DJing Discussion

This area is for discussion about DJing in general. Please remember the community rules when posting and try to be polite and inclusive.

subs

dJ bMaN 6:37 AM - 9 March, 2007
I just wanted to know what you all thought about the cerwin vega afterburner subs (earthquakes). I'm upgrading from my mackie 1501's.
DJ GaFFle 11:09 AM - 9 March, 2007
I don't think that's a powered sub...is it?
Certified Quality Entertainment 3:11 PM - 9 March, 2007
Ive heard them before... I think they sound good but they are freakin tanks...over 150lbs each! I know they have wheels but if you are using them for mobile I think they are very impractical. You need lots of room and muscles if you wanna move those things around. I myself have 2 JBL MP418S subs. I have them powered with a Crown CE2000. They BUMP!! And I know for a fact I can get them to sound even better if I get a bigger amp, but I dont have an extra grand to drop on a new amp, especially after gettin my new Mac and SSL. But if you are using them as an install somewhere, they are great..plus make a little stage for the girlies to dance on!
dJ bMaN 4:20 PM - 9 March, 2007
Quote:
I don't think that's a powered sub...is it?

Nope it isn't. I figured I'd buy some passive subs so I can have both. Powered isn't always good. I've had my share of powered subs breaking down. I decided to go with the vega's because I'm familiar with them. They aren't heavy at all, they are actually pretty light compared to some of the speakers I've messed with. Now the mackie fusion tops, ARE HEAVY!
Certified Quality Entertainment 4:27 PM - 9 March, 2007
DJ Bman...you dont think 150lbs is heavy? Being a moble DJ, trying to carry an awkward 150lb sub down the narrow,slipery,broken flight of steps in the kitchen of a catering hall isnt exactly the easiest thing to do! My JBLs are around 50 pounds and you can carry them like you would a 3way cabinet...makes it a lot easier when you have to move around these shady catering halls.
dJ bMaN 4:59 PM - 9 March, 2007
Not compared to the concert type stuff I used to carry. But keep in mind imma still have 1501's. I'll only use the vega's for semi-large places. And by the way, I've carried the vega's up 2 flights of stairs. Its like that saying, "what doesn't kill you, makes you stronger." lol
Certified Quality Entertainment 5:13 PM - 9 March, 2007
Oh yea..ive done that type of thing too. My big rack setup that I take to parties has 3 amps, 2 CD Players, mixer, 2 light controllers in 1 big rack...Shit has to be at least 200 pounds...Its not fun, but you gotta do what you gotta do. I expected that thing to kill me a long time ago so i guess Im pretty strong! :) lol. As far as mobile gigs, I go for as little as possible with as much BUMP. I think my JBLs do just that. But its all personal preference..the CVs do sound good though.
Rebelguy 12:48 AM - 10 March, 2007
I know the name sounds corny as hell but there is a cab called "The Growler" by JTR Speakers that you should check out. Here are the specs.

JTR's Growler subwoofer- single 12" driver, horn loaded
frequency response 45-100(40-100 in pairs)
Sensitivity 100db@1watt
+133db PEAK
1000watt music power 2
000watt PEAK
18mm 13ply birch cabinet(24mm baffle), 30"w x 20"t x 22.5"d
95 lbs, Line-X coating
Price is $899 shipped.

There was a huge subwoofer shooutout in NYC a few months back. The showdown was consisted of high end (meaning concert quality stuff) subwoofers from many of the majors. While the growler was not the loudest box it did hold its own and made a MAJOR impression on the sound reinforcement community that was there.
dJ bMaN 10:47 AM - 11 March, 2007
Yeah I heard about the growlers. I'm surprised that the box has a 12 incher in it. However, the only reason I'm so stuck on the vega's is because they can go down to 30hz and their casters and pole mounts.
Maskrider 9:54 PM - 2 January, 2008
just go to JTR website they can install the things you need. I'm saving to get a pair of those mini monsters
skinnyguy 9:28 AM - 3 January, 2008
kv2 ex2.2
Maskrider 10:14 AM - 3 January, 2008
Quote:
kv2 ex2.2

How much is this speaker?
Where can you buy it?
DJ GaFFle 12:51 PM - 3 January, 2008
Quote:
Quote:
kv2 ex2.2

How much is this speaker?
Where can you buy it?

