Software help archive

A read-only archive of old serato.com help threads.

Faulty usb cable could cause Serato to freeze?

Product
Scratch Live
Version
-
Hardware
Ortofon | Serato S-120
Computer
-
OS
Platform
-
Denny 4:44 AM - 25 March, 2007
Hi. I recently had to replace the usb cable and on the first night using it out not only did Serato freeze on my computer but on another DJs that was using the same cable. Is this something that has happened to anyone else? Would a faulty cable cause Serato to freeze? Is there better / worse brands to use? The cable was one of the Belkin USB Lighted Cable from Turntable Lab. I actually have another lighted cable that works fine but...

BTW this is the first time Serato has ever froze up on me.

Any comments or suggestions appreciated. Im using version 1.7.1 of Serato on a 2 GHz Intel Core Duo Macbook w/ 2 gigs of RAM.

Thanks!
Konix 5:02 AM - 25 March, 2007
I'd generally try to stay away from USB cables with LED lights in them, at least for plugging in the SL1. Indeed, the cable may have been causing the problem.
Denny 5:55 PM - 26 March, 2007
Serato team?

=)
Rane, Support
Shaun W 6:58 PM - 26 March, 2007
If you can reproduce the problem using the same cable on multiple computers, the cable is more than likely bad and causing the problems you're experiencing.

Quote:
I'd generally try to stay away from USB cables with LED lights in them, at least for plugging in the SL1. Indeed, the cable may have been causing the problem.

^^ I agree with Konix ^^
res 11:44 PM - 26 March, 2007
my serato is freezing occasionally and im getting mad usb dropouts. im starting to wonder if its the usb cable. ill try a different one and let you know...
res 3:25 AM - 27 March, 2007
tried a different cable and still having the same problems. i wish it were just that simple...
probe dms 4:04 AM - 27 March, 2007
i just added a usb 2.o card to my g4 tower and the card in the comp is screwig with my usb. i get drop outs and lil statikey sounds. when i remove the card and use the usb 1.0, it works fine
Rane, Support
Zach S 6:00 PM - 27 March, 2007
Denny,

Have you built all of your overviews and gotten rid of any corrupt files the builder found?
Rane, Support
Zach S 6:01 PM - 27 March, 2007
Res,

Please post your issue in a seperate thread so we can better help you, and keep the current discussion organized and on track. Thanks:)
Denny 6:27 PM - 27 March, 2007
Hi.

Question: Even if there is a corrupt mp3 that isnt being used / played could it still cause Serato to freeze? I always trash the corrupt files but there may be one or two in there still.

I went and bought a non led cable today so Ill let you know what happens.

BUT could a faulty cable cause Serato to freeze?
Denny 6:28 PM - 27 March, 2007
And yes.. I always re-scan ID3 tags and build overviews as soon as I import new tracks.
Nicky Blunt 11:16 AM - 28 March, 2007
Zach would not having built overviews cause my computer to crash?

If purchasing a new laptop what would the recomendation be from a serato employee?
Rane, Support
Zach S 3:43 PM - 28 March, 2007
Quote:
Zach would not having built overviews cause my computer to crash?

Yes. Building overviews scans for corrupt files and tags them with a corrupt file icon that looks like a cd with a crack down the middle of it.
If you find any of these you need to delete them from your library.
Corrupt files and a computer overheating are really the only two things that would cause SSL to crash.

Quote:
If purchasing a new laptop what would the recomendation be from a serato employee?

We always suggest buying a Mac.
Its a much more stable OS and you will have less problems with it in the long run.
Nicky Blunt 3:49 PM - 28 March, 2007
Zach you are the man!!!

Any specific model?

Or at least specs not to go below would be really helpfull!

Sorry im kinda retarded when it comes to computers!
Rane, Support
Zach S 4:33 PM - 28 March, 2007
I would suggest getting atleast a 1.5 ghz with atleast 1gig of RAM.
The new MacBooks are good machines and the older G4s.
The minimum system requirements are a 1 gig with 512mb of RAM but I would get something bigger just to give you some head room.
Nicky Blunt 6:18 PM - 28 March, 2007
Quote:
I would suggest getting atleast a 1.5 ghz with atleast 1gig of RAM.
The new MacBooks are good machines and the older G4s.
The minimum system requirements are a 1 gig with 512mb of RAM but I would get something bigger just to give you some head room.

Thanks also I asked this question again unwittingly (i did warn you im a retard lol) so apologies in advance for that!