DJing Discussion

This area is for discussion about DJing in general. Please remember the community rules when posting and try to be polite and inclusive.

Colored Vinyl is CraP !!!

DJ GaFFle 2:08 PM - 14 April, 2007
Does anyone have issues with excessive buildup of dust on their needles when it comes to using colored-vinyl as compared to regular (Black) vinyl?

I find that both of my gig-only colored vinyls distort badly on side-B towards the inside of the record after only 30 minutes or so at a gig. I end up having to thoroughly clean the needles and de-dust the wax to get things right.

When I switched to Black CV's, I don't have that issue and can go a long time without cleaning either at the gig...
DJ Special K 2:29 PM - 14 April, 2007
hmm interesting, I only use the A side. I have Green and Blue, no issues here.
rlaci 3:55 PM - 14 April, 2007
I have the same with normal(not control) vinyl green colored vinyl from Mr Sam

I don't know why
DJDLO 415 8:03 PM - 14 April, 2007
wierd i have blue and it distorts sometimes......
djslimsa 8:10 PM - 14 April, 2007
I have seen som excessive build up on my Blue CV's. I don't really have any problems with my Black CV's. Interesting.
dj cubicle 8:12 PM - 14 April, 2007
Maybe we can get Myth Busters on this one....
bandoma 8:21 PM - 14 April, 2007
happened to me as well. i use the b-side too cause my a-side is warped.

i tend to dust off the needle every other song...so that helps.
yuri 8:27 PM - 14 April, 2007
heh... this is why i never bought colored CVs.. real colored vinyls never had good pressings from what i remember.. always something wrong with them
Freedom 11:15 PM - 14 April, 2007
It dont matter color, But i have 12 control records colored and not... and almost everyother one fits the platter too loosely that was the main problem i have...

As for residue, i have found the when using every control record for the first time with an ortophon cartridge i get gunk build up after 50 spins of the disc... and it only helps to give your records a serious cleaning before and during shows...

I use a micro fiber cloth during shows to rid the record of all impurities quickly....they work well.
wakka 11:22 PM - 14 April, 2007
Quote:
Maybe we can get Myth Busters on this one....

Haha, I wish. On most of these threads like this one, I think that exact same thing.
J_Static 3:57 AM - 15 April, 2007
I just picked up a pair of the gold ones and even though I have only been using the black CV's, I have always been one to wipe down a record before it hits the platter. The needles I will clean off at least twice during my set.

It's just good DJ'ing ethics
eder 12:05 PM - 15 April, 2007
Quote:
Does anyone have issues with excessive buildup of dust on their needles when it comes to using colored-vinyl as compared to regular (Black) vinyl?

I find that both of my gig-only colored vinyls distort badly on side-B towards the inside of the record after only 30 minutes or so at a gig. I end up having to thoroughly clean the needles and de-dust the wax to get things right.

When I switched to Black CV's, I don't have that issue and can go a long time without cleaning either at the gig...

The colored vinyl are a lot more sensitive to dust and grime than blacks, IMO. Couple that with the super-sensitive 1.7, and I'm wiping them down with rubbing alcohol like every five minutes lol
djqt 4:54 AM - 16 April, 2007
after reading this thread im totally done with colored CVs.
just copped a pair of the OG black CV at GC sunday.
they seem a tad bit thinner than those that came with my SL1 tho.
DJ GaFFle 3:50 PM - 16 April, 2007
To be fair, I have discovered that one of my "barely used" M44-7 cartridges was bad. The circle towards the beginning of the record would scope find but towards the inner part, I'd notice jagged indentions. I've replaced the cartridge and all is good.

I still believe colored vinyl gunks and gets dustier faster than the Black ones.
djknyce 3:55 PM - 16 April, 2007
i thought it was just me but i have the same problem with my red cv. i too have to dust off like every other song.
AMF 4:24 PM - 16 April, 2007
I hope this is true, then hopefully someone will sell me their white CV vinyl...
DJ GaFFle 6:07 PM - 16 April, 2007
Quote:
I hope this is true, then hopefully someone will sell me their white CV vinyl...

If you get white-CV's, you won't be able to see the dust...(hmmmmm).?.?.?.?
DJ Michael Basic 6:22 PM - 16 April, 2007
Is this thread racist?
DJ GaFFle 6:27 PM - 16 April, 2007
I don't think so...
DJ Michael Basic 6:31 PM - 16 April, 2007
Ok, cause I just heard that black vinyl has it pretty bad, but white vinyl gets treated the best.
shiestO! 6:49 PM - 16 April, 2007
no vinyl segregation!
Niro 10:11 PM - 16 April, 2007
Colored or not, just clean your control records before a gig and also your needles you and you should be set. There's so, much more to dust collecting than just the color.

S
eder 11:40 PM - 16 April, 2007
Quote:
Colored or not, just clean your control records before a gig and also your needles you and you should be set. There's so, much more to dust collecting than just the color.

S

I clean any record (black or colored) right before i spin...colors just are more sensitive IMO
DJ GaFFle 9:41 AM - 17 April, 2007
I tried a microfiber cloth and noticed it clean a LOT better than the regular diaper-type cloths I used in the past. I'm gonna get a small spray bottle and fill it with alcohol to help keep things cleaner too.
That Guy 1 2:32 AM - 25 April, 2007
I'm going to start using baby wipes instead of regular toilet paper, and change my Depends more often.
dj cubicle 3:28 AM - 25 April, 2007
space diapers clark, space diapers.
cappinkirk 1:31 PM - 20 June, 2007
i have OLD oLD oooooLD black vinyl and it reproduces sound (epecially fast scratches) far better than much newer colored vinyl.

i keep em clean too but I noticed that with the colored vinyl it wasn't counding good and just to test i switched it up back to the black - major sound quality difference.
cappinkirk 1:31 PM - 20 June, 2007
sounding
(counding)
shiestO! 3:32 PM - 20 June, 2007
u guys sure about this i never noticed. (got the blue ones)
Headlights 4:24 PM - 20 June, 2007
I have noticed the colour vinyl isn't the same as the black. This applies to all records, black presses usually are better quality.

I'm still picking up some red and gold CV anyways though!
Damn I need some new black as well cause my daughter was trying to spin some records and scratched the hell outta them, DAMN.
cappinkirk 5:09 PM - 20 June, 2007
yeah i was surprised at the difference. i keep a pair of black virgins (sealed) on me at all times now for backup.
cappinkirk 5:11 PM - 20 June, 2007
the scratching was sounding muddy on the colored ones and i was getting a little upset about the quality, that's why i tried the black ones again.

this of course, begs the classic quote....
shiestO! 5:13 PM - 20 June, 2007
once you go black, you never go back.
shiestO! 5:34 PM - 20 June, 2007
did i get it kirk? haha
cappinkirk 5:43 PM - 20 June, 2007
exaaaaactly:)
cappinkirk 5:43 PM - 20 June, 2007
once you go red you are better off dead
shiestO! 5:54 PM - 20 June, 2007
once you go blue you will be a foo. no.
once you go green you'll see what i mean? i dunno.

fuggit.
sixxx 6:01 PM - 20 June, 2007
Once you go brown... You better learn how to use the toilet paper better. You dumbass! :P
cappinkirk 6:27 PM - 20 June, 2007
haha

once you go colored your tracks sound duller

lol
J_Static 3:30 PM - 21 June, 2007
Got the gold ones but dammit, I want a pair of solid whites just to have a pair!

F*ckin someone is holding out on the 411 on how to get a pair!