DJing Discussion

This area is for discussion about DJing in general. Please remember the community rules when posting and try to be polite and inclusive.

Building A DJ Booth... Advice Please...

DjWoody 12:01 AM - 12 April, 2007
The owner of one of my residencies gave me permission to clean up and fix up the DJ booth. What's on a dream DJ booth?

The current DJ booth has the Mixer (19") slanted on a built in rack. And there's no room to really have 2 CDjs, 2 1200's, and a laptop. I don't want the mixer on a rack because we switch mixers all the time depending on the DJs playing.

He's also buying us a new mixer. Woohooo.... We're getting a new Pioneer DJM800!!! So excited! I love that mixer! I would've loved the Xone 92, but the other DJ's wanted the Pioneer because of the effects! Go figured! I'm probably going to rearrange it like this. djwoody.com . That's my setup at home. But, I will slant the shelf a little bit more so we can see the screen on the CDJ's. Something like this... photo.rukes.com That's the setup at Tentations in Newport.

I'm also going to leave room for an EFX. Hehehe so stoked!

Any suggestions?
allenbina 12:11 AM - 12 April, 2007
thats about all i can think of. congrats! keep us updated
djtonypsalms 12:15 AM - 12 April, 2007
Strategically placed LED LittLites would be fresh!!!

www.littlite.com
djtonypsalms 12:16 AM - 12 April, 2007
BTW... Congratulations on the gig!
deepdjdanny 1:14 AM - 12 April, 2007
make sure you bill him.
allenbina 1:19 AM - 12 April, 2007
Quote:
Strategically placed LED LittLites would be fresh!!!

www.littlite.com

oh, that was a good idea. and a power strip with more than 1 available space, or just a whole power strip for other stuff (external drives, etc).
Dj Ryme 2:05 AM - 12 April, 2007
Get a 57 instead of whatever it is he's getting...... everyone will love the place since they wont have to bring in their own serato box.

My dream booth:

2 1200's
TTM 57
A good place to put my laptop, one of those swiveling laptop stands would be dope so that each dj can put it wherever they prefer
Good monitor
A door so people cant just walk in
A mini fridge to keep my drinks cold
A fan for when my ass gets hot and sweaty

thats all I could think of for now lol.
deepdjdanny 2:06 AM - 12 April, 2007
couch/sofa
DjWoody 2:10 AM - 12 April, 2007
Sorry, no room for a couch/sofa. I did tell them to get a 57, but they said NO! They didn't wanted to cause it's different styles of music every day, and there's tons of different DJs using the sound. Some DJ's require more than two channels, and that was their main issue. Also, the Pioneer has Midi built in, which is good for videos cause that place has a video system set in place.
Releaux 3:18 AM - 12 April, 2007
Quote:
Get a 57 instead of whatever it is he's getting...... everyone will love the place since they wont have to bring in their own serato box.

Does the 57 have multiple USB ports? If not, how do you deal with DJs who have different computers? The RCA-shuffle with two SL-1s I understand, but I don't get how you would change out laptops.

Is it just a matter of dropping to regular vinyl/cd for a track or two? Also, does the 57 do the same pop that the SL-1 does when you take out the USB cable?

I've been flirting with the idea of moving from my X1500 to a 57 or DJM-800, but I think I'd miss the matrix features and the variable x-fade curve.

Regarding the original question and subsequent posts - absolutely get some spot lighting and several easily accessible electric in there.

One other thing that I might recommend would be a patch-bay for commonly needed mixer ports (effects loop, extra channels, etc.). I always hated having to crawl under the counter to plug stuff in and hope that I was yanking the right thing. =-)
DJ K-otik 3:39 AM - 12 April, 2007
Definitely adequate lighting.

Something like this - but better - would be great because it would cover all the bases:

www.rane.com

I think the best all-around setup, not incorporating video, would go something like this:

Pioneer DJM-800
Pioneer EFX-1000
2 Pioneer CDJ-1000 MK3's
2 Technics 1200 M5G's
2 SL1 interfaces, like in the link above

Set that stuff up like in the link I put up above, and you're in business. One thing nobody's mentioned, though, is the arrangment of the decks. Personally, I would go for "battle" or "hip hop" style, where the turntables are sideways. It seems easier for DJs who rock 1200's traditional to adapt to battle style than for DJs who rock battle style to adapt to traditional.

