DJing Discussion

This area is for discussion about DJing in general. Please remember the community rules when posting and try to be polite and inclusive.

How many of out here Break Dance or Used to?

Dj Maxim S 6:53 AM - 2 May, 2007
I used to break dance, freestyle and liquid pop while i was at skewl and startin uni and i stopped breaking ever since i banged my knee while practicing air flares...(painful)

any one still does it around here?
Mr. Wright 8:42 AM - 2 May, 2007
I used ti break, liquid, pop etc but ive fell off. Let myself get married, divorced, and have a kid all by age 22. Wow... i miss being younger.
Nicky Blunt 9:04 AM - 2 May, 2007
I used to break but Im not still doin that! Been a long while since I even thought about breakin!

I may have to pull out beatstreet tonight now!
Mr. Wright 9:12 AM - 2 May, 2007
Beatstreet hahah... i think its time
Nicky Blunt 9:14 AM - 2 May, 2007
You know it!

I have it on DVD watched it once when I bought it about 5 6 years back & its never seen the light of day since!

Needs to be done!
fadedp 9:46 AM - 2 May, 2007
i couldnt break dance so i picked up djing
poloi3eai2 12:33 PM - 2 May, 2007
I think every Filipino kid has gone through a phase of break dancing. I was into it for a little bit and then my friend showed me up so I picked up DJing ahaha.
Konix 12:55 PM - 2 May, 2007
I break and still do. Although I'm old school and a little out of shape and practice. I can do flares and windmills and flips, but that's about it. Some of the power moves I see people doing today, damn.
sixxx 2:23 PM - 2 May, 2007
I used to breakdance back in the 80's. Yup. When it was fresh.
Nicky Blunt 2:37 PM - 2 May, 2007
Quote:

same as that!
DJ Rumor 2:58 PM - 2 May, 2007
I was a b-boy for years, really into the NYC scene. I had a crew called 2 Steps Ahead, we battled all around the East Coast. I also DJ'd b-boy battles (still do it today every now and then).

B-boying really enhanced my musical knowledge, which has made me a better DJ as a result. Rocking doubles of classic Breaks is still probably my favorite thing to do on the turntables.
Nicky Blunt 3:07 PM - 2 May, 2007
Quote:
B-boying really enhanced my musical knowledge, which has made me a better DJ as a result. Rocking doubles of classic Breaks is still probably my favorite thing to do on the turntables.

You & me both my man!
CMOS 6:13 PM - 2 May, 2007
I had mad beads back in the day.
Thundercat 7:46 PM - 2 May, 2007
Quote:

Ahem, word. That's me. Back in the 80's when a fly ass windmill was the ultimate power move. We did have one local dude that was a competition gymnast however...only person I ever saw do a thomas flare back in the day. I even taught break dance classes to privelaged suburbanites at a local dance school once it went mainstream. I stopped by there recently to see the owner about ballet lessons for my daughter. She still has one of my group's old flyers in her top desk drawer.
Audio1 7:51 PM - 2 May, 2007
bboyed back in the 90's, in a crew named Hayward Combo Breakers. We used to session with Miscellaneous and Rock4CE crews out in the East Bay (Hayward / Union City)
Dj KaGeN 9:39 PM - 2 May, 2007
I give a ton of credit to the cats that break dance... Shit is fun as hell to watch..
OakLawnDJ 10:33 PM - 2 May, 2007
I used to break... but I was never really that great. I had great up-rocking and popping moves, but my power moves were limited. I can still do some of it (and I still mess around with the footwork behind the DJ stand when I'm rocking a track that I love).
DJ Bonus 6:12 AM - 3 May, 2007
I'm in breakdance club here at school. We have an annual fund raiser, over $10,000 was donated to charities. It's a club of about 2 dozen.
DJ Bonus 6:13 AM - 3 May, 2007
poloi3eai2 6:53 AM - 3 May, 2007
^^Circles at jmu is one of the few if not the only BBoy battle in VA that alot of people look foward to going to. All the other battles around VA have died down. On another note I'm tired of hearing the same damn breaks at bboy battles all the time. Babe Ruth and Apache get really old after hearing it EVERY battle. I wish the bboy battle DJ's would play some real hip hop shit like some Nice & Smooth or Das Efx.
DJ Greg J 4:19 PM - 3 May, 2007
^^^ Babe Ruth and Apache are the bomb. They'll always get played because if you're a b-boy you can't help but get down, or at the very least bust some uprock, when you hear songs like that ...or Just Begun, or Give It Up Turn It Loose, The Champ, etc

.....but b-boys have definitely expanded the playlist. Chemical Brothers - Chemical Beats, and other select big beat tracks like some Wiseguys tracks, even some older Bassbin Twins stuff, gets play pretty often at b-boy nights.

Started b-boyin' in the 80's and never really stopped. I still get down in circles, or even start them, sometimes even in upscale clubs, but definitely don't have stamina like I used to, so I usually stick to uprock + the occasional 1990.
DJ_Mike_Coquilla 10:46 PM - 16 June, 2008
is this guy for reals?

cico
Watchwww.youtube.com
Shawny D 1:00 AM - 17 June, 2008
Hell yeah I used to b-boy! Beat Street is what got me into it, that scene at the Roxy between the NYC Breakers and Rock Steady Crew is what set it off for me. Although I never got super-good at it (still can't windmill after 10 years of trying), I remember many nights spent analyzing that scene and copying (or "biting") their moves and can still rock the floor with some level of competency.

Despite the fact that I'm content making other bodies move, I still whip out my toprock to six-step to side-freeze combo. (I try to get into the circle early-on because I don't want to follow up a tough act, haha.)
bboyrealone 2:02 AM - 17 June, 2008
Hence the name, I was a bboy. My actual bboying days ended when I broke my ankle. I still go to the Rock Steady and Floor Lordz (Boston bboy crew) events every now and then, but that's about it. These crazy kids to air flars and power freezes is way more than I could do.
bboyrealone 2:06 AM - 17 June, 2008
Quote:
is this guy for reals?

cico
Watchwww.youtube.com

Yeah, he does air tracks on his elbows, and he has the best 90 and 2000 I have even seen. However he lost in the first round of the BC one classic to Pelezino from Brazil.
DJ GaFFle 10:42 AM - 20 June, 2008
Quote:
Quote:
is this guy for reals?

cico
Watchwww.youtube.com

Yeah, he does air tracks on his elbows, and he has the best 90 and 2000 I have even seen. However he lost in the first round of the BC one classic to Pelezino from Brazil.

Very impressive. How is his footwork or is he strictly known for his power moves?
skratchworx 7:18 PM - 20 June, 2008
Those are the most insane power moves I've seen. But having been a b-boy since 83, I'm happier watching Ken Swift and Mr WIggles busting original style than this exhibition of doubtlessly impressive acrobatics.
dj shadow from detroit 7:25 PM - 20 June, 2008
i admit it!
when i was 10 i got caught stilling batteries for my radio so me and my cousin could walk up and down vernor ave ( which is a busy detroit street ) and battle break dancing on the corners :)
DJ_Mike_Coquilla 10:31 PM - 20 June, 2008
Quote:
Those are the most insane power moves I've seen. But having been a b-boy since 83, I'm happier watching Ken Swift and Mr WIggles busting original style than this exhibition of doubtlessly impressive acrobatics.

+1

big fan of Ken Swift's footwork
DJ_Mike_Coquilla 10:48 PM - 20 June, 2008
Watchwww.youtube.com

scroll to the 0:20 marker