DJing Discussion

This area is for discussion about DJing in general. Please remember the community rules when posting and try to be polite and inclusive.

breaking records

albuddah 4:00 AM - 28 March, 2007
done some searching, and i've found a few things on how to break records, but i just want to see if there are any small things im missing.

generally, when breaking in a record, i should give the crowd small pieces of it through a set and sort of preview it before dropping it? and when dropping, it can be helpful to use the mic to hype it up?

does juggling it around work at all in the clubs? or is that more of a radio/mixtape thing? are there any other ways to add in some hype to make sure it doesnt clear the floor?
Hilton Soiree 4:18 AM - 28 March, 2007
i always prefer to mix it in, instead of giving the crowd small pieces, but i'm kind of a mixing whore, i prefer to have everything mixed in during my sets.

you can use the mic if you want, but from self experience, those in the club just wanna hear the music, they're not really looking forward to hearing the dj talk over it.

juggling can work if you have a constant beat playing on at least one deck. being at a club is all about dancing to the beat, so if you take that beat away while trying to do some turntablist stuff, you'll kill the dance floor, and then that guy that was about to dance with that girl is gonna give you "the eyes" for taking his opportunity away.
sixxx 4:27 AM - 28 March, 2007
I don't know where you DJ at Hilton Soiree, but in some clubs you can juggle and do turntablist shit at clubs and they'll love you and respect you for it.

Anyway, if it's an easy record to break (meaning cool club beat), just feed it to them a few times during the night or play it every single time you're on. Pretend you're radio. They need to hear it lots of times before they love/accept it.
Hilton Soiree 4:30 AM - 28 March, 2007
well i guess that it does depend on the club, i mostly go to the ones that don't cater to the top 40/hip hop crowd, and it seems like the in thing to do is to keep a constant beat on the floor.
sixxx 4:36 AM - 28 March, 2007
Quote:
well i guess that it does depend on the club, i mostly go to the ones that don't cater to the top 40/hip hop crowd, and it seems like the in thing to do is to keep a constant beat on the floor.

Do you mean to say that turnablists don't keep a constant beat on the floor? That's essentially what you're doing when you're juggling. :P
Hilton Soiree 4:40 AM - 28 March, 2007
:P if you're good, i've seen too many bad turntablists in my time.
sixxx 4:41 AM - 28 March, 2007
Quote:
:P if you're good, i've seen too many bad turntablists in my time.

Then you've seen too many bad DJ's then.. not turntablists. lol

I know what you mean though. Man oh man! I saw this guy a couple of weeks ago who would've done a better job with 2 CD players. Maaaaaybe.
That Guy 1 3:34 PM - 28 March, 2007
Could everyone just agree to stop calling "back-spinning" "beat juggling", please?.. just because I said so?
Andyman187 5:05 PM - 28 March, 2007
Quote:
Could everyone just agree to stop calling "back-spinning" "beat juggling", please?.. just because I said so?

Back Spinning & Beat Juggling r 2 diff things.
That Guy 1 10:21 PM - 28 March, 2007
Quote:
Quote:

Back Spinning & Beat Juggling r 2 diff things.

No, back-spinning is a part of juggling, but it's real cheesy to call 'back-spinning', 'juggling'. I would only use the term, 'juggling', if the routine were advanced.
albuddah 2:20 AM - 29 March, 2007
i thought backspin was when you just spin the record back sorta quick and it sounds related to a scratch. and i thought juggling was when you basically create a looped sound by playing the same bars back and forth between tables.

but i dont see any way a backspin could help in breaking in a new record.
That Guy 1 5:23 AM - 29 March, 2007
Quote:
i thought backspin was when you just spin the record back sorta quick and it sounds related to a scratch. and i thought juggling was when you basically create a looped sound by playing the same bars back and forth between tables.

but i dont see any way a backspin could help in breaking in a new record.

No, "back-spinning" is looping a record. Simply, "juggling" is a more elaborate version of "back-spinning".
albuddah 7:22 AM - 29 March, 2007
what is the very last thing done in this video called?

Watchyoutube.com

i thought that was backspin? does it refer to two different things?
albuddah 4:54 PM - 30 March, 2007
i have another question: how do you break in a record that isn't a club beat in the style of 'walk it out' or 'lean back', ie something similar to 'my love', that's just a different sound?
dj disturbed 5:00 PM - 30 March, 2007
Quote:
i have another question: how do you break in a record that isn't a club beat in the style of 'walk it out' or 'lean back', ie something similar to 'my love', that's just a different sound?

in some clubs... that IS a club beat.....