DJing Discussion

This area is for discussion about DJing in general. Please remember the community rules when posting and try to be polite and inclusive.

someone has the same dj name as you...

skratch1t 9:07 AM - 31 March, 2007
someone has the same dj name as you, what do you do?

saying there is no trademark or copy right protections involved?

1. battle him/her
2. let it go.
3. change your dj name
4. force him to change his name
5. hurry the F up and get the copy right or trademark quick and sue.

what do you think guys..ive been thinking about this question for a while.
Dj Sparky 10:36 AM - 31 March, 2007
Quote:

what an american thing to say , that all you guys do is look for lawsuits
Vince 12:52 PM - 31 March, 2007
be better than the other guy, don't give him importance and look to it that the crowd knows u and not the other guy...
Dj Chris Deza 12:54 PM - 31 March, 2007
Well Skratch, lets say hipetitically speaking... I know some guys that know some guys that we never speak of, that for say a small donation to their favorable charity will make that dj you speak of, with the same name as you, well sort not how can I say it, well to put it litely... not be a problem any longer. Like I said read no evil, know no evil.
mister iLL 1:19 PM - 31 March, 2007
Quote:
Well Skratch, lets say hipetitically speaking... I know some guys that know some guys that we never speak of, that for say a small donation to their favorable charity will make that dj you speak of, with the same name as you, well sort not how can I say it, well to put it litely... not be a problem any longer. Like I said read no evil, know no evil.

HYPOTHETICALLY.

i'd say it would depend on the name....for instance, there's probably not too many dj's named "mister iLL", so i'd be a little bothered. however, if your name is something along the lines of "DJ Dave" or something, you can't really get miffed when you come across somebody else using the same moniker. might be a sign that a name change is in order....
DJ CRANK 1:52 PM - 31 March, 2007
Hey whats good, I had the same problem my name is DJ Crank, heard the was another guy named DJ CRank, that just changed his name a few months ago. I got curious went to his myspace page and the dude had took my logo and everything. I shot him an email, he replied with an apology said someone else gave him the logo after they heard his name(stole it off my page) We chatted for aminute and I help him come up with another name, and turned him on to the guy that did my logo.

Anyway is this the same Mr Illz that works at Mars Music(wont say where), I came to your store awhile back and you gave me a lesson on Serato, which I really appreciate and have been using. I appreciate it kid.
DJ Yaz 2:14 PM - 31 March, 2007
Add 1 to the end of your name or hurry the F up and buy the associated domain name. Having the... myspace.com/djipickedthisnamefirstbeyotch1 ...helps also :)
Pete Moss 3:09 PM - 31 March, 2007
Trust me, there is a lot of work when another DJ has the same name as you. the Pete Moss recently called me about this. It is difficult trying to figure out a new name, especially when you were the one using it first and you've built a business and a reputation on it.

My opinion is to try and work it out. Being nice can go far, and sometimes someone has to alter their name; even slighlty. I'm thinking of trying something slighlty different.
sixxx 5:35 PM - 31 March, 2007
True story. I got my DJ name back in 1992 when I first started DJ'ing. Later on I officially changed my name to reflect that. Yup. I'm talking Social Security Number, Drivers License, Credit Cards, the works.

A few years back, I stumbled upon a guy using Sixxx as his DJ name. It's funny how I found it. I was searching for something and his name came up. Anyway, he was running a website forum. I joined the forum, found his AOL screen name and contacted him. HE KNEW THAT I EXISTED and he had been to my website already. Although he swears that he didn't steal the name from me. Anyway, it was obvious to him that I had been using it far too many years before him. But, he didn't change his DJ name and I didn't ask him to. We became cool. I was known on his website as "The Real DJ Sixxx" and he was just DJ Sixxx. lol

It would've been easy to take this through legal channels and what not. Actually, it is still easy to do so and he and I know I would win in a heartbeat. However, he spins Hardcore and I spin Hip Hop, etc. So, he's basically covering the shit I won't even touch. lol

It really has never bother me. He lives in Arizona. I live in California. I think he changed his name from Skittles to Sixxx. As you can see, he has a hard time picking stuff that's not popular. lol

Anyway, now I found out that there's a radio DJ in San Diego going by the name of Sixx... I think his name is with 2 x's however. He does spin hip hop and such. Does it bother me? Nah. I would probably hit him up on the legal side and I'd win too as he's only been a DJ for a while. Either way, right now, the legal drama and the headache is something I don't need.

