Software help archive

A read-only archive of old serato.com help threads.

ground

Product
Scratch Live
Version
-
Hardware
Ortofon | Serato S-120
Computer
-
OS
Platform
-
agesmax 9:43 PM - 29 March, 2005
how do u get grounded? what wires and how many? for my TTs and mixer. mixer is poineer 909 but orderd a&h xone 92
Revolutionary 9:50 PM - 29 March, 2005
Two ground cables (thin cables with two hook looking things at both ends) should do the trick. You attach one end to your turntable and the other one to your mixer. Didn't you get any with your turntables? Some newer turntables, for instance the TTX, has internal grounding though. Not sure if that's the case with your turntables though.
It's very important to ground your turntables, especially when using SSL.
BassChamber 9:55 PM - 29 March, 2005
i think agesmax is using some kind of ttable with internal grounding.

take care, sometimes this ttables suffer hum noise if connected with several other electronic devices and creating a "field".

it is hard to explain... hope you understand me.
agesmax 10:16 AM - 30 March, 2005
where duz the ground cable go? into an earth pin in the socket in the wall? can i just get a cable connected to a earth pin and pulg it in n wrap it round the earth bit on TT and tighten?
Revolutionary 12:20 PM - 30 March, 2005
Quote:
You attach one end to your turntable and the other one to your mixer.

That's it...
agesmax 12:26 PM - 30 March, 2005
so u need 2 ground cables? 2 cumin from the TTs connected to the mixer?

TT-----MIXER----TT

like that?

could u use any wire and tighten them into the back of the mixer?
Revolutionary 1:35 PM - 30 March, 2005
Yeah, you're correct about the two ground cables. One from each turntable. Not sure if your tables need grounding though.

Look at this TTM56. www.rane.com See where it says Phono Gnd? You should have something like that on your mixer.
agesmax 1:45 PM - 30 March, 2005
there is a switch on my TTs ground or ungrounded, u switch it to ground if there is a ground cable or ungrounded if its not grounded, supposed to be
Revolutionary 2:00 PM - 30 March, 2005
I'm starting to get the basic idea of what your turntables are like. When you use phono (like you should do in this case), you gotta ground it.
agesmax 2:39 PM - 30 March, 2005
my turntables r like BEASTS. i put it on the mixer as line but tables go to phono else it wont needle drop yes.

so could i just rig up a spare wire between the TTs n mixer??
is it a quite thin wire?
dj dawn 2:42 PM - 30 March, 2005
The newest TTs have internal grounding!
agesmax 2:50 PM - 30 March, 2005
duz the stanton st150 have internal grounding any 1 know? i dont think it duz, still its the best table u can get
agesmax 3:15 PM - 30 March, 2005
fuk sake answer! al jst need tae burst intae a whole new topic
Revolutionary 3:21 PM - 30 March, 2005
Quote:
duz the stanton st150 have internal grounding any 1 know? i dont think it duz, still its the best table u can get

How on earth should we know? It's your turntables. That should be pretty easy to find out when you got the turntables in front of you.
agesmax 3:54 PM - 30 March, 2005
there not in frunt of me but
Detroitbootybass 4:55 PM - 30 March, 2005
Quote:
its the best table u can get

Ha ha ha...

...thanks. I needed some comic relief right about now.
agesmax 5:28 PM - 30 March, 2005
2 and a half times more torque than a 1210 and voted best table stanton st150 is better than witever u have got ya prick
Revolutionary 5:30 PM - 30 March, 2005
Sounds like someone wanna get banned...
Dj KaGeN 5:41 PM - 30 March, 2005
Agesmax , you have got to be the most fired up set of fingers on this forum. You really need to lay off the piss n vinegar that you're downing for breakfast.

I have 3 of the STR8-150's. There are no grounds to be hooked up. There is no need to instigate a war of TT's and whole better - who's best.

