DJing Discussion

This area is for discussion about DJing in general. Please remember the community rules when posting and try to be polite and inclusive.

Anyone want to teach me how to scratch!?!

Certified Quality Entertainment 9:08 PM - 23 March, 2007
I've been DJing for years. Mixing is obviously not a problem for me. I have been a mobile DJ since I started, so I never really got into scratching even though I did start out on turntables. Anyway, I recently got into scratching and I know practice makes perfect, but what good is practice without basic skills, techniques and ideas to practice with. Im not practicing to be in the next DMC competition or anything. I just want to learn to incorporate into my sets and hold my own. Anyway...anyone in the long island area feel like helping out a fellow DJ??
DJ Young Herrera 9:16 PM - 23 March, 2007
Didn't you already post this before?
skratchnerd 12:26 AM - 24 March, 2007
DJ Qberts DIY vol.1
Dj Sire 12:33 AM - 24 March, 2007
if your in ny i could tutor you.
for a fee let me know
Dj Cassidy 12:48 AM - 24 March, 2007
check out youtube. its hard to filter some of the shit out sometimes but there are some good beginner tutorials on there.
HittinSkinzTa2 12:49 AM - 24 March, 2007
Sire, where in NY are you from?
jazzy gym 1:31 AM - 24 March, 2007
you cant teach someone to skratch. skratching is self-taught and learned.
Rick Hodgkins 1:37 AM - 24 March, 2007
Same thing here, just bought tables and need serious help.
Any links to good tutorials would be greatly appreciated.
Certified Quality Entertainment 6:13 AM - 24 March, 2007
Did I post this before...not to my knowledge. Maybe I had made a comment on something but didnt make a set post for it. DJ Sire...where in NY are you? I looked on youtube for some stuff, it is definatly a little helpful, but its hard to get feedback from a video.

Jazzy - I agree with you, Most things I attempt at I do well. Whether it be sports, school, work (not to brag or boast) but I think I am able to do that with a little push in the right direction and some feedback. I think you can practice all you want, but if you are practicing the wrong thing, it wont turn out right and actually hinder your progress. Just my thoughts.
dj A deep 11:08 AM - 24 March, 2007
yeah man. i just wanna learn some basic scratching!!!!
ralph 11:56 AM - 24 March, 2007
again:

Dj Qberts - do it yourself vol. 1
Osiris 12:10 PM - 24 March, 2007
Quote:
I think you can practice all you want, but if you are practicing the wrong thing, it wont turn out right and actually hinder your progress. Just my thoughts.

Practicing the wrong thing??? There is no right or wrong way to scratch. You either can or you can't. Period. All of it was developed by accident, or by a need to be more creative without a care in the world of what was right or wrong. That is what distinguishes an individual's style from everyone else.

So, you can either teach yourself and develop your own styles, techniques, and patterns (which is what I would recommend, but that's just my opinion), or you can learn from others and sound exactly like 20,000 other DJs who scratch.
Certified Quality Entertainment 1:48 PM - 24 March, 2007
Quote:
Quote:
I think you can practice all you want, but if you are practicing the wrong thing, it wont turn out right and actually hinder your progress. Just my thoughts.

Practicing the wrong thing??? There is no right or wrong way to scratch. You either can or you can't. Period. All of it was developed by accident, or by a need to be more creative without a care in the world of what was right or wrong. That is what distinguishes an individual's style from everyone else.

So, you can either teach yourself and develop your own styles, techniques, and patterns (which is what I would recommend, but that's just my opinion), or you can learn from others and sound exactly like 20,000 other DJs who scratch.

I agree with you 100%, I am just looking at it from another angle. For example (and Im sure this happend to many of us in school at one point or another). Say you are working on a math problem and you cant get it right. You try and try and still no way getting the right answer, you become frustrated after many times trying to do it. Then someone comes over and says, well try it this way, and you do and then you say OHHH...thats all I had to do, and it becomes the easiest problem to do. I agree totally that you need to develop your own styles, techniqes, etc. But I think a push in the right direction is something that some people need. Just like everything else, people learn skills faster than other, people need more of a push than others. If that wasnt the case then we would have coaches. Pete sampras is arguably one of the best Tennis players ever, yet he still has a coach to help him while he trains.

