DJing Discussion

This area is for discussion about DJing in general. Please remember the community rules when posting and try to be polite and inclusive.

Dream Mixer: Rane Empath SL

Soulsonica™ 8:33 PM - 11 April, 2007
Anyone happen to know if Rane will be coming out with Serato version of the Empath? IMO this would be an ideal mixer for Vinyl/CD/Serato DJs who aren't necessarily scratch DJs but rather other styles that would take advantage of the Empath'c third channel, long P&G faders, etc., that make the Empath one of the best mixers around. I'm thinking basically an Empath (designed exactly as it currently is) with built-in Serato interface and USB/FireWire port. Low/Mid/High kill switches might be the only other feature and a nice touch (as long as it's kept professional and not labeled with skulls). Anyone else feelin' me on this?
dj_soo 8:37 PM - 11 April, 2007
I'd be happy if they just made an Empath with the magnetic faders instead of the P&G ones
Soulsonica™ 8:46 PM - 11 April, 2007
Quote:
I'd be happy if they just made an Empath with the magnetic faders instead of the P&G ones

Why so Soo? The P&Gs are among the finest available (especially sound quaility wise). I understand the benefits of magnetic in terms of longevity, but how else do they compare?
dj_soo 12:35 AM - 12 April, 2007
pretty much just for the longevity honestly.

I'm just sick of the division between battle mixers and scratch mixers and would like to see more hybrid style mixers or club mixers that are still suitable to cut and scratch on.

And honestly, a big reason of why I want a Rane is the much-vaunted magnetic fader, but at the same time, I'd love to be able to mix on 3 decks using just one mixer...
AdamJay 6:08 AM - 9 July, 2007
Here's my idea, visually, of what the Empath SL should look like...

naturally, some things found on the original Empath had to be removed to keep it all within a 10" mixer format.

what came into the existing Empath format was the 57's control layer, and 57 style input switching, as well as 57 style flex fx buttons (rather than dry wet sliders)

what went out were the pan knobs (changed to sliders... i always hated that pan knob on the Empath, i'd grab it often thinking it was gain, so for the purpose of an Empath SL, i'd prefer it on a slider), the dry/wet flex sliders went out, the cue EQ, the EQ on/off switches, The flex send/return sliders, Cd triggers, aux cue, auto gain (because most of this stuff is available in the 57 internally), and the P&G logo is gone, as i would prefer a magnetic fader on the x-fader at least but preferably all faders.

Orientation of the P1/P2 encoders are a little diff than the 57, and the cue buttons are closer to the faders to accomodate the SL control layer.

The way the channel input switches are designed is with USB bandwidth from SL in mind, meaning you can't have more than 2 digital stereo streams and you can't have 1 stream sent to any more than 2 channels. I "think" this is how it would have to be implemented, but i am not sure.

I don't think the kill switches are necessary, if it were a 12" mixer, then yea but otherwise i think those clutter it up too much --- plus -- the eq knobs can kill if you need that.
The curve adjustments as found on the 57 would be nice, i love those SO much... perhaps they could be put on the front of the mixer by the headphone/footswitch jacks.

So yea, thats my dream mixer... basically the love child of an empath and a 57sl.

of course, 4 channels in a 12" mixer size with added s/pdif ins for CDJs would be 100% ideal, i reckon that would look more like a wide TTM57 than an empath. Would probably come in at $2300 USD retail too... but i dare say it would fast become the new standard of DJ mixers.
DjRekTek 8:16 AM - 9 July, 2007
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^Yes...
Yes...Yes.....nowgive me a tissue so I can clean myself off!

NICETY!
allenbina 8:32 AM - 9 July, 2007
wheres the automix button?
DJJOHNNYM 1:20 PM - 9 July, 2007
I'm feeling the split cue.....
yuri 4:36 PM - 9 July, 2007
I wouldnt spend over $1k on a mixer without individual channel meters.
AdamJay 6:15 PM - 9 July, 2007
Quote:
I wouldnt spend over $1k on a mixer without individual channel meters.

ah yes, i knew i forgot something... a meter for the 3rd channel.
please refresh the graphic: 66.221.205.118
DJJOHNNYM 6:22 PM - 9 July, 2007
I would buy this mixer....seriously. This of course has XLR outs in addition to the 1/4 and RCA's...right? Also, kick in adjustable LAG, and we've got a deal.
shiestO! 6:24 PM - 9 July, 2007
dude i've been dreaming about this for so long but seeing that picture made it worse!!! i want that shit so bad.
AdamJay 6:27 PM - 9 July, 2007
Quote:
I would buy this mixer....seriously. This of course has XLR outs in addition to the 1/4 and RCA's...right? Also, kick in adjustable LAG, and we've got a deal.

yep - just add usb port: www.rane.com
dj_soo 6:30 PM - 9 July, 2007
i like it but I'd rather see the pan faders cut and have the send/return faders stay - i love those things...
AdamJay 6:32 PM - 9 July, 2007
Quote:
i like it but I'd rather see the pan faders cut and have the send/return faders stay - i love those things...

so long as its a digital mixer like the TTM57SL, ideally this would be software configurable... having the option between pan and send/return.
dj_soo 6:41 PM - 9 July, 2007
even better - i never use pans ever. The thing i like the most about the empath is the individual faders for fx send/return on each of the channels.

