DJing Discussion

This area is for discussion about DJing in general. Please remember the community rules when posting and try to be polite and inclusive.

BIG NEWS: Panasonic Kills Off Technics Turntables

TigerDave 8:50 PM - 28 October, 2010
Fans of analog music were dealt another blow when consumer electronics company Panasonic announced earlier this month that it would be discontinuing the audio products within its Technics brand, most notably the legendary line of analog turntables.

www.tokyoreporter.com
Dj-M.Bezzle 8:51 PM - 28 October, 2010
old news
DJ Prinvale` 10:27 PM - 28 October, 2010
tokyoreporter sounds like a reliable source
DJ Prinvale` 10:28 PM - 28 October, 2010
I believe everything I see on the internet also
Dj-M.Bezzle 10:31 PM - 28 October, 2010
how about this

www.skratchworx.com
Rane, Support
Chad S. 10:31 PM - 28 October, 2010
Been hearing this for years and years. I think I actually believe it this time.
Dj-M.Bezzle 10:33 PM - 28 October, 2010
apparently guitar center tried to buy the brand but panasonic declined them so they may have something up their sleeve in the future for like an anaversery edition or something but overall say-la-ve
DJ Prinvale` 10:35 PM - 28 October, 2010
all these "official" reports yet no actual officialness to anything.
Dj-M.Bezzle 10:38 PM - 28 October, 2010
its ok denial is a logial step in the greiving process
Dj-M.Bezzle 10:40 PM - 28 October, 2010
i have a feeling the technics situation is going to be the same as obama and his birth cirtificate
DJ Prinvale` 10:43 PM - 28 October, 2010
Quote:
its ok denial is a logial step in the greiving process

If you take into consideration the history of these reports, I am being most logical.

No actual sales #'s to prove or back anything up
No official Panasonic reports
No nothing except for the same websites that have helped spread the same rumors time and time again.
Dj-M.Bezzle 10:47 PM - 28 October, 2010
when did toykoreporter, mixfoundation, and skratchworks ever report on ths before?
Dj-M.Bezzle 10:51 PM - 28 October, 2010
how about gizmoto www.gizmodo.com.au
TigerDave 10:54 PM - 28 October, 2010
I read Gizmodo daily and they just posted the story TODAY (which linked to the Tokyo Reporter link I posted), which is why it's new to me.

gizmodo.com
ernie 10:56 PM - 28 October, 2010
they should shudown his website or make an announcement
www.panasonic.com
DJ Prinvale` 10:57 PM - 28 October, 2010
Quote:
when did toykoreporter, mixfoundation, and skratchworks ever report on ths before?

www.skratchworx.com
www.skratchworx.com
www.skratchworx.com
djdragon 2:52 AM - 29 October, 2010
Said it once, i'll say it again.

Until I see it on official letterhead that they are discontinued. I won't believe it.

The phonograph is 123 years old and has survived every pics of musical technology that has come around so far.
djdragon 2:52 AM - 29 October, 2010
Said it once, i'll say it again.

Until I see it on official letterhead that they are discontinued. I won't believe it.

The phonograph is 123 years old and has survived every pics of musical technology that has come around so far.
DJ ENUF 1:42 PM - 29 October, 2010
You deffiniately said it again!
Rebelguy 3:02 PM - 29 October, 2010
Is anyone in this thread actually planning on buying a new set of Technics? Probably not.
Rebelguy 3:04 PM - 29 October, 2010
Oh an it's not a diss. I am just stating that I can easily believe they are done as $2K for a set of turntables is ridiculous.
CMOS 3:05 PM - 29 October, 2010
Think they people at stanton, numark, and vestax are all jizzing in their pants over this?
Dj-M.Bezzle 3:24 PM - 29 October, 2010
Quote:
Think they people at stanton, numark, and vestax are all jizzing in their pants over this?

lol no acutually i bet their pretty pissed that their putting products in stores and people are going to be running around looking for a product that dosent exist anymore instead of buying their new stuff lol
djbanno 3:34 PM - 29 October, 2010
Quote:
Is anyone in this thread actually planning on buying a new set of Technics? Probably not.

set...no.
third maybe?
djbanno 3:40 PM - 29 October, 2010
...got mine..
just sayin...
Dj-M.Bezzle 3:41 PM - 29 October, 2010
Quote:
Quote:

set...no.
third maybe?

new or used??
DJ Pullout 3:58 PM - 29 October, 2010
Quote:
Quote:

set...no.
third maybe?