So, that's not to say that later on I may not change my mind and sue or something. In any case. I rather battle these 2 fools first. I know I got more skillz and experience than them. hahaha!
DjWoody 6:11 PM - 31 March, 2007
Let's see...

DJ Woody #1 (Me)
www.djwoody.com

DJ Woody #2 (Vestax World Champ)
www.woodwurk.com

DJ Woody #3 (UK)
www.djwoody.co.uk

DJ Woody #4 (dunno who this guy is)
www.djwoody.net

DJ Woody #5 (A Friend of mine)
This guy actually has the same first name as I do!!!

DJ Woody #6 (Famous Trance DJ & Producer)
www.woodyvaneyden.com

DJ Woody #7 (Some DJ From Germany)

And I know for a fact, there's many more DJ Woody's. But honestly, it hasn't bothered me yet. We all play for different crowds, different styles and in different cities. I don't think people confuse us at all.
sixxx 6:13 PM - 31 March, 2007
Wow. That's waaaay too many DJ Woody's. lol

Whatever happened to originality? :P
DjWoody 6:21 PM - 31 March, 2007
hahaha belive me, I never really liked my name. It was given to me in high school . Everyone called me Woody, and I hated it! hahaha I tried changing it many times, but it never worked. Hey, but at least I got the .com! hahahaha
sixxx 6:25 PM - 31 March, 2007
lol @ the .com
De LA 7:46 PM - 31 March, 2007
I really dont see a law suite going anywhere. Even if you trade mark it. If the other dj is say in cali and you are in newyork...there is little chance people will confuse you two, to the point where either of you would be booked thinking it was the other dj. Now if your DJ AM, TIESTO, (Enter other BIG dj name here) You might have a fighting chance...
Ive run into this before at work. Some other company had the same name as us, neither was copy written but our company was started 15 years before the other company trying to sue us...so it was thrown out.
Dj Shamann 8:14 PM - 31 March, 2007
Quote:
there's probably not too many dj's named "mister iLL"

LOL I'd wager there's quite a few. You've taken one of the most popular descriptives in Hip Hop and thrown a "Mister" in front of it.
mister iLL 8:24 PM - 31 March, 2007
they aint on google....
sixxx 8:29 PM - 31 March, 2007
Quote:
Some other company had the same name as us, neither was copy written but our company was started 15 years before the other company trying to sue us...so it was thrown out.

I guess you can see why your company "won". Believe me. It would have been a different outcome if it was the other way around.

The point is that you can sue if you want to. Whether you win or not is up to the court to decide based on a number of things.

For me, it ain't worth the battle (yet).
Dj KaGeN 9:01 PM - 31 March, 2007
this is as close to my name as it gets...

Watchwww.youtube.com
DJ K-otik 9:03 PM - 31 March, 2007
I've found one other person with the same name as me, but he's like some 16 year old kid in Florida who is some sort of DJ/producer. I wonder how that's going for him.

The only other one I found was from New Zealand, I think.

Different markets, different audiences. Plus I don't think any of us has hit it big.

www.google.com

I'm the 1st, 4th, 5th, and 6th hit, so I guess that's not so bad . . .
djtripp 9:31 PM - 31 March, 2007
Tripp is my last name, so I think after 17 years and a good lawyer i'd win! :D
allenbina 2:44 AM - 1 April, 2007
dj firstname lastname. unless your first name is si and your last name is xxx, you wont have any problems.
skratch1t 7:29 AM - 1 April, 2007
personally id would just battle them.
Being the one and only Dj"insert name here", i have to admit that would be just awesome.

what involves in a trademark anyways? i know there are people who know how this process works, the legal mumble jumbo and what not. im just curious if i should do it or not.
J_Static 4:16 PM - 1 April, 2007
Found another DJ STATIC searching myspace, he's some whiteboy in the midwest out in buttf**k egypt, middle of NOWHERE....

