Software help archive

A read-only archive of old serato.com help threads.

OH NO --- JUST DELETE 2439 tracks again !!!!!!!!!!

Product
Scratch Live
Version
Hardware
Rane SL1
Computer
PC
OS
Platform
-
pueblofunky 5:37 PM - 23 October, 2010
Product: scratchlive
Version: 2.0
Hardware: scratchlive-sl1
Computer: pc
OS Version: xp
---

In the meantime I hate SERATO.

Just pressed erroneously SHIFT + CTRL + DEL ... and 2.439 tracks have been deleted from my harddisc although all files are READONLY.

THANKS AGAIN for NO SECURITY QUESTION ("Are you sure ...").

If this will not be done within the next release - I'll swap back to CD's.

JonLangford 6:10 PM - 23 October, 2010
If you're music is that important to you, back it up... I have a RAID 1 set that stores my music library, my MacBook Pro that holds my current play library and an external USB drive that I back it all up to once week (and use the GFFS rotation to keep media for a year)

If it's what you earn a living from BACK IT UP... you wouldn't expect any Company to not be able to backup/restore their critical data (can you tell i work in IT??!!)

On my Mac if i press CRTL + SHIFT + DEL the tunes are deleted but they just go in to the Trash, its not permanent
pueblofunky 6:45 PM - 23 October, 2010
I have a backup of course.

But it costs a lot of time + I've to dj in 2 hours.

Also no chance to press cancel or anything else. Deleting into trash is disabled.

I've never seen a software without a security question. If I want delete files physically then I'll do it in Explorer and before that or with another security question if I want to delete READ-ONLY files.

:-(
djdannyd 8:59 PM - 23 October, 2010
tough luck bro. backing up your music is the way to go for now. i agree with the pop up asking to verify before deleting physical tracks.
_Stuart 12:45 PM - 24 October, 2010
didnt you have the protect library ticked in the setup area ?
The SMF 3:03 PM - 24 October, 2010
why were you pressing that 3 button combo in the 1st place more to the point, along with all tracks highlighted?
pueblofunky 4:56 PM - 24 October, 2010
@the SMF: I only want to delete them from the library.
@_Stuart: When protect library is on I can not manage crates.

I've managed tracks & crates, selected all tracks in a create and want to delete them from the library ... and instead of ALT+DEL I've pressed SHIFT+CTRL+DEL .. that's it. Fast & effective ;-)
_Stuart 4:59 PM - 24 October, 2010
go into your recycle bin and click restore
_Stuart 5:02 PM - 24 October, 2010
you will have to re add it to serato after you restore it from the recycle bin
JonLangford 5:45 PM - 24 October, 2010
thats where i like ScratchTools... I can just run a script to add (or re-add) songs to my Library, all my crates represent the backend file structure so ScratchTools just looks for new additions in each folder.
Culprit 8:34 PM - 24 October, 2010
Quote:
thats where i like ScratchTools... I can just run a script to add (or re-add) songs to my Library, all my crates represent the backend file structure so ScratchTools just looks for new additions in each folder.

+1 scratch tools is the best.
pueblofunky 10:44 AM - 25 October, 2010
Quote:
all my crates represent the backend file structure

I don't know how ScratchTools can avoid that I press SHIFT+CTRL+DEL again in SSL and all files (including READ-ONLY files) will be deleted from my hard disc. ;-)

However - I can't use a crate like my physical file structure. My physical file structure is based on the release (or better "mix done in") year (a part which never or rarely changes).

I'm using SmartCrates - normally only asking "GROUPING contains" (keywords). A track could be in one or more crates.

Currently the rules don't support "GROUPING IS EMPTY". So I've sorted all tracks in the base crate ALL by GROUPING .. selected all with empty GROUPINGs - and instead of pressing ALT+DEL I've pressed SHIFT+CTRL+DEL ... :-(
Rane, Support
Chad S. 10:48 PM - 25 October, 2010
ctrl + del = delete from Scratch Live
shift + ctrl + del = delete from hard drive

I usually recommend having "protect library" checked so you don't accidentally do these things.

The deleted files should be ion your trash. Since you are on PC, you should be able to find them in the trash and choose the "restore" option.
pueblofunky 6:44 AM - 26 October, 2010
Quote:
I usually recommend having "protect library" checked so you don't accidentally do these things.

I've managed my crates - so protect library was not checked.

btw: "protect library" should mean the SSL database and not the physical files on my harddisc.

Quote:
The deleted files should be on your trash. Since you are on PC, you should be able to find them in the trash and choose the "restore" option.

No - they are not in the trash because I've made a registry hack like:

samanathon.com

I'm using Explorer or better Directory Opus when I handle with files on my harddisc and this software always asks before I delete a file if I'm sure and I can reply "Yes / Yes to all / No / No to all / Cancel".