I got 4 total.... but I actually want to replace my 3D's with the M5Gs...... so I need to eventually. Kind of dreading doing it because of the cost these days.
DJ Pullout 4:38 PM - 29 October, 2010
wait....

it says right in the Toyko Reporter that its only discontinuing certain models. M5Gs will still be made so who cares!

Thread Closed!
ta2423 5:14 PM - 29 October, 2010
Quote:

My MG5's are new Just before the price gouge. I figure they will be around for 10 years. My second set up is a few years old and if I find anymore great deals on craigslist I will buy them up. I figure even if they quit making them they can still be found past our lives.
Dj BuddyLove 8:02 AM - 30 October, 2010
Quote:

I want the gold M5G's

so yes!
Dj Shamann 9:15 AM - 30 October, 2010
Quote:

Regarding the Technics brand itself, nothing has been decided other than the discontinuation of the mentioned products, the statement said.

Also I'm taking the whole article with a grain of salt considering they say

Quote:
the company said in statement issued to The Tokyo Reporter.

Sounds pretty tabloidish to me

"Disclosed a close pal"

"An insider told us"

"A statement issued only to us and nobody else said."
DJ Dub Cowboy 10:17 PM - 30 October, 2010
Quote:
Quote:

I want the gold M5G's

so yes!
\

+1

I want some MK6s too and a pair of M5Gs. new
Discobee 1:42 AM - 31 October, 2010
When I see / hear it on TMZ that the Technics are discontinued, then I'll believe it. TMZ was the first to report Michael Jackson's death, so you know they're legit.
DJ Prinvale` 8:54 PM - 31 October, 2010
Quote:

customerservice@us.panasonic.com to me
show details 9:33 AM (4 hours ago)
Matt,
Thank you for contacting customer service; we are happy to assist.

Please visit www.panasonic.com all models of turntables are listed on the website. We have not discontinued all of the models we do still have some in stock. Please call Panasonic Direct Sales for support if you have any other questions.

Thank you again,

Panasonic Direct Sales Support
Call Toll Free: 800-405-0652
Monday - Friday, 8:00 am to 9:00 pm, EST
Saturday-Sunday, 12:00 pm to 5:00 pm, EST
_____
Fwd: But I have questions about it [T201010280089S010Z288487]

--> screenshot --> www.djprinvale.com

can you all stop raises the g'damn prices of turntables now!
Dj BuddyLove 11:20 PM - 31 October, 2010
Quote:

We have not discontinued all of the models we do still have some in stock.

but ince those are gone.

bye bye
DJ Prinvale` 11:49 PM - 31 October, 2010
What part of we have not discontinued all models do you not comprehend?

So far we have an "inside source" without proof
Scratxhworks which has been saying discontinued for over 5 years
And someones mom

I guess people will belive what they wish
Dj BuddyLove 1:42 AM - 1 November, 2010
Quote:
Quote:

We have not discontinued all of the models we do still have some in stock.

but once those are gone.

bye bye

fixed
Smemtex (AoS) 1:44 PM - 1 November, 2010
Dj-M.Bezzle 2:18 PM - 1 November, 2010
yup the gizmodo article was updated and corrected with the folowing

Quote:

UPDATE: Panasonic is in fact ceasing production of the SL-1200MK6 model specifically, while other Technics turntable models will live on. Phew! Sincere apologies for the misunderstanding
DJ Pullout 2:39 PM - 1 November, 2010
saw that. everyone can calm down.
ta2423 3:53 PM - 1 November, 2010
Damn and I wanted to box up my mg5's and sell them for 3 grand next year.
DJ Pullout 4:27 PM - 1 November, 2010
BLASPHEMY!
lvmez 4:37 PM - 1 November, 2010
good news. maybe retailers can bring prices back down to normal.
ta2423 4:56 PM - 1 November, 2010
Quote:
good news. maybe retailers can bring prices back down to normal.

Shit. Its called Greed. It would take 2 years for them to start rolling back prices now. Once a few people bought them at 1099.00 They are going to try to sponge up as much money as they can.
boabmatic 5:07 PM - 1 November, 2010
From... www.dmcdjchamps.com

"DMC have finally received the official statement from Technics Panasonic in Osaka, Japan which we now pass on to the DJ world.

It feels like a funeral... but we won't be burying this baby for many years to come!"

Tony Prince
DMC Founder.

Panasonic reactive statement - Production of analogue turntables has ceased

Panasonic has confirmed that it ceased the production of its Technics-branded analogue turntables this autumn.

After more than 35 years as a leading manufacturer of analogue turntables, Panasonic has regretfully taken the decision to leave this market. However, Panasonic will continue to sell headphones under the Technics brand.

We are sure that retailers and consumers will understand that our product range has to reflect the accelerating transformation of the entire audio market from analogue to digital.

