DJing Discussion

This area is for discussion about DJing in general. Please remember the community rules when posting and try to be polite and inclusive.

beat matching intros!

dj A deep 2:15 AM - 26 March, 2007
ok i got one problem is really annoying and it holds me back. I thought i ask the experts on this board.when im beat matching songs that don't start of with bass and claps u no songs that have intros,like ice cube you can do it, it has a intro before it starts of. i have problems mixing shit like that. it seems im always off beat.any one got tips that can help me out.its just intros like that kill me lol
dj A deep 2:16 AM - 26 March, 2007
it's just intros like that that kill me****
Jay-R 4:53 AM - 26 March, 2007
get the instrumental.
JayB1200 11:19 AM - 26 March, 2007
in that song when the beat does drop you can loop the first 8 beats..
DJ Lil Vito 1:41 PM - 26 March, 2007
I always just cold drop Ice Cube's You Can Do It - the ladies love it. But you need to use your cues, you don't always have to start at the beginning of a song. If you're using Serato, the relative mode allows you to loop, so you could do that, and then return to song start by setting and using your cues.
Dj Chinn 2:40 PM - 26 March, 2007
Use the loop affect to make your own intro's to how you like it!
DJryantheHUGE 2:52 PM - 26 March, 2007
One cool way is to loop the beat, mix that loop in and fade the other song out. Then get another copy of your looping song on the other deck, and mix it in.
DJ-A 4:17 PM - 26 March, 2007
CUE, before i had Serato, and even more sense... i rarely use the very begining of a song. i only play what i want people to hear
cappinkirk 4:55 PM - 26 March, 2007
I always use a red tag on the 1/4 beat. I use purple to indicate a 1/4 chorus and orange for the 1/4 start of a vocal. You can make your own rules for weird times but it will help you get started.
eder 5:38 PM - 26 March, 2007
hey for ice cube, after the long and drawn out intro, there's a 8 count or a 16 count before the hook drops in. you just gotta mix it in at the right time for it to work.
mobius909 6:02 PM - 26 March, 2007
find your beat by matching the rest of the song and if need be count backwards from when the "1" beat to find out where you need to drop it so it'll line up.
shiestO! 8:05 PM - 26 March, 2007
depends on the intro seriously... i prefer a song with an intro that drops on beat to a song that just goes straight into vocals.
De LA 8:32 PM - 26 March, 2007
the older hip hop stuff should be easy to find a down beat to mix into. Look at some early NAS like one love. Early hip hop is good to practice with for intros. If you try to mix the new stuff like Young Jeezy where he doesnt STFU and needs to talk about how street he is, you wont get far. Thats why companies like funkymix and Xmix are around.
DJ Lil Vito 9:03 PM - 26 March, 2007
Quote:
the older hip hop stuff should be easy to find a down beat to mix into. Look at some early NAS like one love. Early hip hop is good to practice with for intros. If you try to mix the new stuff like Young Jeezy where he doesnt STFU and needs to talk about how street he is, you wont get far. Thats why companies like funkymix and Xmix are around.

Well said. I miss the old school sometimes.
Pete Moss 9:31 PM - 26 March, 2007
Ice Cube might not have a beat intro, but the intro is in proper time.
coitus 9:57 PM - 26 March, 2007
^the intro (when the music comes in after all the talking) of 'you can do it' is pretty darn close to being on time. Not exactly on beat though.

Ive heard this type of thing refered to as 'air beats'. What ive done a few times is take part of the instrumental and with an audio editing program paste that over the 'air beats'. Usually at a lower volume. Just whatever sounds good.
dj A deep 12:21 AM - 27 March, 2007
Quote:

what do funkymix and Xmix do ?
DJ Art Pumpin Payne 5:25 AM - 27 March, 2007
Funkymix and Xmix (Lethal Weapon, etc) and many others remix songs with DJ friendly Beat Inrtos and Outros and Breaks:

<www.ultimix.com

Take a listen...
DJ Art Pumpin Payne 5:27 AM - 27 March, 2007
Quote:
Quote:

what do funkymix and Xmix do ?

Ooops bad link, here is correct one: www.ultimix.com