And if there is a file READ-ONLY (as all my music files) I get a second question like "Yes / Yes to all / No / No to all / Cancel" - so I can always re-check.

Your software is the only one which has NO security question and deletes the files although they are read-only. There is also no chance to press cancel. :-(
Culprit 7:02 AM - 26 October, 2010
ultimate fail, sorry bro thats not a good hack to have applied
JonLangford 7:54 AM - 26 October, 2010
Agreed Culprit, the Recycle Bin is your ultimate "safety net"

The alternative (although its probably way too late now) is to use a File Recovery tool to restore the files back in to the Recycle Bin.

Even with a SHIFT + DELETE all you are doing is marking those files to be able to be overwritten, if you haven't made any significant changes on that specific disk the files will still be there in one piece, you just need to recover them.
pueblofunky 11:53 AM - 26 October, 2010
I'm working as developer for 26 years now but I've never disabled a security question or always had software with security questions if I really want to delete the files and another question if they are read-only.

All in all - it's a big security mistake from SSL when you delete something and there is no security question by the software. Regardless if I delete into the trash or not.
JonLangford 1:13 PM - 26 October, 2010
"I've never disabled a security question or always had software with security questions if I really want to delete the files and another question if they are read-only"

Unyet you edit a REG KEY to allow the complete unquestioned deletion of files from your system??
pueblofunky 1:54 PM - 26 October, 2010
Quote:
Unyet you edit a REG KEY to allow the complete unquestioned deletion of files from your system??

What has "unquestioned deletion" to do with the REGKEY edit? Nothing.
JonLangford 3:08 PM - 26 October, 2010
The REG KEY allows you to "delete at will" does it not? Therefore you have removed the function that that asks you "are you sure you want to empty the Recycle Bin", the one option that would stop your unfortunate situation even though Serato has not Security Question

I would say EVERYTHING!
DJ Kerr-S 4:19 PM - 26 October, 2010
Quote:

Where can I get/learn more about this scratchtools?
pueblofunky 4:34 PM - 26 October, 2010
Quote:
The REG KEY allows you to "delete at will" does it not? Therefore you have removed the function that that asks you "are you sure you want to empty the Recycle Bin", the one option that would stop your unfortunate situation even though Serato has not Security Question

I would say EVERYTHING!

Serato should have 2 security questions:
1) do you want to delete the files phsically? (yes, yes to all , no, no to all, cancel)
2) if a file is read-only too ... a second questions should come "do you want to delete the read-only files phsically? (y,yta,n,nta,c)

Serato should have 2 options in the preferences:
1) Ask before deleting files
2) Ask before deleting read-only files

Depending on the options the questions above arrive.

Also Tag & Rename and any other software supports this. At least if something is read-only!

DELETE a file .. means delete. It is a Window feature that they will be moved into the trash where you can extra-delete it.

That's an easy to understand logic - programmed in any good software.
Rane, Support
Chad S. 5:42 PM - 26 October, 2010
pueblofunky 6:05 PM - 26 October, 2010
Quote:

Chad, you can write the key shortcuts multiple times.

I know them.

It was an accident. Short and effective I'd deleted a lot of tracks physically from hard disc.

If there would be a security question, "Are you sure ..." this wouldn't happen.
pueblofunky 6:14 PM - 26 October, 2010
A security question is a must-have (one for delete normal files, an additional question for read-only files).

I hope someone from Rane understands the problem.

And see this:
- I have 10.000 tracks on my hard disc
- After work in the office I've taken my music hard disc and prepared the music for the night - only djing 70s & 80s.
- During the crate management I've pressed shift+ctrl+del instead of ctrl+del ... and all my music files have been deleted.
=> I'd to go home 70 km, take my backup hard disc and back to the club ... summary 140 km and 2.5 lost hours ... only because Rane didn't implement a security question.
JonLangford 7:04 PM - 26 October, 2010
this is getting tiresome....

Perhaps is it a feature worth implementing, but i the grand scheme of things you changed a fundamental process (not a standard one either!) with the Recycle Bin that complete deletes the files from your disk rather than leave them there with the option to recover/restore them to their rightful home...

There is YOUR issue, not Serato's
_Stuart 7:07 PM - 26 October, 2010
+1
pueblofunky 10:58 PM - 26 October, 2010
Quote:
changed a fundamental process (not a standard one either!) with the Recycle Bin

So Serato is based on Windows deletion logic?

If Microsoft would change their logic on the operating system (e.g. Windows 8) to "not-to-move-them-into-trash" - the files would be deleted (by Serato).

It is Serato's job to prevent the user to delete the music files - REGARDLESS if Windows is moving them into a trash or not.

