DJing Discussion

This area is for discussion about DJing in general. Please remember the community rules when posting and try to be polite and inclusive.

speakers?

DiGiTALRiCE 6:02 PM - 19 October, 2010
im going to dj my first house party in a few weeks and I need to get speakers. anyone have reccomendations?

someone told me pyramid speakers from radio shack would work.
BERTO 6:05 PM - 19 October, 2010
www.pssl.com use this to get an idea whats your budget? stand are real cheap now which is good too
BERTO 6:07 PM - 19 October, 2010
www.pssl.com powerd speakers in low price order
BERTO 6:08 PM - 19 October, 2010
www.pssl.com

i have these and have no complaints
DjLouSince82 6:10 PM - 19 October, 2010
b52's
DJ Dac 6:23 PM - 19 October, 2010
you could even do the gemini powered speakers, that's enough to rock a house party, we used these back in the day, we did add more speakers for anything bigger then a house party but it was a good start...
DJ Dac 6:24 PM - 19 October, 2010
www.pssl.com those guys...
Djaward 6:41 PM - 19 October, 2010
Whats your budget?
djlj 6:44 PM - 19 October, 2010
If you're just starting, you might want to look into renting speakers until you get your feet under you.

If you are going to buy speakers, just be aware that something like that should be an investment, not just a quick purchase. You want to get durable speakers that have clear and strong enough sound to handle the events you'll be doing. That said, there is such a thing as having too much speaker, though many guys would argue with me on that point.

I recommend JBL cabinets for mobile stuff. The mid-level stuff gets the job done and can really push some air without completely destroying a budget. I always recommend passive speakers, but I've seen a lot of guys use the EON series and do just fine.
DJ Dac 8:18 PM - 19 October, 2010
Quote:
If you're just starting, you might want to look into renting speakers until you get your feet under you.

+1 until they find out your throwing a rave... they tend to frown on that one...
DiGiTALRiCE 10:00 PM - 19 October, 2010
@berto those geminis are too big, i cant fit that in my evo, those other powered speakers look pricy but i think if i get my frat brothers to pitch in, maybe we can buy some of those for the house. my budget is small, im a broke ass college kid so i started djing for my second job.

heres what we are doing: we rented this mansion in newport beach and we plan to put speakers in the house and outside on the deck by the dock. we are expecting liek 1000 people. what do you guys reccommend for this? and what kind of lights should we use? we want to have black lights and flashing lights with different colors.
thewevel 10:10 PM - 19 October, 2010
hire a professional
djlj 10:22 PM - 19 October, 2010
Quote:
hire a professional
DJ Dac 10:27 PM - 19 October, 2010
ha, for that really hire a pro, 1000 isn't a small gig and you need some serious power for that... your rig will cost thousands...
reggae delgado 11:10 PM - 19 October, 2010
Quote:
ha, for that really hire a pro, 1000 isn't a small gig and you need some serious power for that... your rig will cost thousands...

Not to mention security & the fines you'll amass when the cops show & the cleaning bill for the rental mansion!
DiGiTALRiCE 6:22 PM - 20 October, 2010
Quote:
Quote:

Not to mention security & the fines you'll amass when the cops show & the cleaning bill for the rental mansion!

im not worried about that, the planners already thought about it and have security handled.
why hire a pro when i can do this for my bros for free? im going to tell them to rent some sound. what should we rent and who can we rent from?
DJ Dac 8:29 PM - 20 October, 2010
popcorn ready to go... I'm not in the so cal area so i have no clue who you would call...
DJ Dac 8:52 PM - 20 October, 2010
this is what you should do, as we did with my frat, have them buy some of your equipment and "volunteer" to be the house dj, when you leave either take the equipment with you as "payment" or use it for other gigs while in school then go buy your own stuff once you get out or get enough cash, i wouldn't recommend leaving it with the fools since the first week after we left it all got stolen since no one understands what it takes to be a dj and to look after your stuff...
Dj-M.Bezzle 8:58 PM - 20 October, 2010
Quote:

why hire a pro when i can do this for my bros for free?