I don't know what kind of venue you're talking about, Woody, but would you have to consider headlining DJs with contract riders? For instance, apparently AM requests a Rane 56 for his performances.
Releaux 3:51 AM - 12 April, 2007
I'm too chicken to turn my 1200s battle-style. I keep worrying I'm going to knock the arm off the record while adjusting pitch.
vidoona 4:07 AM - 12 April, 2007
Quote:

Pioneer DJM-800
Pioneer EFX-1000
2 Pioneer CDJ-1000 MK3's
2 Technics 1200 M5G's
2 SL1 interfaces, like in the link above

Good list. I do sound and light contracting for clubs on the side, and I think it's always best to go with standard hardware when doing club sound design. If you have a budget, you can always drop to a DJM-600 with the EFX-1000. If you don't want to buy SL1's (and as mentioned above, for FX), get a patch bay that allows you to easily insert an SL1 into the audio signal chain and still pass the signal when an SL1 isn't plugged in. For mounting, since how you mentioned you might have to swap out mixers, or because DJs might prefer regular or battle style, I'd leave the decks and mixer loose on the table surface for easy re-configuration. For the EFX-1000 and CDJs though, there's a lot of companies that make bolt-down aerial slant mounts. There's even one that holds the efx-1000 and a laptop next to it. This will also help with the tight booth you're working with. Make sure to tie-wrap permanent cables together and use permanent-adhesive steel security cables on every piece of equipment. This will keep cables and equipment from dissapearing from the booth when no-one's looking. A power conditioner with front access is always a good idea for laptops and extra gear. Two par-38 cans with blue or red LED medium-screw base bulbs mounted on the ceiling should provide good lighting that isn't too hot and will last 20 years before they burn out. For monitors, a pair of Mackie SRM-450's suspended from the ceiling at 45 degree angles is always top on my list because of the built-in limiting circuitry so dumb-asses can't blow them. Get a cable upgrade kit for the technics too that has beefier cables so they don't get busted.

Hope this helps. This has been the choice setup used at a lot of my contracting jobs. It's standard, reliable, and clean. I absolutely hate when a DJ booth has a sub-par, unkept setup where half the shit doesn't even work because it wasn't installed well in the first place, so quality will always pay off in the long run.
Rebelguy 7:06 AM - 12 April, 2007
I agree with all of the above with the exception of the Mackie Monitors. I have personally had my own and seen many of them go Thermal and shut down. The last thing you need is the monitors cutting out in the middle of a packed night at the club. I would suggest the QSC HPR-122i or for a bit more money the RCF ART-322As. Both great speakers that blow away the sound quality of the Mackie's and don't go thermal.
DJDLO 415 7:56 AM - 12 April, 2007
a 57 or 56 im not picky-i hate 19 inchers

2 1210 G5's

a sturdy place for the laptop only an inch away

a good monitor like my boy chris the rebel said ^^^^^^

and thats it....but make sure the tables are battle style....this is 2007 i hate when booths dont let you switch the tables around.....
vidoona 8:32 AM - 12 April, 2007
Quote:
I agree with all of the above with the exception of the Mackie Monitors. I have personally had my own and seen many of them go Thermal and shut down. The last thing you need is the monitors cutting out in the middle of a packed night at the club. I would suggest the QSC HPR-122i or for a bit more money the RCF ART-322As. Both great speakers that blow away the sound quality of the Mackie's and don't go thermal.

Interesting. I've always liked my pair of SRM-450's. Never worked with QSC speakers, but I've heard good things.

Interesting you mention the RCF speakers. Mackie owns RCF and RCF drivers go into all mackie speakers. The ART-322As have exactly the same LF driver as the SRM-450, but with a more powerful amp which is probably why they don't go thermal for you.
Nicky Blunt 8:48 AM - 12 April, 2007
Quote:

Make sure the tables are battle style....this is 2007 i hate when booths dont let you switch the tables around.....

You know most of us hip hop dj's prefer battle style but to make them adjustable would be the ideal option!

that way you keep the house & garage dj's happy too.
DjWoody 9:00 AM - 12 April, 2007
Sorry guys, I didn't mean equipment wise. I meant the layout of the booth. The equipment is all new and we're currently using it. But it was all just thrown in there. We are using two Technics SL1200Mk5's, two Pioneer CDJ1000Mk3, and some nice Monitors.

