DJing Discussion

This area is for discussion about DJing in general. Please remember the community rules when posting and try to be polite and inclusive.

How to know when you need a subwoofer?

DJ NoNseNse 8:59 PM - 10 December, 2010
Buying some speakers and just going to rent a subwoofer whenever I need it. But for how many people would I need to use a sub for?
ZESH! 9:06 PM - 10 December, 2010
Bass is addictive. After you use it once, it would be very difficult NOT to use one at almost every event.

You'll push your monitors less, adding life to them in the long run.

If po$$ible, I would go out and buy one instead.
howcome 9:39 PM - 10 December, 2010
I just bought the B52 matrix 1000 system and it has plenty of bass. Is this for home use or mobile gigs? If you plan on doing small to medium size events the B52 line is a good system at a good price. The place I bought it from even let me split the payments to 3.
DJ NoNseNse 11:07 PM - 10 December, 2010
Quote:
I just bought the B52 matrix 1000 system and it has plenty of bass. Is this for home use or mobile gigs? If you plan on doing small to medium size events the B52 line is a good system at a good price. The place I bought it from even let me split the payments to 3.

I thought about the b52 matrix since theres a used one for $500 at guitar center but that sub is heavy. I drive a honda civic but use my girls altima when I can. Can that they even fit? I know it has wheels but I also need to lift it in my car and I don't always have help. I like the idea of having speakers and a separate sub because I may have some small gigs that may not require all that or have limited space. The b52 is a great price though and is very tempting.
djbigboy 11:57 PM - 10 December, 2010
In this day and age, you can certainly get something smaller than the b52 stuff. It will cost you more of course. I have found that the b52 stuff, while OK sounding at best, also doesn't have a great life span unless treated well.

It's very true though, once you add subs into your mix of gear, you will never want to stop using them. I used to think that if people wanted to pay less, I'd just bring tops, but it sounds much better with subs, and in a lot of cases, the extra bass gets me a lil hype and also makes it easier to mix....

I have a pair of JBL powered subs, they are bit smaller than the matrix's, but also cost more. But I also don't have too many problems moving them around by myself. I am sure someone can chime in on smaller subs that sound great for less than a grand.
DJ Tecniq 12:43 AM - 11 December, 2010
I'd look into to the 15" Mackie Thumps, I have used them before and they sound incredibly responsive I suggest buying the sub to go with it It will slam!
pdidy 3:59 AM - 11 December, 2010
there are just too many variables to pick a number. i personally charge my clients by the size of the sound system they require so i ask if they need loud bass or just listening music levels. that being said most quality tops can only handle about 100 people at loud volumes, any more a sub is needed.
Papa Midnight 4:18 AM - 11 December, 2010
Quote:
Buying some speakers and just going to rent a subwoofer whenever I need it. But for how many people would I need to use a sub for?

What you need to consider for, more so they people, is the size and dimensions of the room you will be playing in. A small-to-medium size room will probably not need a sub, but as has been mentioned before, having one can certainly increase the lifespan of your speakers. If it is a relatively large room, however, get a subwoofer as at about 1/3 the distance from one end of the room to the next, you'll hear (and feel) almost nothing from the low's.

I'd also recommend buying one. Once you've heard (and felt) a good subwoofer that you've run an event with, you won't want to NOT have one.
DJ NoNseNse 10:59 AM - 11 December, 2010
Quote:
I'd look into to the 15" Mackie Thumps, I have used them before and they sound incredibly responsive I suggest buying the sub to go with it It will slam!

Behringers sound better then the thumps in my opinion. With a sub the b212's sound nice
latinblood2k1 5:11 AM - 13 December, 2010
2 tops should be enough for 100 ppl anything more requires a sub. A sub does make your sound system sound BETTER but if its a small room with less than 100 ppl there`s really no need to lug one around especially if u own a yorkville those beasts are HEAVY lol. The good thing about a sub too is that you don`t need to raise your tops volume as much.

My question to everyone here is how much would you charge your clients to bring a sub if they`re interested in having extra bass? Also if if the gig is more than 100 or its its a big room will your price for a extra sub stay the same?
Papa Midnight 6:49 AM - 13 December, 2010
Lugging around those subs and transporting them is extremely labor intensive as is the cost in gas for transporting them. I'd modify the price as necessary and have that explicitly specified in my contract.
pdidy 12:27 AM - 14 December, 2010
Quote:
2 tops should be enough for 100 ppl anything more requires a sub. A sub does make your sound system sound BETTER but if its a small room with less than 100 ppl there`s really no need to lug one around especially if u own a yorkville those beasts are HEAVY lol. The good thing about a sub too is that you don`t need to raise your tops volume as much.