Then there are countless artists(multiple genre's) named Static with record labels....

And finally there's DJ STATIC from I believe Denmark or somewhere in Europe, dudes a sick turntablist and I've had people find my myspace page or email and send me messages like: Are you from europe? UR sick, etc.....

I picked up the name Static seven years ago after moving from Miami to San Francisco. Originally my dj name was BLAZE which I used in Tampa and Miami, figuring I moved for a new start on a new coast I'd pick a new name. Sitting in front of my new G4 Mac Tower playing with beats, I pondered what a cool name would be......

After racking my brain for 20 minutes, I'm staring at my desktop and noticed the name of my harddrive "Static (My father rebuilt my Mac & named the drive)." I put DJ in front of it and was like: Sounds good, it's mine!

#1) I'd battle dude from the midwest, but NOT the actual DJ Static from Denmark/Europe because that would be murder.

#2) Let it go, sure cuz I've already done that, u have to come to grips that someone else out there in the world has your name as well, and if your lucky enough to be under a major label, then let the labels lawyers fight that fight....

#3) Never! I like this name, people in San Fran know me as that and it'd be crazy weird to up and change my name like: DJ STATIC is dead, meet DJ .....

#4) Read last part of #2

#5) Would love to, but I know Static from Europe probably owns the rights to the name (at least in europe, unsure about the U.S.) The suing part isn't the real fun part, the fun part is having a "Cease and Desist" letter sent out by your lawyer team
DJ C.A.P 12:57 AM - 2 April, 2007
uhh i havent met anyone with my dj name :)
dj cubicle 12:59 AM - 2 April, 2007
Quote:
personally id would just battle them.
Being the one and only Dj"insert name here", i have to admit that would be just awesome.

what involves in a trademark anyways? i know there are people who know how this process works, the legal mumble jumbo and what not. im just curious if i should do it or not.

i suppose my cyberlaw prof would be proud of me if i chimed in. after i get my homework done i can break it down for ya. :)
skratchnerd 1:00 AM - 2 April, 2007
The only way to settle an argument is in a DJ Battle,

TO THE DEATH!!!
djtripp 6:04 PM - 6 April, 2007
Quote:
uhh i havent met anyone with my dj name :)

DJ C U P I bet no one has THAT ONE! ;)
DJ SPAIR 12:46 AM - 7 April, 2007
I'm glad someone finally posted this. Where do we draw the line between biting or being unaware? No offense,but if your Dj name is Quest,Flip,Scratch or Juice. Most likely there are a million other DJ's with same name. I know of two DJ Quest's that are scratch DJ's. I also know two Dj quest who are club/party rockers. Who is the original Quest? I feel the person who has put in the most work deserves the right to the name legally.So I would say Dj Quest from Space Travelers. I remember there was a dance DJ out of Florida calling himself DJ Craze. Dj Craze of the Allies took him to court and won,even though the other Dj Craze had been dj'n longer then Dj CRAZE-ALLIES.

Overall I think DJ's should do there research to make sure they're not infriging on another DJ's name.Even when you think you might be the orginator. The link below will give you some helpful tips about registering your name
Psyko Logical 3:36 AM - 7 April, 2007
I recently found an mc named Necro who has a record label called Psycho Logical Records. Any one think this could be a problem? He's not a DJ, and I spell mine with a 'K', but I don't want any problems with affiliation.
DJMark 6:39 AM - 7 April, 2007
Quote:
Quote:

what an american thing to say , that all you guys do is look for lawsuits

I thought the "American" thing would have been to 6. have the other person gunned down. Maybe this society is "kinder and gentler" than I thought. :-).
DJMark 6:41 AM - 7 April, 2007
Quote:
Trust me, there is a lot of work when another DJ has the same name as you. the Pete Moss recently called me about this.