The layout is going to let the DJ be able to switch the turntables anyway they want, but the main focus is the CDJ's. Most DJ's at that club use CDJ's. Only the guest DJ's use the turntables.
Nicky Blunt 9:03 AM - 12 April, 2007
in that case try putting the cdjs on the adjustable mounts!

That way they can have them wherever they feel comfortable!
ralph 10:05 AM - 12 April, 2007
just a flat surface for all equipment. Allows you to move everything around if need be.
Monk-A 10:42 AM - 12 April, 2007
Thats a nice home set up Woody. I think if i walked into a booth and there was that set up i'd be very impressed.

Couple of things i'd is make sure they don't sink any of the equipment into the booth top. Just a flat surface with the main systems patch cables mounted in the middle of the booth, that way they are solid and you wont get bad connections. Also make sure they have a box of connections of dropping in other mixers, so you can swap from either XLR or Phono out's as not all mixers come iwth XLR.

Having a slightly tilted shelf for the Pioneers and Laptops. is excellent, but also make sure they leave enough room for the guys who use TT's to get to all of the TT's controls.

What i would say is havea permanent shelf that can hold a laptop and SSL box above the mixer, but I would say if you can mount the Pioneers on Swingable arm's - like a TV arm - then you can just fly them in for the guys who use it and out for people who use only TT's.

Also Glass on the fron of the booth so people cannot reach over out of curiosity or heaven forbid spill drinks.

And a lot of sensible lighting, and fans. Make sure you can cool the equipment, nothign worse then a really hot DJ booth. And if you light it properly it'll be even hotter, so at least two fans (either side of the booth?) to cool the equipment and yourself.

The last thing is to try and get them to fit a good number of power sockets so youare not running everything from a power bar, and thus eliminating power hum's from earthign problems. A socket per piece of equipment if possible, and then 4 spare for guys who may bring anything etxra.

Hope that makes sense, congrats on getting the chance to build a decent boothmate.
Rebelguy 2:35 PM - 12 April, 2007
Quote:
Interesting you mention the RCF speakers. Mackie owns RCF and RCF drivers go into all mackie speakers. The ART-322As have exactly the same LF driver as the SRM-450, but with a more powerful amp which is probably why they don't go thermal for you.

Actually Mackie no longer owns RCF. That partnership was a total fiasco that almost ruined RCF. When Loud (owner of Mackie) started having financial problems RCF was sold off. A company called AEB puchased RCF from them. This was a few years ago. The original Italian made SRM-450s were loaded with RCF drivers. The newer Made in China ones are loaded with generic woofers and drivers. I actually have heard that the high frequency driver is now actually the same one that is used in Gemini loudspekes.

On a side note, the RCF designers of the Mackie Fussion line actually left RCF/Mackie because of the drama and started KV2. If you want to hear some incredible, albeit expensive, speakers you have to check these out. The EX-10 and EX-12 models are being used as monitors at Ruby Sky and 1015 Folsom in San Francisco.
Dj Ryme 3:04 PM - 12 April, 2007
IM SICK!!!! of clubs putting fuckin house style mixers in the booth..... sorry guys but DLO is right, its 2007 and there are more hip-hop style dj's out there than house (here in cali anyways) I hate showing up to a club and having to spin on a 50 channel mixer with buttons I dont need and a shit fader with screws right next to it to get caught on your finger nails if you even think of trying to cut it up. Of course I always come through and rip it up anyway but I always feel like we get no love when this happens. Although the basement in LB finally got a 56 installed! The only other place I have been thats had a decent mixer was aka sin in HB when they were still open and thats it. All the other clubs either have a multi channel mixer or you have to bring your own shit (which is better than having to deal with one of those mixers anyway)

Sorry guys just venting.... again, nothing against you edm guys, I just dont like your mixers ;)

As far as layout woody, PLEASE make it so that if a hip-hop dj were to spin there he could turn the TT's battle style, just as much as you guys dont like spinning battle we dont like spinning disco. Also make sure the TT's are at a good height.... I hate showing up to places and the turntables are up to my chest (and im 5'11)

And that mini fridge would be PIMPIN!
Of course it's not necessary but how many dj booths have a fridge???
All the dj's would kiss your ass for adding that in there.
D-Twizzle 3:20 PM - 12 April, 2007
Quote:
And that mini fridge would be PIMPIN!
Of course it's not necessary but how many dj booths have a fridge???
All the dj's would kiss your ass for adding that in there.