Dedicated transforms would be nice too (i.e. not line-switchers)
AdamJay 6:46 PM - 9 July, 2007
Quote:
even better - i never use pans ever. The thing i like the most about the empath is the individual faders for fx send/return on each of the channels.

Dedicated transforms would be nice too (i.e. not line-switchers)

thats the way J1 and J2 work... as found on the TTM57SL
you push them in and they change from controllers to transforms.
De LA 7:07 PM - 9 July, 2007
I think its cool...but do you think since the mixer has SL1 incorporated into it, there would be an issue with having 3 channels as opposed to 2? Since SSL only runs 2 channels. Like say you want to run your techs on #1 and #3, how does the mixer/software change channels?

Just a Thought.
dj_soo 7:22 PM - 9 July, 2007
^ he included a line assignment knob on the mixer. Chances are SSL will default to 1 and 3, but you can set the lines to whichever input you desire.
AdamJay 7:59 PM - 9 July, 2007
Quote:
I think its cool...but do you think since the mixer has SL1 incorporated into it, there would be an issue with having 3 channels as opposed to 2? Since SSL only runs 2 channels. Like say you want to run your techs on #1 and #3, how does the mixer/software change channels?

Just a Thought.

all i can say is familiarize yourself with the TTM57SL..
De LA 8:00 PM - 9 July, 2007
Oh I see it now. So that would work with two of the channels being on B and one on A? Im only asking because im curious if there would be problems having 3 assigned channels when the software is only compatible with 2.
cappinkirk 8:02 PM - 9 July, 2007
thats dope the software will have 3 decks also?
De LA 8:02 PM - 9 July, 2007
Quote:
Quote:

Just a Thought.

all i can say is familiarize yourself with the TTM57SL..

I've played with the 57 and think its a great mixer.
shiestO! 8:09 PM - 9 July, 2007
Quote:
thats dope the software will have 3 decks also?

i don't think so... it leaves the middle channel open for a multitude of other possible shit.
dj_soo 8:11 PM - 9 July, 2007
Quote:
Oh I see it now. So that would work with two of the channels being on B and one on A? Im only asking because im curious if there would be problems having 3 assigned channels when the software is only compatible with 2.

well again, this is all theoretical, but ideally the 3rd channel would just be reserved for a 3rd deck - be it another turntable or CDJ - people would actually (gasp) consider pulling out vinyl again :o.
cappinkirk 8:17 PM - 9 July, 2007
i like the 3 deck option better since you could do both digital and analog with that but good idea either way
AdamJay 8:18 PM - 9 July, 2007
De LA, i see what you are getting at now.

say for instance you set it up this way...

Ch1 - D1
Ch2 - D2
Ch3 - D2

Once you chose Digital 2 as your 3rd digital stream on Ch.3, it would disable Ch.2's digital input. As only 2 streams from the computer are possible.

this could be seen by making the input #'s light up for the Digital inputs, as well as the control inputs on the 57.
De LA 8:35 PM - 9 July, 2007
right. And then you might need a channel selector like the pio 600 has. I think the idea of 1 & 3 being for ssl and 2 being for an extra deck only is the way it would need to be.
AdamJay 8:39 PM - 9 July, 2007
but a soft overide would allow you to use any combination

1&2 1&3 2&3

i would prefer it that way because my 3rd deck/cdj varies in position. I prefer to set up my channels in the order in which they are physically positioned from left to right.
i.e. CDJ/TT-Serato1/TT-Serato2 would be Ch1.-A1. Ch2.-D1. Ch3.-D2.
shiestO! 8:46 PM - 9 July, 2007
Quote:
but a soft overide would allow you to use any combination

1&2 1&3 2&3

i would prefer it that way because my 3rd deck/cdj varies in position. I prefer to set up my channels in the order in which they are physically positioned from left to right.
i.e. CDJ/TT-Serato1/TT-Serato2 would be Ch1.-A1. Ch2.-D1. Ch3.-D2.

yeah having the default 1&3 would not be enough it'd be limiting the jammy jam.
dj-jv 5:44 PM - 27 November, 2007
that's a great idea....can wait to see this coming..haha
grrillatactics 2:15 AM - 15 April, 2008
I have been thinking about a 3 channel mixer for use with SSL alot lately. I am considering even going so far as to pick up a used Empath and seeing if it would be possible to Akiem-style Frankenstein in an SL1 to make it myself...