When I first saw you on here I thought you were him until you posted something about the music you play.

Now that I think of it, it's been quite a while since I've seen anything noteworthy from "the" Pete Moss.
kev_the_dj 6:45 AM - 7 April, 2007
Quote:
True story. I got my DJ name back in 1992 when I first started DJ'ing. Later on I officially changed my name to reflect that. Yup. I'm talking Social Security Number, Drivers License, Credit Cards, the works.

A few years back, I stumbled upon a guy using Sixxx as his DJ name. It's funny how I found it. I was searching for something and his name came up. Anyway, he was running a website forum. I joined the forum, found his AOL screen name and contacted him. HE KNEW THAT I EXISTED and he had been to my website already. Although he swears that he didn't steal the name from me. Anyway, it was obvious to him that I had been using it far too many years before him. But, he didn't change his DJ name and I didn't ask him to. We became cool. I was known on his website as "The Real DJ Sixxx" and he was just DJ Sixxx. lol

It would've been easy to take this through legal channels and what not. Actually, it is still easy to do so and he and I know I would win in a heartbeat. However, he spins Hardcore and I spin Hip Hop, etc. So, he's basically covering the shit I won't even touch. lol

It really has never bother me. He lives in Arizona. I live in California. I think he changed his name from Skittles to Sixxx. As you can see, he has a hard time picking stuff that's not popular. lol

Anyway, now I found out that there's a radio DJ in San Diego going by the name of Sixx... I think his name is with 2 x's however. He does spin hip hop and such. Does it bother me? Nah. I would probably hit him up on the legal side and I'd win too as he's only been a DJ for a while. Either way, right now, the legal drama and the headache is something I don't need.

So, that's not to say that later on I may not change my mind and sue or something. In any case. I rather battle these 2 fools first. I know I got more skillz and experience than them. hahaha!
Oh yeah. I've heard him on Blazin 98.9 before they all got fired for Payola. =P

He wasn't that great at all...
dj disturbed 6:54 AM - 7 April, 2007
There is a big names DJ around here named Richy Rich (does E-Hop..... out of GA area and uses serato) and also i know a DJ White Chocolate around here (a good friend of mine) who used to be a radio personality for the main urban station in the area and "earned" the name from the other DJ's and artist that were at and came through the station.. and he also worked for MTV for a short time... but not on screen
bman 1:55 PM - 7 April, 2007
Had Mine for 13 years Now

alot out there now

Bman
Djbarry 4:25 AM - 24 April, 2016
Hello everyone, My Name is Barry, I started my dj service in 2003 or 2004, well for 6 months or so I couldn't think of a good name, while I was driving home from doing a show at a flea market, I seen this sign I said to my self that's it. I could use this in a different way. so I went home jumped on google then did a domain name search, and found out the dj service name was open and I could buy it for 1.99. I was excited, so the next thing I did is searched google for the same name to see if anyone was using any where in the world. I searched for 3 days never found it any where so I paid for it and I still have it. But now another guy or guys have the same name except for an S. here we go watch close.. this is mine.. eosdj.com the other guys is eosdjs.com now mine means elements of sound disc jockey the other guys means the same thing so what do I do. he got his domain name in 2004 I have had mine since 2002 or 2003. what do I do.. help
The Return of Dj Sparky 12:49 PM - 25 April, 2016
the only solution is to stop djing
DJ TooBlackforBET 6:36 PM - 25 April, 2016
Kill him.