DJ Dac 9:04 PM - 20 October, 2010
gotta start somewhere...
Dj-M.Bezzle 9:06 PM - 20 October, 2010
thats a whooole new conversation
DiGiTALRiCE 4:59 PM - 22 October, 2010
update, our frat's resident dj graduated in summer but we were able to contact him and he's willing to lend us his speakers and dj stuff. I think CD players with serato and a mixer and a bunch of speakers. I think he said something about qsc speakers. anyway he's giving us 10 speakers to use around the house. does anyone know what kind of speakers he talking about and how should we set them up around the house?
Dj-M.Bezzle 5:38 PM - 22 October, 2010
Just curious how long have you been DJing for??
DiGiTALRiCE 5:40 PM - 22 October, 2010
i just started over summer
Dj-M.Bezzle 5:41 PM - 22 October, 2010
So you just started over the summer and this weekend youll be playing for 1000 people on someone elses QSC speakers.........alot brave souls in that senario
DiGiTALRiCE 5:44 PM - 22 October, 2010
i actually started on my friends stuff in december but i didnt get serious till summer
DJ Dac 5:50 PM - 22 October, 2010
more like that guy is a brave soul lending out his speakers...
Dj-M.Bezzle 5:56 PM - 22 October, 2010
Quote:
more like that guy is a brave soul lending out his speakers...

(that was the main one i was talkin about LMFAO)...good thing QSC has a bad ass warrinty
DJ Dac 5:57 PM - 22 October, 2010
it took ONE TIME to learn not to do that EVER again...
DJ Dac 5:58 PM - 22 October, 2010
so Digitalrice, that means no red lines on your buddys stuff!!!
DiGiTALRiCE 5:59 PM - 22 October, 2010
what are red lines?
Dj-M.Bezzle 6:07 PM - 22 October, 2010
Quote:
what are red lines?

for the love of god please video tape this gig
DJ Dac 6:32 PM - 22 October, 2010
oooohhh buddy, first off you have to record your set(record button in sereato the upload on soundcloud/mixcrate) , second and almost more importantly redlining is when the lights on the mixer hit the red, a little yellow is ok, but red is bad, really really bad... that's how you blow speakers, and if you start to hear clipping(distortion) turn it down immediately. blow that kids speakers he will beat someones ass and its going to be whoever was behind the decks...
DJ Dac 6:35 PM - 22 October, 2010
oh yeah, and don't mess with the gains on the back of them either...
Dj-M.Bezzle 6:40 PM - 22 October, 2010
bump that the reds where the partys at dont come out of that LOL keep it in the red all night
djlj 6:41 PM - 22 October, 2010
As much fun as we're having here, this guy could use some help. :)

DiGiTALRiCE you really, really, really should look into at the very least getting someone with some experience with live sound to help you with your setup. Let's assume you are some kind of savant and after six months of casually messing around on DJ equipment you can rock the house. If you don't set up and operate your system correctly, your performance will sound very bad. People will complain, and some of them will even do it very loudly and directly while you are trying to spin.

If you have never worked with the equipment that your frat brother is going to loan you for the event, do so NOW. In the middle of a set is the wrong time to try to figure out where certain knobs, buttons, or connectors are located. Again, since you're just starting out, you want as much of that to operate as smoothly as possible so you can focus on handling your set.

I still maintain that you should hire a professional, but it sounds like you're pretty determined to do this. That said, I wish you luck and encourage you to continue asking questions here if you can't find the answers elsewhere on the forum or through an online resource.
sacrilicious 6:42 PM - 22 October, 2010
*TRACKING*
DiGiTALRiCE 7:10 PM - 22 October, 2010
thanks djlj , my frat bro lending the speakers is going to show me how to use them. We asked him to dj for us but he just wants to get drunk and pick up chicks lol.
Dj-M.Bezzle 7:11 PM - 22 October, 2010
hell end up on the decks
djlj 7:13 PM - 22 October, 2010
No problem man. I hope you're practicing in preparation for the event. Your crowd deserves to be stunned by your skills! Do you have any mixes you've posted so we can hear how you're coming along?
Dj-M.Bezzle 7:18 PM - 22 October, 2010
make sure your decks are on the correct sides of the mixer, serato acts up when you get em backwards
Audio1 7:27 PM - 22 October, 2010
WOW!
Dj-M.Bezzle 7:32 PM - 22 October, 2010
Quote:
WOW!

