Software help archive

A read-only archive of old serato.com help threads.

reccomend minimum/reccomended computer!!

Product
Scratch Live
Version
-
Hardware
Ortofon | Serato S-120
Computer
-
OS
Platform
-
frankie c 6:16 PM - 5 August, 2004
Hi,
I am now searching for the right laptop to use with this. What would be a reccomended cpu speed/ram to get this thing rinning REAL NICE and reliable with the lowest latency?.....what cpus are NOT reccomended?...can i get by with a cheaper cpu?...(celeron or centrino)?.....i am leaning twoard a dell laptop..any thoughts?
dj_ricochet 10:33 PM - 5 August, 2004
I run a dell laptop - Inspiron8600: centrino 1.7, 1gig ram, 60gig hdd

had no worries whatsoever running this software, i can put the usb-buffer to its minimum size and it still works fine, but since I can't feel the difference in response time i keep it a bit above the minimum for safety.

btw i don't think centrino is any cheaper than p4, it just uses less power. i've read that future desktop chips will be based on centrino
frankie c 12:48 AM - 6 August, 2004
thanks!!.....another question, is this RAM hungry software?....can I get away with 512 ram? or will it be scetchy?

any thoughts people?

any other dell model numbers that work well?

ps (im looking to spend between 900 and 1500 tops!)
frankie c 12:55 AM - 6 August, 2004
another question (for Rane in particuliar)...

why aren't any detailed computer requirements...(ie min sys requirements and reccomended system requirements for this product?

It seems some users are having great luck with slightly older systems as well....mabye a short article on the website might be helpful!
Serato
Josh 1:19 AM - 6 August, 2004
Scratch LIVE is not particularly hungry for RAM, 512 would be fine IMO, what it really likes is lots of CPU cycles. If at all possible get the most powerful cpu you can, bear in mind that clock speed and power are NOT the same thing.

As for the minimum spec, that's all over the avaiable literature...
MartAttkinson 5:59 PM - 8 August, 2004
Hi frankie,

512mb RAM are fine. DON´T buy a Celeron-Machine, the reduced internal cache is no good idea for audio-applications.
If you buy some pc-laptop have a look at some hardware-reviews/benchmarks. Have a closer look on bus-transfer-rates, usb/firewire-benchmarks if you plan to play from external HDs like I do and chipset-stability.
I think an older but well tested and stable chipset is always the better choice then using the newest stuff where you can´t find any reviews/benchmarks yet.

Mart
frankie c 12:26 PM - 9 August, 2004
Thanks for the info...
does anyone reccomend a particuliar dell or hpo laptop in particuliar?....

would a p4 2.2 be fine ? or do i need to get in the 2.8 area to play it safe?
Alexander 12:31 PM - 9 August, 2004
honestly you won't really see a difference between a 2.2 and a 2.8 in my opinion, but there is not muc of a price difference these days either. So why not just go with the 2.8. :) The more juice the better!
lo-fi 11:15 PM - 11 August, 2004
Every prospective user will probably want to know this for their system, but what kind of latency figure can I expect for my:

G4 PowerBook 1.33Ghz, 768mb RAM, latest OSX.

I'm running MsPinky at the moment and I have no problems running it at a latency setting of 128 samples (about 3ms). guess this figure has to be doubled to account for both input and output latency, but either way I can't feel it.
Serato
Josh 11:19 PM - 11 August, 2004
Well there's no guarantees even with the same hardware these days, but I'm pretty sure there's guys with similar spec as you getting very low latency with Scratch LIVE.
Serato, Forum Moderator
Steve W 12:28 AM - 18 August, 2004
lo-fi, the smallest buffer size you can run on that machine is 2ms = 88 or 89 samples. The total latency of the system (from when you move the record to when the pitch of the output changes) for that buffer size is 8ms. The extra latency comes from fixed delays in transporting the data across the USB bus, DMA'ing in and out of memory etc.
nik39 12:33 AM - 18 August, 2004
Steve, the buffer size which you can adjust in SSL's setup, whats the unit of it? Number of buffers of a fixed size, or simply ms?
Serato, Forum Moderator
Steve W 12:37 AM - 18 August, 2004
It is in USB frames, which are nominally 1 ms each.
nik39 12:50 AM - 18 August, 2004
Thanks for the info. So basically SSL has at least a latency of 6ms, independent from the hardware specs (cpu, what kind of ram, HD etc.)?
Serato, Forum Moderator
Steve W 10:46 PM - 27 August, 2004
7ms is the minimum.
parke02 7:32 PM - 19 September, 2004
Steve, my question on another post

scratchlive.net