It's like highlander, there can be only one
Djbarry 10:18 PM - 25 April, 2016
Stop djing lol boy you be Crazy! I will stop when I am to old to talk. Its cool tho I'm getting an
Attorney.. I got nothing better to do right now.. beside its not that I need the money, Its the idea of someone using my exact name to the letter. I'm a Vet, I get Paid well for serving My Country, But I will not set by while someone uses my name!
The Return of Dj Sparky 10:27 PM - 25 April, 2016
how is it your name if you haven't trade marked it, registering a domain is not the same as registering a trademark

typical american answer to sue someone when you haven't a clue
The Return of Dj Sparky 10:41 PM - 25 April, 2016
also his site looks better then your one
DJ Reflex 1:14 AM - 26 April, 2016
I wouldn't worry too much about it if the other guy isn't treading in your area. I searched high and low back in the early 90's for mine too and found some dude in Germany with my name. No threat here in the states as far as I can see.
DJ Remy USA 8:27 AM - 26 April, 2016
Quote:
the only solution is to stop djing

I died
DJMezzaninn 10:07 PM - 20 July, 2016
Hi, I am trying to figure this out too. I had a dream ....and I always follow my dreams. LOL. One day I dreamed of naming my self "DJ Soul Fracture" but that is not my style. So I decided to check that name out and guess what I found! A man who was interested in one of my French song recordings a while back when I had a band! He turned out to really like my music and artistry. It was like reverse stalking! I was flattered. Anyway...so years later I decided to DJ (On Virtual DJ for fun) and dreamed again of DJ Mezzanine. I really like that name because I always liked Balconies and its a weird reason really...but I dreamed of the name and I decided to use it. A year later I found out there is another DJ with almost the same name. I changed my name to Mezzaninn so he wouldn't feel upset. But now I am wondering do I have to change my name? Or can I keep it Mezzanine like I wanted to. I saw his stuff its good. But he and I would never spin the same music. I brought the .com rights a year ago and now he calls himself "nameOfficial" So are we in the clear?
It bothers me that he might think that I would intentionally steal his name. Is one letter name change "Mezzaninn" (now) better so we are all happy?
DJ Remix Detroit 12:26 AM - 22 July, 2016
Quote:
I had a dream

Change your name to DJ Dr. Martin Luther King Jr.
DJ Ravien 3:06 AM - 22 July, 2016
Quote:
Quote:
I had a dream

Lmao
DJMezzaninn 10:17 PM - 22 July, 2016
I bet that name has not been used yet. Hmmm..... Lol!

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
I had a dream
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Lmao
DJMark 5:12 AM - 23 July, 2016
Quote:
Quote:
I had a dream

Or DJ Melania Trump
D_J_TomCat 3:13 PM - 4 December, 2016
OK reading the comments not sure I found an answer. Here's my situation, I have been using DJ TomCat since 1995 (TomCat being a nick name I got during service in the US Army, because a sergeant of mine could not pronounce my last name "Tomasello", so he just called me Tomcat. I adopted it as a DJ name (again back in 1995). I am recently getting back into DJ'ing after an 11 year break due to RL stuff, and Lo and Behold are like a million DJ TomCat's :o lol So, do I continue using my name? (there is 1 guy who actually made the name for himself in Europe also) Am open to suggestions on this.
DJ Remy USA 8:20 PM - 4 December, 2016
just go by TomCat instead of DJ TomCat, or TomCat Sounds, etc
D_J_TomCat 5:00 PM - 5 December, 2016
Quote:
just go by TomCat instead of DJ TomCat, or TomCat Sounds, etc

Actually was considering adding USA (like on my DJ facebook page), wasn't sure on it..but see you did the same so may just do that :)
Dj_steveo 4:18 AM - 6 November, 2018
I'm DJ so☆Cal over found two djs with the same name but do t have the star between So Cal am I straight just curious
your momma 3:17 AM - 7 November, 2018
i got the same problem. im DJ TOBI. theres a whole bunch of Dj toby's out there.

so now i gotta change my dj name.

im thinking dj your momma. but theres probably a bunch of those too.

then you got dj's who change their name every year.

i think everytime i decide on a name, its already taken.

so what to do? use my real name? i think i should stick with being DJ TOBI.

the story behind that name is i thought whats the worst possible dj name to use? thus i was DJ TOBI.
your momma 3:18 AM - 7 November, 2018
i might become DJ FRANK CASTLE. anyone know if that name is available?
Lou Dog 12:20 AM - 10 November, 2018
Dj tomasello