In addition, the number of component suppliers serving the analogue market has dwindled in recent years and we brought forward the decision to leave the market rather than risk being unable to fulfil future orders because of a lack of parts.

Panasonic employees who have been working on the analogue turntable range have been redeployed elsewhere within Panasonic - many of them continuing to work in Panasonic´s Audio Video Business Unit
DJ Prinvale` 5:23 PM - 1 November, 2010
oh they said confirmed in ALL CAPS!

it must be true!!
Fumio Ohtsubo President, Panasonic Corporation 6:32 PM - 1 November, 2010
Seeee I towl you beefore we no more make toontable, you no listen all american do is tawk tawk tawk, you all tawk no leesteen. Gwo up and muuve on beekaus tooontable goone. No fall fo mitwanswation, let toontable pass wit hona ow u do hawwy kara, eitha way THEY GAWN!!!!!! We sell u DVD\VCR combo at good deal, we sell U BUY!!!!!!!!!!1
SUBSTANCE 10:35 PM - 1 November, 2010
Quote:
say-la-ve

lol. I think you mean 'C'est la vie'...
Don't feel bad, I see people typing 'wala' instead of 'voila' all the time too.
Smemtex (AoS) 6:18 AM - 2 November, 2010
One of my mates who works for Panasonic (and is also a DJ) just called and told me that the above letter ( www.facebook.com ) is real...

Sad sad day...

I know it's no straight from a Panasonic website, but it's good enough for me.
DJ Pullout 12:29 PM - 2 November, 2010
right. They are stopping production on analogue turntables..... but are still making the M5G. So who cares.....

move on.
DJ DFunk 6:10 AM - 5 November, 2010
I have 2 1210's I wanna trade for CDJ 1000's!
DJJOHNNYM_vSL3 1:40 PM - 5 November, 2010
Quote:
right. They are stopping production on analogue turntables..... but are still making the M5G. So who cares.....

move on.

Is the M5G an analogue Turntable?
DJ Pullout 1:54 PM - 5 November, 2010
DJ Pullout 1:56 PM - 5 November, 2010
"On October 20th, 2010 Panasonic announced that the newest SL-1200MK6 model was to be discontinued due to marketplace conditions[1]. Other models like the MK2 and MK5 are still listed as being available on the Panasonic website[2]."

en.wikipedia.org
DJJOHNNYM_vSL3 2:33 PM - 5 November, 2010
Quote:
lmgtfy.com

AND??????

Still no answer...

FAIL.
DJ Pullout 2:48 PM - 5 November, 2010
Ummmm in the search results it says analogue table with digital pitch there numbnuts.
Dj-M.Bezzle 2:52 PM - 5 November, 2010
Quote:
Ummmm in the search results it says analogue table with digital pitch there numbnuts.

umm i dont see where it says that......i also would be cautious regarding any info from a site that referred to me as numbnuts
DJ Pullout 2:55 PM - 5 November, 2010
do not click if you are offended by the word numbnuts.....

www.panasonic.com
DJ Pullout 2:55 PM - 5 November, 2010
Technics* Analog Turntable SL-1210M5G Intro
Introduction to Technics Analog Turntable SL-1210M5G.
www.panasonic.com - Cached - Similar
DJ Pullout 2:57 PM - 5 November, 2010
Another search result....

Technics SL-1210 M5G Review
As the “flagship” turntable from Technics, the SL-1210 M5G “Grand Master” ... first for Technics analog decks), and the upgraded tonearm/tonearm suspension. ...
www.djbooth.net - Cached - Similar
DJJOHNNYM_vSL3 6:09 PM - 5 November, 2010
Now THAT'S how you submit a post...

I ain't googlin' shit...

Good work Pullout.
DJ STEVE RAY 5:12 PM - 17 November, 2010
SL-1210 M5G till i DIE!
ta2423 5:40 PM - 17 November, 2010
All that matters is I have mine... Do you have yours?
DJJOHNNYM_vSL3 8:37 PM - 17 November, 2010
Quote:

I'ze gots minez, getz yourz!
Logisticalstyles 10:19 PM - 17 November, 2010
Quote:

Exactly!
Instrumentals101 8:23 PM - 18 November, 2010
really!
DJ STEVE RAY 8:29 PM - 18 November, 2010
I got mine off Craigs and i got the Pair for 800 with two Ortofon needles, case included with the extra cartridge. These decks are expensive as heck retail, but their is always that one DJ ready to settle down and see his Technics, except ill be passing mine down to my kids and let them know to never sell these beauties, SL-1210 M5G is a work of impressive engineering!