My question to everyone here is how much would you charge your clients to bring a sub if they`re interested in having extra bass? Also if if the gig is more than 100 or its its a big room will your price for a extra sub stay the same?

My base price is $100 per sub and $75 per top top. My dj fee is separate. If my client is using a big venue and is making big money, i increase my fee appropriately.
pdidy 12:53 AM - 14 December, 2010
I use my subs as a selling tool to my clients, more subs = BETTER PARTY.
Djdealeyo 6:30 PM - 29 March, 2016
I have 2 Mackie SRM-450s, i'm trying to figure out what powered subwoofer i need to get. Any help in deciding would be great.
pdidy 8:25 PM - 29 March, 2016
jbl srx818sp
ev etx18p
qsc kw181

These are your current leaders of the pack........ choose one.

Stay away from Mackie subs.
DTweed 8:38 PM - 29 March, 2016
Quote:
I have 2 Mackie SRM-450s, i'm trying to figure out what powered subwoofer i need to get. Any help in deciding would be great.

Quote:
jbl srx818sp
ev etx18p
qsc kw181

These are your current leaders of the pack........ choose one.

Stay away from Mackie subs.

+1 I would go with the SRX 818sp personally you can get it on eBay for about $1200 if you search
DJ Reflex 10:42 PM - 29 March, 2016
Quote:

I use the same speakers... I also have the old QSC HPR181 subs. I typically use one sub per pair of Mackies, and add more as needed (tops and subs). A single QSC kw181 will work well with your 2 Mackies. The B-52 also works (I've used that as well). I've only heard the JBL subs in sets of 4, not alone with two tops, but they pound!
Scully DJ Services 10:56 PM - 29 March, 2016
Yorkville LS801P. It is heavy and hard to move, but it pounds like nobody's business.
Hanginon 12:17 AM - 30 March, 2016
Quote:

I believe in always having a sub(s). Many think you can avoid subs by starting with 15" tops. Unless you're dropping serious coin on ART-745's (with that real low crossover frequency to the mid/tweeter) you are seriously compromising mid range sound quality. Don't make that beginner mistake. Start with some real good 10" or 12" tops (nice and light, easy to transport and put up in the air) and a 15" sub - then add another 15" sub when finances permit (a pair of clustered 15" subs can really rock). It will sound much better, and that's the #1 thing a DJ should be concerned with. I am not talking louder (although it might), I'm talking better.

In addition, any woofer should be next to the wall or more than 8' from the wall. A 15" two-way (even ART-745's), five or six feet in the air, is screwed by the Laws of Physics, and will have a bass suckout no amount of EQ can fix - and it's even worse with a room with a 10' or 12' ceiling (another boundary). Ignore this fact and join the legions selling 15" two-ways on Craigslist.
RonDu 1:23 PM - 30 March, 2016
I swear by my B-52 and I'm on the hunt for that LS801P. What a beast that is
Taipanic 5:24 PM - 31 March, 2016
I use one of my ZXa5s as a floor monitor for one gig. Coupled with the floor, it puts out more bass than the crappy Harbinger sub the venue has. In the air, it's better than most tops but still need subs to balance out the sound properly, especially for dance music.
lalis 11:16 PM - 3 July, 2017
hi, im a small dj but i just got hired to dj at a quinciaƱera which is a bigger party than i usually play in, its about 200 people in a kind of large size warehouse, im gonna get new speakers and i want to add a subwoofer which i really dont know much but i know it helps the sound alot, my question is can i connect the subwoofer to my mixer where i connect my pa powered speakers? or do i need anything extra? like a crossover?
deezlee 3:07 AM - 4 July, 2017
Most powered subs have a crossover in them to cut the highs.
dj_soo 7:00 AM - 4 July, 2017
kind of depends on the brand. Some don't and rely on the tops having a high pass.
deezlee 4:58 PM - 4 July, 2017
Yeah running yer main speakers full frequency and just adding a sub is frowned upon by sound guys and can be a bad idea because of cancellation etc, but in the real world it usually sounds fine.
I run my QSC h series tops full frequency with the sub most gigs even though I could cross the tops over.