DJing Discussion

This area is for discussion about DJing in general. Please remember the community rules when posting and try to be polite and inclusive.

NovationDicer <OR> Denon DN HC 1000s

scooby 7:00 PM - 9 October, 2010
Novation Dicer DJ Midi Controllers

OR

Denon DN-HC1000S USB MIDI Controller

Thoughts please and pro v's cons...
Cyberia 10:57 PM - 9 October, 2010
I've had a chance to play with both and just ended up buying the Denon. The buttons are a bit more responsive and I could never get used to using both hands for triggering cues. Run on sentence for sure...lol. Dicers are really cool though and more compact.
nonplus 6:28 PM - 10 October, 2010
i have and use both...

the dicer is sick but limited. i use it for all my cue punching and loop/loop roll stuff. the positioning is the shit for many reasons and applications.

hc1000 is more complex. i use it for EVERYTHING else. its more intuitive and has a ton of functions. i use it for navigating serato fields, scrolling, track loading, inst doubles, key lock, and have it set up to control the internal fx for serato. i love the way it lights up and blinks when i have a loop riding. it's very telling.

i havn't noticed any diference in response between the 2. i never touch a mouse or keyboard. the control strip on my 57 only gets used for the onboard fx now.

they're two completely different products that share some functionality. the desicion is yours but having both is bees knees.
dj-freestyle 11:04 PM - 10 October, 2010
I use both and for different stuff. The denon is my everything controller and the dicers r for just certain stuff but if im takeing my cdjs out i need my denon for sure.
nik39 2:27 AM - 11 October, 2010
The Denon is just too heavy.
gotchuckz 7:01 AM - 11 October, 2010
Quote:
i use it for EVERYTHING else. its more intuitive and has a ton of functions. i use it for navigating serato fields, scrolling, track loading, inst doubles, key lock, and have it set up to control the internal fx for serato.

i can do the same with the dicers.
dj-freestyle 3:10 PM - 11 October, 2010
No where near with the dicers what the denon does.
Dj-M.Bezzle 3:15 PM - 11 October, 2010
it all depends on what your looking for, if you just need quick access to loops and cue points then go with the dicers, if you looking for a more all encompasing controller and have room in your setup for it id go with the 1000
dj-freestyle 3:17 PM - 11 October, 2010
Good explanation and i feel like for my turntables the dicers are fine but if you use cdjs the dicers dont sit anywhere well.
nonplus 5:13 PM - 11 October, 2010
Quote:
Quote:
i use it for EVERYTHING else. its more intuitive and has a ton of functions. i use it for navigating serato fields, scrolling, track loading, inst doubles, key lock, and have it set up to control the internal fx for serato.

i'm sure the dicer is great for controlling serato's fx. cmon man... i know you can map it to do just about anything including controlling your mom's vibrating butt plug but why? i was just pointing out what i used mines for.

bez said it best.
Dj-M.Bezzle 6:21 PM - 11 October, 2010
Quote:
Quote:

some things just work better with an infinte turn knob over a button
peds 9:46 PM - 11 October, 2010
i use dicers and an x1, i think the x1 is way ahead of the denon for using with serato's fx. the dicers are a must have even if you have another controller, for the price they are pretty much everyone can afford them. i've set mine each side of the mixer on the corner of the flight cases. i highly recommend them
DJMark 1:36 AM - 12 October, 2010
I like the Denon unit, but I'm now on my second sample of the thing...and the second sample is doing the same thing the first one did. The most frequently-used buttons are starting to become unreliable.
Logisticalstyles 2:16 AM - 12 October, 2010
I have the Denon and think the Dicers are nice but, I can't see myself spending money on something that does what my Denon already does
bill-e 2:23 AM - 12 October, 2010
Quote:
i use dicers and an x1, i think the x1 is way ahead of the denon for using with serato's fx. the dicers are a must have even if you have another controller, for the price they are pretty much everyone can afford them. i've set mine each side of the mixer on the corner of the flight cases. i highly recommend them

really, to keep your hands as much as possible away from the comp (cueing up, loops) the dicer is really intuitive. i don't have the x1 yet, but the combo of both is ideal imo, albeit pricier. and somebody (i forgot who) created some mappings for it to work.

and -1 to denon's pr to the other members of the serato fam
dj-freestyle 4:36 PM - 12 October, 2010
Now that denon has mapped the unit to effects i couldnt see usieng anything else. it does it all.
DJ Knappstar 2:29 AM - 17 November, 2010
I am using the dicer and love it although once or twice at home ive not been looking and cued the track to the wrong deck and thank god i wasnt at the club but i was recording a set......so just be aware of where your loading things too for the midi controller...also and this was at a party i was doing i had a sub under the table i was using and it vibrated the god dam things off my mixer where i keep them near the crossfader (lost the gay ass "putty") then when it hit the deck it hit a cue point and fucked everything up luckily the track was a banger and people just kinda looked at me then kept going hahahaha

Anyways that my experience i love it like seriously its a nice tool

on the denon i am wondering like the orange looping section and the green beat section does the 1000 have a feature like this or is that the main reason lots of peeps in here have both????

thanks all
dj-freestyle 4:08 PM - 17 November, 2010
Ya the denon does.
DJ Knappstar 12:08 AM - 18 November, 2010
thanks dude ill youtube it!!
ninos 12:15 AM - 18 November, 2010
DICERS! they kick ass. gotta love cues/loops/loop rolls at the tips of your fingers.
DJ Knappstar 12:18 AM - 18 November, 2010
@minos already bought those bud seems like the dm is gonna be pimp im always using the pitch for minor adjustments if the BPM's aren't exactly in sync now that's incorporated so yeah i ordered it today should be here within a week or two!
armed98 3:03 AM - 14 February, 2011
Maybe a dumb question but I scored some Dicers and I already have the Denon but they don't seem to work together when I plug them in (I get one or the other) I love the Dicers because of the positioning,but the Denon with the new midi mapping rocks!!!
DJMark 3:52 AM - 14 February, 2011
The big fail for the Denon is reliability, and lack of serviceability.

They seem to have gone out of their way to make the switches underneath the button-pads as difficult as possible to clean, and on three samples of this unit I've seen the most frequently-used switches (CUE-1 in my case) start to get unreliable within 6 months or so.
dj_soo 10:23 AM - 14 February, 2011
for you mac users that use multiple controllers, I'm assuming you use a USB hub? Does it need to be powered to run (and power) 2 midi controllers?
DJWALDO 2:34 PM - 14 February, 2011
Quote:
The big fail for the Denon is reliability, and lack of serviceability.

They seem to have gone out of their way to make the switches underneath the button-pads as difficult as possible to clean, and on three samples of this unit I've seen the most frequently-used switches (CUE-1 in my case) start to get unreliable within 6 months or so.

same problem a friend I know have had. went to the store together I bought dicers he bought the dennon. his cue 1 and 2 no longer work on either side. still preaches about the knob though. my dicers have never failed. about 7 months of use
dj-freestyle 3:20 PM - 14 February, 2011
The denon is built like a rock and ive used it almost everyday with no issues for a year. Love it.
peds 5:45 PM - 15 February, 2011
Quote:
for you mac users that use multiple controllers, I'm assuming you use a USB hub? Does it need to be powered to run (and power) 2 midi controllers?

i think it helps to have a powered hub, i have 3 controllers, soundcard, ssl,external

this is the one i use and have no problems

www.amazon.co.uk
dj-freestyle 7:54 PM - 15 February, 2011
We use the d-link powered at work for my day job and djing and all the computer people i ask say its the best but im sure its all what you like.