any chance of getting evil 1 to go moniter this gig? we may need a usb pulled
DiGiTALRiCE 8:18 PM - 22 October, 2010
Quote:
make sure your decks are on the correct sides of the mixer, serato acts up when you get em backwards

what do you mean ? if serato messes up i still have a bunch of burned cds i can play
how do i record in serato?
DJ Dac 8:19 PM - 22 October, 2010
as long as hes there you will be fine, just don't drink more then one or two beers before you go on...
DiGiTALRiCE 8:22 PM - 22 October, 2010
i hope hes not too drunk to help lol. how do i record in serato and where can i upload mixes?
Dj_KaGeN 8:29 PM - 22 October, 2010
"Track this Discussion" = <clicked>

Browser error -__noResident://badlook.dll/par_T_error.htm#__ - CntSeeTheLightOfDay.gig
Dj-M.Bezzle 8:31 PM - 22 October, 2010
Quote:
i hope hes not too drunk to help lol. how do i record in serato and where can i upload mixes?

what mixer are you usin, if its a 57 you just hit the record (above the crates) and name it, if its not a 57 youll have to DL a program like audacity and run an aux out from your mixer into the 1/8 inch headphone jack on your computer then record it
Dj-M.Bezzle 8:33 PM - 22 October, 2010
Quote:
Quote:

what do you mean ? if serato messes up i still have a bunch of burned cds i can play
how do i record in serato?

youll still need to make sure your players\tables are on the appropriate side, if you have them switched youll get mad acustic feedback from the amp waves being crossed as the reverberate back towards the mixer, you want left on left and right on right so the right wave reverbs back at a 90% angle and out into the crowd
djlj 8:36 PM - 22 October, 2010
Quote:
"Track this Discussion" = <clicked>

Browser error -__noResident://badlook.dll/par_T_error.htm#__ - CntSeeTheLightOfDay.gig

whoosh
DJ Dac 8:38 PM - 22 October, 2010
what are you using? sl1/3 57?
DiGiTALRiCE 9:16 PM - 22 October, 2010
My frat bro said hes bringing these: serato, two cdj100s, djm800, six hpr122 tops and six hpr18 bass bins
Dj-M.Bezzle 9:17 PM - 22 October, 2010
DiGiTALRiCE 9:20 PM - 22 October, 2010
lol nice
DiGiTALRiCE 9:20 PM - 22 October, 2010
are those good speakers?
DJ Dac 9:29 PM - 22 October, 2010
6 hpr18's, shits going to be flying off the walls, im guessing hes going to put most of them outside, and if hes bringing a sl3 im sure he already has it hooked up ready to record, go spend the afternoon with him and get him to run though everything with you, you can talk about it all day but until you touch it your not going to get it...
DiGiTALRiCE 9:37 PM - 22 October, 2010
i never used cdjs, i have stanton s252 cd players and a stanton smx 202 mixer from a dj in a box set. are they similar? should I bring my own serato?
Dj-M.Bezzle 9:40 PM - 22 October, 2010
thewevel 9:51 PM - 22 October, 2010
i think we're being trolled here
DJ Dac 9:56 PM - 22 October, 2010
Quote:

i would hope so...

