Software help archive

A read-only archive of old serato.com help threads.

Serato doesn't update his database although I delete all files with ALT DELETE

Product
Scratch Live
Version
Hardware
Rane SL1
Computer
PC
OS
Platform
-
pueblofunky 12:21 AM - 1 December, 2010
Product: scratchlive
Version: 2.0
Hardware: scratchlive-sl1
Computer: pc
OS Version: win764
---

Hi,

I've installed SSL 2.0 & 2.2 PB 3 on my new PC with Windows 7 64-Bit.

After starting SSL all files from my last session on my old PC where there. I've deleted all files (in "all") with ALT+DEL and exit SSL, started SSL again ... and all tracks are there.

The files & database are from the external hard disc and the owner of ALL files on the external hard disc is my admin user on my new PC.

I also will not get asked if I want to make a backup when I exit SSL. Only "exit yes/no".

How can I fix this and what's wrong?

I know I can delete the Serato directories and try a re-create and all the steps but why does the update by SSL not work when I exit?

Protect library is off of course. ;-)

Thanks!
Rane, Support
Zach S 5:41 PM - 1 December, 2010
Hey pueblofunky,

It sounds like Windows User Account Controls has got in the way.

I would suggest turning it off.

1. Shut down any open programs.
2. Click on the Start menu in the lower left corner of your desktop.
3. Click on the Search field.
4. Type in "UAC".
5. Click on the one thing that pops up.
6. Move the slider down to never and press 'apply'.

Now restart your computer to make the changes take affect.

Once done, open your external, open the _ScratchLIVE_ folder, and delete any databaseV2 files you see. Including databaseV2(safe) files.

Now re-open SSL and try to delete your files.

Let us know how you get along;)
pueblofunky 8:30 PM - 1 December, 2010
Turning off UAC is not that what I want. ;-)

I've only changed the ownership and thought that's enough. My user (not only my admin user) needs "full control" ...

See www.addictivetips.com
pueblofunky 8:32 PM - 1 December, 2010
But shouldn't appear a windows UAC window which asks me when SSL writes back to the database file?
Rane, Support
Zach S 5:26 PM - 2 December, 2010
The reason why your getting these (safe) files is because your UAC is turned on.
UAC was designed to protect you from yourself.
As long as you don't blindly start deleting stuff turning this off will be more of a blessing than a bad choice.

Do you really want your computer squacking at you every time you try to do anything?

Having it on is more of a nuisance and I'm confident turning it off will fix your issue.
pueblofunky 7:23 PM - 2 December, 2010
I only need to set the correct rights and all works without problems and UAC questions. ;-)

However - when you don't inform the user via the default UAC question and silently do not write back the database file is the worst solution for me. When I get the UAC question I know that the file permissions are wrong.

This e.g. happens when you swap the computer or didn't set the correct file permission for a external hard disc. I only did this once - for the root drive letter incl. inherit for all subdirs + files - and all works perfect. ;-)
Rane, Support
Zach S 7:29 PM - 2 December, 2010
I'm sorry but I don't understand.

I'm telling you how to fix your current issue.

I'm not sure what else to suggest to fix it.

If you want UAC on then I would suggest turning it off, following my directions above, and then turning it back on.