Here is what the manual says:

Ground lift Operation
Due to the variety of power sources available to the DJ, Stanton has included a
ground lift switch to be used on the ST- 150/STR8-150 turntables. This will allow
the DJ to have the capability of changing the grounding scheme of the phono
cartridge to avoid ground hum that may occur when using the turntable. The ST-
150/STR8-150 Turntable has been designed to operate with third pin safety ground,
and should always be used when available. NEVER REMOVE THIRD PIN
GROUND FROM THE POWER CORD PROVIDED, IF NECESSARY,
USE THE APPROPRIATE ADAPTER FOR PLUGGING INTO OUTLETS
WHICH DO NOT PROVIDE THIRD PIN GROUND TERMINALS.
For best operation of the ground lift, the following rules should be applied
Wh e n t h i r d pin safety ground is used, set the ground lift switch to the lift
position. This position will isolate the cartridge ground from connection to earth
ground.
When third pin safety ground is unavailable, set the ground lift switch to the
connected position. This will place the cartridge ground in connection with the
chassis ground, but since third pin grounding is not used, the cartridge ground will
not be in connection with earth.
Dj KaGeN 5:42 PM - 30 March, 2005
oops - "whole better - who's best." was supposed to be Who's better - who's best.
agesmax 5:45 PM - 30 March, 2005
what is this third pin pish all about then?
Dj KaGeN 6:06 PM - 30 March, 2005
Stanton's Theory: If you arrive at a gig and have a wall socket that doesn't have GROUND, then using an adpter to the socket you'll be plugging in. Since the socket doesn't provide the 3rd pin(ground) you set your decks to ground differently to avoid noise. Altough this does leave you to trust this concept, when other decks have a physical solution with small guage wire that you connect to the grounding post of your mixer.
Detroitbootybass 6:13 PM - 30 March, 2005
Quote:
is better than witever u have got ya prick

Listen, kid... you need to grow up and learn that insults and grandstanding don't help you achieve anything in life (including help on this forum).

P.S. - I'd stack a Thorens with a Black Widow tonearm up against your Stanton anyday...
Rane, Support
Shaun W 7:12 PM - 30 March, 2005
@ DBB Don't fuel the fire mate :)

@ Agesmax have you tried what I posted earlier vv ?

Quote:
It sounds like your kinda confused about how to properly set up your system. From your other posts, I have read that you use turntables with a line or phono output level option, correct?

Lets do things one step at a time:

1. Set your turntables to phono mode (the switch on the back of your turntables)

2. plug the TT into the SL1 interface

3. Go to the setup screen and seletct "phono" as your audio input level.

4. Connect the LINE outputs of the SL1 to the line inputs of your mixer (for computer music/SSL playback)

5. Connect the THRU outputs of the SL1 to the phono inputs of your mixer. (the thrus pass the TT music/regular ol'records straight thru the interface)

6. Have your MIXER's Phono/line switch set to LINE when playing computer/SSL music and when you want to play a regualr record set your mixer's phono/line switch to phono.

The noise your hearing from the cartridge itself is normal, it's just the needle playing the grooves of the record (btw, it will do the same thing with normal vinyl if you listen closely :)), BUT when you're playing the control record with your mixer set to PHONO you'll hear a pretty load screeching noise, which is the control signal being amped and playing THRU the SL1 interface, going into your mixer and out your speakers.

I hope this helps. If not please let us know...we do what to help :-)
Serato
Josh 11:17 PM - 30 March, 2005
Quote:
fuk sake answer! al jst need tae burst intae a whole new topic

Have some respect for the people here please, we know a bit about DJing, you would probably benefit from making a few friends on this board.
djkenace 6:59 AM - 31 March, 2005
hahha geesh i like this forum you even get laughs out of it.
nobspangle 8:08 AM - 1 April, 2005
The purpose of a ground lift switch is usually to disconnect the signal ground from the power ground.
Basically you plug everything in, if you get a ground hum you flick the switch and it should go away. Some setups need the ground lifted some need it connected and some don't care. There are lots of factors.