Software help archive

A read-only archive of old serato.com help threads.

1.3 crash. need help.

Product
Scratch Live
Version
-
Hardware
Ortofon | Serato S-120
Computer
-
OS
Platform
-
eder 7:50 AM - 9 April, 2005
tonight (4/8) i had a 3-hour set for a party a club at my school was throwing. i was using the newest preview version and everything was going fine until around 2 hours into it. for some reason, when i loaded a track to my left deck, it played rrrreeeaaaallllyyy ssssslllooooowwwwww, almost at half speed(guestimate). i threw on some emergency vinyl and rebooted the entire computer and then it went back to normal. I'm running a P4 2.66 w/ 768mb ram. This problem has happened before, and not only on the left side. Is it possibly something to do with too much memory/cache being used up and none of it being replenished or does it have something to do w/ overheating (i run a desktop to a flatscreen monitor, not enough cash for a laptop yet). Quick feedback would be great, because i have a gig tomorrow night (4/9) and a HUGE gig for like 3,000 people a week from tomorrow...err...today (4/16. thanks!
SpinThis! 8:50 AM - 9 April, 2005
do you remember which tracks caused it to play slowly? do the rest of your tracks play that like that after the bad one?

if it's only on one deck, usually it's a tracking/dust problem. take a look at what the tracking light says on the display and what the pitch % reads. i've had a similar issue happen before because my needles/vinyl were dusty or the wires in the headshell came loose. cleanliness is important. at the very least i'd say after every 10 tracks you play (or an hour of playing), clean your needle with the brush and dust off your records.
nobspangle 10:15 AM - 9 April, 2005
is it possible that you knocked the 33/45 switch on the ssl deck, that would cause a slow down like you said.
BassChamber 10:55 AM - 9 April, 2005
dust or fluff in the needle, and interferences, can make SSL to not receive the signal properly and play slowdown.

check out the noise threshold, and take care with the needles!

if you play open air, you will have to clean it almost every time before you load a new track.
eder 7:52 PM - 9 April, 2005
it's not the track...after i reset the computer, the track played fine. when i first started the session, the records were just cleaned and my m44-7s were just cleaned....i tried switching the 33/45 switch in ssl, that made it go a little bit faster than realtime in 45, but back to slugish in 33. when the side was playing all slow, it said the tracking was way off, but the circles were fine and the noise thresh was quite high (low 30s). after i reset the entire computer, everything was fine. ssl responded just as fresh as it did when i first started the gig (i was doing cuts and chops in relative mode w/ no lag). it only seems to happen rarely and after SSL has been running for a long time. i've tweaked my xp media to make it more efficient, but it's still doing this glitch.
DJTJ 5:14 PM - 10 April, 2005
buy a mac. nuff said:)
nobspangle 6:18 PM - 10 April, 2005
Quote:
i tried switching the 33/45 switch in ssl, that made it go a little bit faster than realtime in 45, but back to slugish in 33.

That's weird, if you switch to 45 in SSL the track should play slower, not faster.

You need to see if you can narrow the problem down,
is it caused by a scheduled process on your PC (antivirus, power saving feature etc.)
When it happens what are you system resources like (free RAM, cpu level)
Is the problem always on the same deck?
Are all your tracks on your system drive or are some/all on a removable drive? Does it always occur with tracks on one drive or is it any?
eder 10:58 PM - 10 April, 2005
i shut everything off whenever i have a gig....mac won't work cause i have too many programs that are windows-based (adobe premiere)...i have 3 drives, one for system, one for video, and one for mp3s....the problem happened again last night, same deck, different song.....i reset and the song played fine...sorta side note but it might be related- how often should i clean the records/buy new ones and how often should i replace my needles? thanks for all your help
Revolutionary 4:35 AM - 11 April, 2005
That totally depends on how much you play, what kind of needles you have and if you scratch.
eder 5:07 AM - 11 April, 2005
um...play maybe 5 hours a week....shure m44-7s....and yeah, i scratch
Revolutionary 1:29 PM - 11 April, 2005
Kaseem said he had to replace his record or switch to the other side after half a year, I don't remember exactly what he said, and he probably plays a lot. Don't know about needles though. As I said, it depends...