DJing Discussion

This area is for discussion about DJing in general. Please remember the community rules when posting and try to be polite and inclusive.

What Is Your Worst Serato Experience Ever?

cappinkirk 5:33 PM - 14 March, 2007
I know everybody has great things to say about Serato (If possible I will never go without it again - I've got the TTM-57 & love it)...but what is you worst Serato experience?

Mine was when my mac sat on the white screen with the apple logo and the spinning icon and would not boot up so I couldn't play SL...I know it isn't exactly Serato's fault but it doesn't need to be for this discussion. I even tried to run Discwarrior & repair (it said I had fatal errors) , format my hard drive and reinstall Serato (wouldn't let me for mystery reason), but it would not let me do anything like a bad dream. I still held it down while this was happening with CD's & I even drove to my crib and grabbed a crate & made the best of a tough situation. Nobody in the crowd had any idea that I was about to drop kick my Powerbook...of course as soon as I got home everything started up fine & the problem has never duplicated. I ran discwarrior, backed up, etc. to be safe...
gzentertainment 5:37 PM - 14 March, 2007
Not Serato's fault, but here's mind.

I was DJ'ing at the company I work for's holiday party. I worked in the finance department, so I was cool with the CFO. They had me playing on a platform and he was up there jumping and dancing. Well, his jumping must have caused the cable from my external hard drive to pop out (all my music was on the external) and everything went silent. Closed Serato and opened it back up (with the cable secured) and everything went back to normal. He climbed down from the platform after that lol.
gzentertainment 5:37 PM - 14 March, 2007
*mind = mine
cappinkirk 5:54 PM - 14 March, 2007
hahaha I have had something similar to that happen too. One time I did a function and people kept knocking out the firewire power cable i think 3 times during my set(on maxtor it isn't difficult to do)I don't remember how I go through i think I switched over the the emergency ipod and restarted each time.
Dj KaGeN 5:59 PM - 14 March, 2007
reading this forum..... the software is rock solid.
cappinkirk 6:01 PM - 14 March, 2007
yeah but what if by everybody giving their worst experience it will shine a light on a new way to improve it that we may not have previously looked at? Then this post will be positive. I am NOT hating on Serato - I think it is the BEST thing to happen to DJ's ever.
Audio1 6:15 PM - 14 March, 2007
worst thing that ever happened wasnt on the computer side... an RCA wire went out on the channel 2. After letting 2 tracks ride out, I was able to install another RCA wire and BAM, problem fixed.

p.s.
people who use the stock RCA's from Serato. Dont wrap them around the box and expect them to be ok! Buy a good set of quality RCA's for your gigs, preferably, short ones with close access to the mixer.
DJ Autograph 6:21 PM - 14 March, 2007
^^
Yea stopped wrapping mine around the box for that particular reason....
maydo 6:25 PM - 14 March, 2007
spinnig bout 1,5 years with ssl, bout 2 weeks with ttm 57 ))
i dont have any worst experience with serato
everything is running well )
cappinkirk 6:33 PM - 14 March, 2007
so nobody has had a drink spilled into their laptop or anything? some drunk "amish (serato-hater)" DJ just decides to terminate your entire serato setup in a rage? nothing like that?
Thundercat 7:05 PM - 14 March, 2007
Worst experience: Waiting 3 weeks for my back ordered TTM57 in July of '06. Would have been longer but they had someone cancel an order and I snuck in there.

That's it.
CMOS 7:16 PM - 14 March, 2007
Worst experience.........watching well known board members buy Torq and say they liked it.
gars 7:24 PM - 14 March, 2007
The first time I ever used serato at a gig I had to bring my desktop and for some crazy ass reason the keyboard wouldnt work. Not fun but it wasnt too bad either. Now id be dead without a keyboard. And yes, I got home and it worked just fine.
Certified Quality Entertainment 7:38 PM - 14 March, 2007
Quote:
Worst experience was taking my lappy and hard drive with me to show some friends how cool my new software was only to realize that I'd left the SSL box at home.

"Uhh... so... yeah. Here's this cool list of music..."

Haha..thats pretty funny!
Audio1 7:43 PM - 14 March, 2007
^^ That or Loading a new track and play it, only to drag your next track to the playing deck... wooops! and To cover it up, You quickly re-drag the last track that was playing B4. LOL
Dj Ryme 7:44 PM - 14 March, 2007
so far my worse expierience has been at one of my mall gigs, I tried to load a few new songs that I had just imported that morning and I started to get mean ass usb drop-outs. Still dont know why but it hasnt done it since.......other than that, the program has been solid for me as well.
dj disturbed 7:47 PM - 14 March, 2007
how about a drunk girl desided to lean over my dj set up and hit the power strip button to cut power to everything while tring to tell me were request of play something that everyone can dance to (while the dance floor is packed)..... including the external drive, cd players (the 1200's RCA's went bad and i had not had time to replace them)
dj disturbed 7:47 PM - 14 March, 2007
her not were
shiestO! 7:50 PM - 14 March, 2007
Quote:
so nobody has had a drink spilled into their laptop or anything? some drunk "amish (serato-hater)" DJ just decides to terminate your entire serato setup in a rage? nothing like that?