what serato product do you use?
DJ'Que 10:00 PM - 22 October, 2010
Wow just wow your taking on a big task here. Pm me a number and we can talk im in buena park and i do sound. For whats going on with 1000 its going to be a disaster frats dont give a fuck about equipment, beer gets spilled on equipment, speakers fall drunk frats tear shit up. Been there done that. I cant believe he's letting you use all that and risk his shit blowing out and costing him major lut to repair. He must be rich.
Dj-M.Bezzle 10:02 PM - 22 October, 2010
Quote:

ive been thinkin that for a while, kids goin right down the list simple and by the book. Whoever it is is on his A game and hasnt slipped up though, nice work......that or tony littles little bro old enough to get in the game
DJ Dac 10:02 PM - 22 October, 2010
DR said hes going to be there with him, I'm assuming he will have an eagle eye on it...
Dj-M.Bezzle 10:04 PM - 22 October, 2010
...i dont know his account adds up, dates are in order, background check on posts indicates this is legit too....you wouldnt happen to be pauly little would you??
DiGiTALRiCE 10:07 PM - 22 October, 2010
im getting scared to dj now. im gonna ask my frat bro to teach me more tomorrow, I think he said he will dj too.
DJ Dac 10:07 PM - 22 October, 2010
did you see any charges of beating up the beat on that background check?
Dj-M.Bezzle 10:09 PM - 22 October, 2010
Quote:
im getting scared to dj now. im gonna ask my frat bro to teach me more tomorrow, I think he said he will dj too.

sure you have a few weeks thats plenty of time to master this craft
DiGiTALRiCE 10:12 PM - 22 October, 2010
ok i think im over my head on this one. i just figured out how to speed up and slow down songs today. I never could figure out why the markers on the screen never matched even when the bpm said they are the same speed.
DJ Dac 10:16 PM - 22 October, 2010
when i started, i always let the guy that knew what he was doing do the main part of the night, and make sure that hes right by your side for the first 30 or so min giving you pointers, also this was on vinyl not cdj's. my first rave i spun vinyl at i almost shit myself, and i was only up there for 30 min.... didn't bomb though, or i did, don't remember... but no one else said anything bad, so im counting it as a win...
Dj-M.Bezzle 10:17 PM - 22 October, 2010
Quote:
ok i think im over my head on this one. i just figured out how to speed up and slow down songs today. I never could figure out why the markers on the screen never matched even when the bpm said they are the same speed.

Dj-M.Bezzle 10:19 PM - 22 October, 2010
Quote:
when i started, i always let the guy that knew what he was doing do the main part of the night, and make sure that hes right by your side for the first 30 or so min giving you pointers, also this was on vinyl not cdj's. my first rave i spun vinyl at i almost shit myself, and i was only up there for 30 min.... didn't bomb though, or i did, don't remember... but no one else said anything bad, so im counting it as a win...

+1 if i were you if practice my ass off and get it down and do liek a 20 minute set before someone eho knows what hes doing, remember 1st impressions are forever, you have a good in for gigs by bein in the frat but if all 1000 people at the party here you mangling your way through the night youll forever be remembered as that guy who fucked the music up at their party
DJ Dac 10:27 PM - 22 October, 2010
not just party, rented mansion party.... once you prove to everyone that you CAN dj, then your allowed to get drunk and have some really sloppy nights, being a frat dj is the best, cause when your tired and to drunk and the girls are annoying, just turn you shit off, kick them out, then head out to party with everyone else...
DJ'Que 10:34 PM - 22 October, 2010
Quote:
ok your joking right.
DiGiTALRiCE 10:47 PM - 22 October, 2010
i wish i was, im still a noob but my frat bro said he is going to help me that night.
eder 10:47 PM - 22 October, 2010
Quote:
i actually fucked my friends sister in december but i didnt get herpes till summer

TMI. (nm)
stevie o 12:51 AM - 23 October, 2010
My eyes are bleeding. I just retired thanks

proceed
djlj 12:58 AM - 23 October, 2010
Quote:

I kind of thought so at first, then after checking some of the OP's other posts I think he might be one of those kids using Serato in Int mode, not knowing any better. I wouldn't have left those long responses to his questions if I had thought this was troll action.
bandoma 2:40 AM - 23 October, 2010
Quote:
i wish i was, im still a noob but my frat bro said he is going to help me that night.

what fraternity are you in? i went to UCI and was part of a fraternity with very talented djs. i wanna make sure that ur reppin us well.
Maskrider 9:57 AM - 23 October, 2010
OMG..............lol
tehBEN 3:51 PM - 23 October, 2010
Wow i think i just lost even more brain cells.
DiGiTALRiCE 4:12 PM - 23 October, 2010
Quote:
Quote:

what fraternity are you in? i went to UCI and was part of a fraternity with very talented djs. i wanna make sure that ur reppin us well.