Guitar Center was suppose to be carrying them. U might call your local GC and ask for KV2 audio. Get them to check their computer.
Rebelguy 4:45 PM - 3 January, 2008
Quote:
kv2 ex2.2

Incredible speakers. I have 2 of the EX-2.2s and 4 of the EX-12s. Nothing comes close to them as far as output for the size.
skinnyguy 6:24 PM - 3 January, 2008
i believe www.agiprodj.com can still get them. that's where i got mine. if not, try www.entsyscorp.com
matt212 7:03 PM - 3 January, 2008
Damn Rebelguy you got 4 EX12's?? I was thinking about getting another pair also to go with the EX2.5....but that would just me being greedy right now. lol
Rebelguy 8:26 PM - 3 January, 2008
Quote:
Damn Rebelguy you got 4 EX12's?? I was thinking about getting another pair also to go with the EX2.5....but that would just me being greedy right now. lol

Yeah but I bought them before the price increase. They are pretty pricey right now. The funny thing is that I have never used all of them together in a room. I have done parties of up to 400 - 500 with just a pair of tops and a pair of subs.
DJ GaFFle 10:31 PM - 3 January, 2008
Quote:

You guys must make hella money from your gigs because the EX12's are over $2k each!

Don't get me wrong, I'd love to be able to afford and purchase those speakers but it would be roughly $8k; whereas, the same setup I have with my 2 SRM450's and 2 1501's is 1/4 that!

I actually bought my whole Mackie powered setup for slightly more than the cost of 1 EX12. Granted, my 1501's were bought off Ebay for around $600 each.

I'm still fiend'n to hear those speakers... Nobody here has them.
Rebelguy 12:05 AM - 4 January, 2008
They are pricey but as I said before, I got them before the price increase that happened a year ago. They go pretty damn loud. Actually the only time I have been able to get them to clip is when I was doing monitors for Jazzy Jeff. He had a pair of them going full blast into each air.

i65.photobucket.com

I was wearing earplugs and 10 feet away and it still hurt me to be that close. He did comment that he loved the sound though...haha.
skinnyguy 3:37 AM - 4 January, 2008
u think he's deaf by now?
Maskrider 7:51 AM - 4 January, 2008
Quote:
Quote:

Yeah but I bought them before the price increase. They are pretty pricey right now. The funny thing is that I have never used all of them together in a room. I have done parties of up to 400 - 500 with just a pair of tops and a pair of subs.

Wish I had the money.
pdidy 10:13 AM - 21 June, 2008
Quote:
I know the name sounds corny as hell but there is a cab called "The Growler" by JTR Speakers that you should check out. Here are the specs.

Sensitivity 100db@1watt
+133db PEAK
1000watt music power 2
000watt PEAK
95 lbs, Line-X coating
Price is $899 shipped.

There was a huge subwoofer shooutout in NYC a few months back. The showdown was consisted of high end (meaning concert quality stuff) subwoofers from many of the majors. While the growler was not the loudest box it did hold its own and made a MAJOR impression on the sound reinforcement community that was there.

i own a pair of growlers, have u heard them live? if so ,how would u compare them to the kv2 ex2.2 or 2.5s . btw i would take the growler over the Vega.
DJ GaFFle 11:12 AM - 21 June, 2008
Quote:
Quote:

Sensitivity 100db@1watt
+133db PEAK
1000watt music power 2
000watt PEAK
95 lbs, Line-X coating
Price is $899 shipped.

i own a pair of growlers, have u heard them live? if so ,how would u compare them to the kv2 ex2.2 or 2.5s . btw i would take the growler over the Vega.

Do those Growlers have carrying handles? If not, how do you deal with the transport of them?
pdidy 5:05 PM - 21 June, 2008
yes they have 4 handles and can be ordered with wheels installed.