Serato DJ Pro General Discussion

Talk about Serato DJ Pro, expansion packs and supported hardware

Beatgrid in 1.7 is a sleeper

seratosnatch 1:14 PM - 22 September, 2010
One major great thing about 1.7 is the beatgrid warping ability.
Seems the first dj software , besides Ableton Live, to offer independent warping.

Eve, Traktor does not offer this (yet).

All this griping on 1.7, but this version of Itch has some nice offerings, just needs to be ironed out a bit more.
kraal 4:05 PM - 22 September, 2010
completly agree if the drop out issue get cleared 1.7 top notch
Dj cuervo 4:53 PM - 22 September, 2010
beatgrid is ccol. I mix by ear dont need it. I need other features like video, sampler, bridge.
kraal 4:57 PM - 22 September, 2010
Quote:
beatgrid is ccol. I mix by ear dont need it. I need other features like video, sampler, bridge.

you will need the beat grid with bridge
bigdik magee 7:30 AM - 24 September, 2010
kraal: how become?
Dj cuervo 2:20 PM - 24 September, 2010
Quote:
Quote:

yeah SSL does not have it
BusinessMachines 2:24 PM - 24 September, 2010
Quote:

That must be why Serato is taking the time to create "A detailed tutorial on creating and editing beatgrids for use with Serato ITCH and Serato Scratch Live featuring The Bridge."

serato.com
Dj Fitty 4:44 PM - 24 September, 2010
Quote:
One major great thing about 1.7 is the beatgrid warping ability.
Seems the first dj software , besides Ableton Live, to offer independent warping.

Eve, Traktor does not offer this (yet).

All this griping on 1.7, but this version of Itch has some nice offerings, just needs to be ironed out a bit more.

thought Torq had it already
Dj Fitty 4:47 PM - 24 September, 2010
Quote:
kraal: how become?

I think all the effects and every thing will have to follow the grind when using the bridge, at least thats how traktor n torq works, if your gird is not set right all the effects will follow that off beat grid and sound like trash
seratosnatch 5:13 PM - 24 September, 2010
Quote:
thought Torq had it already

..maybe true..dunno
kraal 8:06 PM - 24 September, 2010
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

yes it does
haze324 10:19 AM - 25 September, 2010
as a 50/50 user of Itch and Traktor --- the beatgriding in Itch is MUCH MUCH easier to do and "warp". The waveforms and way of doing it are way user friendly in comparison.
seratosnatch 10:23 AM - 25 September, 2010
Yes, I agree. There is a lot of potential with the Itch beatgrid.
DJ G_Rad 7:31 PM - 25 September, 2010
Im with kraal. Drop outs suck a$$!
seratosnatch 8:13 PM - 25 September, 2010
Yes, the constant drops made me drop this version.
Dj cuervo 7:15 PM - 26 September, 2010
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

yes it does

i stand corrected.
D-RoC71 4:40 PM - 27 September, 2010
Quote:

M-Audio's TORQ had the beat grid and warping since 2008. They had the Key Lock option and the 16 cell sampler that you can sync your loop sample to the master BPM, the quick scratch, and the 16 multi efx that you can daisy chain since 2007.
seratosnatch 4:41 PM - 27 September, 2010
cool..seems nice..wonder why it is not so popular.
D-RoC71 4:47 PM - 27 September, 2010
Oh...it's popular. It's just that you're too hung up on ITCH or serato that you don't notice anyone or any other DJ software. You have a few here that uses it just don't talk about it.
kraal 5:09 PM - 27 September, 2010
Quote:

M-Audio's TORQ is very popular
seratosnatch 7:40 PM - 27 September, 2010
ah, I know it is popular, just not as big (I think) as Traktor or SSL. (that is I think ..:)
kraal 7:45 PM - 27 September, 2010
Quote:

ah after re- reading this i understand your wording..... i think it is plagued by the same thing that plagues virtual dj not universally stable
Rob Pointer 11:23 PM - 27 September, 2010
the warpable beat grid is the primary reason why I first decided to check out Itch.

Not going back after using it. It works really well IMO.

Love it.

rob.
djpanda818 8:38 PM - 2 October, 2010
Quote:

thats what the bridge is a sampler with ableton, besides beatgrid is great for live remixes of oldschool music played by live musicians where the beat never stays in a synced tempo....i was having sound drop outs and high cpu usage with itch 1.7 almost was not going to use it but thank god i found the problem on my comp and not itch...now it works beautiful with only 20-30% cpu usage at max no drop outs!
kraal 9:34 PM - 2 October, 2010
Quote:

thats what the bridge is a sampler with ableton, !