Zeta Phi Rho, Omicron class, pledge 43
bill-e 4:17 PM - 23 October, 2010
ha i didn't wanna say anything but in my mind i was thinking this dude has a high possibility of being asain (probably cause of the RiCE)...googled zeta phi rho uci...and voila...i feel validated
djlj 4:45 PM - 23 October, 2010
Quote:
ha i didn't wanna say anything but in my mind i was thinking this dude has a high possibility of being asain (probably cause of the RiCE)...googled zeta phi rho uci...and voila...i feel validated

DJ Dac 5:01 PM - 23 October, 2010
bill-e, my mind when the same place when this thread started, i work in a pretty much all asian office, and i was thinking to myself that some of these questions were sounding very familiar... but seriously these guys are loaded, first off to afford a mansion, my frat could never have done that, and they have a guy there with some good equipment...
bill-e 5:13 PM - 23 October, 2010
Quote:
bill-e, my mind when the same place when this thread started, i work in a pretty much all asian office, and i was thinking to myself that some of these questions were sounding very familiar... but seriously these guys are loaded, first off to afford a mansion, my frat could never have done that, and they have a guy there with some good equipment...

word...it twas a "just sayin" moment
DJ Dac 6:31 PM - 23 October, 2010
i laughed to myself when you said that
eder 7:14 PM - 23 October, 2010
Quote:
ha i didn't wanna say anything but in my mind i was thinking this dude has a high possibility of being asain (probably cause of the RiCE)...googled zeta phi rho uci...and voila...i feel violated

something you want to share with the rest of us?
DiGiTALRiCE 9:47 PM - 24 October, 2010
Yea im asian. I know it's a stereotype if we put "Rice" in our screen names but hey It sounded cool when I made the screen name lol.
DJ Tecniq 1:51 AM - 25 October, 2010
If they are all asian play Got Rice. You're guaranteed to KILL it
DiGiTALRiCE 9:24 PM - 25 October, 2010
I've been talking to my Zeta Sisters and they are giving me a list of songs they want to hear on saturday. Hope it goes well, i got tests this week so I can't practice much. My frat bro said this "your CD players are shit, you need pitch control". LOL he's letting me practice on the mixer and cd players he's hooking up on sat.
DJ Dac 10:02 PM - 25 October, 2010
good luck man, your going to need it, you need to be listening and know all those songs in and out that those girls gave you, your not a juke box that keeps hitting the next button, the art of djing is how your going to put all those songs together to flow correctly, again were expecting some youtube action here!
DiGiTALRiCE 10:29 PM - 25 October, 2010
thanks!
Wazo 10:46 PM - 25 October, 2010
isnt omicron the name of a planet in futurama.

futurama.wikia.com
sacrilicious 12:06 AM - 26 October, 2010
Really looking forward to the Sunday update.
Dj-M.Bezzle 1:21 PM - 26 October, 2010
Quote:

your CD players are shit, you need pitch control

damn dude what were you using, a discman? lol
djlj 2:11 PM - 26 October, 2010
Quote:
hire a professional
DiGiTALRiCE 9:59 PM - 28 October, 2010
hey guys, my bro is letting me use these pioneerdjusa.com

I've been messing around with it and it's cool, but when I hit the stop it slows down then stops instead of stopping right away. what settings should I have on these things.
Dj-M.Bezzle 10:03 PM - 28 October, 2010
you have it in vinyl mose, there should be a knob to adjust stop speed on the right side or you can switch it to CDJ mode and instant stop it
Dj-M.Bezzle 10:05 PM - 28 October, 2010
1st rule of new equipment before you play with it take a secod to look at all the words on the equipment ...most of what you need is labeled very clearly...its like the creators of the old batman TV serises made this thing
DiGiTALRiCE 10:08 PM - 28 October, 2010
oh sick!!! the knob did it. thanks bro. is there a manual online for this thing? I couldn't find it on pioneer's site