There's a little red bull mini fridge in the booth at one of the places I've spun at. Conveniently filled with red bull and water bottles.
MusicMeister 3:36 PM - 12 April, 2007
What would I put in a dream DJ booth?

Xone:3d - midi capable, supports core audio/ASIO USB audio for every TCV solution (except Serato). Sorry, but Rane needs to support ASIO as an I/O solution (with the SL1/TTM57SL as a 'dongle') or put out a good 4 channel mixer like the Mackie d.4 Pro.

While I was at it, I'd put in a a shelf that dropped down to take the 'standard' mixer out of the way so you can drop in a different mixer and connect it into the patch bay.Get creative with a couple actuators and a drop in shelf to hold the 'new' mixer would be friggin' incredible!

2 x SL1200 MK5's (on rotating tables that lock so you can switch from 'normal' to battle style with a latch - unlock, twist, and lock)

2 x SL-DZ1200's or TASCAM CD-DJ1's (I just LIKE this CD player!) (Ok, if I 'had' to... I'd put in CDJ-1000 MK3's becuase I know not everyone actually likes the SLDZ or CD-DJ1) - BTW, I'd put them on 'stands' if I had to so they would fit in the booth

A shelf for my laptop on an arm so I can move it. Something like the old monitor arms would be awesome - but if not at least a decent shelf w/ enough room for a 17" laptop and external HD. Oh yea - put CLEAN power there too!

Furman power conditioner w/ amp/voltage readings - keep that power clean!

A patch bay - I'd route everything through the patch bay so I don't have to dig behind the TT's and CDJ's. Same for adding in effects, etc.
www.sweetwater.com

Adjustable LED lighting (like the gooseneck lighting you find on higher end consoles)

For monitors I'd consider a true near field monitor - something like the KRK Rockit 6(SE)/8, M-Audio EX66, etc.

SOMEPLACE TO HANG MY DAMN HEADPHONES! I mean COME ON! Spend the $7 and put in a damn hanger!
www.sweetwater.com

An EbTech Hum Eliminator (just remembered I need to order one of these and get it in my rack before May 6th! Doh!)
www.sweetwater.com

An EbTech HumX for the laptop location
www.sweetwater.com

A seperate AC circuit for everything in the DJ booth and another circuit for the amps/processing. That way if the amps blow a circuit the DJ booth stays up. And make the breakers easily accessible!

And for the patrons:
An eject button or a 'pit of despair' for every dumb ass that comes in the booth with an assinine (yes, I spelt it that way one purpose) request. I'd put the button and they'd be ejected from the booth, or maybe that flipping chair thing from Austin Powers, or just a pit they fall into with man eating crocs, etc. Well, I'm sure you get the idea...

And for the Sound Guy/Owners:
A High voltage shock device to shock the living hell out of the DJ everytime they increased the levels to where stuff started clipping. I'd use a small warning light to let them know they're approaching clipping and then an annoying noise in the headphones as they kept going (with a 'bypass' option if they want to keep going which turns off the noise) and then high voltage that would increase in voltage and duration every time they clipped or stayed where the volume was clipping. A couple good healthy shocks and I bet they stop blowing up equipment! (sorry, but it really pisses me off when some DJ's think that red on the meter means 'red hot dance floor'). Sorry, it even pisses me off as a club patron when they start clipping and don't realize it because even though most modern music's shit I don't think that ignorance (or arrogance) is an excuse for treating equipment like shit as well. Besides, it just sounds bad. ;-)

Ahhh... one can dream...
s42000 3:53 PM - 12 April, 2007
A nice non-hard floor for DJ foot comfort, (and not the restaurant kitchen crap).
Rebelguy 4:02 PM - 12 April, 2007
Quote:
or put out a good 4 channel mixer like the Mackie d.4 Pro.