I also don't know why I set the files to READ-ONLY but Serato deletes the files. Their logic is different from updating ID3 tags. READ-ONLY files will not be updated from Serato with ID3 but it deletes READ-ONLY files. ???? What a logic.
Culprit 11:40 PM - 26 October, 2010
your the one who deleted the files and set the hack on your machine, not serato. You need to be more careful next time. The software the way it is works fine for me. You delete files it moves it to the recycling bin. That's the safety mechanism right there. Now if serato deleted the files without moving them to the recycling bin, I would see your point.
pueblofunky 3:40 PM - 27 October, 2010
Again - last time:

When I delete a track, the software is responsible to ask if you are sure if you really want to delete. If you say YES then the Serato calls the OS system call for DELETE.

The OS system call DELETE is doing something MAGIC - a feature called TRASH. I've disabled this feature.

This OS feature has nothing to do with the Serato security question. You can find these security questions in any professional software where you can delete/overwrite files. It's also bad that you can delete read-only files with Serato without any question, etc.

The only one professional reply came from user djdannyd : " i agree with the pop up asking to verify before deleting physical tracks." THANKS
JonLangford 5:10 PM - 27 October, 2010
The OS feature has nothing to do with the Serato security question, that is true, but YOU, YOURSELF and ONLY YOU disabled a "by design" feature of the OS that would have stopped you getting your cry-hole on about a feature that Serato has not implemented.

I don't see what makes this Serato's fault.

I've mistakenly pressed CRTL + SHIFT + DEL on occasions, but I am safe in the knowledge that my OS of choice will save these in a place where I can restore them without them being lost forever....

Clearly you are passionate about this feature So.... make a feature request, suck it up and move on brother!
pueblofunky 5:39 PM - 27 October, 2010
Quote:
I don't see what makes this Serato's fault.

It deletes files which I've set read-only. It overrules this setting.
JonLangford 8:50 PM - 27 October, 2010
make sure you're Recycle Bin is set to catch them then ;0)

....and rou nd we go again!!!!

I'm outta here.
Rane, Support
Zach S 10:05 PM - 27 October, 2010
We have a safely mechanism in place to make sure people don't accidentally delete their files which is the 'protect library' option in the Setup screen.

Between that and the ability to restore deleted tracks from the recycle bin I wouldn't think we need to add any new feature to the software.

If the feature your suggesting is something other users see useful then I'm sure, with enough talk about it, it will get added to the software.
The software is user ran in that way:)
pueblofunky 5:17 AM - 29 October, 2010
Quote:
We have a safely mechanism in place to make sure people don't accidentally delete their files which is the 'protect library' option in the Setup screen.

But this is not safe during I manage the crates.

I manage the crates. Not the files on my hard disc!

I've accidentally deleted the files instead of a crate.

What do you really understand with "library"? Do you mean your _SeratoScratchLive folders & database files only or do you include ALL the music files on the harddisc?

"Library" for me are ONLY _SeratoScratchLive folders & database files - NOT the music files itself.

I want an option "Protect files" to avoid an accidentally deletion of my files physically from the hard disc.

*** With this option I can manage my crates WITHOUT deleting the files accidentally! ***

Regardless of the new required option "Protect files" - it is important that SSL understands what the READ-ONLY attribute is and SHOULD NEVER delete these files without a security question. Please add this!
victor_M 12:31 PM - 29 October, 2010
Pueblofunky

you have made your point. however zach made a good point. If you feel so strongly about prompting for deletion make the suggestion here.
serato.com

I agree.. if your doing mass deletes it should prompt you just like it prompts you when you make Mass edit's on music files. (code is there I'm assuming a quick copy paste would do the trick)

However, it was your fault you erroneously hit shift + ctrl + del and made the hack to permanently delete files.

No hack = deleted files in the recycle bin.
pueblofunky 4:55 AM - 30 October, 2010
Quote:
However, it was your fault you erroneously hit shift + ctrl + del and made the hack to permanently delete files.

Yes of course it's my fault - but I AWAIT from a professional sofware that there is a security question as they ask for others - as you explained above.

I also AWAIT from a professional software that it DOES NOT delete READ-ONLY files and overrule my file settings.

SSL does not update read-only files (THANKS) - it should also not delete READ-ONLY files - but currently it does! :-(

The minimum requirement as a MUST HAVE is that it should not delete READ-ONLY files. It shouldn't be a problem to implement it (maybe only a parameter to change of the call of the system function).
pueblofunky 12:07 PM - 8 November, 2010
When deleting files from a network drive - there is no recycle bin - so the files are deleted permanently - so security questions/options MUST BE implemented.
JonLangford 9:27 AM - 9 November, 2010
FFS, someone close this discussion!! Point made a thousand times. Put in a feature request!!!