DJing Discussion

This area is for discussion about DJing in general. Please remember the community rules when posting and try to be polite and inclusive.

best way to stabalize your technic 1200s in a club. need suggestions

Henry GQ 9:25 AM - 7 December, 2010
ok.. so this new club is almost built now.. and the dj booth is right on the dance floor. its only a foot off the ground(the way i like it. close and personal) but the dancefloor is wood. with woodbeams underneath it(the beams are old. its an old building) so the floor is not 100% solid!. so i know if someone jumps hard enough it will shake the dj booth and skip the needle off the record.

i was thinking of pouring concrete maybe 4-8 inches thick and using that as a table for the turntables..

is there something more dense/thick than concrete?

i know they use to sell some kind of foam padding. but it always made it harder to scratch and keep the needle from jumping all over..

anything i can buy or make the prevent this ?

suggestions?

thnx in advance homies :)
Certified Quality Entertainment 8:26 PM - 7 December, 2010
someone posted a thing a while ago about using rubber bands and those cheap plastic ash trays to go under the feet. I've never tried but a bunch of people say they are fantastic for isolation (usually from bass), but I would assume would work for people jumping as well.

I don't know how it would be scratching but I think it may be OK. Try and search for it and you can at least try it for a very small investment.
BERTO 8:41 PM - 7 December, 2010
www.djtechtools.com
i thought this was cool
concrete would be really heavy for 4 foot squared you would need 3 bags of concrete at 80 pounds per bag.....
mikep 8:53 PM - 7 December, 2010
I have the little isolating feet for my 1200's and they are great for reducing the bass rumble etc. but not much protection for heavy jumping on a wood floor.

I did a house party years ago with wood floors. The needles were jumping until I put the turntales on top of an old heavy upright piano. I don't expect you to have an old heavy piano around to use but just make sure you have a heavy enough table that it won't get bounced or tranfer bounces to the turntables.
BERTO 8:56 PM - 7 December, 2010
mikep is right compare.ebay.com*S%3F&GUID=c29e7afc12c0a0aad2d0edd0ff841a4d&itemid=110442354302&ff4=263602_304662
BERTO 8:56 PM - 7 December, 2010
and you can have a sick piano at the same time
swif 10:01 PM - 7 December, 2010
back in the days clubs would have the tables floating on plywood suspended by big thick rubber bands in each corner, they would look flush with the top of the counter.
BERTO 10:34 PM - 7 December, 2010
Quote:
back in the days clubs would have the tables floating on plywood suspended by big thick rubber bands in each corner, they would look flush with the top of the counter.

that seems like the best way to go some sort of bungee floatation device
sugarmonkey 10:59 PM - 7 December, 2010
hang you coffin from the ceiling with cables.
djbigboy 11:18 PM - 7 December, 2010
A cheap solution I used was to line the coffin/booth with these:

www.amazon.com

Make sure the tt's don't touch the side of the coffin if its a custom built coffin/booth.

You'd be surprised how many times I have replaced these at the various venues I play...one layer does the trick, but I think two is the best
silentpartner 12:11 AM - 8 December, 2010
this works every time like a charm.

get two 3 by 3 concrete slabs ( they weigh about 50 lbs. each). You'll need ten squash balls

place a loop of duct tape in all four corners and one dead in the center of the slab place a squash ball on each spot marked by tape. Repeat on other slab. Flip them over when you decide on your equipment placement in the booth.

I've seen people spend alot of dough on turntable isolation this is far and away the best solution.

I did production at an LTJ Bukem event a few months ago. He plays mostly acetates and the stage was wood and full of subs. This worked like a charm in those extreme conditions.

good luck
blackavenger 7:09 PM - 12 December, 2010
Quote:
ok.. so this new club is almost built now.. and the dj booth is right on the dance floor. its only a foot off the ground(the way i like it. close and personal) but the dancefloor is wood. with woodbeams underneath it(the beams are old. its an old building) so the floor is not 100% solid!. so i know if someone jumps hard enough it will shake the dj booth and skip the needle off the record.

i was thinking of pouring concrete maybe 4-8 inches thick and using that as a table for the turntables..

is there something more dense/thick than concrete?

i know they use to sell some kind of foam padding. but it always made it harder to scratch and keep the needle from jumping all over..

anything i can buy or make the prevent this ?

suggestions?

thnx in advance homies :)

I've been using these for years...I have no issues with the needle skipping. Looking at them you would think that they would, but surprisingly, they do not!

www.planetdj.com
Dj Owe 8:57 PM - 12 December, 2010
cut 2 tennis balls in half and place all for of the halves under the turntables feet.

works wonders for me
e.rich 9:33 PM - 12 December, 2010
Quote:
cut 2 tennis balls in half and place all for of the halves under the turntables feet.

works wonders for me

i was just going to post this. old school and effective.
Henry GQ 5:39 AM - 13 December, 2010
do u guys find that when ur scratching that the turntable is moving around alot ?

on either the tennis ball idea or the floater system ?
blackavenger 8:18 AM - 13 December, 2010
Quote:
do u guys find that when ur scratching that the turntable is moving around alot ?

on either the tennis ball idea or the floater system ?

