, Its great!
soulprovider 8:04 PM - 15 October, 2012
Wassup everyone I just bought a VCI-300 Mk II to use at my sister's wedding. I need the ease and portability of the setup. Anyhow I just about a Innobender. I wasnt' really happy with the cut-in time ( I come from a battle background..hahhaa). Anyways, I could just install the fader (of course intalled the L-bracket to the fader) without doing any customizing? Thanks in advance!
DJ CAPRO 12:26 AM - 16 October, 2012
^ think you missed a word above. You mean you as asking about the Innobender?

Cut in time is as sharp as you make it using the dials on the fader, it's a bit of trial and error but you can make it as sharp as anything straight to bleeding. No other customizing needed other than using the rubber wire sleeve that the kit comes with.
soulprovider 7:09 AM - 16 October, 2012
so I had a hard time installing the innofader... I used the these instructions...

www.innofader.com

i was confused to which adapter to use.. any help please?
DJ CAPRO 6:50 PM - 17 October, 2012
the 4th image is for the VCI... that page is a bit confusing but so long as you only use those parts it's not too difficult to figure out

here's a better instruction page, the final image is the VCI 300 on there too

in a nutshell you have to take the old crossfader (CF) wire and connect it to the long circuit board piece which then goes in that red insulator tube
DJ CAPRO 6:51 PM - 17 October, 2012
forgot to post the link :)

www.djworx.com
soulprovider 8:42 PM - 17 October, 2012
@djcapro thanks for the advice...hopefully this works out

"in a nutshell you have to take the old crossfader (CF) wire and connect it to the long circuit board piece which then goes in that red insulator tube"

i think that's the key
soulprovider 11:45 PM - 1 November, 2012
update... was able to install the innofader.. that thing is nice.. reminds me of the rane faders which I like more than the vestax ones...
RiceCube 9:07 AM - 24 May, 2013
Do any of you know anyone that installed a CF-X2 into a Vestax PMC-05 mixer? I bought a CF-X2 off eBay but the damn seller doesn't have the U-shaped support bracket so I can't install this in my VCI-380. I believe you do NOT need the support bracket for a PMC installation so I am trying to find someone that may have an extra bracket (installed CF-X2 in a PMC mixer). Any help? I'm desperate! Thanks.
Littles 4:39 PM - 20 July, 2013
Watchwww.youtube.com

Vestax vci 380 with innofader inside
ral 8:34 PM - 11 November, 2013
haven't seen vci-400 in the compatible mixer for innofader - i thought the vci-300 / vci-400 uses the same crossfader size ???