DJing Discussion

This area is for discussion about DJing in general. Please remember the community rules when posting and try to be polite and inclusive.

Westwood!! Sucks? Or not?

Dj Maxim S 6:45 AM - 2 May, 2007
what do you guys think of tim westwood as a dj and as the uk pimp my ride presenter...

i hvnt heard him spin soo i cnt comment on tht but people have told me tht he aint tht gr8(tht goes for trevor nelson too..people say trevor nelson was good)

i have seen westwood present pimp my ride and he suck at it...tried to copy everything off Xzibit(he rockz)
Nicky Blunt 9:42 AM - 2 May, 2007
Westwood sucks as a dj! he uses another guy behind the sceenes called semtex! he is dope!

& only has one arm! (true story)
The E Head 9:42 AM - 2 May, 2007
westwood is nothing more than an embarresment

he is absloute shit on decks and make a fool of himself everytime he opens his mouth, how he got a show on radio 1 is beyond me
sweetL 5:57 PM - 2 May, 2007
here we go again.

first off, westwood isnt a great dj, no, and i dont think he even tries to mix.

second, he is terrible on pimp my ride, i agree

third, he isnt trying to be anything, he just is what he is. iv spoken to him and had a relatively normal conversation with him, his accent is a product of who he speaks to, its not forced.

right then.

semtex doesnt sit behind the scenes, except when westwood wants a live dj set, and then yes, semtex does it, and as a dj, he is the bomb... semtex has his own show on 1xtra.

westwood got to where he was now because he knew more about hiphop than you do now, when you were in nappys. back in the 80s when hiphop wasnt even an american thing, it was basically a new york thing and thats it - westwood was getting guys over in the uk, interviews, playing their music. he was one of hiphops pioneers as far as playing and pushing the music went over here in the uk... THAT is why he deserves respect... but you know, people either dont know, or they forgot...

ill choose to respect the guy for what he did, even tho i dont rate him as a dj, or pimp my ride presenter.
Nicky Blunt 6:00 PM - 2 May, 2007
Quote:
here we go again.

first off, westwood isnt a great dj, no, and i dont think he even tries to mix.

second, he is terrible on pimp my ride, i agree

third, he isnt trying to be anything, he just is what he is. iv spoken to him and had a relatively normal conversation with him, his accent is a product of who he speaks to, its not forced.

right then.

semtex doesnt sit behind the scenes, except when westwood wants a live dj set, and then yes, semtex does it, and as a dj, he is the bomb... semtex has his own show on 1xtra.

westwood got to where he was now because he knew more about hiphop than you do now, when you were in nappys. back in the 80s when hiphop wasnt even an american thing, it was basically a new york thing and thats it - westwood was getting guys over in the uk, interviews, playing their music. he was one of hiphops pioneers as far as playing and pushing the music went over here in the uk... THAT is why he deserves respect... but you know, people either dont know, or they forgot...

ill choose to respect the guy for what he did, even tho i dont rate him as a dj, or pimp my ride presenter.

Im not saying I dont respect what he has done for hip hop here in the uk as he was truly a pioneer of the sound! There is no denying that! But as you said yourself he's no great shakes as a dj thats all i was saying! & Thats what I ment with regards to semtex for the live shows!

Sorry if i never made myself clear enough
sweetL 7:49 PM - 2 May, 2007
Quote:
Im not saying I dont respect what he has done for hip hop here in the uk as he was truly a pioneer of the sound! There is no denying that! But as you said yourself he's no great shakes as a dj thats all i was saying! & Thats what I ment with regards to semtex for the live shows!

Sorry if i never made myself clear enough

nah thats fair enough dude... just get fed up of kids all around me cussin westwood (or worse, callin me westwood cause im white an like hiphop)... i guess its officially, a sore subject
DJBlisk 8:48 PM - 2 May, 2007
Semtex's shows are sick.
Nicky Blunt 8:50 PM - 2 May, 2007
Quote:
Semtex's shows are sick.

co-sign!

sky + that shit all day long mate! for one week the bumpo it for the next one!
Dj Maxim S 4:37 AM - 3 May, 2007
well..anyones got anything else to say ? :)
DJ Greg J 5:33 AM - 3 May, 2007
Quote:
back in the 80s when hiphop wasnt even an american thing

hip hop was huge all through the 80's, that's when it blew up everywhere ....b-boys were featured on the olympics. It was exclusively a NY thing in the late 70's, when it was pretty much just Kool Herc doing his thing for the block party.
sweetL 11:20 AM - 3 May, 2007
ok.

back in the late 70s when hiphop was only a new york thing, westwood new the djs, he knew the mc's, and he knew the breaks.
Bigfourty4 12:44 PM - 3 May, 2007
you need to check this video out. Gives you a whole new view of NYC, and where some of the major artists got started

Watchyoutube.com
Monk-A 1:47 PM - 3 May, 2007
yeah in all fairness, he's been a great ambassador for Hip Hop in the UK.

Back when eh did the daily hip hop shows on LWR he was the MAN and he's always been respected.

Yeah i don't like the whole attitude since he got involved in the whole Flex "Big Dog" crew, and he's never been a DJ's DJ, he's always been a selecta.

But you can't argue with teh pedigree, he love hip hop be ti club sh*t or the orginal underground stuff and he has always chamioned it all, including UK stuff overseas taking the grime core stuff to amrica and onwards.

the man may not be your cup fo tea, he certainly isnt mine, but he deffo deserves respect for waht he's achieved.
Nicky Blunt 1:49 PM - 3 May, 2007
Quote:
The man may not be your cup fo tea, he certainly isnt mine, but he deffo deserves respect for waht he's achieved.

Thats basically what i was saying earlier!

Just im not such an eloquent speaker