are we to refer to non-serato dj's as "amish dj's" from now on? hehehe

tis well that we play only vinyl hezekiah. tis the lord's wish.
cappinkirk 7:52 PM - 14 March, 2007
lol one time i forgot my USB cable (1st time out) and 1 time i forgot my powerbook (d'oh!) but I handled it both times thankfully by being mad early at the show and getting what i needed in time.
cappinkirk 7:53 PM - 14 March, 2007
also i've been using "amish" for a while...beware the pitchforkers! my denali is pitchfork-proofed
Releaux 8:02 PM - 14 March, 2007
Quote:
tis well that we play only vinyl hezekiah. tis the lord's wish.

Ha!

Quote:
But it shall come to pass, if thou wilt not hearken unto the voice of the LORD thy God, to spin only the truly dope vinyl which I command thee this day; that all these curses shall come upon thee, and overtake thee:

The LORD shall smite thee with a consumption, and with a fever, and with an inflammation, and with an extreme burning, and with a really bad skip in the middle of the chorus, and with the sword, and with a corrupt registry if thy be on Windows or with corrupt preferences if thy be on Mac, and with cue burn, and with blasting, and with mildew, and with incorrect clean vs. dirty tags; and they shall pursue thee until thou perish.

Gotta go Old Testament on yo ass!
dj_soo 8:10 PM - 14 March, 2007
driving to a gig with 4 bags - laptop, EFX-500, a crate of vinyl, my 45s - my partner with his mixer, EFX-500 and 2 crates of records - set up with 1/2 left to our slot (doing a 2x4 set)open up my record crate and...

realizing I left my control vinyl at home.

Fortunately I lived like 10 minutes away so I managed to get home and back just in time :-\.
dj disturbed 8:16 PM - 14 March, 2007
how about this one......

We are setting up for a x-mas parade where the club had a float in it.. we had 2 dj set ups on the float... the other dj had put his serato records and slips mats on his tables without thinking about it... well we had to go around the block (wel over 2 miles down the road) to get in the right place in line and the driver of the truck pulling us went a little too fast and there went my friends serato vinyl and slip mats flying off his 1200's.. lucky i had spare vinyl and mats with me.
Freedom 10:43 PM - 14 March, 2007
Some random dude came up to the dj booth and started watchin....As I was going to hit a cue point on laptop. Thinking I was reaching for his hand he goes to Give me the pound with a beer in his hand.
As I go to hit key 1 he hit my hand and i then hit key 2 and three. and beer flew from his bottle on to my laptop. Luckly I had the plastic cover....But the song then stutters randomly and crowd watches me as I push this guy from booth and he then proceeds to cuss me out. I turn around to go back on tables then I get a beer thrown at my decks.. almost hitting my needle scratching my control record and then bouncing to floor. All I can say is security was glady there to help... Long night ruined record almost ruined laptop and a shattered mix I felt used.. then the next night I got hammered and forgot about it.
diego vega 1:13 AM - 15 March, 2007
I had only one crash once using a very early SSL version, probably it was around 1.0 - 1.2 , and I think it happenned because the USB connection got pulled out a bit somehow and lost it's connection or something (the whole OS X Panther system crashed, you know the screen with all the languages telling you to restart). Thankfully around that time I still carried a couple of real vinyl. So I had a couple seconds with silence, put on some real vinyl and continued. I restarted the iBook and continued using Serato on one side, and real vinyl on the other side in case anything else happenned again but it worked flawlessly.

More recently I was hooking up at the club (for a warm-up) and realized I forgot the Serato box, I had to go back home fast like hell to get it. ooops!

Also one time some demented b!tch was trying to get my attention because she wanted me to play reggaeton or something in an electronic music night club (plus i ONLY play minimal/techno music) so I kept ignoring her. Next thing I know I'm changing songs on the laptop and I hear a loud screech on the sound system and after that complete silence... freaking b!tch hit the tonearm and sent the needle flying off the record. Thank god it wasn't my equipment and nothing broke... but that's not Serato's fault anyway :D

true stories
Pete Moss 1:22 AM - 15 March, 2007
My worst experience is unplugging (accidentally) the hard drive in the middle of a bride and groom's first dance (who was the cousin of another DJ who gave me the gig because he was in the wedding).

That was the day I threw away my firewire cord because my laptop has that weenie firewire cord that always pulls out no matter how you try to support it.
bandoma 3:24 AM - 15 March, 2007
Serato crashed on me once. Luckily it was the begining of the night. I was mixinging in a song. Decided to drop that song into another crate while i was mixing...then the beach ball of death came up. Everything froze...then SSL crashed.

This is the only time its happened to me. I always bring a bag of records for backup. I threw on some vinyl...then restarted my comp. Everything worked fine.
Menace 8:10 PM - 16 March, 2007
Control signal issues in different, only with 1.7.x

www.scratchlive.net
Menace 8:11 PM - 16 March, 2007
in different clubs