Software help archive

A read-only archive of old serato.com help threads.

serato virtual vinyls turn black!

Product
Scratch Live
Version
-
Hardware
Ortofon | Serato S-120
Computer
-
OS
Platform
-
dj illest 7:43 AM - 12 April, 2007
Hi I am having problems with ssl again. After a couple of hours my virtual vinyls turn all black but i could still load up a new tracks on both sides, thing is that the title of the track i loaded up did not appear but I could still mix. please advise
Rane, Support
Zach S 3:44 PM - 12 April, 2007
If this only starts happening after a couple hours it sounds like your computer may be overheating.
I would suggest getting a cooling pad or fan and see if that helps.
dj illest 4:07 PM - 13 April, 2007
oh i already got a cooling fan...Any other idea? Thanks
Rane, Support
Shaun W 4:09 PM - 13 April, 2007
I've never heard of this happening. Can you take a screen shot so we can have a look?

What version of Scratch LIVE are you using and what are the specs of your computer?
dj illest 6:23 AM - 14 April, 2007
ok I will try to take a pic as soon as it happens again, so far it has happened twice only.
laptop specs
toshiba
P4, 752 ram, 1.8 GHZ

last night was worse though, while i was playing a message appeared asking me to close serato cause it had an "error", it happened twice during my set, serato just just off by itself... this error message appeared after around 20-25 mn. Any ideas?
dj illest 6:23 AM - 14 April, 2007
Sorry by the way i use 1.7.1
Konix 6:25 AM - 14 April, 2007
Is your whole screen turning black? I remember a few people posting about this in the past, and all had Toshiba laptops. I'll try and find the threads.
dj illest 6:51 AM - 14 April, 2007
No No only the virtual vinyls turn black. Just the circles turn black. What about that error message asking me to close serato?
Rane, Support
Zach S 5:09 PM - 16 April, 2007
Quote:
last night was worse though, while i was playing a message appeared asking me to close serato cause it had an "error", it happened twice during my set, serato just just off by itself... this error message appeared after around 20-25 mn. Any ideas?

Sounds like a corrupt file or overheating issue.
Have you built overviews for all of your files in your library?
If not I would do so and get rid of any tracks with the corrupt file icon (cd with a crack down the middle of it) next to them.
cappinkirk 1:03 PM - 20 June, 2007
it only turns black where the time and tempo info is(the inner circle of the virtual deck...image here:

www.cappinkirk.com

its not all files either, only selected ones. after restarting, shutting down they still remain. I never noticed it until yesterday when I divorced from itunes and went all internal again if thats any help.

Mac OSX 10.4.9

files aren't showing up as corrupt and I doubt it is overheating (but I don't know) I had a huge fan on my setup and this was right after startup from a full day of being off.
cappinkirk 1:04 PM - 20 June, 2007
i noticed it on about 10 songs last night out of 100.
Rane, Support
Shaun W 3:36 PM - 20 June, 2007
Crazy stuff. I've never heard of or seen the virtual decks turn black like that, wow.

I would definitely upload a few of those files for the Serato devs to run some tests.

Please upload the files here ->>www.scratchlive.net
cappinkirk 4:59 PM - 20 June, 2007
someon else posted this elsewhere but didn't make a big deal out of it...he says just this 1 track did it though

i13.photobucket.com

its green!
nik39 9:01 PM - 20 June, 2007
Are you sure the user did not change the label color to green?
cappinkirk 2:01 AM - 21 June, 2007
no
cappinkirk 2:14 AM - 21 June, 2007
Deejay Z
report | quoteJune 6, 2007, 8:03 AM
Hey this happend today???? Only happend on this track.....

i13.photobucket.com

What do u think??
cappinkirk 2:15 AM - 21 June, 2007
i'm a graphic designer and i think that i would most likely be able to tell. i don't think it is fake.
cappinkirk 2:27 AM - 21 June, 2007
booyah i uploaded 6 or 7 files that caused the issue hope this helps
Serato
James 2:29 AM - 21 June, 2007
what happens when you select a different label color? (You can choose the label color by clicking on the little circle on the left next to each track on the track list)
cappinkirk 2:29 AM - 21 June, 2007
hopefully its not my system but it may be a conflict with an app i have or something i understand

i have a lot of graphics apps on there but i only run serato when i dj (nothing else) everything is highly optimized, no bluetooth, no wireless (no ethernet internet), energy is on accelerated, i don't even show the time or percentage in the battery icon.
nik39 8:40 AM - 21 June, 2007
Quote:
i'm a graphic designer and i think that i would most likely be able to tell. i don't think it is fake.

Who said it's fake?

Please don't tell you don'T know about the function to change the label colors for tracks inside ScratchLIVE.
AKIEM 8:53 AM - 21 June, 2007
hope this bug ends up a feature
scratchlive.net
cappinkirk 1:10 PM - 21 June, 2007
The outer ring is red and the inner ring is green in that image. if that is something that is already possible in scratch live please tell me how to do it nik39 as I do not currently know how to do that.
Konix 1:17 PM - 21 June, 2007
Click on the little dots in the tracklist area to the left of the songs' name to change the label color.
boabmatic 1:20 PM - 21 June, 2007
yes..but if you choose the green label the outer ring will be a lighter green not red as in that picture from cappinkirk?
Konix 1:29 PM - 21 June, 2007
Indeed.
Rane, Support
Shaun W 4:03 PM - 21 June, 2007
Quote:
yes..but if you choose the green label the outer ring will be a lighter green not red as in that picture from cappinkirk?

That's why I think it's so weird. Plus, the label color should be all one color not a combo of two.
Rane, Support
Shaun W 4:03 PM - 21 June, 2007
After the Serato devs have a look at the files they should be able to figure out what's going on :)
cappinkirk 8:06 PM - 21 June, 2007
i will try selecting a different label color as well, maybe this will fix it. that sounds like a good idea to me.
Serato
James 2:34 AM - 22 June, 2007
Hey cappinkirk, do you use a third party ID3 tag editor program at all? From looking at your files, the label color stored in the file is well... black.

Changing the label color of those songs does fix your problem. However, I am still intrigued as to how they became black in the first place.
cappinkirk 1:10 PM - 22 June, 2007
first thanks for the suggestion, recoloring the files worked well. i do not use a third party mp3 editor and i was using itunes but am not anymore. I have no idea what caused them to be black.