:-/ Hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm...
DJDiablo 2:09 PM - 2 May, 2008
Took AdamJay's and "rotarized" it.

i2.photobucket.com
DJMark 2:42 PM - 2 May, 2008
Quote:

i2.photobucket.com

Very nice. I hope Rane is paying attention.
DJDiablo 3:11 PM - 2 May, 2008
Quote:
Quote:

i2.photobucket.com

Very nice. I hope Rane is paying attention.

Me too. I'd buy a rotary SSL Empath in a heartbeat!!!
shiestO! 3:13 PM - 2 May, 2008
Quote:
I have been thinking about a 3 channel mixer for use with SSL alot lately. I am considering even going so far as to pick up a used Empath and seeing if it would be possible to Akiem-style Frankenstein in an SL1 to make it myself...

:-/ Hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm...

keep us posted if you do that. i have an empath but i'm not tryin to take it apart really... just interested.
Bigfourty4 6:17 PM - 2 May, 2008
im just surprices they never came out with a rotary kit for the 56.

I've been looking into the djm800...its looks tight with the rotary.
RussOne 7:05 AM - 4 June, 2008
Quote:

i2.photobucket.com

Check mate!!!

A buddy of mine just sent me this one yesterday.
RussOne 7:06 AM - 4 June, 2008
Quote:

i2.photobucket.com

Check mate!!!

A buddy of mine just sent me this one yesterday.
www.soulsonica.com
RussOne 7:09 AM - 4 June, 2008
DJDiablo 12:24 PM - 4 June, 2008
Oooooo. Me likes!!! I like the full A/B controls!!!
HittinSkinzTa2 12:42 PM - 4 June, 2008

Perfect!
Bigfourty4 1:20 PM - 4 June, 2008
hopefully rane sees this
fl0w 2:38 PM - 4 June, 2008
This is not a Rane forum, and Serato apparently have new partners now :(

I'll keep my SL1 and my Empath for the moment ;)
Dj BuddyLove 8:46 PM - 4 June, 2008
mike on pssl's recent webcast said they are not going to have anything like this anytime soon. bummer!! :(
DJMark 2:02 AM - 5 June, 2008
Quote:
This is not a Rane forum, and Serato apparently have new partners now :(

I don't think the Itch thing has any impact on Serato's relationship with Rane. It's an entirely different product line.
s3kn0tr0n1c 11:48 AM - 5 June, 2008
defo- a 3 channel serato mixer would ROCK....with the new magnatic faders, still setup so scratch djs would use it but with that xtra channel and 3 channel scratch live software.....

DEFO +99999999999999999999999999999999999999
BriChi 1:47 PM - 5 June, 2008
Rotary ttm57sl is my dream mixer, I just pulled out my empath rotary so I can use the 57sl fo video and I really miss the rotary knobs
Dj BuddyLove 6:04 PM - 5 June, 2008
my thoughts if rane/serato would have put out a sl empath instead of this itch crap they would be killing in sales..everybody wants one.

my sugestion fire the person incharge of marketing..

lol
DJ GaFFle 6:53 PM - 5 June, 2008
I just want to knobs off the rotary Empath. I saw where someone switched their TTM57 knobs with it (looked sick).
SiRocket 7:30 PM - 5 June, 2008
im with gaffle! LOL
Dj BuddyLove 7:57 PM - 5 June, 2008
Quote:
I just want to knobs off the rotary Empath. I saw where someone switched their TTM57 knobs with it (looked sick).

you can order them from rane!! not that hard
Dj BuddyLove 8:32 PM - 5 June, 2008
For parts orders, email: kellyw@rane.com or call 425-355-6000.
Maskrider 9:30 PM - 5 June, 2008
I really don't have any intentions of buying a 57sl but if this Empathsl goes out count me in.
Dj BuddyLove 9:43 PM - 5 June, 2008
Quote:
I really don't have any intentions of buying a 57sl but if this Empathsl goes out count me in.

same here!!
DJMark 11:27 PM - 5 June, 2008
Quote:
my thoughts if rane/serato would have put out a sl empath instead of this itch crap they would be killing in sales..everybody wants one.

The time that I said "this is not the product announcement I was hoping for" (or words to that effect in one of the early Itch threads) an SL-Empath and/or an update to the MP-44 including SL and/or the "pro" SL interface I feature-requested 2-1/2 years ago was exactly what I had in mind.