Is the d.4 out yet? I am curious to try it out although I am hoping it improves on the d.2s small problems.
MusicMeister 4:04 PM - 12 April, 2007
Due out sometime this summer.... Price is $799 w/ firewire based on my info.
DJ_Mike_Coquilla 4:41 PM - 12 April, 2007
this is kinda cute

hustlerofculture.typepad.com

this set up has that picnic table theme goin on

thinklab.typepad.com
DJ_Mike_Coquilla 4:42 PM - 12 April, 2007
just playin woody :)

congrats on your success !
Dj KaGeN 6:54 PM - 12 April, 2007
Dj's need more channels?? [cough] BULLSHIT [/cough] Even a 57 can have 3 lines in simultaneously [L1/T1 + L2/TT2 + Aux in] I have yet to see a 'club dj' needing more than that, playing on all 4+ lines of a house mixer - RARE!!!! VERY RARE - so fuggin rare. Even though I love a big ole house mixer, I have found a new love for the 56 & 57 and they are just as nice to spin on even doing house. And for places plopping in house mixers in hip hop driven OC - that's just stupidity at it's best.
Dj Ryme 6:57 PM - 12 April, 2007
Thank you Kagen!
Dj KaGeN 7:01 PM - 12 April, 2007
no problem man...

Can we start a bet as to how long it will take the 800 to start having the issue of MISSING knobs and faders? That's another big pet peeve of mine when I see a 500/600 and I have to swap parts around on it to get a working set on the channel that not FUCT!!
vidoona 7:02 PM - 12 April, 2007
Quote:
Actually Mackie no longer owns RCF. That partnership was a total fiasco that almost ruined RCF. When Loud (owner of Mackie) started having financial problems RCF was sold off. A company called AEB puchased RCF from them. This was a few years ago. The original Italian made SRM-450s were loaded with RCF drivers. The newer Made in China ones are loaded with generic woofers and drivers. I actually have heard that the high frequency driver is now actually the same one that is used in Gemini loudspekes.

Interesting....never knew the deal went south. I just remember looking through a dealer parts catalog and noticing that my SRM-450's had the same replacement LF woofer as the RCF speaker. Mine are old, which is probably why I don't have problems with them.
Rebelguy 7:26 PM - 12 April, 2007
Actually I bought my pair in 2002 when they were Italian made. Had overheating issues the first two times I used them. Once at a small party of 150 people and the other time as monitors on New Year's Eve. After that they got returned. I continued to run into them at various clubs and it was always the same thing...thermal shutdown sometime throughout the night.
Releaux 7:55 PM - 12 April, 2007
I typically use my #3 and #4 channels on my X1500, but generally as duplicates of whatever's playing on 1/2 for effects, bouncing/doubling, etc. You can get some interesting things going on crossfading between an effected channel and a clean channel.

Like any effect, though, it's best used sparingly. Nothing irks me more than a DJ who's just learned how to use a double to do echoes and shows that he's learned it on every friggin' song.

Extra channels are like effects units and integrated video to me - very nice to have, but not essential.
scotty B 8:14 PM - 12 April, 2007
Quote:

My dream booth:

2 1200's
TTM 57
A good place to put my laptop, one of those swiveling laptop stands would be dope so that each dj can put it wherever they prefer
Good monitor
A door so people cant just walk in
A mini fridge to keep my drinks cold
A fan for when my ass gets hot and sweaty

thats all I could think of for now lol.

Don't forget spot for the EFX-1000, and a sampler.
DJ K-otik 8:29 PM - 12 April, 2007
KaGeN, I agree with you. Shit, with my style of DJ'ing, I wish every venue I played or will play in used a 56 or 57, but that would probably never happen. Besides, (1) with an SL1 plugged into the lines of a 56, there's nowhere to hook up CDJ's; and (2) there's no way to cue the source you have on the aux in channel. I've never rocked 4 sources live, but I often do 3 and definitely need to cue the third turntable.

I've never even used a DJM 800, but it appears to be a good choice and compromise between hip hop-oriented and house-oriented DJ's. It's not a huge 19" rack mixer, it's got curve control, it's got good faders, and I'm sure the effects work similar to the DJM 909's. But Woody's venue is getting an 800 anyway, so there's no use arguing about it. He just wants opinions on the actual setup / orientation of the gear.

Woody, if that's the case, those pictures you put up are basically how pretty much any DJ would design a club booth. The picture I put up from the Rane site shows a good way to elevate the CDJs while keeping the decks' area uncluttered. The Pioneer stands would work too, right? The only problem is where to put the laptop. A setup like Tentation's may be the way to go. By the way, DJ Rectangle is playing Tentations tomorrow and AM's playing at Tentations on the 27th. Anybody going to either?
stevie o 11:55 PM - 12 April, 2007
mini bar mini fridge a bathroom and a couch for the chicks to make out on