unless it comes free i will never say bridge is a sampler for itch
djreplay 2:52 PM - 9 October, 2010
Any suggestions.....Please? I think beatgrid is truly awesome for the precision and control. But I don't mix much house or techno. I am in the Pensacola, FL area and trying to develop a show that I can take to different clubs and feature old school soul, funk disco and R&B. As a result, by the time I beatgrid this demo playlist I'll be too old to perform.
Seriously, I have the playlist here for one reason and I would greatly appreciate any suggestions on how to set up these beatgrids (not in a hurry) but in a reasonable time period. I swear, the fun of DJ'ing is almost lost to the time period needed to prepare the list. As well, I have discovered that if you partially complete the list, get an idea, jump on the ones and two's (Numark NS7) and begin to work it, as soon as you bring in a tune that is not beatgrid prepared the whole set is thrown off.
If anyone is so inclined, please beatgrid this playlist and if you can do it in under 5 hours please share some of your suggestions and experiences.
I'm sure I doing it right because if these were all studio produced 4 on the floors I could get through the list in a little more than an hour...but the niche I'm trying to fill is full of fans that demand high quality versions of the originals.
ANY suggestions are appreciated.
These are BPM Progessive....
1. Positive K, I Got A Man
2. Follow the Leader, Eric B and Rakim
3. I Saw You and Him Walking In the Rain, Oran Juice Jones
4. Fake, Alexander O'Neal
5. It Takes Two, Rob Base
6. I Can't Go For That (Liebrand Remix), Hall and Oates
7. Rock Skate Roll Bounce, Vaughn Mason
8. Get Down Tonight, (Liebrand Remix) KC and the Sunshine Band
9. Never Knew Love Like This Before, Stephanie Mills
10. Ladies Night (Ultimix) Kool and the Gang
11. Set It Off
12. Jam On It, (Ultimix) Nucleus
13. Cricize, Alexander O"Neal
14. Take That to the Bank, Shalamar
15. Just Fine (Swizz Beats) Mary J Blige
16. 100 Percent, Crystal Waters (easy to beatgrid)
17. Dreaming a Dream, Crown Heights Affair (how many anchors does your beatgrid need?)
18. Grooveline, Heatwave
19. Feel the Need in Me, Detroit Emeralds
20. Down to Love Town, Originals
21. Din Daa Daa, George Kranz
22. Disco Nights, GQ
23. I'm Ready, Kano
24. Planet Rock, (Ultimix) Soul Sonic Force
25. Sonic Groove,
26. Da Dip, Freak Nasty
27. Whoop There It Is,
28. When I Dip
By the way, if you do get this done....enjoy the mix, you earned it.

Love and Peace(s) to All
DJ Replay
haze324 3:10 PM - 9 October, 2010
Well I don’t beatgrid songs that I don’t plan on “synching” many hip hop songs I’ll bring in just like you would on SSL or Itch 1.5

Ask yourself what do you need the beat grids for? Me I really use them of songs with long intro’s so they stay synced, or house/EDM songs that I may use loops with and I want them to stay in sync. If not for these two purposed what do you need the grids for?

Either way, a song in Itch takes 30 seconds to grid. I suggest you watch the DJTT vid on preraring grids in Traktor. It’s a good video on how to set up grids. The advantage traktor has is that you can place various grid markers through out a song. I’ll drop a grid on the first down beat and then scroll the the beginning of the track making sure the beat is lined up. Then I jump the middle of the track – if it’s still line up I jump to the end. If at any point the grid drifts I may make small adjusts on the grid or may just drop a new grid marker where it starts to drift. Then I jump to the end of the track and do the same.

30 tracks to grid should take you less than 30 minutes…..especially since some songs may already be gridded correctly.
djreplay 4:34 PM - 9 October, 2010
Thank you, That's getting very much to the heart of my issue and I am glad to know that there is a technique to this...truly, Thanks. To get to the detail, when mixing these dance and house party classics for the floor there is a deep need to keep the groove throughout music that goes from elaborate production basement made grooves. They are mixed in places that some house and techno tracks don't even have. It's truly freestyle but the Old School element keeps it fresh in that the dancers hear an old forgotten favorite "all of a sudden" but on time and in an extended blend where necessary. I'm sure there's a more familiar name to this style of mixing but it works very well with old school as long as you don't miss a lick and use fx carefully so as to not "distort" the memory associated with the tune.
Boy, if I can get this beatgridding down to even a minute, minute and a half per song I"ll be rocking. Thanks again, I'll check back often
haze324 4:52 PM - 9 October, 2010
i meant to say the advantage Itch has over traktor.

BTW - cool play list man. I have quit a few of those songs and many were analyzed correctly. Seriously watch the vid from DJTT on gridding and you'll see how much easier it is in Itch. You'll fly thru those songs.
kraal 5:47 PM - 9 October, 2010
@djreplay --- i really dont see a need in beat gridding these songs... standard sync works fine with very minimum nudging here or there.... i am guessing you dont want to have to nudge which i guess is ok but what are you doing when these songs are playing???? the duty of being a dj is a lot more than just playing one song then the next.... keeping songs like this in sync has always been a skill of a good dj
diezdiaz 2:03 AM - 10 October, 2010
woot 1.7 is drop out free for me!
beatgrid works nice, and already being familiar with ableton it wasnt hard to wrap my head around. in fact coming from ableton, got to say - being able to wind up and down to the beat with hardware rather then the mouse makes it feel more expedient and like less of a chore.

i do get loops glitches though. nothing too big but i do run into random anomalies