If the FreeFloat is inflated all the way, yes. However, by deflating it (to your liking) I have managed to reach a sweet spot where it barely moves at all.
Henry GQ 12:30 AM - 7 January, 2011
so i tried the rubber band thing in the ash tray. does not work. makes it worse LOL
Henry GQ 12:32 AM - 7 January, 2011
just trying to figure soemthign out. wondering if the owner would put in time to run poles from the basement to the 1st floor to stabilize them that way.. :/
djbigboy 12:40 AM - 7 January, 2011
haha, we sold those free floats back in the days!!! They aren't for everyone (take up a bit of space) but they work!
BERTO 12:52 AM - 7 January, 2011
go to your local junk yard pick up some springs.....
Henry GQ 1:43 AM - 7 January, 2011
im gonna try the tennis ball idea tomorrow or sat...

and then i dunno. i really dont see the owner putting in car springs into the dj booth...
DJ_Esco 1:02 AM - 20 January, 2017
I use 2 types of foam rubber
One is a grey foam rubber mat (like the one previously mentioned) measuring 1/2in in thickness. The other is 3/4 inch tick un compressed (similar to that used in couches) both are laid on the table top on which a 3/4 MDF sheet is laid on before adding the turntables and mixer on top this works really well at my club Keep in mind I am directly above the subwoofers which are underneath the stage.
DJ_Esco 1:14 AM - 20 January, 2017
It would be laid out like this
It would look something like this:

++++++++ (Turntables)

=========== (M.D.F. Board suspended on top of the 2 layers of foam)

=========== Medium Density Foam Rubber Fatigue Mat material (Dark Grey) Layer 1

=========== Foam Rubber Auralex from Guitar Center (Purple or Grey)or use 3/4 inch with medium density foam for Layer 2

============ Problem surface ( Bass Resonance , vibration etc )
DJ_Esco 1:14 AM - 20 January, 2017
I hope this helps.
dj_soo 1:59 AM - 20 January, 2017
Get the isoine turntable feet
DJ Matty Stiles 3:38 AM - 20 January, 2017
www.juno.co.uk

was gonna get these but realized they took up to much space
blackavenger 11:37 PM - 22 January, 2017
Quote:
Get the isoine turntable feet

This.

Quote:
www.juno.co.uk

was gonna get these but realized they took up to much space

I have them....they suck!
ninjagaijin 6:43 AM - 23 January, 2017
I have the floaters - I need to try only half inflating them, really didn't like how bouncy they were fully inflated.

I use a combination of Isonoe feet and Techniboots footers to begin with but am looking at further stages of isolation.

So far for commercial products I've found: www.thomann.de Luke Absorber

And Auralex (so-Tone www.crossfader.com.au

However it seems if you DIY it enough you could get something better for similar prices using this video as a guide: Watchwww.youtube.com

I've played venues where they have triple stacked squash balls in rolls of electrical tape with stone slabs on top, to the point where having a triple stack was a liability going back and forth (shaky could topple) and the booth had bloody wheels, so the whole thing rocked back and forth regardless. The clubs here.. *shakes head*
Since then they reduced it down to one slab and it is more useable but doesn't really help, the issue here is the subs either side of a 1ft high stage resonating. Concrete floor so dancing not so much an issue.

Now at another club locally, wooden floors and removeable booth, when people jump dancing in one specific spot it shakes the booth/causes skips. To avoid this for a turntablist a couple of months ago he had a jury-rigged setup of regular foam (nothing special) on top of thing stone slabs arranged in 'hash #' shapes under the decks. Having the foam ON TOP of the slabs caused issues where you couldn't level the decks feet with the foam in place and the decks would SLANT at weird angles (inwards towards DJ front of booth and in towards mixer also..) - nothing but headaches all night and the only way to deal with it was turning the Technics 1200 tonearm weight backwards for added record carving to stick the stylus in the groove. Not a good solution.

Since then have been looking at ways to replicate the Mr Scruff setup for future club use. If I had $ to throw around I'd probably buy both Luke and Auralex isolation platforms and stick the auralex under the Luke.

Now, another factor is the booth itself as you rightly stated - concrete would be ace but would probably drop through the floor underneath / cause buckling of the flooring depending on the weight of the booth. I'd recommend looking at pillars of sand (the 'feet' / legs of the booth or extra support pillars under it), filled up under the booth to absorb some resonance. Another thing I've been thinking of for the club locally with wooden floors is one of the following: a) stone slabs ON THE FLOOR of the stage, b) sand bags, c) boxes of text/reference books - as the stage is dismantled each night any one of these would be probably a hard sell for the owner/operator but as a promoter I could bring them myself if had time and initiative. Bit of a heavy hassle/added fuel cost though.

Personally at home I have a Besta on top of an Expedit Ikea setup, with clamps holding the Besta to the Expedit, so I really need to fix that and replace the clamps since they could warp the wood/make non-level for the Besta. Also even though used glue when constructing, pushing sideways on the side of the besta moves the booth a little side to side so am going to do some angled braces in the expedit back slots to try to make it more stable. I was thinking some stone slabs in the bottom shelves of the expedit might also help absorb some resonance (not that resonance is the issue, it's more the side to side motion - I got the Besta so that I would have around 180cm to work with on top of the booth, for 3 deck setup and large mixer).