I think I am definatly going to grab Qberts videos also. I saw soem of them on Youtube, and they are like 2 minute clips of each scratch, is that how the whole video is, or he has other things for beginners. Because some of the things I saw, i am no way ready to do.
Dj Maxim S 4:36 PM - 24 March, 2007
keeep all your fingers a lil bent...nails not too sharp(might hurt urself) and whereva its itching...move ur finger in the rhythm...in a constant motion...

thts for the beginnners! lol!!!

or you could buy a stubborn cat.....ouch i hate tht screetchin scratch noise cats do!!! lol

sorry brov....jus kiddin...well i m in the same situation as you are...yeh qbert diy is a good option or type

"dj 101 scratch tutorials" tht not bad either
Dj Maxim S 4:39 PM - 24 March, 2007
i would say...just practice...moving the scratch sample back and forth with fader open till you get in full control of the record or the sample and use "ARGHHH" sample...and yeh once u done that....try makin patterns thts goin on in ur head...like qbert said "scratchin is like your talkin to someone" forget scratching to the beats for now...coz its a long process mate...
kev_the_dj 11:43 PM - 24 March, 2007
www.djforums.com

If you want to really scratch. Read upon this.
MusicMeister 5:20 AM - 25 March, 2007
Quote:
DJ Qberts DIY vol.1

Nuff said. I bought this video and it's a step by step on scratching. The end of the DVD where he loops on each type of scratch is PERFECT for learning.

I have a couple different DVD's on DJ'ing and some are good, some are bad, and some are just ok. This is the one that I recommend hands down if you want to scratch.

I'm not 100% down with his TT setup section but that's just me. I prefer a lighter touch and a less agressive setup - but that's just me.

As for his scratching section - there is no comparison with ANY other video training aid out there. And youtube is ok for watching other people and seeing what you can build to - but this DVD ROCKS!
Dj Maxim S 11:56 PM - 25 March, 2007
ohkay soo wat dvd is it musicmeister....does it have a name...so that other people around here knows about it too..tht wud be gr8
ralph 12:59 AM - 26 March, 2007
WHAT!?! He just said it! "Dj Qbert - Do it yourself Vol. 1"
dannysnightout 3:45 AM - 26 March, 2007
the scratch academy if your in NYC,LA,or Miami
Certified Quality Entertainment 1:26 PM - 26 March, 2007
Quote:
the scratch academy if your in NYC,LA,or Miami

I was actually looking into that. Kinda hard with my schedule though (Full time day job, Masters program, moble gigs). It does look good though. I actually just ordered QBerts DIY. Should have it in a few days. Ill let you guys know how it is!
shiestO! 3:40 PM - 26 March, 2007
^^it's badass. we know. haha practice hard man.

"tuner control spray from radio shack,

get it now!"

pshhhh!!
Certified Quality Entertainment 4:27 PM - 26 March, 2007
hahahah..I seen that on Youtube actually. I think I should have it by Wed/Thurs. Lookin forward to it. New mixer in my future too maybe! :)
Nicky Blunt 4:10 PM - 27 March, 2007
both vol 1 & 2 are heavy like rosanne but the second edition is for the dj who has mastered all in level 1 & can compete with lamb chop & keep up!!!!!!!

BIG DVD tho!!!!!

Highly reccomend it!

Stay away from the x-ecutioners one tho as its just a look at what we can do rather than this is how we do it!

Anyone know any good jugglin tutorials!

I hear thats on diy vol3
djmelny 5:00 PM - 27 March, 2007
Quote:
hahahah..I seen that on Youtube actually. I think I should have it by Wed/Thurs. Lookin forward to it. New mixer in my future too maybe! :)

I know were u coming from...... its kind of hard to just apply it from a video i actually live in westchester area... wanna learn get in contatc with me www.myspace.com
Dj Sire 8:53 AM - 30 March, 2007
see if you could find this page called "the ever evolving scratch tutorial". I actually give lessons but im in ny and i'd have to charge scince im not working a dayjob right now.
Im actually teaching two people right now.
email me if you need the link for the scratches.
djsire2003@aol.com
Redi2roc 9:55 AM - 30 March, 2007
Try Goldbond I heard it works wonders for scratching!!

OH and thers some DJ shortee Videos on how to scratch shes very good and its easy to learn give it a go on youtube :) gL!
Nicky Blunt 10:00 AM - 30 March, 2007
Killa jewel is also another wicked female Turntablist!
ralph 11:32 AM - 30 March, 2007
Killa Jewel is HOT!!!
DJMello 2:47 PM - 30 March, 2007
link to "the ever evolving scratch tutorial"

www.asisphonics.net
skratchnerd 9:59 PM - 30 March, 2007
Q's got a new DVD coming out. Supposed to be an encyclopedia of all the skratches ever invented. Calls it the "Enskratchlopedia Bitannica" something like that...

Thats of course for the advanced-Skratch-Nerdlions like me.
lotty 10:55 PM - 30 March, 2007
Here is something called tutoritool that teaches you every aspect of turntableism and let's you get hands on. They are currently sold out but you can email them to see when they will release the new version.

Here's the website:
www.pedestrian.info

Here's the reviews:
www.i-dj.co.uk

www.skratchworx.com
DJ Dominus 10:58 PM - 30 March, 2007
The below site is super helpful. Videos, audio, and explanations of a lot of the various scratches.

www.flaredycats.com